PDA

View Full Version : Fal Barrel cut and threaded

Outlaw
02-13-2007, 8:45 AM
Any recommendations in the SoCal area? I would like to get my FAL barrel cut down and threaded.
Also should I mount the barrel or leave it off when getting it cut?

ZapThyCat
02-13-2007, 9:00 AM
...isn't that illegal?

AJAX22
02-13-2007, 9:04 AM
...isn't that illegal?

not since september 14th 2005

Outlaw
02-13-2007, 9:08 AM
...isn't that illegal?
What?

I want it cut down to 16", that's the legal limit right?

Sydwaiz
02-13-2007, 9:12 AM
ar15barrels.com

Leave it off. Legal

SeanO
02-13-2007, 9:14 AM
Outlaw,

Go to the FALFILES.COM and look up Moses. He does cut/threading on barrels and does a good job. Good turn around time and prices are good but he is out of state. Leave the barrel off. HTH.

Sean

blkA4alb
02-13-2007, 3:45 PM
...isn't that illegal?
Why would it be illegal? :confused:

-hanko
02-13-2007, 4:55 PM
...isn't that illegal?
May be helpful to read the law or try searching this forum before posting.

-hanko

-hanko
02-13-2007, 4:57 PM
Any recommendations in the SoCal area? I would like to get my FAL barrel cut down and threaded.
Second Moses on the fal files. Another smith I've used a number of times for fal cleanup is Mike Crosby in Pocatello, ID. He's fast & a craftsman. Check the fal files for user 'mrbonecrusher', send him an email. You'll be happy with either smith, guaranteed.;)

Far easier if the barrel is not connected to the receiver. Remove the front sight and springs before shipping the barrel.

-hanko

GTKrockeTT
02-13-2007, 5:04 PM

Try Entreprise Arms. They CAN shorten and thread the barrel...just don't know if they WILL on their non-builds.

http://www.entreprise.com/

You may want to give Larry Hirota at Triple H Accurizing a ring as well. He is a respected FAL builder, (626) 334-2270.

Fjold
02-13-2007, 7:37 PM
What?

I would recommend that you cut it to 16 and 1/4 inches just in case the Gunsmith's and the BATF's tape measures are a little different.

C.G.
02-13-2007, 7:45 PM
What?

Why? You'll just get more muzzle blast and recoil. 16" barrels are better on a 5.56 platform. Once I asked Rich at CGW and his opinion was not to go shorter than 18" (17" 3/8 I think).

BTW, if it is a chrome-lined barrel I would not cut it at all as the chrome tends to flake off by the cut.

THE 0NE
02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
its going to look sweet i had mine cut down to 13.25 with a noveske welded on...

Outlaw
02-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Why? You'll just get more muzzle blast and recoil. 16" barrels are better on a 5.56 platform. Once I asked Rich at CGW and his opinion was not to go shorter than 18" (17" 3/8 I think).

BTW, if it is a chrome-lined barrel I would not cut it at all as the chrome tends to flake off by the cut.
I want it like JohnnyReb's FAL, but not blue. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192381
over at FAL FILES. He seems to have no problems with a 16" barrel.

Also thanks for all the replies. I got in contact with Moses and I will also give Larry Hirota a ring.

Outlaw
02-13-2007, 11:37 PM
its going to look sweet i had mine cut down to 13.25 with a noveske welded on...
How does your's shoot? more muzzle blast and recoil? I have a Noveske KFH in the mail, do you have the KFH or KX3?

C.G.
02-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I want it like JohnnyReb's FAL, but not blue. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192381
over at FAL FILES. He seems to have no problems with a 16" barrel.

Also thanks for all the replies. I got in contact with Moses and I will also give Larry Hirota a ring.

Is it going to be baby blue camo?:D

Outlaw
02-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Is it going to be baby blue camo?:D
LOL. That'll be the second build for my wife.

cadjak
02-14-2007, 1:44 AM
I have a new Argentine barrel that is already cut and threaded to 16 and a hair. If you are interested, Let me know. I will send pictures.

jester
02-14-2007, 7:45 AM
I have to second Randall@ar15barrels.com.
He will cut it down, thread it if desired, and crown it for you while you wait.
he did my AR gov. profile barrel.
Call him, #'s on his website. He's really busy lately though.
He's not an FFL so can't hold you're receiver.
Oh, his shop is very near culver city..

cadjak
02-14-2007, 9:09 AM
I second Larry Hirota as someone to do the work. He is licensed and therefore can have the receiver in his possession for the work. Either way, if you decide on a replacement barrel or to cut your barrel, it will have to come off the receiver. To do that the smith would need to know what he is doing and have the proper fixture. If not, you risk tweaking the receiver and that ain't good. I know everybody who owns a vise is assembling FALs. Go with someone who works on them specifically. Larry has been doing FALs for a long time.

Outlaw
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.

cadjak, pm sent.

THE 0NE
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
re:How does your's shoot? more muzzle blast and recoil? I have a Noveske KFH in the mail, do you have the KFH or KX3?

it shoots great i went from a break to the noveske brought the soung down tons. very little recoil it was the best thing i could have done to it. on noveske's web site they say the are ment to be used with shorter barrels.. and i have the kx3