View Full Version : Keeping Dry in the Winter during exercise

10-20-2011, 4:15 PM
The morning marine layer was in rare form this morning. During my workout I realized that I was drenched and getting cold, moisture was not wicking.

I run on the hot side and tend to sweat a lot. I had a UA ss shirt and light fleece shell. Thinking maybe just a long sleeve UA shirt.

What winter layers/materials do you wear to wick the moisture and keep dry during physical exertion?

Got me thinking about carrying a pack and the need to wick moisture.

10-20-2011, 7:18 PM
Come all you SHTF, Survival Nuts, whats the cold weather 411 for keeping dry while cranking up the motor.

10-20-2011, 8:02 PM
When I hike or pack, I have tried almost everything but always go back to wool light or mid weight baselayers. Not sure about full on work out though. This link is informative.

10-21-2011, 9:07 AM
Thanks for the link, I cannot tolerate wool, could when I was younger but for some reason not now. New REI opening in Nov., I have some homework to do.

10-21-2011, 2:42 PM
The new stuff is a lot different than it used to be and there are even blends like wool and silk.

10-21-2011, 3:02 PM
and- REI has a credit card offer that will get you a $100 gift card after your first purchase. That's pretty good if you combine it with their % off coupons that pop up every once in a while.

10-21-2011, 3:06 PM
Go by the REI and look at the Mountain Hardwear stuff. I work outside 365 days a year and the worse the weather gets, the more I work. Best gear I have found for heavy exertion in foul weather.