PDA

View Full Version : "Bullet button" type mag release for ak's (Pic's)

jjperl
02-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Today I developed a "bullet button" type mag release for my AK. If you guys are interested, I'll develope more start selling them. Let me know what you think. :)

*note: you can use a bullet to detach the mag but it's not recommended. With a screw driver it only takes a few seconds to detach the mag.

Attached are picture's, and I appolgies for the poor quality.

KenpoProfessor
02-13-2007, 3:01 AM
Actually, you built what I and Zippy discussed in an earlier thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46926&highlight=mag+release

It looks good though.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Noonanda
02-13-2007, 4:52 AM
how does it mount on the ak??

jjperl
02-13-2007, 3:15 PM
It's attached by removing the mag release pin and replacing it with a bolt the same diameter as the pin and is secured with a lock nut.

The pictures don't do it justice, it looks a lot better in person, and it works really well.

savageevo
02-13-2007, 4:14 PM
anyway you could take a better picture it. it looks like you took the picture with a phone. I would be interested in it. what is the price?

aklover_91
02-13-2007, 4:23 PM
+1, I'd be interested in one

whatdyisit
02-13-2007, 4:36 PM
It kinda looks like you could move the release with a fingernail. I would love to see some better detailed pictures. It's nice to see one of these finally being made.

aklover_91
02-13-2007, 4:46 PM
It looks like it's recessed in the hole, and from my experience (with the release on my as of yet unassembled kit), if you tried to move the release with your fingernail you'd probably peel it back

jjperl
02-13-2007, 5:04 PM
There is absolutly no way you can detach the mag with a fingernail.

I'm gona try to post better pictures asap.

As far as the price goes, it'll probably be in the range of what the bullet button for the AR costs.

grammaton76
02-13-2007, 5:23 PM
Oh yeah... forgot to mention, PM sent.

Altahick
02-13-2007, 5:44 PM
that looks prety good, im sure u could sell a few here

zippy
02-13-2007, 8:27 PM
Here is the latest version of the ak mag release cover I have been working on.
http://baycitydesign.com/ebay/trigger.jpg
http://baycitydesign.com/ebay/triggera.jpg
This version can be installed with no modifcation to the rifle. It is held in place by two set screws and will fit on any AK trigger guard.

I will be machining a couple for use. It is doubtful that this part will be available to sell because it would be too expensive. Apparently 1000 pcs would have to be made to get the price under $20.

Good luck to jjperl, I suspect it will be difficult to sell an ak mag release cover at a profit.

aklover_91
02-13-2007, 9:48 PM
I'd definately buy one like that...

xrMike
02-14-2007, 7:44 AM
I will be machining a couple for use. It is doubtful that this part will be available to sell because it would be too expensive. Apparently 1000 pcs would have to be made to get the price under $20.

Good luck to jjperl, I suspect it will be difficult to sell an ak mag release cover at a profit.Zippy, I would pay $25, $30, or even $40 (if I had to) for a well-made, good-looking AK equivalent to Prince's "Bullet Button" for the AR.

Being able to keep a pistol grip AND drop yer mags is priceless.

Build it and we will come. :D

Addax
02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Zippy and JJperl,

My compliments on your designs.

Zippy, I like your design because it is simple to install with just 2 set screws, but might I suggest closing off the front end where the mag release lever still shows, just enough to cover the lower portion of the lever without interfering with the magazine.

You see, even with 2 set screws, it might not hold it place when shooting for a long time due to recoil.
From what I see in your picture, your ak mag release cover could shift back towards the rear and expose the mag release lever/button where it could be moved to release the mag. Again this could happen due to recoil over an extended period of time.. Also this could happen because the rear of you mag lever cover is not butting up against anything so it is possible for it to shift back, thus exposing the mag release lever.

Unless I am missing something in your CAD drawing ?

Or we will have to drill 2 holes where the set screws screw into the trigger guard, and I don't think that is a good idea.

JJrel's design actually covers the mag lever which is effective since you cannot manipulate the mag lever without disassembling the cover.

Again, my compliments to both of your designs and I for one will be needing at least 8 well maybe 10 by them time you mfg. them :)

Great Work Guys!

jjperl
02-19-2007, 7:25 PM
What do you think?

PM me if you want one. I'm asking $25 per peace.

Addax
02-19-2007, 11:58 PM
What do you think?

PM me if you want one. I'm asking $25 per peace.

PM sent.

Thanks,
Addax

PLINK
02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
How does it stay on?

Nevermind, I found the answer.

Sal
02-20-2007, 1:05 AM
they look nice, but i have a possible issue to point out

what stops the whole thing from rotating forward? if rotated the blocking tab on the back would push the mag catch, thusly releasing the mag without a tool.

now, i do realize that the magazine may stop you from pushing it far enough forward to detach it, but im not sure of the clearances of it.

jjperl
02-20-2007, 4:59 PM
they look nice, but i have a possible issue to point out

what stops the whole thing from rotating forward? if rotated the blocking tab on the back would push the mag catch, thusly releasing the mag without a tool.

now, i do realize that the magazine may stop you from pushing it far enough forward to detach it, but im not sure of the clearances of it.

The mag will stop it before it even touches the mag release latch.

g2jap
02-20-2007, 7:11 PM
So how easy is it to use?

ken858
02-20-2007, 8:57 PM
from the looks of it i think id buy one for sure

jjperl
02-20-2007, 9:29 PM
So how easy is it to use?

very easy... just stick a tool in the top hole and push on the mag latch and pop goes the mag. :)

Adog5
02-21-2007, 11:32 PM
I would buy a couple too! When do you think it will be ready? Can you let me know when you have some to sell?

jjperl
02-22-2007, 12:03 AM
They are already for sale. PM me if you want one.:)

wksun88
03-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi jjperl, I just PMed you with a purchase :)

jjperl
03-24-2007, 5:57 PM
Udated pictures and information are posted in the Private Firearm Parts & Accessories Sales forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50335

-Joe