PDA

View Full Version : Pickle canning question

problemchild
10-19-2011, 4:10 PM
So I canned up 5 qts of Bread N Butter cucumbers today. Everything was great until the 2 hour mark when on cue all the pickles floated to the top. It look like the pickles shrunk and absorbed some of the water as well. I now have 1"+ headspace (more like 1.5") and the pickles are all floating in the air at the top.

I thought I had them packed in tight enough. There really wasn't any room for more when I packed them.

What did I do wrong? Can I just flip the jars over for the next 3 weeks once per day to keep them wet?

ExAcHog
10-19-2011, 9:03 PM
wow...I have done pickles (always dill) about a dozen times and never had that happen..I am going to look in my canning books and try to find an answer.

scootergmc
10-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Did you use bottleneck jars? Because it's easily solved with bottleneck jars. The rule with big pickles is pack 'em TIGHTLY vertically, then continue to the top in a horizontal fashion. You might have to get a very narrow bottleneck since they're bread and butter. However, your pickles should be OK as long as it's sealed. The exposed pieces might be a little tougher, but they'll be ok if you flip 'em around and keep them wet.

Res
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
My MIL canned some pickles and they did the same thing. shriveled some and went to the top. They are still delicious and I can easily make myself sick eating jars at a time.

She uses regular type mason jars. I'll mention bottle necks to her.

Dutch3
02-04-2012, 4:03 PM
Sorry for the necro...but I canned about 10 pints of dill pickles this afternoon and they all did the same thing. The headspace seems OK, but they are all floating.

I followed the Mrs. Wages instructions and heard all of the lids clink as they cooled. I am assuming they are good to go, but have never canned anything before. Maybe I need to pack them tighter before processing.

problemchild
02-04-2012, 5:32 PM
Well now that you bumped this I can say on the second canning of pickles I packed them a lot tighter and cut some in half and packed the neck area. This double packing kept them from floating.