PDA

View Full Version : The Great Shake Out

mschliebs
10-19-2011, 3:14 PM
October 20 is the Great Shake Out day. I had an interesting conversation earlier today with a man, affiliated to the Cucamonga Central School District, regarding emergency planning at our schools. Two things that I did not know : Each school is required to have two weeks of provisions, on campus, for each child. Secondly, they are required to have, also on campus, body bags for 70% of the students. These are all stored at his school in a 40 foot long container on campus.

I have a business meeting with this man on Friday and I look forward to discussing more than just awnings and shade structures with him. He and his wife are members of an emergency strike force and both of them participate in emergency response to catastrophes around the country.

problemchild
10-19-2011, 4:06 PM
"strike force" ?

couch
10-19-2011, 4:06 PM
Is that just a CCSD requirement?

CSUF
10-19-2011, 7:00 PM
I go to Cal State Fullerton and we are having a drill as well

11HE9
10-19-2011, 7:14 PM
Each school is required to have two weeks of provisions, on campus, for each child. Secondly, they are required to have, also on campus, body bags for 70% of the students.

That's a bit disturbing :eek:

Ripon83
10-19-2011, 7:19 PM
Yeah I never heard that one. I ran a meals on wheels program with Federal Grant funds. We were required to keep 30 days of meals in stock for all participants as part of the grant....but no body bags ( or water ....dumb*****s)

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 7:51 AM
Interesting overall. . .

ExAcHog
10-20-2011, 8:16 AM
That must be a Cucamonga Central School District thing. My wife has been a teacher for 16+ years in three different school districts and when I told her about this, she says she has never heard of such a thing.

TallTale
10-20-2011, 9:26 AM
just got a text from my university about this lol

gugoo
10-20-2011, 9:38 AM
I have a glass desk at work which I don't think is ideal to duck and cover under.

Kid Stanislaus
10-20-2011, 9:55 AM
I had an interesting conversation earlier today with a man, affiliated to the Cucamonga Central School District, regarding emergency planning at our schools. Two things that I did not know : Each school is required to have two weeks of provisions, on campus, for each child. Secondly, they are required to have, also on campus, body bags for 70% of the students. These are all stored at his school in a 40 foot long container on campus.

Is Cucamonga located in close proximity to a major earthquake fault?

Kid Stanislaus
10-20-2011, 9:58 AM
I have a glass desk at work which I don't think is ideal to duck and cover under.

People who work at a glass desk should never throw..............Oh, nevermind!!:D

Chaparral
10-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Is Cucamonga located in close proximity to a major earthquake fault?

The Red Hill Fault runs about 500 yards past the end of Etiwanda at the big water tank. Is supposedly capable of a 7ish magnitude rupture. There is a displacement nearby which has resulted in a decent size maybe 30 to 50 foot scarp (never did climb up and measure it) and a sag pond? which has filled in and become a wetland behind it.

If that fault ruptures, there will be significant Mercalli scale damage for a few miles.

The San Andreas ain't that far away either, being just on the other side of the San Gabriels.

Dutch3
10-20-2011, 2:58 PM
It must be a Cucamonga requirement.

I have worked for a public school district for the past 12 years. Our district did participate in the "Shake Out" drill today, but there are no provisions stored, nor are there any body bags anywhere. My key will unlock any door in the district and I am sure I would have run across any such items by now if they existed.

EDIT> I suppose there is sufficient food for 30 days at the campuses with kitchens, but it is largely stored in walk-in freezers. It would be useless if the power failed for any length of time.

I know they did buy "emergency buckets" at one school a couple of years ago. 5-gallon buckets with "emergency supplies" in them. A cheap flashlight, couple of water packets, etc. One per classroom, the supplies should last about 5 minutes.

Got Stuff?
10-20-2011, 4:19 PM
October 20 is the Great Shake Out day. I had an interesting conversation earlier today with a man, affiliated to the Cucamonga Central School District, regarding emergency planning at our schools. Two things that I did not know : Each school is required to have two weeks of provisions, on campus, for each child. Secondly, they are required to have, also on campus, body bags for 70% of the students. These are all stored at his school in a 40 foot long container on campus.

I have a business meeting with this man on Friday and I look forward to discussing more than just awnings and shade structures with him. He and his wife are members of an emergency strike force and both of them participate in emergency response to catastrophes around the country.

Let me know how this turns out! I'm in the area as well and know that area schools are thinking/talking about this.