PDA

View Full Version : if anyone is interested winchester 1897

metalliman545
10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7350602#post7350602 first dibs in the morning if you want it. just shoot me a message and tell me where you saw the ad

Flyin Brian
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Wow, great idea cross-posting this in the C&R forum, since some of us might be interested in buying a C&R rifle. Did you also post it in the hunting forum, since this rifle could be used for hunting? Don't forget the ammo forum, since this rifle shoots ammo doesn't it? Have you ever shot it? Maybe you could post a range report in the "range stories" forum with a link to the sales forum...

/sarcasm

redking
10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Wow, great idea cross-posting this in the C&R forum, since some of us might be interested in buying a C&R rifle. Did you also post it in the hunting forum, since this rifle could be used for hunting? Don't forget the ammo forum, since this rifle shoots ammo doesn't it? Have you ever shot it? Maybe you could post a range report in the "range stories" forum with a link to the sales forum...

/sarcasm

Don't be such a douche :P

I enjoyed looking at it, might have been interested if it wasnt 1000 miles away :rolleyes:

Were you saying you shot smokeless powder shot shells through this thing?

metalliman545
10-19-2011, 1:07 PM
Yes smokeless shells through it. It was built around 1916 so smokeless shells had been invented and were sold by winchester in 1903 I believe. Its a model 1897 doesn't mean it built in 1897

Flyin Brian
10-19-2011, 1:50 PM
Don't be such a douche :P

I enjoyed looking at it, might have been interested if it wasnt 1000 miles away :rolleyes:

Were you saying you shot smokeless powder shot shells through this thing?

I really don't appreciate being called a douche but if that's what makes you happy, go for it. It's pretty funny what people say when they are in a forum. I wonder what you would say in person?

I agree that the rifle was interesting but I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of people spamming the forum with their for sale ads; that's why there is a "for sale" forum. I doubt if I am the only one who feels that way.

metalliman545
10-19-2011, 2:35 PM
Its not a rifle. Its a shotgun.

renardsubtil
10-19-2011, 3:05 PM
I just sold an antique one pre-1899 and I still own one of these classic beauties...to make yours a little more attractive for sale, you might want a nice close picture of the adjustment sleeve where the barrel mates up with the receiver. This can help show how much "life" is left on a part that can be relatively tricky to replace. Also, a shot of the barrel to show if there's pitting etc.

And I would prolly stay away from using most modern buckshot and stick with low recoil shot <1200 fps :D

gunboat
10-19-2011, 3:19 PM
I agree with you fbrian -- while it is not worth a pissin' contest, it shows a general lack of respect for the forum rules. Perhaps more of the "me first" generation?

redking
10-19-2011, 3:23 PM
I really don't appreciate being called a douche but if that's what makes you happy, go for it. It's pretty funny what people say when they are in a forum. I wonder what you would say in person?

I agree that the rifle was interesting but I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of people spamming the forum with their for sale ads; that's why there is a "for sale" forum. I doubt if I am the only one who feels that way.

I didn't say you WERE a douche, I was saying Don't be a douche, as in don't act like one :rolleyes:

I say this IRL to people all the time.

I meant no disrespect

Maybe we need a C&R For sale forum? Do we have one of those :confused:

Ergo the Qualmed
10-19-2011, 3:38 PM

+1billion

Nothing else to say.

Except I thought these shotguns were sometimes dangerous to fire? Or is that the Marlin 19? Or are they in any way related? :?

billybob_jcv
10-19-2011, 4:17 PM
If it's a shooter, it would make a good gun for SASS. They usually use short-barrel versions, but using any "real" 1897 would be pretty cool. I think the big thing with the 1897 shotguns is that they can be slam-fired. If you hold the trigger back, it will fire every time you pump.

786jVtVxShc

emcon5
10-19-2011, 4:36 PM
I know it isn't up to me, but considering the signal to noise ratio of the Private Sales forum, I welcome cross posting of any interesting C&Rs. Things get bumped so fast over there, stuff ends up 3 or 4 pages back pretty quickly.

If they are not interesting, I don't click the link.

metalliman545
10-19-2011, 4:57 PM
I checked out the barrel adjustment sleeve it was on the last notches all the way to the right. Much life left? The slam fire function is pretty cool, especially during a friendly trap/skeet round with the buds. Haha.

jigenax
10-19-2011, 8:59 PM
+1billion

Nothing else to say.

Except I thought these shotguns were sometimes dangerous to fire? Or is that the Marlin 19? Or are they in any way related? :?

Only if they've been abused to hell and back. My '97 is still going strong, even after 97 years of service.

bohoki
10-19-2011, 9:17 PM
i got one of them thingies too my serial dates it to 1911

its not my go to gun but it works fine with low base bird shot

TheExpertish
10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I know it isn't up to me, but considering the signal to noise ratio of the Private Sales forum, I welcome cross posting of any interesting C&Rs. Things get bumped so fast over there, stuff ends up 3 or 4 pages back pretty quickly.

If they are not interesting, I don't click the link.

I agree. The FS section leaves much to be desired overall, but more so with C&R's. I welcome offers. And I love my 1897.

metalliman545
10-20-2011, 2:17 PM
Sold, and pretty fast too.

CEDaytonaRydr
10-20-2011, 3:25 PM
I really don't appreciate being called a douche but...

What did you expect? You flamed the guy for posting what you yourself referred to as "interesting" weapon. You're not a moderator...that's not your job.

If you don't like what the OP posted, don't reply! Simple as that... ;)

Flyin Brian
10-20-2011, 4:00 PM
What did you expect? You flamed the guy for posting what you yourself referred to as "interesting" weapon. You're not a moderator...that's not your job.

If you don't like what the OP posted, don't reply! Simple as that... ;)

Yes, I think all C&Rs are interesting, I just don't want to have to wade through a bunch of FS ads in the discussion forum. It's unfair to all the other people who abide by the rules and post their stuff in the FS section and don't spam the rest of the forums.

Regardless of all that, you're right. I was out of line in the way I reacted.

emcon5
10-20-2011, 4:09 PM
Yes, I think all C&Rs are interesting, I just don't want to have to wade through a bunch of FS ads in the discussion forum.

But you don't. Even if every user selling a C&R cross posted here, you still wouldn't have to "wade through", from what I have seen, there are a couple per week at most.

However, a sticky thread in this forum "C&R FS Cross post thread" might not be a bad idea.....

TheExpertish
10-20-2011, 9:15 PM
Yes, I think all C&Rs are interesting, I just don't want to have to wade through a bunch of FS ads in the discussion forum. It's unfair to all the other people who abide by the rules and post their stuff in the FS section and don't spam the rest of the forums.

Regardless of all that, you're right. I was out of line in the way I reacted.

I totally get your point and agree as far as the letter of the law goes. However, I don't see it being a problem and personally appreciate the heads up. Wondering if someone from here ended up getting it.

But you don't. Even if every user selling a C&R cross posted here, you still wouldn't have to "wade through", from what I have seen, there are a couple per week at most.

However, a sticky thread in this forum "C&R FS Cross post thread" might not be a bad idea.....

I agree with this and think a Cross Post Thread is a great idea.

nanoc
10-20-2011, 9:30 PM

I also like this idea. How about a sub forum in C&R section were one would just give a link to the FS section. Would be so much easier to find C&R stuff.

bruceflinch
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Like the Forum rules require a Location in the thread Title, it would be nice if you could get the people selling C&R's to also state in the title. But I think I just typed my way into Fantasyland.

I agree w/ Flyingbrian on his feeling, but disagree w/ his delivery message. Mr Redking is a little new here to be implying someone is a doosh. & both of you fail at proper use of the Smilie Functions! :p