PDA

View Full Version : Sending a lower to a dealer...

trfcrugby
02-12-2007, 4:46 PM
My local dealer sells Stag lowers for $260 each stripped.

Obviously, they are a lot cheaper online.

Would it be rude to ask him to transfer some that I order online, even though he sells them locally? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I am new to this, and I'll be damned if I didn't finish my first build and want to start planning another one already. With the price of a stripped lower about $110, there is a huge price difference that can be spent on other things, I just want to make sure I'm not breaking some OLL unwritten rule or something like that.

bwiese
02-12-2007, 4:49 PM
No, but I'm guessing he'll...

(1) either say "No", or:

(2) mark up the price of whatever you're getting for him to make the profit he needs to keep his store open, which would roughly amount to the total price he charges for a lower anyway.

If you don't like his prices, there's other places.

trfcrugby
02-12-2007, 5:14 PM
How does the FFL transfer process work exactly?

The lowers I was looking at were on Gunbroker for $105. From what I read, there was a $40 transfer fee and $20 DROS.

Anything else?

radd
02-12-2007, 5:28 PM
Dealer can mark whatever price they want on the tag.

If they are professional enough, then they will take your transfer no questions asked. Ofcourse your job will be not to blab about how much better deal you gotten from other dealer at the store.

or If you feel bad about this situation, then ask your retailer not send the invoice with the lowers.

BTW: lanworldinc.com (http://www.lanworldinc.com/Lowers.htm) got Stag Lowers for 95.50
:D

grammaton76
02-12-2007, 5:31 PM
I'd look at another place. Either that, or just order a CMMG or something and ask him to transfer it, saying "Eh, I prefer the rollmark on this one".

Depends on what his transfer fee is, though. If you're in Socal, $260 sounds quite high. If you're around the bay... transfer fees are a lot higher up there. I've heard prices like $100/transfer up there!

thomye
02-12-2007, 5:42 PM

Would it be rude to ask him to transfer some that I order online, even though he sells them locally? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I am new to this, and I'll be damned if I didn't finish my first build and want to start planning another one already. With the price of a stripped lower about $110, there is a huge price difference that can be spent on other things, I just want to make sure I'm not breaking some OLL unwritten rule or something like that.

first nail him to a commited FFL fee price. mine does it for $45 (25 for dros and 20 for profit). every other there after is only $10 no dros of course. then, think about getting another lower he doesn't have in stock. like a cmmg or mega. my guy has cmmg and lars in stock. i have serveral cmmg so i'm thinking about getting some mega's shipped. i like them better. he can't help me so maybe he'll accomodate me. try that angle with your local store.

xrMike
02-12-2007, 5:51 PM
Doesn't hurt to ask him... I imagine a successful business owner would rather have some of your business than none of it.

ARRRR-15
02-12-2007, 10:44 PM
How does the FFL transfer process work exactly?

The lowers I was looking at were on Gunbroker for $105. From what I read, there was a $40 transfer fee and $20 DROS.

Anything else?

Tax and shipping woudl be the rest.

Oh yeah then you need to buy an upper, LPK, MMG, stock and/or U-15 stock.:D :p

Let him know you plan on doing alot more buisness there. Like purchasing above items, ammo, etc. If he's smart he'll match your cost if you were to order it online and do a transfer.

icoburn
02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I miss SJGE... never had an issue with transfers. :(

PLINK
02-13-2007, 1:16 AM
There is a dealer locally that charges that amount for stripped lowers. This dealer will accept out side transfer but he chargers $85 (his fee plus DROS) for the first lower and $10 for each additional.

So you will have to find which way is cheaper if the dealer charges similar transfer prices or you will have to look else where.

taquito971
02-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Personally I would not ask to transfer a firearm that he has in stock. I'd pick another dealer or pick another brand. Just my opinion though.

Brian

Hunter
02-13-2007, 11:20 AM
...Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I am new to this, ....

Where are you located? I'm sure someone here can point you to a transfer dealer in your area. One that will transfer the oll for you without having to give an arm and leg for it.

DIG
02-13-2007, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=trfcrugby]My local dealer sells Stag lowers for $260 each stripped.QUOTE]
:eek:
That's ridiculous. Go somewhere else.

trfcrugby
02-13-2007, 4:03 PM
I'm in Modesto.

Thanks for the replies so far.

cartman
02-13-2007, 6:32 PM
I live in the North Bay and am looking for a dealer that will do a transfer on an reciever. All the stores I called in Sonoma said they don't. Any one know any around the bay that do?

SkyMag68
02-13-2007, 10:57 PM
hey my Stag lower was $218 incl. shippin from CWS kinda high..$50 for fee + dros. plus a 30 minutes drive to SAc.

12:13
02-14-2007, 2:30 PM

You can find it cheaper online. $260 is a high price to pay for a stripped lower. See other suggestions.

I live in the North Bay and am looking for a dealer that will do a transfer on an reciever. All the stores I called in Sonoma said they don't. Any one know any around the bay that do?
Try Sonoma Firearms in Antelope but prices may be high for transfers:eek: