PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about these..

EL_NinO619
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I was thinking of buying some as SHTF small barter coin.. Small light weight etc. What do you think. I am not talking a major investment just something I could carry around easy..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110760844516?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2648

Picasso2
10-19-2011, 7:19 AM
At $30 an ounce, those are worth @ a buck apiece.
Better to find some pre-'64 silver coins...
Picasso

MudCamper
10-19-2011, 9:51 AM
Personally I would never buy precious metals on ebay. Way too much fraud going on there. You can buy pre-65 silver US coins from any reputable silver dealer. I bought some from these guys (http://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver_bags.php). But that was back when it was $14 an ounce. I can't bring myself to buy anything at today's prices.

Bobbar
10-19-2011, 9:59 AM
Know your conversions... how many grams in a troy oz...

Buy junk silver or american eagles....

Lost.monkey
10-19-2011, 1:29 PM
APMEX.com

I have bout over 300 oz from those guys, and sold some back during the divorce. Always a pleasure to deal with, and they price real-time.

I like the morgan rounds, silver eagles, and 10oz APMEX bars.

Ripon83
10-19-2011, 2:27 PM
I've bought from eBay before and had no trouble and have no doubts about what I bought.....then I was buying sets of coins and not just one. I prefer 10 to 20 coin sets because they are harder to manipulate and mess with (counterfit wise). IDK that I'd buy a single coin or a package of the same coin on eBay. I'm also bothered by constant shilling on eBay and what the company did to protect the shills since people complained (blocking bidder info).

EL_NinO619
10-19-2011, 3:16 PM
Good to know. I was just looking for a cheap start.

TurboChrisB
10-19-2011, 3:40 PM
Providentmetals.com as well.

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 8:02 AM
Def agree on knowing your measurements, troy ounce versus regular ounce ect ect.

DWGL
10-20-2011, 1:42 PM
If its aSHTF situation then bullets are going to be King.
Guns+Bullets=A well fed and protected family. Better get enough Gold/Silver to build a bunker out of it to save your *****.
Bullets. And Water are what won't be traded for money/Gold/Silver in a SHTF situation .
Just my two cents ..

RCJeeper
10-20-2011, 3:35 PM
Guns+Bullets=A well fed and protected family. Better get enough Gold/Silver to build a bunker out of it to save your *****.
Bullets. And Water are what won't be traded for money/Gold/Silver in a SHTF situation .
Just my two cents ..

. . .and you know this how?

Sanderhawk
10-20-2011, 5:13 PM
I just saw the size of a 1 gram silver bar. Damn thats small. Wouldn`t it be better just to buy a full oz. and cut or melt it down yourself? Seems like it would be cheaper.

bsg
10-20-2011, 5:21 PM
just buy some cheap cards... and they'll still be good barter.

STAGE 2
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Just my two cents ..

This right here. Cash, precious metals, gems, diamonds, etc only have value because we have assigned them value. They don't serve any other function. If stuff truly went bad, all of these items would be essentially worthless.

Sanderhawk
10-21-2011, 5:48 AM
I was just reading somewhere that china is producing fake silver coins and selling them on ebay. It was advised not to buy on ebay if its a 1 day sale, or being sold out of china or other asian countries. Becareful so you don`t get scammed.

MudCamper
10-21-2011, 8:02 AM
I was just reading somewhere that china is producing fake silver coins and selling them on ebay. It was advised not to buy on ebay if its a 1 day sale, or being sold out of china or other asian countries. Becareful so you don`t get scammed.

The problem is rampant (http://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+fake+silver+coins). I wouldn't trust any seller on ebay (for silver).

scarville
10-21-2011, 8:15 AM
I second the recommendations to get US silver coins from a reputable dealer. At some point, you will may to convert PM's to local currency and and easily recognizable coins will be easier to trade with than something people do not recognize.

Scout2Diesel
10-21-2011, 6:58 PM
I just saw the size of a 1 gram silver bar. Damn thats small. Wouldn`t it be better just to buy a full oz. and cut or melt it down yourself? Seems like it would be cheaper.

You want it to be easily evident that and by who it was assayed. If you cut it up it would start to lose that quality.

11HE9
10-21-2011, 8:57 PM
*Dumb question ahead warning*

Okay, I know a vintage silver coin (Morgan dollar for example) when I see/hold one.

I have seen quick/easy tests for gold, but I haven't dealt with silver much.

If someone handed me a bar of silver in trade for a needed item, how can I tell if it's the real deal?? :confused:

Stormfeather
10-22-2011, 12:52 AM
*Dumb question ahead warning*

Okay, I know a vintage silver coin (Morgan dollar for example) when I see/hold one.

I have seen quick/easy tests for gold, but I haven't dealt with silver much.

If someone handed me a bar of silver in trade for a needed item, how can I tell if it's the real deal?? :confused:

http://www.helium.com/items/176936-how-to-test-for-pure-silver

Heres two easy way with common household products.

Steve1968LS2
10-22-2011, 8:39 AM
. . .and you know this how?

Logic?

In a finacial disaster gold and silver might be good to trade with.. but if a real disaster (emp, asteroid, whatever) then beans, bullets and water will be the true tradable commodities. What good is gold to someone who is starving, or in danger, or thirsty?

If you have a pound of gold and are starving.. and someone offers you three cans of soups you'll take it.. not a good return on your investment.

I think that is what he was getting at.

11HE9
10-22-2011, 9:15 AM
http://www.helium.com/items/176936-how-to-test-for-pure-silver

Heres two easy way with common household products.

Great info!!

Thanks for the link!!

camsoup
10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Logic?

In a finacial disaster gold and silver might be good to trade with.. but if a real disaster (emp, asteroid, whatever) then beans, bullets and water will be the true tradable commodities. What good is gold to someone who is starving, or in danger, or thirsty?

If you have a pound of gold and are starving.. and someone offers you three cans of soups you'll take it.. not a good return on your investment.

I think that is what he was getting at.

But its a great deal for me if you have the gold and I have the beans....I don't think precious metals will be worth less, and even in a major SHTF event, there will be a recovery. Gold and silver will be a much better way to preserve wealth than a silly dollar bill. There have been lots of times in history where SHTF has occurred. Gold and silver historically have always been worth something.

EL_NinO619
10-22-2011, 11:56 PM
My Dads friend has a huge amount of coins etc. I bought some from him already and he wants me to sell them on ebay and i get free coins. I will be selling a boat load so check them out. I can promise you they are not china crap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130591301392?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Steve1968LS2
10-23-2011, 2:55 PM
But its a great deal for me if you have the gold and I have the beans....I don't think precious metals will be worth less, and even in a major SHTF event, there will be a recovery. Gold and silver will be a much better way to preserve wealth than a silly dollar bill. There have been lots of times in history where SHTF has occurred. Gold and silver historically have always been worth something.

I'm sure.. but if things are REALLY bad what has greater value a thousand dollars spent on gold today or a thousand on food stuff or preps?

Precious metals is a good finacial tool, hedge against inflation and investment deal.. but if the world ever goes to crap it's value will be limited.

DavidR310
10-24-2011, 2:53 AM
I was thinking of buying some as SHTF small barter coin.. Small light weight etc. What do you think. I am not talking a major investment just something I could carry around easy..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110760844516?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2648

Like others said, your better off shopping around local shops.

When SHsTF, a U.S. minted coin will be much easier to barter with. Find pre-65 dimes and quaters.

I really want to sell my 10oz bar asap.

rgs1975
10-24-2011, 8:37 AM
Guns, bullets, water, food, batteries and fuel. Those will likely be the big trade items if/when S truely HTF. I don't think precious metals will play a major role until some semblance of order is re-established. Regardless, if I were to pack PM's in a SHTF set up it would be pre-1965 90% silver U.S. Coinage. It's already recognized US money plus it has an intrinsic metal value. You can get dimes to Dollars giving you a wide range in denomination and silver value.

RCJeeper
10-25-2011, 5:53 AM
Guns, bullets, water, food, batteries and fuel. Those will likely be the big trade items if/when S truely HTF. I don't think precious metals will play a major role until some semblance of order is re-established. Regardless, if I were to pack PM's in a SHTF set up it would be pre-1965 90% silver U.S. Coinage. It's already recognized US money plus it has an intrinsic metal value. You can get dimes to Dollars giving you a wide range in denomination and silver value.

We all get the idea that in a SHTF scenario, you'll need the things you mentioned and more.

Money is a human invention. It allows a universal trade item. What happens when I have guns to trade to you (cause its all I have) and I need a battery. No deal. You may find a flaw in this particular trade but in these times, there will be tons of non-trades cause one party doesn't have the item the other party wants. A third item is needed and that's money. When paper money becomes worthless, there will still be a need for money. The only item everyone everywhere recognizes as valuable is gold.

Sure, I may have that solar charger you're looking for and you may have a pile of .308, but all I have is an AR. You'll have to look for another trade first to someone who needs .308 and is trading .223 for them. See the problem?

What are the alternatives to gold and silver? Beads? Big round rocks with holes in them?

Which brings my second point. Money must be portable and dense. You would like my horse, but you have nothing to trade but food and water and you live 5 miles away. That's gonna be a very large pile of food to trade and who knows if I even need food. Bring 2 ozs of gold that I can trade for just about anything, done deal.

Gold has been a store of wealth since the beginning of written history and probably longer but there is no history to verify. It's just silly to think that in the next age, we'll no longer have a need for money. Or we could all just sit around and sing kum-by-yah. No more money. A liberals utopia. Yeah right!