PDA

View Full Version : FFL lost my DL pic, am I obligated to go back?

Lancear15
10-18-2011, 5:27 PM
I purchased a long gun from a large FFL retail store. I got a call that they lost my their copy of my drivers license. Which I can't believe because all the paperwork was checked by the sales clerk and then two managers at the time of DROS and 3 more people 11 days later at pick up.

I don't have a lot of free time and it would be at least an hour of driving.

So what say you all, am I legally or even just morally obligated to go back to the store?

paul0660
10-18-2011, 5:34 PM
I am thinking swag.

prob
10-18-2011, 5:41 PM
I wouldn't go, it's their problem. How is it your moral obligation to remediate their poor clerical skills?

anothergunnut
10-18-2011, 5:43 PM
This might be a better question for the FFL section; I don't think there is any statutory requirement for a DL photo, just that you present it (or other ID) at purchase. You definitely do not have any moral obligation. Was it Bass Pro?

ke6guj
10-18-2011, 5:44 PM
I don't think there is any legal requirement that you provide them with a copy of your DL after you have already picked up your gun. However, the FFL needs to have that info for his paperwork and can really get in a bind with CADOJ and ATF if he doesn't have all the required documentstion during an audit. Do you really want to screw that FFL for a minor paperwork issue? If you do, don't ever plan on DROSing anything through them again.

I'd ask them if you could fax/email the copy to them. If I had to drive out there, I'd definitely be expecting some swag for my time.

pewpewguns
10-18-2011, 5:46 PM
Are you able to fax a copy to them?

Lancear15
10-18-2011, 5:50 PM
Are you able to fax a copy to them?

They didn't give that as an option. They just said over and over how important it is for me to go back to the store.

paul0660
10-18-2011, 5:57 PM
You already picked up the gun....................

geez. They should be telling YOU what free stuff you will get. You are no longer obligated.

Maltese Falcon
10-18-2011, 6:00 PM
Scan it and e-mail it. What can they do? If they want, they can drive over to your neck of the woods and make a copy there.

dctex99
10-18-2011, 6:02 PM
Sounds like AT LEAST a free box of ammo....I bet they find later but don't fess up to it!! I would wait for the 3rd call....maybe a good deal on a gun also???

windrunner50
10-18-2011, 6:04 PM
A truly professional business would allow you to fax or email a copy to them. If that is not acceptable, they should compensate you with some free ammo to cover your time/driving ect.. If they demand the copy with no compensation.....they would lose my business, and would not get the DL copy. IMHO:43:

stix213
10-18-2011, 6:04 PM
Yeah I agree with above. Scan a copy of it and e-mail it to them. If they say they don't do e-mail, just ask them if they freaking want it or not, but you're not going to drive two hours round trip because they lost a piece of paper after the fact.

thefinger
10-18-2011, 6:08 PM
You aren't legally obligated. It's their mess.

HOWEVER, I think you should simply tell them that you would be happy to help them if they would be willing to compensate you for your time--either in the form of free gear or $$. If they don't want to compensate you for your trouble, then forget it. It is their mistake, and their actions should reflect that.

I am sick of gun shops making paperwork mistakes and then demanding that the customer return to fix things. Most customers think that they will have legal problems if they don't comply with the shop's demand, so they comply. Gun shops should acknowledge their mistake when this type of thing happens, and compensate the customer with some token of gratitude. It should just be considered the price of doing business. Mistakes cost money.

BajaJames83
10-18-2011, 6:10 PM
I had a FFL lose some of my dros papers on 2 different handguns. Needless to say I never braught them anything and they don't get my business any more. They kept calling and demanding things. I eventually just told them off.

sammy
10-18-2011, 6:10 PM
Why don't you scan it or fax?

SkyStorm82
10-18-2011, 6:12 PM
Tell them to come to you. The employee is on the clock and can spend a couple of hours running an errand away from the shop.

Cokebottle
10-18-2011, 6:18 PM
I don't think there is any legal requirement that you provide them with a copy of your DL after you have already picked up your gun. However, the FFL needs to have that info for his paperwork and can really get in a bind with CADOJ and ATF if he doesn't have all the required documentstion during an audit. Do you really want to screw that FFL for a minor paperwork issue? If you do, don't ever plan on DROSing anything through them again.

I'd ask them if you could fax/email the copy to them. If I had to drive out there, I'd definitely be expecting some swag for my time.
I agree... but I would be speaking to corporate prior to doing so.

That photocopy contains sensitive information and I would want the store manager's boss to know what happened so it doesn't become a regular thing.
It was in the file for 11 days... how did it not get back into the file after pickup?

AlliedArmory
10-18-2011, 6:27 PM
Scan or fax it. Not too much of a chore.

Merc1138
10-18-2011, 6:45 PM
If they won't accept your scanning and emailing or faxing it, then next time they ask make a comment like "Well I'd love to drive all the way down there for no reason, but I sure could use some ammo..."

sholling
10-18-2011, 6:47 PM
We want our dealers to cooperate with us and be there when we want to buy new toys and that means supporting them. Just Xerox your DL and mail it to them - total cost 1 minute and 41 cents.

tenpercentfirearms
10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
You are under no legal obligation to comply.

Just fax or e-mail it to them and I bet they will take it.

Rogue187
10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd tell them that my time is valuable to me..either they compensate me for my time driving to their shop or they can forget it..
When the DROS was done..everything was there and they had it all..now after I pick up my firearm they realize that they lost it..somehow is not my problem..unless they compensate my time.
A box of ammo will work..

holyhandgrenade
10-19-2011, 1:09 AM
Tell them to come to you. The employee is on the clock and can spend a couple of hours running an errand away from the shop.

+1 for this, best suggestion in the thread. They pay to fix their mistake and doesnt inconvenience you terribly.

weekend_plinker
10-19-2011, 1:46 AM
Lets see 2 hours of driving at 55mph average, that's 110 miles at $3.85 a gallon
My truck gets 25 MPG. That's $16.94 in fuel
Time wise lets say $20 hr . 2 hr driving time , 1/2 hour in store to fix there mistake. That's $50

So total comes to $66.94 or equivalent in ammo for my time and fuel
Sounds fare to me

If I use my other truck at 8 MPG
The total would be $102.93 for fuel and time

Or as others have said let there employee come to you. In that case 1/2 hour of your time at $20 an hour = $10 bucks or equivalent in ammo

peter95
10-19-2011, 7:44 AM
Lets see 2 hours of driving at 55mph average, that's 110 miles at $3.85 a gallon
My truck gets 25 MPG. That's $16.94 in fuel
Time wise lets say $20 hr . 2 hr driving time , 1/2 hour in store to fix there mistake. That's $50

So total comes to $66.94 or equivalent in ammo for my time and fuel
Sounds fare to me

If I use my other truck at 8 MPG
The total would be $102.93 for fuel and time

Or as others have said let there employee come to you. In that case 1/2 hour of your time at $20 an hour = $10 bucks or equivalent in ammo

Do you need anything? Ask them to compensate you for some stuff, no cheap $15 ammo either.

Or

just tell them you'll email/fax/mail them a copy when u get the chance since u don't live very close to them.

Or

Have them drive to you.

It would be nice if I got paid $20 just to drive every hr in my car =)

thedrickel
10-19-2011, 9:56 AM
I have been told by DOJ agents that a DL copy is not even required if the DL is swiped into the DROS software. How they can tell whether or not the DL was swiped, I don't know, but they can.

gun toting monkeyboy
10-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I would offer to either scan/fax it to them, or tell them up front what it will cost them to get you out there. Weekend Plinker has it right. Come up with a reasonable invoice for your time and expenses, and sent them that along with the option of accepting a photocopy or email. If they want you to come out there, they need to compensate you. It was their error, and it is their FFL on the line. You are not required to do anything. Especially not for free. If they aren't going to compensate you, they can pound sand.

-Mb