View Full Version : Slings on a AR15 Carbine?

02-12-2007, 9:27 AM
What slings do you guys recommend?
Does it really matter?

02-12-2007, 9:55 AM
IMHO the Larue/Vikings Tactical Sling (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=86) is the best one out there right now. It's a little expensive but the most versatile, comfortable and easy to use.

02-12-2007, 10:25 AM
If I've ever learned anything from my years of hunting is that if you're out and carrying a rifle-- you NEED a good sling.

Yeah, nylon 1 inch work....they work crappy....but full days carring pounds about your neck/shoulders you'll be screaming for a decent sling.

I was skiddish at first but now I use the neopreme backed Butler creek slings. Nice wide swatch to distribute the weight. Has some 'spring' to it...barely even know its there.

On other NON 'full day' weapons I tend to flock to the Turners all leather military sling............

You WILL go through a couple slings until you find what you like, what works for you, or what you're willing to 'live with'.........

02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
It depends.

First of all, check your weapon configuration. Check what you have on your weapon. You may have standard sling swivels or maybe some kind of tactical sling loops/mounts.

Then decide what you are looking for. Myabe it's for long-time carrying like hunting. You'd need thick padding or a comfort leather sling. If you are chasing for tacti-coolness, there are a lot of options such as single-point, two-point.....etc. Just choose what you like.

I heard that Blackhawk makes good slings.:)

02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
It absolutely depends on what you are doing with it. I think that a sling for a rifle is like a holster for your handgun. Which one you need is preferance/end use specific and you need one.

02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
IMHO the Larue/Vikings Tactical Sling (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=86) is the best one out there right now. It's a little expensive but the most versatile, comfortable and easy to use.

What he said.....specially the expensive part...Excellent sling though..:cool:

02-12-2007, 11:22 AM
for a 2 point sling the LaRue/Vikings sling and BlueForce Gear Vickers sling are my top 2 choices. they can become expensive if you have to add on additional parts to make it work (side sling adapters, stock sling adapters, etc.).

for a single point sling, I have found the Wilderness sling to be my only choice. combine this with the TangoDown PR series sling mount and you are GTG.

02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I use a regular old cotton GI sling on all my A2 versions and a tactical sling from Boonie Packer Products (item # BP42) on my collapsable stocks....

02-12-2007, 1:04 PM
Do it yourself!

02-12-2007, 1:09 PM
Thanks for all your help guys!

02-12-2007, 1:21 PM
I just bought a nice 3-point M4 sling by Eagle for 20 bucks at the Ontario show.

02-12-2007, 9:21 PM
any sling you want will work, it just depends what you are going to use it for, but i believe that every rifle needs a sling. single, double, triple, or other. it helps to carry your rifle different ways. i use mine to aid in marksmanship too. help me get a stable platform. you can use a sling as an expedient point of contact, or with a deliberate loop sling. its not just to carry a rifle. leather, nylon, webbing. as long as it helps you shoot.

02-13-2007, 12:14 AM
but i believe that every rifle needs a sling..

That's pretty much how I feel; only ones I own that dont have a sling are either benchrest only shooters or the ones I just havent bought slings for *yet* or my on again/off again quest(s) to find period slings for some of the C&R's..........

02-13-2007, 6:46 AM
If you're undecided on whether you want a 1, 2 or 3 point sling, get the Blue Force Gear SOC-C. It can be setup to work in all three carry methods. I like the Larue/Viking which is a 2 point but which can have the functionality of all three carry methods without most of the shortcomings of the three different sling carry modes.

02-13-2007, 12:17 PM
but i believe that every rifle needs a sling. single

My F-50 has a 36" BBL. It's 62" long and thirty something pounds in weight. I transported it in a super long hard rifle case with wheels installed. Do I need a sling for this one?:)

02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I made my own 3-point, and 2-point sling. Thought I bought a single point sling with an HK clip and an elastic section...

I like the 3-point sling I made for extended carry, though the 1/2 point sling would better in CQB.

I bought 20' x 1.25" wide nylon webbing at McMasters along with some buckles and stuff. I think I spent $40 for the webbing, and 10 of each of the buckles/pieces. I can probably make 1 more slings from the left over webbing.

02-13-2007, 1:04 PM
So short of going to a class, are there any good article that describe slings and what they're used for? I have an Eagle tactical 2-point and it seems to work fine but I don't have a clue about to use it properly - I just use it so I don't have to hold my rifle during target changes at competitions. What are the trade-offs between 1, 2, and 3-point slings?

Should I just take a class?

02-13-2007, 1:08 PM
if you check out diytactical, i think they sell almost all the parts you would need to make a sling. i didnt check if they had 1.25 webbing. if not, i know that eagle industries sells all material, webbing and hardware that they use. a check on the ole net can get you some other places that sell.

+1 on the blue force gear sling, buddy of mine took one to iraq. he has actually carried different weapons out there. he loves it.

02-19-2007, 1:24 PM
Found this thread on AR slings and wanted to ask additional questions for our resident experts and current AR users.

I am planning on making a purchase from Brownells and wanted to batch a couple of slings in with the order.

I notice that they are selling the following models:

Spec-Ops Sling 101
Spec-Ops Mamba Sling
Specter Gear MOUT Tactical Sling

I'm looking for a 3 point sling, something that will allow me to transition to a secondary while retaining the longarm. I'm not a pro and don't need to carry it 24 hours a day, but something that is designed with such use in mind would be interesting.

If there are no reviews or thoughts on the above slings, then I'd be happy to entertain other suggestions. The Blue Force Gear Sling sounds good. I'm not particularly interested in making my own, especially if the cost will be $40.

Thanks all,