View Full Version : San Leandro Rifle and pistol range. Experiences?

10-18-2011, 7:29 AM
I'm gonna be passing through the area and I'd like to stop off for a bit of shooting. Is this a good place? Reasonable fees?

10-18-2011, 7:42 AM
The indoor is nice enough for handguns. The outdoor rifle range has a lot of restrictions because of the Oakland Airport glidepath (bench only, no magnetic ammo)). I think it's $14 either way. As you approach you'll go by the waste treatment plant which is stinky, and the dump's there too. But the way the wind works off the bay the range itself is spared most of it, and certainly in the indoor side you would never know.

10-18-2011, 8:33 AM
$14 sounds a little steep.

10-18-2011, 8:51 AM
It's the same as Chabot. I think that's pretty standard for flat rate around here (i.e. not per hour).

10-18-2011, 9:18 AM
actually their a dollar cheaper compared to chabot but they've got a indoor pistol range that goes out to 25 yards with electronic target retrievers ( okay so they are literally garage door openers attacked to a pulley system and the indoor range is a bit shot up )... but other than that the range has good service ( wasn't always like that) and some pretty nice regulars... and like eljay sad they've got some really strict rules for the outdoor range notably no FMJ what so ever, and no rimfire after a certain distance ... all in all not a bad place to shoot for pistols because you don't have to wait for a ceasefire every 10 minutes but for rifles I'd go chabot

p.s. also to the best of my knowledge they don't have shoot a new dros gun for free policy there

10-18-2011, 9:23 AM
Alternatively, on Tuesday nights the Livermore Rod and Gun club is open to rifle and pistol shooting, if you feel like driving a little more East (though traffic is a !#$@# after 430PM unfortunately).

10-18-2011, 9:29 AM
Capt_chau nailed it. Good place to shoot pistols indoor, rarely crowded, rifle range meh, fun steel shoot Saturday nights. I like to go there because its 5 min from my house and I'll use it for load development for pistols.
Also make sure you call ahead and check availability of the indoor range on weeknights as there is a youth rimfire league one night and several times a month CHP and other LEOs use it to qualify.

Its a good local range but I wouldn't make a special trip to visit unless you do the steel shoot which is really fun.

10-18-2011, 9:52 AM
As said - fun place. I don't like shooting indoors. Only 6 benches for the 100 yard. No FMJ on that and no rimfire. Plenty on the 50 yard but no high powered rifle on that one. Range officers are all nice. Just follow the cease fire rules. My local range so been going for years.

10-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Indoor pistol is only 15 yards AFAIK. Still a really good range especially considering I live about 5 min away from it.

Snapping Twig
10-18-2011, 11:40 AM
No magnums indoors.

I was there Sunday for a very pleasant shoot at the indoor range. Some event kept us off the magnum/rifle portion. Would have liked to toss a few magnums and I brought a Mini 30 and an 1894 44 that were eager to get a workout.

10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
the indoor is 50ft not 25 yds or 15yds... i shot jr smallbore there inthe late 70's

10-18-2011, 1:24 PM
Agreed that it's 50 feet, and I also want to second the idea of calling first - they have a lot of training there, especially with local law enforcement, and sometimes they'll take over the range.

They do have memberships, by the way, or did. Typical kind of thing - you pay some money up front and then it's half price for a year. When I was popping over there for short shooting sessions during my lunch break it was perfect.

10-18-2011, 1:31 PM
Got it. I appreciate the heads up about that place. Kinda strange to keep rimfire off the 100yd range.

10-18-2011, 1:48 PM
Got it. I appreciate the heads up about that place. Kinda strange to keep rimfire off the 100yd range.

This is a total guess... but rimfire at 100 yards, let's say it hits a rock. It's not going to splatter, it's going to bounce up over the berm pretty much intact. It's one of those counter intuitive things about ricochets but it's true - lower energy hits can actually be more dangerous. Why do they care about ricochets so much? Because the glide path of Oakland airport is so close it feels like you can jump up and catch a ride on the wheels, that's why.

I suspect they do some things out of an excess of caution... but at the same time, one single bullet hole in one airliner... obviously they'll shut the place down, no question.

10-20-2011, 5:30 PM
I shoot there quite often. I usually go after work on weekdays and it's usually pretty quiet.
Weekends can be pretty busy, so I stay out.

People seem to mind their safe gun handling here, which is a big plus.

10-20-2011, 9:01 PM
Saturday night steel shoot - do they require hollow point handgun ammo? Or is FMJ OK?

10-20-2011, 9:04 PM
Saturday night steel shoot - do they require hollow point handgun ammo? Or is FMJ OK?

FMJ is fine.

10-20-2011, 9:17 PM
The Saturday Steel Shoot was fun.

I miss a lot of things about the Bay Area, that's one of them.

Super-overpriced everything... not so much.