PDA

View Full Version : upper assembly question

maschronic
02-12-2007, 7:21 AM
hey guys,

i got a question for you about upper assembly. I have a dpms 24 SS bull barrel complete upper. my upper assembly does not have a forward assist and a dust/trap cover. i wanted to change the upper assembly so i can have those items.

do i have to purchase a dpms upper assembly or are all upper assemblys built to same spec?

!@#$
02-12-2007, 8:06 AM
any upper without m4 feed ramps will work.

i would get the lmt f/a bolt here. they used to sell cmt uppers for $99 but can't find them on their site. give them a call.
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=239216

or

denny restakes the cmt carrier so these are good to go as well. $230 shipped for upper and bcg and chargeing handle. probably the best deal anywhere. but i would still prefer the lmt bcg.
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=207002
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=207002

bu-bye
02-12-2007, 8:10 AM
Yeah, if you have the right tools for the job any (non-M4) upper will work.:)

Bladewurk
02-12-2007, 8:51 AM
Careful mas,

Those DPMS uppers are known to have glue(threadlocker) on the float tube and you will strip a wrench or tear up the HG unless you heat it up with a torch or heatgun first before you twist it off.

Regards!

P

meangreen
02-12-2007, 11:54 AM
if money is not an issue, VLTOR and La-Rue Tactical has top quality upper receivers... just more to choose from.

Jicko
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Neither of them were really needed....

The FA is basically a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem. Or i should say that it is not the right solution for the problem that it intended to solve!

If your round is not seated appropriately (unless you are in a live-or-dead situation, you will NOT be jamming your forward assist to push down the round down into your chamber....), you should probably exact your round and figure out why it is not seated correctly.

The "dust cover" maybe margainally useful, if you do patrolling in the woods or in the sandbox with your rifle.... but I doubt many of us are.... especially with your "Bull Assembly".... the open hole will just be like any bolt gun.... nothing less....

So, why do you want to jump thru so many hoops to get these 2 useless items?

Technical Ted
02-12-2007, 12:32 PM
The "dust cover" maybe margainally useful, if you do patrolling in the woods or in the sandbox with your rifle.... but I doubt many of us are.... especially with your "Bull Assembly".... the open hole will just be like any bolt gun.... nothing less....
LOL This statement brought to you from a person who wants to build up an exact replica of an SPR.

maschronic
02-12-2007, 3:10 PM
Neither of them were really needed....

The FA is basically a solution to a problem that isn't really a problem. Or i should say that it is not the right solution for the problem that it intended to solve!

If your round is not seated appropriately (unless you are in a live-or-dead situation, you will NOT be jamming your forward assist to push down the round down into your chamber....), you should probably exact your round and figure out why it is not seated correctly.

So, why do you want to jump thru so many hoops to get these 2 useless items?

i really want the dust cover. i hunt coyotes in arizona and i noticed that dust gets on the BC. that is the reason why i want a cover for it. as far as the FA goes, i think it comes with it. i have to agree with you on the FA.