PDA

View Full Version : Generations: Gun Survivorship

Ripon83
10-17-2011, 9:12 PM
My great nephew, first, was born today. Man I'm getting old. My nephew, his dad, trekked with me to our BOL last June for a weekend and we buried an SKS and some ammo there. So today my nephew asked if I'd leave coordinates to that to his son in case before his time such a weapon becomes unavailable.....and needed. I agreed to that.

I wonder how many are making an effort to keep weapons available to future generations and how long they'll last stored properly?

ExAcHog
10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Several years ago, I started collecting (firearms & ammo) beyond what I felt that I and my immediate family needed. The main reason, besides being worth their weight in GOLD after SHTF, is to supply my extended family/friends when the time came. Example: For small game, I figure the first three thousand rounds of .22lr I have is for me and mine. The other two thousand rounds and several ruger 10/22 & marlin mod 70's are for the extended fam.

I figure that stored properly, these have pretty much an indefinate life span.

11HE9
10-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I wonder how many are making an effort to keep weapons available to future generations and how long they'll last stored properly?

I'm sure through history many have wished they had or had hidden some type of weapon. I will never be unarmed.

With proper preperation, a weapon could last as long as the container it was stored in remained intact.

jyo
10-18-2011, 2:31 AM
Firearms, musical instruments, vintage cars/motorcycles---anything of real value will continue to have value long after we are gone---we are just the current owners---someone else will have them in the future.

DavidR310
10-18-2011, 4:17 AM
Ripon, you are awesome. I like your thinking.

If I may ask, did you use some sort of airtight canister to put that stuff in?

Ripon83
10-18-2011, 7:19 AM
We did, but my brother and I are looking at creating something that should last a lot longer, but will of course cost us a great deal more.

The thing is we can't see "govt" ending our rights over night. The idea of thugs coming to our homes to collect our guns and making us criminals for owning them isn't in this life time, and probably not even the next generation. But it is feasible that one day the politics of gun ownership could change, and over time people could lose out on that right. My brother and I just want to set those future generations up so they don't have the claim "ownership" of anything if asked, but can access something if they needed too.

And hopefully just reading this topic then hundreds of years from now will drive someone nuts wondering where, who has access, and all that :)

TrailerparkTrash
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Ive always thought that a fantastic long gun storage technique would be to cover the gun in grease, place it into a thick piece of PVC pipe (schedule 40 type), then seal off both ends with caps. Use that PVC purPle cement that permanently bonds PVC pipe together.

Now you have a water tight long cun capsule that can be burried in dirt. The gun will be preserved for 100 years or more. Just let yer kids know where you burried it!

elSquid
10-18-2011, 1:16 PM
Ive always thought that a fantastic long gun storage technique would be to cover the gun in grease, place it into a thick piece of PVC pipe (schedule 40 type), then seal off both ends with caps. Use that PVC purPle cement that permanently bonds PVC pipe together.

Now you have a water tight long cun capsule that can be burried in dirt. The gun will be preserved for 100 years or more. Just let yer kids know where you burried it!

This might be an interesting read...

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

-- Michael

redking
10-18-2011, 1:44 PM
I've thought of this... But I would want to do it with something extremely unconstitutionally illegal like an unregistered handgun, or full auto machine gun or something.

But I always think if the SHTF turns out to be a civil war full auto weapons shouldn't be too hard to take from the fallen enemy, even if it is a foreign invasion they would be carrying full auto weapons, so if you could initially survive the first wave with a few semis then take the autos and ammo from the dead soldiers, foreign or domestic.

Maybe a Saiga chambered for 7.62x54 and a crate of milsurp since it is already completely sealed against the elements.

CAL.BAR
10-18-2011, 1:53 PM
OK - perhaps a bit nuts (no?) Burying weapons for "future use". Please.

If your children/grandchildren want to be felons (in the case of buried AW's or other outlawed weapons -great idea). Why do that do them? If they want to play with certain toys - move to states that allow them.

Now assuming (as you apparently are) that all society will be smashed and they need to defend themselves against the zombie hoards (yeah right) they may be of (some) help, but people move rather frequently and most areas are built up quickly. Chances are that if 20 years were to pass your kids/grand kids will have moved hundreds or thousands of miles from your "cache". Or even more likely there is a strip mall or other development over your cache. Even parks and nat'l forests are constantly changing and being developed for public use.

And the only other reason you could be considering doing this fool thing is to provide "arms" for insurrection or "defense" against the imaginary tyrannical government. Here's another news flash. Individual semi-automatic weapons are useless for large scale warfare. Look at any insurrection/uprising in modern history (Libya for example) No revolt or revolution will last without foreign government support. The rebels wouldn't have lasted a month without NATO bombing and air support, and the only real weapons they had were looted from military storehouses., (not buried in the ground). So you've hidden a few semi-automatic AK's? You plan to have your children hold off the power of the US Gov. with those? Really? Have you SEEN modern warfare and the power of real armies lately? The only thing they could hold off is the LA SWAT team (at least until they find their MP-5's) (lol)

Ripon83
10-18-2011, 2:12 PM
We all have choices, but one of those choices is made for us - we die. Now you can choose to leave the AR's to the state, or you can do something else with them - I choose something else.

OK - perhaps a bit nuts (no?) Burying weapons for "future use". Please.

If your children/grandchildren want to be felons (in the case of buried AW's or other outlawed weapons -great idea). Why do that do them? If they want to play with certain toys - move to states that allow them.

Now assuming (as you apparently are) that all society will be smashed and they need to defend themselves against the zombie hoards (yeah right) they may be of (some) help, but people move rather frequently and most areas are built up quickly. Chances are that if 20 years were to pass your kids/grand kids will have moved hundreds or thousands of miles from your "cache". Or even more likely there is a strip mall or other development over your cache. Even parks and nat'l forests are constantly changing and being developed for public use.

And the only other reason you could be considering doing this fool thing is to provide "arms" for insurrection or "defense" against the imaginary tyrannical government. Here's another news flash. Individual semi-automatic weapons are useless for large scale warfare. Look at any insurrection/uprising in modern history (Libya for example) No revolt or revolution will last without foreign government support. The rebels wouldn't have lasted a month without NATO bombing and air support, and the only real weapons they had were looted from military storehouses., (not buried in the ground). So you've hidden a few semi-automatic AK's? You plan to have your children hold off the power of the US Gov. with those? Really? Have you SEEN modern warfare and the power of real armies lately? The only thing they could hold off is the LA SWAT team (at least until they find their MP-5's) (lol)

hawkeye
10-18-2011, 3:00 PM
A lot of people wont necessarily want to bury a weapon as they may feel they are losing an investment. Plus, what happens when some "explorer" comes looking around with a metal detector hoping to find old coins or such?

How deep is deep enough?

Ripon83
10-18-2011, 3:08 PM
I thought most metal detectors were only good to about 18 inches or two feet but I could be wrong.....where I dig they'll be until the end of time....I'm not talking a back yard. It makes me smile knowing the nephews and nieces might pass coordinates and maps down through the generations.....the government may be able to ban guns some day but they'll never ban the passage of a map and coordinates :)

Chaparral
10-18-2011, 5:06 PM
years ago when the USSR collapsed there was a joke making the rounds:

Q "why do Estonians oil their gardens?"

A "so their guns won't rust".

nothing new under the sun here...and as for passing felonies on to the grandkids, if possession of a firearm by the general citizenry is a felony by then, our government will long ago have passed into the realm of illegitimacy.