PDA

View Full Version : Los Altos rod & gun range

wisefire
10-17-2011, 9:01 PM
Update: So, I went on thursday, planned on getting there around 10am, but **** happened and got there at 2pm. When people say it the middle of no where, I know what they mean. The whole 3 MPH everyone told me about was correct, they kept on repeating it over the loud speaker, had to ride my brakes all the way to the rifle lanes. When I got there, it was pretty empty, maybe 4 people at the 50 yd and 12-15 at the 100 yd. There was a couple shooting next to us, what seem to be a saiga 5.45 rifle and his shell where flying over to our bench. The guy noticed and put up the fence thing. Shot the AR to get it sighted in, then the marlin 795, at the 50yd but didn't get a chance to shoot at the 100 yd. Went to shoot my glock and my friend sig, before we knew it, it was closing time. Now I know why so many people prefer shooting at outdoor range, it so much more fun. I had a really good time, so much that I forgot to take much picture.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/wisefire/2011-10-20144130.jpg
I'll be going to Los Altos rod & gun range for the first time tomorrow, also my first time going to an outdoor range. I'll be bringing my ar-15 to sight in, glock, and my marlin. Beside guns, ammo, lube, and cleaning supplies, and what else do I need. I've heard they have a tin range where u shoot cans and bottles.
Any recommendations or suggestion would be appreciated.

bloodhawke83
10-17-2011, 9:03 PM
action blast, I spray my barrels down before leaving the range. It makes cleaning it later easier.

sundayduffer
10-17-2011, 9:07 PM
wisefire...cool...i have wanted to go there for the first time also...update after pls. thx.

wash
10-17-2011, 9:09 PM
Eye protection, ear protection and get ready to crawl your car in to the parking area. Evidently at idle in first gear with my speedometer not even coming off the zero mark is too fast.

Otherwise it's a nice range.

If you have a shotgun, buy some BIODEGRADEABLE clays and try their manual traps, it's really fun.

den888
10-17-2011, 9:11 PM
Have a great time. I always bring a small first-aid kit in my range bag. I have (more than once) cut myself against the sharp edges of pistols, and gotten "hammer bite" from my 1911's. A bandage and antiseptic allows you to treat it on the spot.

Water and sunblock will help too, it looks like it will be warm in the South Bay tomorrow.

NYY
10-17-2011, 9:24 PM
uhm..isnt it open to public thursday through sunday....??

wisefire
10-17-2011, 9:39 PM
uhm..isnt it open to public thursday through sunday....??
Yes just checked their website, so it either Chabot gun range tomorrow or wait till Thursday. Is it worth the wait.

jchen76@gmail.com
10-17-2011, 9:42 PM
Boots if you're filling up the bottles with water. The tin can range can get pretty muddy after few exploding 1 gallon jugs.

wilit
10-17-2011, 9:45 PM
If you've never shot tin cans before, Los Altos is pretty fun. Once you sign in, be sure you don't drive faster than 3mph. No joke, they'll yell at you to slow down.

sonnyt650
10-17-2011, 10:05 PM
The facilities are kind of limited because it's such a large range compared to other places in the area. You will be driving some distance away from the one place you can buy any supplies. For sighting in your AR bring targets and either push pins or a staple gun to put them up. To save on the number of targets you shoot up bring a roll of masking tape and tape up the old holes. There were two stations for sighting in rifles at 25 yards or so, don't monopolize them though I don't think it will be particularly crowded.

For the can area a couple of decades ago you could shoot at aluminum cans or plastic such as AOL CDs; no glass and nothing with steel in it -- don't know if that's changed. You'll be shooting from standing and I don't believe you can put targets closer than the raised section, so be sure to bring something you think you can hit.

trashman
10-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Eye protection, ear protection and get ready to crawl your car in to the parking area. Evidently at idle in first gear with my speedometer not even coming off the zero mark is too fast.

Heh yep! My first time there I think I "gunned" it close to 5mph and a guy in a golf cart pulled me over.

All kidding aside it's a great range, especially during the week.

--Neill

Sugacookie
10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Bring a stapler unless you wanna rent one. (Super Lame should be included...) But nice place the speed limit to the shooting area is pretty lame as well.

ohlone
10-17-2011, 10:37 PM
you will need a stapler, staple gun is recommended. you can bring your own targets, paper or tin cans. ear plug, spotting scope is useful, and then follow whatever their rule is... but i think they don't open tomorrow. if you tell the lady in the office that you are there 1st time, they will come out and explain everything very detail....

oh, one more thing, remember the 3mph speed limit, LOL

its a fun place to go, i always to there for tin cans and manual trap.....

donking
10-18-2011, 7:38 AM
Snacks, lunch, drinks.

Gouranga
10-18-2011, 8:10 AM
I love that place. Take empty water bottles/empty tin cans..there is a spot that you can fill them up with water and shoot them at 40 yards (I think 40 yards). lots of people like to buy those 28 packs of bottled water for quick targets.

Manual traps are super fun...and yes, its 3 MPH and they are strict about it.

Time flies when you're there.

zfields
10-18-2011, 8:43 AM
If you've never shot tin cans before, Los Altos is pretty fun. Once you sign in, be sure you don't drive faster than 3mph. No joke, they'll yell at you to slow down.

Seems to be a common occurrence at every range.

starsnuffer
10-18-2011, 8:45 AM
It's a great place. My daughter loves it there, we always have a blast on the manual traps. You can get biodegradable clays about $5 cheaper at big 5 then what they charge at the range, but they do sell them both at the main range and at the manual trap station if you need them.

Other then the view and the climate, it's not "that much better" then Chabot except for the traps, but Chabot has 200 yards open on Friday morning.

There are more then 2 25yard stations. Usually the 25 yard stations are full of guys with tacticool AR's with 60x scopes though, but everyone there is very nice (even if they're obviously legally blind).

-W

RaiderNation
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM

If you have a shotgun, buy some BIODEGRADEABLE clays and try their manual traps, it's really fun.

+1 get ready to warp your roters. Other than that it is my favorite place to shoot.

mls343
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
It also has a 100 yard tin can range.

Very fun place as well as a nice drive up there too. I kind of make a day of it by hiking Caslte Rock, hit the range, and do some wine tasting on the way home.

ns3v3n
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice, always wanted to check out this place, didnt know they have a 100 yard tin can though, I read about them having the 40 yard one.

starsnuffer
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Yep, they also have an area on the 100 yard range that you can use to shoot prone, kneeling, whatever, which is nice. Forgot to mention that.

My 13 YO daughter likes picking up 223 brass and setting it up on the 100 yard tin can range to shoot at with her .22mag, she made me a necklace from the pierced shells for fathers day.

-W

wash
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
What kind of .22 magnum can shoot like that?

I'm curious.

starsnuffer
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
What kind of .22 magnum can shoot like that?

I'm curious.

It's a Rem 575 with a burris scope and harris bipod (she likes to call it her "sniper rifle") I'm not saying she can do it at will, she misses, and hits more shells off center then she hits through the middle, but she's persistent, and there are plenty of empty 223 shells to shoot at.

-W

Remus
10-18-2011, 1:06 PM
If you get that last bench seat on the 100 yard range next to the table you can shoot paper targets and tin cans. They are pretty strict about not shooting across targets, hence why this is the only station where it is viable. I've always considered the clay pigeons that they sell to be a fair price if you forget to buy some on the way up.

A lot of rules at that range that you do not encounter at other places. Do NOT try and move any guns (cased or not) during the ceasefire period. Rapid fire only on the 40 yard tin can range and only for 22's. No more than 2 rounds in any shotgun on the manual traps; and by all means do not drive a manual transmission there unless you really really want to put a new clutch in.

HonkingAntelope
10-18-2011, 2:02 PM
Seems to be a common occurrence at every range.

None of the ranges like speeding, but 3mph is the rule there and many people new to the place don't realize just how slow 3mph is in a car and get yelled at. It doesn't help that there is a fairly steep downhill ramp as you approach the parking area.

On the other hand, they are a lot less uptight about things like rapid fire unless you do something stupid like dumping your 10rd mag in 5-10 seconds (boy, did I catch an earful when I did that once!)

HonkingAntelope
10-18-2011, 2:04 PM
Do NOT try and move any guns (cased or not) during the ceasefire period.

What other range in Bay Area allows that during public sessions? On every other range I shot at, ceasefire = no gun handling for any reason.

wash
10-18-2011, 2:35 PM
I think their rule is: if they are moving yell at them.

I was serious about getting hassled moving slower than my speedometer would register, the needle had not moved at all.

I'm thinking about buying them one of those cheapo radar guns for timing your kid's fastball because last time they asked me "do you know how fast 3 mph is?". I don't think they know either.

starsnuffer
10-18-2011, 2:57 PM
I've heard people yelled out for driving fast, but never heard anyone asked to leave. I played sports in college and I'm married, so I'm ok getting yelled at occasionally ;P

-W

650IS350
10-18-2011, 2:58 PM
LMAO. I'm planning to hit up that range too. Been going to chabot this whole time and wouldn't mind another to go to. And don't like the idea of having to buy someone else's bullets to shoot at their range. ( good if your just trying to zero your gun ) but not for a days worth of shooting.

HonkingAntelope
10-18-2011, 3:08 PM
LMAO. I'm planning to hit up that range too. Been going to chabot this whole time and wouldn't mind another to go to. And don't like the idea of having to buy someone else's bullets to shoot at their range. ( good if your just trying to zero your gun ) but not for a days worth of shooting.

Surely you mean Jackson Arms in SSF, not Chabot. Right?

Remus
10-18-2011, 3:51 PM
What other range in Bay Area allows that during public sessions? On every other range I shot at, ceasefire = no gun handling for any reason.

Optimist Club in San Leandro, there may be a written policy against it, but I for one never recall it being enforced. I'm talking mainly of the firearm handling of cased rifles to and from vehicles.

gcm
10-19-2011, 9:22 AM
A lot of rules at that range that you do not encounter at other places. Do NOT try and move any guns (cased or not) during the ceasefire period.

I got busted for that my first time there. I got 'warned' over the loudspeaker when I took my cased rifle out of my car and started walking towards the waiting area behind the yellow line during a cease fire.

No handling of guns there during cease fires also includes moving them to/from your car. That's different than the other ranges I've been to, Metcalf and Richmond. Being able to park your car right behind your shooting station is really convenient though so I have no problem with that rule.

17+1
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Some friendly shooters at Los Altos let you borrow thier spotting scope if you have a cool Finn Mosin and aren't acting like a toolbox. ;)

Wisefire,

What time are you going to be there? I might be there around opening time. I can answer most AR related questions if you have any. Look for the service rifle wearing a newly finished M14 stock...:cool:

wash
10-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I must have run in to a different group because they let me borrow a spotting scope any way...

17+1
10-19-2011, 3:14 PM
I must have run in to a different group because they let me borrow a spotting scope any way...

:rofl2:

I cut the eye piece down so now you can use it while wearing safety glasses.

wisefire
10-22-2011, 10:44 PM
updated with some pic

MrPlink
10-22-2011, 11:08 PM
just went there for the first time today with some friends.

Fair distance from SF, but COMPLETELY worth it.

All the staff was beyond friendly, probably the friendliest I have ever encountered at a range.

Lots of range options, just a blast all the way around.
I honestly dont remember the last time I had this much fun at a range that didnt involve me shooting a new gun for the first time.
I will definitely be back

wisefire
10-23-2011, 12:05 AM
just went there for the first time today with some friends.

Fair distance from SF, but COMPLETELY worth it.

All the staff was beyond friendly, probably the friendliest I have ever encountered at a range.

Lots of range options, just a blast all the way around.
I honestly dont remember the last time I had this much fun at a range that didnt involve me shooting a new gun for the first time.
I will definitely be back

Couldn't agree more. What time did you go and was it busy?

ChaneRZ
10-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I've been planning to go! Do you know how many 50 yards lanes they have? I'm guessing you need to switch a lane if you want to try a 100 yard right?

NYY
10-23-2011, 1:04 AM
I've been planning to go! Do you know how many 50 yards lanes they have? I'm guessing you need to switch a lane if you want to try a 100 yard right?

your answer to how many 50 yard lanes, is the one picture he just posted in the first post haha. and yes you must switch lanes (facing the targets, you would move to the left)

NYY
10-23-2011, 1:06 AM
http://losaltosrodandgunclub.com/guns_allowed.html

MrPlink
10-23-2011, 1:50 AM
Couldn't agree more. What time did you go and was it busy?

we got there right arround 1:45. There were def a good amount of people, but plenty of lanes and stations open.

I was kinda shocked, I figured being such a nice day (and saturday) it would be packed, but no issues. By 3 it thinned out a lot.

SRD5711
10-23-2011, 2:03 AM
I really don't know why so many people complain about the speed limit.

You have to keep in mind people walk from their cars to the firing stations and sometimes they can pop out out of nowhere.

I was there thursday and someone was driving about 5 mph and almost hit a guy unloading his rifles from his truck.

NYY
10-23-2011, 2:42 AM
yeah its true. people are shooting damn rifles for petes sake. they dont want a lot of commotion going on with people driving fast. you must be very safe when handling/shooting firearms. no body wants a car to go crashing into 4 people who are SHOOtITNG A GUN ahhaha. its allll about minimizing risk!!

nvision
10-23-2011, 4:29 AM
i agree with the 3mph limit as well. last time there i've noticed a few ginormous V8 suvs/trucks which have had their share of difficulty looking out for wandering ppl at such close proximity with each of the drivers sitting up so high. don't knock them for keeping us safe.

Sunday
10-23-2011, 3:56 PM
It is a wonderful range the speed limit is just about right . The rules and rangemasters make it a safe range.