View Full Version : Flashlight GIFT for 100-150 bucks? HELP!

10-17-2011, 6:33 PM
You OBVIOUSLY cant go wrong giving a guy a flashlight as a gift.....So....

If I spend 100-150 bucks on a flashlight will I get something that is VERY OBVIOUSLY superior to the 30-40 dollar flashlight this person already has? Or will it just blend in/be another flashlight?

I don't want to spend 100-150 bucks for a flashlight that will just be thrown in the drawer with their other flashlights that cost 10-30 bucks.

Costco has a deal for 20 bucks right now for 3 flashlights that are pretty cool/bright/etc. Should I just do that and save the money or will spending 100 bucks get me something that anybody (not just flashlight fans) know is a superior/brighter product? (I dont mind spending money, just dont like wasting money)

10-17-2011, 7:22 PM
IMHO The question you need to ask yourself is would the recipient of the gift know the difference in the flashlights? If not, get something functional and save your money. BTW those flashlights from Costco are nice, I bought 2 three packs.

10-17-2011, 7:27 PM
How about a Fleshlight ? win/win

10-17-2011, 7:34 PM
excellent choice....need my address?

10-17-2011, 8:38 PM
Had tons of various flashlights including the Costco ones. Very few of them are my go to lights though.

I got Mag lights all over, those Costco ones, some cheap Target plastic ones.

I do love my Stinger though and my Coast Headlamp. I use those two the most. Got the Stinger after my mechanic buddy showed me his. I actually just went and grabbed his from under the truck since he left it there this past weekend. It's beat to hell and still ticking.

I love my Stinger and I actually flipped out a little when I couldn't find it. Wife folded up the tent with it still in the pocket. Doh.

Good thing it wasn't all the way in the bag. Nothing against women folding tents but my wife struggles. LOL

Charger is great. Spare battery or batteries are a plus. Decent size but not too big. 12 volt cable for charger has served me well.

I think the real question for me would be buying something like that for someone else

Will they need something like that?
Will they appreciate it?

10-17-2011, 8:39 PM
I have one of these. It's quite small (the size of your thumb) and also very bright.

10-18-2011, 8:32 AM
Check out 4seven and fenix lights.

10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
+1 on Fenix, its an excellent light, one of my go-to brands.

Fenix is known for having an extremely efficient regulation circuit. They have fantastic run times, I use them as my survival lights.

I also like Jetbeam (little more expensive)

Many other good flashlight brands out there too.

10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
swm v10 inf-v

10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Ive gone through several of the expensive little ones over the years. I still prefer the all metal "Streamlight SX-20" (or is it "SL-20, i cant remember cause i dont have them with me at the moment. They are great because you can also use them as a Hawaiian Battle Club!!!

10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Fenix. Got two for Christmas and beat for a under 150'budget. Fantastic lights. That or nitecore.

10-19-2011, 6:59 AM
Okay check these two out. This first one may not be completely useful, but would be fun as heck.

And this one can have a more tactical/practical use.

Zion Lion
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
swm v10 inf-v

They make some good lights.

To the OP check out www.lighthound.com you can build a light that will produce more lumens than a SF or SL. You also should check out the Zebralights. Great little lights. If you need to do some reading on flashlights check out www.candlepowerforums.com. This advice is coming from a Flash-a-holic. :) good luck.