PDA

View Full Version : Iron Sights "Fun Steel Shoot"/ Action Pistol in San Diego

helpme
10-17-2011, 4:41 PM
Has anyone been to the "Fun Steel Shoot" that Iron Sights in Oceanside hosts every other Thursday? I was thinking about going to check it out with some friends and couldn't really find much information online. I spoke with someone over the phone too but they really didn't know too much about it other than it costs $14 and there are 4 stages.

If anyone has been I was just wondering:

1) What's the general layout?
2) How many rounds typically used total in the 4 stages?
3) Is it worth it to attend?

missiondude
10-17-2011, 7:14 PM
I used to shoot this regularly, but the traffic got to be too much (I live near downtown SD).

It's set up with six steel targets at about 10 yds. The targets are changed around after each stage - usually only three stages due to time constraints. Each shooter goes forward and shoots three strings. The highest score of the three strings is dropped, keeping the lowest two times. Misses are penalized 5 seconds. No make up shots are allowed.

You'll need 54 rounds for the match, but you may want to bring more if they do manage to get another stage in. It's low key and a good way to get familiar with range commands, drawing from holster, etc. For new guys, you don't have to draw from a holster - you can shoot from low ready position.

They also allow you to use a shotgun or pistol-caliber carbine (22 lr is discouraged as you can't tell if you've hit the target).

Is it worth it? Try it out and see if you like it. If you don't, you're only down $14 and an evening. The Oceanside Practical Pistol club is really friendly, and run good events. If you're new to shooting, just let the guys running the match know and they'll walk you through everything.

rareair
10-17-2011, 9:20 PM
I've attended the past few Steel Shoots, and everytime has been a fun experience and talking to the regulars you'll something each time. My 1st time was Sept 1st. Real laid back atmosphere & Jamie Franks (Top Shot Season 2 contestant) participated in the event.
Most shooters are regulars and are more than willing to give you some pointers. Here's me shooting at the Sept 15th event-
g7JO0mrQJIw

Mezcalfud
10-18-2011, 8:28 PM
I am a few blocks away and need to get off my a** and do this! Looks fun.

helpme
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
That looks okay, not really what I was expecting. Is there anything in the San Diego area that's closer to this setup: http://www.deadwoodboys.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=41

Action pistol type shooting is what I'm looking for, I hate standing still and shooting steel...

missiondude
10-19-2011, 8:09 PM
The Lemon Grove Gun Club (outdoor range) has two pistol matches a month - action pistol on the 1st Sat and IDPA on the 3rd Sat. Details are on their website lemongrovegunclub.com. Matches usually last until about noon, and it's $15 for non-club members. Stages usually have several paper targets, swingers, pop-ups and knock-downs, and other stuff.