PDA

View Full Version : First AR Lower

Cinnaduma
10-17-2011, 3:32 PM
I am about to order my AR lower this week. Any pro/cons to the PSA lowers? They seem to be about the cheapest around which is great for me.

Also anyone here personally deal with any FFL in Ventura County they can recommend?

Thanks

sirsloth
10-17-2011, 3:39 PM
Pro: lowest price

Con: takes longer to acquire the lower (order fulfillment time, then ship time, then finally the 10/11 day wait); you can't see/hold the lower in your hand before buying; you aren't helping out local businesses; once you factor in FFL feels, the savings is minimal

Speedpower
10-17-2011, 3:49 PM
CONS:
You are not saving money by buying a lower out of state as the DROS/dealer transfer is $70.00, if the lower you're buying is $59.99 then add shipping ($12.00) and DROS fee ($70.00) total is $141.99, whereas buying a lower (Aero Precision) for $79.99 locally + tax and DROS will end up only $111.99 out the door.

PRO's:
None!

hefedehefe
10-17-2011, 3:51 PM
Yeah, you are better of buying one for $110 at your local ffl

Cinnaduma
10-17-2011, 3:54 PM
Turns out the local FFL in Simi carries Spike's. So I think I am going to check there tomorrow since they are closed Mondays.

Thanks for the quick responses

mike_the_wino
10-17-2011, 3:55 PM
You can actually 'save' money if you buy multiples. But then you have the added expense of building 3+ ARs that you hadn't budgeted for....at least that was my cost analysis.

Look around your area, I imagine someone has a deal on them in your neighborhood. Hell, TDS Guns in Rocklin has 3 stripped lowers for like $189.

Cinnaduma
10-17-2011, 4:02 PM
Anyone deal with Fort Courage Armory in Simi before?

richiem71
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
try the "RIFLE GEAR" in Fountain Valley , orange county or go to www.riflegear.com hope this help

Badkharma
10-18-2011, 7:34 AM
second the riflegear lower!

jetman624
10-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I have gotten two lowers from Rifle Gear and they are top notch to work with. Plenty of selection there. Personally, I like the $99 JD Machine Lowers. I have built two and their quality is top notch.

Cinnaduma
10-18-2011, 3:26 PM
I am putting the money down on a Stag Lower this weekend at FCA. YAY

chrisf
10-18-2011, 3:27 PM
If your looking for a good lower at a cheap price, Look up a plum crazy lower. They come complete at around $120 Ive put 5000+ rounds through mine without a problem

hefedehefe
10-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Got mine at riflegear todat $79 :D

tacticalcity
10-21-2011, 12:26 AM
CONS:
You are not saving money by buying a lower out of state as the DROS/dealer transfer is $70.00, if the lower you're buying is $59.99 then add shipping ($12.00) and DROS fee ($70.00) total is $141.99, whereas buying a lower (Aero Precision) for $79.99 locally + tax and DROS will end up only $111.99 out the door.

PRO's:
None!

How do you know what his FFL charges? It varies from FFL to FFL. Mine charges less than that. Plus who is to say his local shop has lowers for that price? They also vary from dealer to dealer.

Nothing wrong with ordering online. I've done it for years and saved a ton of money on excellent firearms. You have a very jaded view of it.

FYI, the way to really save money buy ordering online is to transfer as many long guns at once that you can afford to do. Most FFLS charge the same to transfer one as they do ten. Unlike handguns, you're not limited to one per 30 day time period. I never transer less than 3 at a time. So even if his dealer charged $70 like you suggest, if the transferred 3 long guns it would be $23 per gun. Since nobody ever builds just one AR, he could do say 2 AR15 lowers, maybe an IO or NDS AK lower, or an inexpensive shotgun or C&R rifle...anything to spread out those fees so if he decides to sell any of them later he won't loose his shirt.

Speedpower
10-21-2011, 8:54 AM
How do you know what his FFL charges? It varies from FFL to FFL. Mine charges less than that. Plus who is to say his local shop has lowers for that price? They also vary from dealer to dealer.

Nothing wrong with ordering online. I've done it for years and saved a ton of money on excellent firearms. You have a very jaded view of it.

FYI, the way to really save money buy ordering online is to transfer as many long guns at once that you can afford to do. Most FFLS charge the same to transfer one as they do ten. Unlike handguns, you're not limited to one per 30 day time period. I never transer less than 3 at a time. So even if his dealer charged $70 like you suggest, if the transferred 3 long guns it would be $23 per gun. Since nobody ever builds just one AR, he could do say 2 AR15 lowers, maybe an IO or NDS AK lower, or an inexpensive shotgun or C&R rifle...anything to spread out those fees so if he decides to sell any of them later he won't loose his shirt.

Trust me I know! When I say transfer fee, that includes both DROS fee and fee that the dealer charges, and it is usually $70.00 and up, so buying the stripped lower from a LGS will be a lot cheaper due to the DROS is only $25.00, people here inquiring about transfer usually buys only 1.