PDA

View Full Version : Sig 556 Classic

Zartan
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Well, rifle time is quickly approaching and I'm reaaaly liking the 556. I like the classic for the polymer handguard over the SWATs rail system. There have been some complaints over the chinsy handguard. Does anyone know if the furniture issues have been resolved?

Being California, will it come with a pinned folding stock or some skelotonized version?

Finally, it will basically be for range/plinking/zombies, so what kind of realistic performance can I expect using irons/or an Eotech? 400, 500yd?

TIA

jchen76@gmail.com
10-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I have the sig 556 is swat patrol. Shorter piston with carbine length rails. The stock was pinned using a larger metal washer so you can't engage folding stock mechanism button.
It's been 100% reliable. It's heavy pig so the recoil feels next to nothing. Confident I can hit man sized target at 300m with my H1 aimpoint, but the pencil barrel and piston action will not make it as accurate as AR beyond those ranges. The barrel is 1 in 7, right now I'm using 55gr 62gr plinking ammo. Maybe 75gr will give it more range/accuracy.

It comes with a pretty good rear diopter sight. Be warned, that the front and rear sights aren't standard AR heights. To add and aftermarket, you need to take front sight off and replace it with Troy/Midwest industries Sig 556 front sight that is AR standard.

My gripe is the shoulder stock and folding mechanism is cheap. Rest of rifle is metal except those parts. I replaced those parts with DDLES folding mechanism that is metal and Troy Industries Battle Axe stock. If you don't care for the folding mechanism, get the version with fixed shoulder stock.

The sig 556 is my poor man's FN Scar or rich man's AK. It's not a bad rifle, but since it's under 1k these days, it's not a bad value either.

Zartan
10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
That's the feedback I was looking for. I definitely don't care about having a non-folding, folding stock. If it doesn't function as it should, I'd just dump it anyway. I think I'll build an AR later, I just want to start shooting right off the bat, no time to build right now. Thanks

GM4spd
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
The collapsible stock is much better then a pinned folder imho. I have
Swiss lo profile sights with tritium inserts--they are excellent sights but
pricey.I prefer this 556 over anything else out there and it is half the cost
of a Scar which I personally don't care for the looks. Also,this rifle shoots
ANY 556 ammo without fail,which is the sale point for me. I know because
I've tried them. This thing uses Colt M16 mags of which there are
probably a billion! Pete

http://www.fototime.com/E54D01F3A1E2E1C/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/B07331BBF16FEC3/standard.jpg

Zartan
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Right on Pete. How far out have you taken it accurately?

Bongos
10-18-2011, 1:14 PM
Pete is good to go and we've shot a few times at ASR, Pete you can try my half MOA SCAR16s anytime next time we meet it will change your opinion (the stock is actually functional)... As far as the Sig 556 effective range, well it's a 223 so 500yrds is possible providing is accurate, I say 300 yards is max for the Sig556 on the steel targets, Going to 400 yrds will probably be 50% hits... I'm an accuracy nut so view my comments/Tests below:

The Sig 556 will be the best AK47 variant you will ever buy, unfortunately the quality has gone down hill with the current production, I had three of the early ones, functions fine but lack in accuracy department. The Sig556 is within spec for 3" or less at 100 yards, to me, this is unacceptable since originally, they advertised it to shoot MOA, it then turned to 1.5" and now 3". Also outside of the canted picatinny rail, this is due to the way the gun is designed and FTE.... if you are going to get one, try to get the early models with the Sig551 parts, they run a used about the same as a new one, but at least you know you are getting one that works.

Now that said, people whom owned Sig556s will come out and say their gun shoots MOA, I've called these people out and not one decides to show up, I like to see it, people will say what do I base my tests on, well, the three I had, two were Swat and one was a classic, mounted to US Optics SN-3 Tpal 3.5-15X scopes and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X mounted on Larue LT-104, shot in a solid rest, match ammo was used from 52 hpbt to 77 gr HP, some groups were in the 6-9" range but the best were around 3"...

GM4spd
10-18-2011, 1:16 PM
Right on Pete. How far out have you taken it accurately?

Off a bench @ Angeles--55 grain Federal 8/10 on 400 yd silhouettes(BIG ones) with
those sights. My SIG groups 5 shots with the same Federal about 2" @100.This from 62 year old eyeballs:D Pete
I don't go beyond 400 with 556 ammo.I know there are heavier bullets etc but like Clint
says,"Mans got to know his limitations!"

Speedpower
10-18-2011, 1:27 PM
I have the SIG556 ER, it never shoots MOA, it's never a bullseye shooter, but as long as it hits the steel plates at 100 yards in ASR I'm happy, couldn't ask for more, one thing I can say is that it is very reliable and have never failed me at all, it goes bang and hits the intended target every-time! it's a battle rifle after-all!

Zartan
10-18-2011, 2:33 PM
Thanks for all the info.

nitroxdiver
10-18-2011, 3:06 PM
Pete, on your swiss sights, do they clamp on the stock receiver rail, or did you order the ones that come with the rail already attached? I ask as I'm thinking of ordering some for mine, but cogunsales now only stocks the ones with the rail already attached, and you have to grind off a receiver thread boss to fit it.
Thanks for your time, sorry for the hijack.

To the OP, The sig is a fine rifle. Mild recoil, very reliable, as accurate as most people are able to shoot. They had some early problems, but those seem to have been pretty much taken care of if you check the sigforum. Prices are at an all time low on them. And I agree, skip the rails and get a classic.

GM4spd
10-18-2011, 3:41 PM
Pete, on your swiss sights, do they clamp on the stock receiver rail, or did you order the ones that come with the rail already attached? I ask as I'm thinking of ordering some for mine, but cogunsales now only stocks the ones with the rail already attached, and you have to grind off a receiver thread boss to fit it.
Thanks for your time, sorry for the hijack.

No,you just PUNCH it out and save it---my diopter is attached to the rail.
It is SUPER FIRM,no problem with that. They cost but are worth it in my
opinion.I bought mine used(like new) and saved about $300--they are
GREY not black so I have a color problem but again for the money I live with them,
the tritium inserts are great and the LO PROFILE are nice giving the rifle an extremely sleek look with things not "sticking up" all over the place. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/C1DEEF2F0BB3423/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/AF05BB6DBF2EA12/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/1FD9185DF2E6499/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/B1EA3F51C71A841/standard.jpg

nitroxdiver
10-18-2011, 8:44 PM
Pete, thank you very much for that info. An internet beer is on me!!
Take care.

Zartan
10-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Sweet sights. Is there room to allow an optic?

sir9usr
10-19-2011, 1:22 PM
Great info and I do like the diopter sight (I have the sig one but had to adapt a riser because of the taller front "AR" style sight). I bought my 556 almost 3 years ago and swapped the stock for an MOE (btw: it's a commercial sized tube not military & I should've known better by measuring first). Accuracy is what it is and the recoil is really light and the trigger is very smooth for a "battle" grade rifle. The one thing worth mentioning is maintenance. Just cleaning the gas tube/plug/piston/wound spring can take as long as cleaning an entire AR (and I thought AUGs were complex). Its not as simple as an AK or even a FAL for that matter. There's a couple of parts that need to go back a certain way. Then again Swiss engineering is never simple....

unusedusername
10-19-2011, 2:46 PM
My classic has the polymer hand guard and I've had no issues with it.

Just like an AR polymer hand guard, it is held on by pressure, so you probably won't want to mount a laser to the little plastic rails on it.

I like the polymer hand guards because they weigh a lot less then the rails, and this rifle is heavy enough already without more weight.

I routinely take it out to Sunnyvale and ping their steel targets offhand at 100 yards with iron sights. I have not tried benching it for super-accuracy because I usually feed it wolf ammo, which is not all that accurate in itself.

GM4spd
10-19-2011, 3:09 PM
Great info and I do like the diopter sight (I have the sig one but had to adapt a riser because of the taller front "AR" style sight). I bought my 556 almost 3 years ago and swapped the stock for an MOE (btw: it's a commercial sized tube not military & I should've known better by measuring first). Accuracy is what it is and the recoil is really light and the trigger is very smooth for a "battle" grade rifle. The one thing worth mentioning is maintenance. Just cleaning the gas tube/plug/piston/wound spring can take as long as cleaning an entire AR

There is no need to remove the gas tube for cleaning---just pull the
piston out and clean it--doesnt take that long--I do it ONCE a year or
after 1000 rds and I know it will CONTINUE to run even if I dont clean it-
(because I just went a year without cleaning the gas system or bolt).I
did clean the bore after each shooting session. Pete

GM4spd
10-19-2011, 3:14 PM
Sweet sights. Is there room to allow an optic?

This I don't know,sorry. Maybe you can tell from the pics if there is enough
room left on the rail. Pete:shrug:

sir9usr
10-19-2011, 9:49 PM
Pete - I agree with you 100% about the occasional cleaning of a gas tube....its just my own paranoia from 16 years ago when I purchased this through Martin B. Retting....

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g356/flea70/galilmod372.jpg

Its a Mod 372 ARM by Magnum Research (a 'non' Galil) that was found on Sturmgewehr.

Everything was good to go - shot sweet, had the occasional trigger bite like most of the early models. So I decided to do a thorough cleaning and WTF!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g356/flea70/galiltube.jpg

that's not carbon deposits in the gas tube but pits in the metal. Got bummed because the rifle was rated about 92-95%. The barrel is still mirror like and there's no pits on the gas piston probably due to the chroming but I really don't know what caused the tube to pit that badly. Corrosive ammo? (highly unlikely) Excessive humidity? (maybe?) not sure but now I try to clean all my rifles (including the gas tubes) more frequently....So sorry, just my paranoia...

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g356/flea70/556group.jpg

taladeganite
10-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I really like your divirsity in selection! ^^^^

GM4spd
10-25-2011, 5:40 AM
I had that same Galil model before I moved to CA,17 years ago,I can see
the pitting in the gas tube--- although it looks bad I doubt it would keep it
from functioning,however it would bother me knowing it was like that.The
Galil was great but in 556 I like the SIG because it is actually a more
refined version of the Galil and the SIG has a much better on/off switch!
Pete

sir9usr
10-25-2011, 8:58 PM
Pete,

What's the possibility that this may be your "Galil"!?:29: - you didn't sell it to Buddy Hinton before moving to Kali did ya? Yes, the pitted gas tube does not affect the performance of the Galil and I've never had any stoppages with it, although the trigger does "bite" after about 100-200 rnds. I'm with you on the SIG - although the Galil is rugged, it's no where nearly as refined. I like the smoothness of the SIG recoil, the ease of charging the bolt and the trigger. Its mild enough to shoot off your chin and its still modular enough to adapt to any situation. I just need better sights and I'm itching to run a real hi-cap out of it (and ditch the BB with a weak spring which lets the mag sit a little low - no misfeeds but the bolt stop operates in 'optional' mode).

GM4spd
10-28-2011, 3:18 PM
Pete,

What's the possibility that this may be your "Galil"!?:29: - you didn't sell it to Buddy Hinton before moving to Kali did ya? Yes, the pitted gas tube does not affect the performance of the Galil and I've never had any stoppages with it, although the trigger does "bite" after about 100-200 rnds. I'm with you on the SIG - although the Galil is rugged, it's no where nearly as refined. I like the smoothness of the SIG recoil, the ease of charging the bolt and the trigger. Its mild enough to shoot off your chin and its still modular enough to adapt to any situation. I just need better sights and I'm itching to run a real hi-cap out of it (and ditch the BB with a weak spring which lets the mag sit a little low - no misfeeds but the bolt stop operates in 'optional' mode).

No my Galil was an "Action Arms" from Philadelphia at that time and I left it
in Maine. I really felt bad about not having the Galil but after using my SIG 556 which is really MORE refined and (accurate) plus the SAFETY is light years ahead of the Galil---I am completely happy,
I'm glad SIG produces them despite the trashing they get from some users,
(which may be justified)--maybe I'm just lucky with mine but I gotta say
they are tough and reliable! Did I mention they look good:cool2: ? Pete