PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Torture Test

Rouge Recon
10-17-2011, 9:16 AM
I found this video interesting. Who else runs tests like this on their rifles?

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

mif_slim
10-17-2011, 9:24 AM
Me. Lol

starsnuffer
10-17-2011, 9:31 AM
Let me know when they do this test with it:

416 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU)

-W

h0use
10-17-2011, 9:55 AM
nice vid! i would not mind trying that on my lwrc lol

dieselpower
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
there is no special gravy used on an AR... they can all do that.

please no Plumcrazy / CarbonFiber comments... you know what I mean...

EvoXRiley
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
cool vid

pacifico23
10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Mine goes through similar abuse. Benchrest shooting at Angeles can get pretty brutal.

dieselpower
10-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Mine goes through similar abuse. Benchrest shooting at Angeles can get pretty brutal.

I remember watching a car load of gang bangers practice drive-bys at Lytle creek one day. Never went there alone again.

awall919
10-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I remember watching a car load of gang bangers practice drive-bys at Lytle creek one day. Never went there alone again. :eek::facepalm:

The things that some people think up astounds me sometimes.

I watched a similar video that Spikes made stress testing their ARs, Pretty much same results. I am rather amazed that the Aimpoint still worked after all that abuse in the D.D video.

captbilly
10-17-2011, 11:09 AM
The real question for the owner of any piece of equipment is whether or not that equipment will do what it needs to do when it needs to do it. I was a USAF pilot, and though it might have been nice if our plane could fly after throwing a hand grenade into a running engine, that's not how we used our planes. It is interesting to see that an AR can work after being driven over (on a dirt road so that the pressure was able to force the gun into the dirt to absorb most of the impact), but I very rarely drive over my ARs befor I go shooting. The ability to shoot after exposure to dirt and rain and no cleaning, may be truely useful for a soldier, but these short term 'torture tests' aren't nearly as telling as years of properly maintained service. I want to know if mt AR will still be zeroed to 1/2 moa if i leave it in my closit for a year or two, not if it will still shoot if I leave it in a pool of lava for a week.

ZombieTactics
10-17-2011, 11:51 AM
...[/URL]
I am considering doing these kinds of tests on a cheap S&W M&P15 Sport just to see if it really takes a "special awesome" AR15 to hold up under this kind of abuse.

I am somewhat of the opinion that there is nothing really all that impressive about these tests, and that just about any good AR15 could exhibit similar performance.

Perhaps we shall see ... could make for good video on my YouTube channel at any rate!

Iskra
10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
IMO, the video says more about he Aimpoint than it says about the AR

Knife Edge
10-17-2011, 12:07 PM
The real question for the owner of any piece of equipment is whether or not that equipment will do what it needs to do when it needs to do it. I was a USAF pilot, and though it might have been nice if our plane could fly after throwing a hand grenade into a running engine, that's not how we used our planes. It is interesting to see that an AR can work after being driven over (on a dirt road so that the pressure was able to force the gun into the dirt to absorb most of the impact), but I very rarely drive over my ARs befor I go shooting. The ability to shoot after exposure to dirt and rain and no cleaning, may be truely useful for a soldier, but these short term 'torture tests' aren't nearly as telling as years of properly maintained service. I want to know if mt AR will still be zeroed to 1/2 moa if i leave it in my closit for a year or two, not if it will still shoot if I leave it in a pool of lava for a week.

But if a DD is $1200 at Riflegear and the Bushmaster is $100 less....

Dhena81
10-17-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see more of these torture tests with optics like an Eotech for example and see if it could keep zero as long as the Micro did.

fixitoscar
10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Hooray for milspec!!

I agree, it looks more like an aimpoint torture test.

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 12:24 PM
here you go. check this one out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOv-oy8Eq6I&feature=related
this one shows different

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 12:24 PM
this one shows different fast forward to 4:12 of the video testing begins.

someR1
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
this one shows different fast forward to 4:12 of the video testing begins.

comparing AK & AR is like apples to oranges

repubconserv
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
this one shows different

its all in like... spanish or something

NorCalRedneck
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

Wait so burying the gun in dirt with the ejection cover shut is considered torture?

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 1:00 PM
comparing AK & AR is like apples to oranges

Why is it apple n oranges?
they shoot similar sized rounds. 5.45x39 and 5.56
theyre both pretty accurate!
and I love both setups.
btw that is an ak74 not an ak47!
but you already knew that I'm sure. but its not apple n oranges more like tangerines and oranges lol

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 1:02 PM
its all in like... spanish or something

Its russian lol but all you have to do is watch and you'll understand. I wonder if my mp15 will handle a torture test?

Tacit Blue
10-17-2011, 1:06 PM
Let me know when they do this test with it:

416 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU)

-W

Yeah exactly. The direct impingement cannot do the famous " Over the beach test" The gun would explode from all the water in the breach and in the tube.

Gas Pistons AR and 416's are the only thing that can handle extreme abuse. This torture test is pretty impressive, but how many soldiers tape their barrels when walking through a river? You hold it over your back to prevent that.

If you drop it :facepalm: You cannot bring it up and fire it quickly like a gas piston. You have to pull the charging handle back and take the mag out let it empty the water first before firing on a D.I rifle.

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 1:14 PM
Yeah exactly. The direct impingement cannot do the famous " Over the beach test" The gun would explode from all the water in the breach and in the tube.

Gas Pistons AR and 416's are the only thing that can handle extreme abuse. This torture test is pretty impressive, but how many soldiers tape their barrels when walking through a river? You hold it over your back to prevent that.

If you drop it :facepalm: You cannot bring it up and fire it quickly like a gas piston. You have to pull the charging handle back and take the mag out let it empty the water first before firing on a D.I rifle.

This!
when I recupperate from my 458socom upper I just bought I wanna get a piston upper.

shadow65
10-17-2011, 1:14 PM
A lot of nothing. The Aimpoint did impress me though.
Dave N

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 1:16 PM
Dave N

Thats what I was thinkling when he shot it with the shotgun.

Tacit Blue
10-17-2011, 1:20 PM
This!
when I recupperate from my 458socom upper I just bought I wanna get a piston upper.

Yup. Back in the day before all the gas piston AR's, and fancy rifles. They would put a condom/barrel plug over the barrel to prevent water from getting in. Seals still do that, if they're using a M4/M16 D.I load out. So basically it worked as long as the bolt was closed and the plug/condom was on the barrel. The condoms were better because you could shoot through it :)

MrPlink
10-17-2011, 2:14 PM
Dave N

yep.
This vid has been posted 1000 times already.
The main thing to remember, this is an ADVERTISEMENT!

Inquirer
10-17-2011, 7:55 PM
To all AK purists - LOL:

pMXKo8fySrg

Wonder if maybe Allah was trying to tell him something?

--Inq

vikingm03
10-17-2011, 8:42 PM
this one shows different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

this one shows different. :rolleyes: Also, mines in English :cool2:

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 9:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

this one shows different. :rolleyes: Also, mines in English :cool2:

Well how about we take my ak and your ar and get down n dirty with em? I'll tell you this that obe I posted was a military test. But if you really think that an ar can take more abuse than an ak lets try it.
I'll also say this, id never try this stuff on any of my old ar's or the one I pick up from jail next week.

vikingm03
10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Well how about we take my ak and your ar and get down n dirty with em? I'll tell you this that obe I posted was a military test. But if you really think that an ar can take more abuse than an ak lets try it.
I'll also say this, id never try this stuff on any of my old ar's or the one I pick up from jail next week.

internet tough guy, is that you?

LovingTheYear1911
10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Anyone else notice the bolt in the HK video? In the beginning of the video the bolt is open as he drops it in the water, then the video cuts and is at a different angle, but when he takes the rifle out of the water, the bolt is closed!!!!!!

Thats what I call a scam.

Code7inOaktown
10-17-2011, 10:46 PM

Well, we have seen what the DD AR can do, why don't you shoot your AK, dunk it, run it over, blow it up, drop it from a moving car, drop it from a tower and helicopter and let us know if it still works or not? (;

digitalelf
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Anyone else notice the bolt in the HK video? In the beginning of the video the bolt is open as he drops it in the water, then the video cuts and is at a different angle, but when he takes the rifle out of the water, the bolt is closed!!!!!!

Thats what I call a scam.

If you're referring to the "416" video, in the beginning of the video, it shows the requirements for the test, and one of them is to close the bolt while the gun is still underwater after it has been allowed to fill completely with water...

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 11:05 PM
internet tough guy, is that you?

Bud 2 things 1 you dont know me and 2 whats tough about testing them side by side? Worried your overpriced weapon wont hold up? Like its owner maybe? anyways theres no reason to be butthurt, saying an ar is as reliable as an ak is like saying an ak47 is as accurate as an ar. Theyre both good weapons it just kills me when you guys eat this stuff up when 90% of you know your di ar's cant withstand these tests and the other 10% are lying to themselves. Now a gp ar thats another story.

Cato
10-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Stag certainly doesn't.

Josh3239
10-17-2011, 11:39 PM
BS.

The Marines, Coast Guard, Navy SWCCs and SEALs some how managed to figure out how to do amphibous assaults, maritime operations/patrols without their rifles exploding. Search Youtube hard enough and there are plenty of guys who found a creek and threw their loaded ARs in there without a barrel condom and shoot it.

BS on the "gas piston" ARs too, a barrel obstruction is a barrel obstruction and it will blow up the rifle regardless of what the gas system is. I don't know where you people get this idea that if you stick an operating rod in a gun's gas tube suddenly gas, carbon, sand, water, and whatever else you can think of just disapears or doesn't matter.

And no that is no how you properly drain an AR.

m03
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
LOL @ spelling mistake at the end of the video. Apparently, H&K makes troughs now.

Tacit Blue
10-18-2011, 1:52 AM
BS.

The Marines, Coast Guard, Navy SWCCs and SEALs some how managed to figure out how to do amphibous assaults, maritime operations/patrols without their rifles exploding. Search Youtube hard enough and there are plenty of guys who found a creek and threw their loaded ARs in there without a barrel condom and shoot it.

BS on the "gas piston" ARs too, a barrel obstruction is a barrel obstruction and it will blow up the rifle regardless of what the gas system is. I don't know where you people get this idea that if you stick an operating rod in a gun's gas tube suddenly gas, carbon, sand, water, and whatever else you can think of just disapears or doesn't matter.

And no that is no how you properly drain an AR.

BS? That video showed you it COULD HAPPEN. Either way it demonstrates that gas pistons are the way to go for maritime operations.

MrPlink
10-18-2011, 4:44 AM
eh, using our guys as anecdotes to prove that one system is superior to another just does not hold water (no pun intended) to me. They can make anything work well because they are trained to be the best at what they do period.

Id be more worried about a SF guy or somebody in 10th mountain coming after me armed only with a rubber band gun than I would with your average mall ninja armed with the latest and greatest.

The concept of an individual employing small arms is no different than grand strategy, know what you have, defend against its weaknesses and exploit its strengths. Easy as that

MrExel17
10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
:lurk5:

rayrayz
10-18-2011, 1:38 PM
To all AK purists - LOL:

pMXKo8fySrg

Wonder if maybe Allah was trying to tell him something?

--Inq

HOly crap! and it didn't even hurt him....

Inquirer
10-18-2011, 2:11 PM
eh, using our guys as anecdotes to prove that one system is superior to another just does not hold water (no pun intended) to me. They can make anything work well because they are trained to be the best at what they do period.

Id be more worried about a SF guy or somebody in 10th mountain coming after me armed only with a rubber band gun than I would with your average mall ninja armed with the latest and greatest.

The concept of an individual employing small arms is no different than grand strategy, know what you have, defend against its weaknesses and exploit its strengths. Easy as that

I dig this post. SOG guys forty years ago just used knives and the worst version of M16. That did them okay. Granted, some of them picked up the enemy's AKs.

--Inq