PDA

View Full Version : Well, if finally happened. I finally had a negligent discharge..

Victor346
10-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I've been debating posting this in the past few days but I figure I should as a reminder.

Me and a couple friends went shooting a few days ago up in the mountains. We brought a few pistols, some rifles, and a shotgun with some clays. The shot gun was my friend's and it's an old single shot. The barrel is stamped Topper Model 39, I believe. It's a single shot, break action, 12 gauge and we were shooting some clays with it.

The extractor on the shotgun kept messing up and it wouldn't extract the spend hulls properly. So, I told my friend that it's probably dirty and I offered him my cleaner and oil. The gun worked perfectly after he polished it up. Well, this particular model doesn't have a safety. You need to manually decock it by pulling the trigger and releasing the hammer with your thumb.

We were about to throw the last few more clays. I cocked the gun and was ready to fire. Something happened were the clay didn't come out right and my friend was going to reload a new one. While he was doing this I began to walk towards something beside me while I was decocking the shotgun. Now, my friend had just got done lubing that whole area up. My attention was divided, I pulled the trigger and held the hammer to set it softly. I was about a quarter of an inch away from the firing pin and it slid off my thumb. BOOM. There goes the bird shot.

Thank God, I always point my guns down range. I couldn't imagine how bad I would have felt if I had hurt one of my guys. I felt like such an idiot and rightfully so. So just a reminder to all you calgunners out there: These things aren't toys, they need your full attention when they're in your hands.

Stay safe.

w55
10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Good reminder. Glad you were pointing it down in safe manner.

WWDHD?
10-17-2011, 1:52 AM
Thanks for sharing. It might not have been easy to post this but luckily nobody got hurt and we all can learn from this. As much fun as guns are we got to remember safety is everything. Those four basic firearm safety rules have to be followed 100%!

tozan
10-17-2011, 2:05 AM
These two guys pretty much summed up everything that needs to be said... Glad you and your friends are safe. I wonder if it would have been safer to just break it open?

Turo
10-17-2011, 2:33 AM
Glad nobody got hurt.

Now, let that serve as a cheap lesson not to decock a single action firearm with a live round in it.

I'm kind of confused as to why you would decock it in the first place. My question is the same as tozan's. Why wouldn't you just break it open again?

NSR500
10-17-2011, 2:53 AM
Glad nobody got hurt.

Now, let that serve as a cheap lesson not to decock a single action firearm with a live round in it.

I'm kind of confused as to why you would decock it in the first place. My question is the same as tozan's. Why wouldn't you just break it open again?

QFT

Merc1138
10-17-2011, 2:57 AM
A prime example of why the rules of firearm safety exist. Keeping it pointed in a safe direction prevented a potentially horrible situation. Although I'm with the other guys, I don't understand why you didn't just break it open. You should take this as a lesson about why you don't just ride the hammer down with your thumb to de-cock a gun.

MrExel17
10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reminder! I can't never get tried or even beginning told of safety around firearms.All it takes is one accident!

FourLoko
10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Glad it was pointed in a safe direction.

At least it wasn't in your kitchen and you didn't murder your freezer.

Group 4
10-17-2011, 10:20 AM
A thoughtful reminder. Thanks Victor. Glad no one was injured.

Victor346
10-17-2011, 10:23 AM
A lesson indeed. I just didn't even think about breaking it open at the time. I wish I would have though. It would have saved the embarrassment and dangerous situation.

I'm never doing that again, that's for sure.

infernl
10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear nothing but some leaves were disturbed.
It could have turned out differently indeed.

ken worth
10-17-2011, 10:29 AM
A lesson indeed. I just didn't even think about breaking it open at the time. I wish I would have though. It would have saved the embarrassment and dangerous situation.

I'm never doing that again, that's for sure.

The reminder to keep the muzzle downrange is worth a little embarassment.
been there ,done that.

bruceflinch
10-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Thought this was a Neil Macauley thread from the OT Forum....:D

voiceofreason
10-17-2011, 1:13 PM
Thank you for sharing.

mike_the_wino
10-17-2011, 1:28 PM
Good post! Glad no one was hurt.

the_t0ny
10-17-2011, 2:18 PM
Nobody and nothing was hurt, and no hole in your refrigerator :)

ubet
10-17-2011, 2:22 PM
Accidents do happen, thats why YOU NEVER POINT A GUN AT SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DESTROY! You did that, and everyone lived to tell about it.

Go have a beer for posting this, you deserve it.

Just Dave
10-17-2011, 7:40 PM
Pointing your gun in a safe direction, the 'other' safety feature.
Glad no one was hurt.

Ubermcoupe
10-17-2011, 7:46 PM
Glad to hear everyone was ok.

Mickey D
10-17-2011, 8:04 PM
Could have been a Cheney moment.

jaymz
10-17-2011, 8:29 PM
That is why I always say that the ONLY firearm safety rule that must never be forgotten is to never point a firearm at something that you are not willing to destroy. If every other rule but that one is broken, the only that's gonna get hurt is your pride.

bubbapug1
10-17-2011, 8:55 PM
You'll probably never have another one, and your brave to be so honest on this forum.

Victor346
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
You'll probably never have another one, and your brave to be so honest on this forum.

Yeah, they aren't fun, that's for sure. I've been part of some pretty brutal forums and to be honest, this thread isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Happy shooting. :)

Toolbox X
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
But, but but, so many people say they are never going to have a ND?!?! ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you intentionally followed at least one of the safety rules. Following just one will prevent people and important stuff from getting blasted.

4x4Trooper
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't know about the shotgun in question, but my break action NEF won't let you open the action with the hammer cocked.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk

EGL
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Has anyone experienced my "double tap" negligent discharge?

Glockmeister on Facebook sez: October 07, 2011 11:40 AM

"Want tighter groups from your GLOCK handgun? Try firing from the reset. After discharging the firearm, release the trigger slowly until you hear and feel an audible "click." Retain the finger pressure against the trigger, and squeeze it further once more, discharging the firearm. This substantially reduces the travel of the trigger on follow-up shots. With a little practice, this method will quickly become a natural part of your GLOCK firearm manipulation."

Be careful with this procedure! I was at the shooting center the other day and I was on my target. I thought I had the "hang" of this after a few tries BUT, while still aiming down range I experienced a "double tap" so quickly I thought I was going to have an embarrassing biological moment. The second round fired while still in the recoil position and went into the ceiling above my target. This is too dangerous for me to eventually get the procedure down correctly.

guns4life
10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Good job, the safe firearm handling you did display(not covering a person, etc with your muzzle) kept you from making an accident a tragedy. Another win for firearm safety.

esartori
10-18-2011, 3:31 PM
Glad you are safe. My buddy has a break barrel shotgun as well. I will definitely be sharing this with him :)

Bongos
10-21-2011, 10:46 PM
this is worst!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38188992@N04/6218465924/

r3dn3ck
10-22-2011, 7:52 AM
seems accidental discharge. Negligent would be to my mind one that didn't have the muzzle in a generally safe direction. A slim distinction to be sure but a distinction.

bloodhawke83
10-22-2011, 11:05 AM
At least its not a David.

BigDogatPlay
10-22-2011, 11:10 AM

The design likely won't allow the barrel to be opened with the hammer cocked. I've got two 1920's single shot guns with exposed hammers and neither will let you break open the action with the hammer cocked. I'd guess not to allow the gun to have any chance of firing out of battery.

Good on the OP paying good mind and keeping the muzzle downrange.