PDA

View Full Version : How to take care of business at night?????

utahraptor
10-16-2011, 9:50 PM
So barring expensive NV scopes, how would one go about setting up a rifle to engage targets out to 50,75, maybe even 100 meters? Consider this a light, laser, reddot question.

SHTF type stuff people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Thanks

sixzulu
10-16-2011, 10:01 PM
I use a surefire on my AR to shoot @ night. What type of rifle/targets do you have in mind?

utahraptor
10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Target - bad things

Rifle - possibilities > long distance rifles, AR15, Mini-14, M1A

Any advice of ranges outside of a light - maybe more subtle at times too?

Red or green laser?

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
ROFL, if you shot a person at night at 50+ yards I think your butt hole is gonna get a little bigger.

killshot44
10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Musco lighting system ?

/ was going to go with wine and music till I read the thread ;)

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
ROFL, if you shot a person at night at 50+ yards I think your butt hole is gonna get a little bigger.

lol.... +1

Lasers suck...

I use one of these, and can shoot out to 300 yards easy... I use it on my 24" Target AR for night shooting in the desert.

At 100-200 yards its looks like daylight in my scope. Its one of the best flashlight purchases ive made in a long time, and I own a LOT of flahslights... Its my best thrower.

If you want a smaller light, consider the Cree R2 or R5 LED. It wont as bright as an XML light, but it will throw if you want smaller. I have a pocket light that throws out to 100 yards.

Olight M3X, uses a standard 1" weapon mount tube with pressure pad options for weapon use...

http://goinggear.com/olight-m3x-triton-700-lumen-xm-l-led-flashlight-1.html

ASH0WXioYe8

utahraptor
10-16-2011, 10:29 PM

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????:confused:

utahraptor
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
The OP is referring to SHTF, zombies, WORL,TEOTWAWKI, natural disaster, major civil unrest, whatever.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
You said the target would be a human at 50+ yards at night. I can't possibly think of a self-defense situation that would involve such a shot. So if its not self-defense then it would be murder or attempted murder and you'd be going away for a long time. I'm just assuming you won't be the biggest guy in prison but you may have the biggest butt hole.

It was more of a joke, but the fact that you are asking about this makes me feel a little uneasy. You are either a tacticool, zombie's are real type of guy or your a murderer. I'm guessing tacticool, zombie, STHF type of guy. In which case I think you have more important things to worry about. Based on past events having this senario play out seems VERY unlikely.

utahraptor
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
One never knows:33::43:

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 10:56 PM
One never knows:33::43:

Have you stocked up on supplies, come up with plans on what to do depending on different senarios, learned how to implement simple medical techniques, etc?

Either way, with my surefire scout which is the same as a E2DL without the low setting I can see out to 50 yards but not much further at night. Of course this is with irons and its not pitch black like it would be in a STHF situation. If you are REALLY worried about this, you gotta bite the bullet and get NV.

Reductio
10-16-2011, 10:59 PM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????:confused:

http://a1.img.mobypicture.com/45c95223fda004c8b0b38f5d0efa8c53_view.jpg

The very fact you're talking about this on a 'sniper' rifle and looking to engage targets at night means you really need to do a LOT more research on what self defense is in California. If you're just looking for SHTF, a flashlight's going to be more practical.

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
My flashlight recommendation was geared towards target shooting... which is great to keep my night shooting going in the desert...

Rich has a point tho, if you are looking for actual engagement scenarios... I hope you have a valid reason for this. 50+ yards isn't really defensive unless ur taking fire.

Unless you are going to invest some bucks in NV or other military type equipment like a PEQ, I don't think you are going to accomplish much...

On top of this, the above is some serious stuff to have for a SHTF scenario... Sniper Scopes are illegal (magnified NV)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Timberwolf
10-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Turn the power down on your scope to allow as much light as possible. You would be surprised what you can see once your eyes adjust.

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Turn the power down on your scope to allow as much light as possible. You would be surprised what you can see once your eyes adjust.

Or buy really good optics...

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Or... save some more and buy a tank. Ultimate SHTF vehicle. You dont need night vision. Just shoot in the general direction with your 120mm cannon. Problem solved. Infact I can't think or a problem that can't be solved with a tank!

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 11:10 PM
or... light the way with muzzle flash

from ur tank

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 11:12 PM

from ur tank

See, problem solved... with a TANK!

Reductio
10-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Or... save some more and buy a tank. Ultimate SHTF vehicle. You dont need night vision. Just shoot in the general direction with your 120mm cannon. Problem solved. Infact I can't think or a problem that can't be solved with a tank!

You can't pick up chicks in a tank.

BGyuXh5B_6g

Droppin Deuces
10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm kind of disappointed you didn't use the term "night ops" even once.

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 11:18 PM

LOL, i dunno about that man...

I'm sure id get plenty of attention from the ladies if I had a tank...

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I lol everytime I see this haha.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/320790_10150345971206988_349176416987_8129291_2504 01173_n.jpg

And +1 on the tank pict

CrossedRifles
10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
They should make a picatinny mount for desk lamps.

Dat advantage.

FMJBT
10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Could try a laser designator like the Laser Genetics ND3. Lot of guys use them for hog hunting at night. Not sure I'd want to try it on something that might shoot back though. Lasers and flashlights both kind of suck in that way :)

You can get into a Gen 2 ATN PS-22 for less than $2000. Not exactly cheap, but about the cheapest NV available that will convert a standard daylight optic to NV. Gen 2 is a bit grainy, but should be more than adequate within 200 yards. IIRC, NV rifle scopes are illegal in CA though, so that might not be the best option.

A minigun with tracers would probably be optimal for your purposes, but again you get into that pesky legality issue.....

Edit: Parachute flares. End thread.

sirsloth
10-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Where does he say anything about defense??? Hey if the SHTF and we can't count on our military, we may need brave men like him to lead a night time assault on whoever wants to do us harm.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Where does he say anything about defense??? Hey if the SHTF and we can't count on our military, we may need brave men like him to lead a night time assault on whoever wants to do us harm.

:smilielol5: Good point. I'm gonna start playing airsoft next week to get combat experience.

MrPlink
10-16-2011, 11:48 PM

dont tease the mall ninjas

BigfootHunter
10-16-2011, 11:59 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/aaf6af76-3532-4b1e-adaa-ecb7fa88558c.jpg

u nede one ov dese

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:38 AM
I'm kind of disappointed you didn't use the term "night ops" even once.

Well, that should say something.

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:39 AM
or employed 'low light tactics'..

kids spend way too much time playing video games these days..

See above response

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:41 AM
dont tease the mall ninjas

Dont usually go to malls. Not a ninja, that implies ronin. Now a samurai............................?:)

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:41 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/aaf6af76-3532-4b1e-adaa-ecb7fa88558c.jpg

u nede one ov dese

I hate cats!

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:45 AM
http://a1.img.mobypicture.com/45c95223fda004c8b0b38f5d0efa8c53_view.jpg

The very fact you're talking about this on a 'sniper' rifle and looking to engage targets at night means you really need to do a LOT more research on what self defense is in California. If you're just looking for SHTF, a flashlight's going to be more practical.

By sniper rifle, I am referring to a heavy barreled, long distance, bolt gun, with reasonably high-powered optics. I am well versed in what self defense is. As I previously stated this is PURELY a question regarding SHTF, nothin more. You guys need to relax.

jgraham15
10-17-2011, 3:45 AM
This thread makes me :rofl2:

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:50 AM
Have you stocked up on supplies, come up with plans on what to do depending on different senarios, learned how to implement simple medical techniques, etc?

I can take care of all of those easily, and Im a bit past simple medical techniques.

Again people, this is a semi-hypothetical question regarding a SHTF scenario, loosen up those sphincters a little. You guys are like a 7.5 on the pucker factor.
Relax........think happy thoughts.........fondle your OLL:D

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:57 AM

Re-read the post, I already stated that!

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 3:59 AM
:smilielol5: Good point. I'm gonna start playing airsoft next week to get combat experience.

Part of me wonders if it would help, but then on the the other hand, if you are typing this from Lanternman Developmental Center, then it might.

utahraptor
10-17-2011, 4:06 AM

You are on your own!:D

doc1buc
10-17-2011, 4:22 AM
Wow! You guys need to relax. Granted this should be dumped into "Off Topic", but jeez.....

scarville
10-17-2011, 5:00 AM
If the girls not interested in your tank, she's the wrong girl.
If the SHTF, the Zombies occupy the cities and the whole world has gone south, then the guy with the biggest tank will get the girls.

Until he runs out of fuel or ammo :)

goodlookin1
10-17-2011, 6:29 AM
PEQ-15 (http://www.opticsplanet.net/insight-technology-atpial-an-peq-15-standard-power-advanced-target-pointer-and-illumi.html)

+

NV Illuminator (http://www.opticsplanet.net/l-3-infrared-products-night-vision-m2124-clip-on-night-vision-device.html)

+

NV Eotech (http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-transverse-red-dot-site-nv-compatible-xps3.html)

=

One heavy effing mall ninja setup. How fast you gonna run with that 17lb AR-15?

But hey, at least you have an invisible IR laser, a visible red laser, night vision, and a day and night optic. Pretty much got all your bases covered for when Zombies or "bad things" come after you.

Except for the tiny issue of "government regulation" and those pesky little laws that keep you from buying all this stuff.

The end.

Zartan
10-17-2011, 6:32 AM

By force

peter95
10-17-2011, 7:07 AM

BGyuXh5B_6g

LOL this video is funny. I've seen other ones but not this one. Thanks.

Anyways, if you are thinking about shtf at night time, I wouldn't do it or else you'll give up your position.

Sit and hang tight till morning and get a night vision anyways just so you can know if threat ever comes your way

starsnuffer
10-17-2011, 7:50 AM
If **** hit the fan, you might be better off investing in good rain gear and sanitary wipes. Just sayin.

-W

21SF
10-17-2011, 7:57 AM
SureFire + aimpoint

Just for target shooting, not for covert OPS.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx338/akamurk/AR.jpg

RRichie09
10-17-2011, 5:28 PM
As I previously stated this is PURELY a question regarding SHTF, nothin more. You guys need to relax.

No we get it. Its just that your SHTF senario is sooo out there. Are you sure you are not just trying to justify buying more tacticool stuff? If you want it, then get it. I could come up with a senario where I would need a M203 grenade launcher but is it likely to happen? Hell no.

Inquirer
10-17-2011, 5:31 PM
Musco lighting system ?

Irrelevant advice for OP. In real SHTF situations you won't have to deal with those pesky complications like "wooing a chick" or "consent". She'll just throw herself at you once you save her from zombies or raiders. I mean, jeez - you're not undead so your genes must be right to breed with! Right?

But seriously, +1 for lights and music.

nitroxdiver
10-17-2011, 6:14 PM
A good surefire weapon light and an aimpoint

Fate
10-18-2011, 7:21 AM
From the title, I was wondering if the OP was looking for info on bedpans and pee bottles.

utahraptor
10-18-2011, 9:32 PM
Irrelevant advice for OP. In real SHTF situations you won't have to deal with those pesky complications like "wooing a chick" or "consent". She'll just throw herself at you once you save her from zombies or raiders. I mean, jeez - you're not undead so your genes must be right to breed with! Right?

But seriously, +1 for lights and music.

Now we are talking sage advice!

comblock
10-18-2011, 10:26 PM
huh?!? whut?
I was thinking some mood lighting, candles, some bubbly and a little slow jams.

redcliff
10-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Could someone explain why all NV scopes are illegal as has been represented by posters in this thread several times? The prohibition I see (and ignoring any Fish and Game codes assuming you're not using them for hunting) only bans "active" night vision scopes with infrared illuminators. Has something changed in the laws recently?

Sniperscopes
468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

jeanreau
01-21-2012, 1:34 AM
Anyways, if you are thinking about shtf at night time, I wouldn't do it or else you'll give up your position.

Sit and hang tight till morning and get a night vision anyways just so you can know if threat ever comes your way

Agreed. Never give up your position especially at night. You'd might as well light sparklers, put them behind your ears and sing "Happy Birthday Mr. President" Marilyn Monroe style...

Chaos47
01-21-2012, 1:47 AM
why the hell did you bump this after 2 months of it being dead?

peytonrandolph
01-21-2012, 2:02 AM
flare gun :shrug:

MrPlink
01-21-2012, 2:51 AM
what would u recommend for shooting an elephant out to 1000yds at night?
And could the same set up be used to defend my local mall?
:ninja:

Chaos47
01-21-2012, 3:04 AM
what would u recommend for shooting an elephant out to 1000yds at night?
And could the same set up be used to defend my local mall?
:ninja:

Well to make a elephant travel over 1k yards you will probably do best with a railway cannon like Gustav. For nightops I recommend a pair of quick detachable search lights!

http://user.mc.net/hawk/doracol.jpg

If your mall is near a rail way and you have a lot of peanuts you are gtg!

Elephants don't make great projectiles though...

:devil: ... lol ...

peter95
01-21-2012, 3:23 AM

Either way, with my surefire scout which is the same as a E2DL without the low setting I can see out to 50 yards but not much further at night. Of course this is with irons and its not pitch black like it would be in a STHF situation. If you are REALLY worried about this, you gotta bite the bullet and get NV.

Nv wouldn't help with zombies since most likely they will be cold blooded... Not sure if nv works on cold bodies..... School me if I'm wrong...

Lol on butthole btw. If not zombies, you will def be in a cell with a huge Michael Duncan kind of fellow, and that will really hurt!!!

TNP'R
01-21-2012, 3:41 AM
I want a rifle that can take down an elephant from 100 yards..

MrPlink
01-21-2012, 4:07 AM
Nv wouldn't help with zombies since most likely they will be cold blooded... Not sure if nv works on cold bodies..... School me if I'm wrong...

Class is in session!

Night Vision gives you vision at night! Crazy I know?
So why would it not work on Zombies?
You are thinking of thermal imaging. :oji:

dieselpower
01-21-2012, 5:21 AM
what I find funny is many people actually believe they will be pulling a trigger in a SHTF scenario, when in fact most will be hiding in the corner hoping the hordes of bad guys don't hear them..... unless you are planning on becoming one of the bad guys raping and murdering people for supplies.

Illumination works two ways in all cases. You cast a light at your intended target and that light leads directly back to you. The flick down a light filter on their glasses and now all they see is a small circle to shoot at...which is YOU. You think you are going to be the only person with Night Vision...HAHAHAHA. What,... you planning on having your SHTF in Africa? You can't throw a stick in a major city without hitting some guy who owns Night Vision equipment. Gee thanks for turning on that IR flashlight...now I can see you coming.

H2O MAN
01-21-2012, 5:29 AM
I want a rifle that can take down an elephant from 100 yards..

:eek: Zombie elephant... who knew...

http://projectumbrella.net/files/imagecache/preview/images/3294elephant.jpg

dieselpower
01-21-2012, 5:30 AM

where in the hell did you get a picture of a zombie elephant?

C4iGrant
01-21-2012, 9:20 AM
So barring expensive NV scopes, how would one go about setting up a rifle to engage targets out to 50,75, maybe even 100 meters? Consider this a light, laser, reddot question.

SHTF type stuff people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Thanks

First, lets cover some basic truths. You are most likely come into contact with a "bad guy" in your home at night. This means room clearing in low light conditions.

Gear for the above situation:

RDS: EOTech or Aimpoint are excellent choices.

Light: The SureFire X300 is an excellent choice (as you can use it on your pistol and long gun). If that is too much money, the SF G2X Tactical is a good choice.

With the above out of the way, the most IMPORTANT thing to get is proper training. There is a HUGE difference between fighting in the day VS night. There is also a HUGE difference between shooting out in the open VS clearing rooms.
If you have already completed a basic pistol and carbine class, look for a low light and civy room clearing schools (can recommend some if interested).

C4

zfields
01-21-2012, 9:25 AM

That is amazing.

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 9:30 AM
Group Buy on the tank? :43:

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Group Buy on the tank? :43:

Its not a tank, its a rail gun. I don't think I could afford a group buy. How about a time share?

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Its not a tank, its a rail gun. I don't think I could afford a group buy. How about a time share?

no, I meant in response to these posts:

from ur tank

See, problem solved... with a TANK!

but time share on the rail gun would work :D

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
no, I meant in response to these posts:

but time share on the rail gun would work :D

I think we need BOTH! :chris:

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 11:06 AM
I think we need BOTH! :chris:

:thumbsup:

EddieEd
01-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Musco lighting system ?

I was think the same thing when I first read it :rofl2:

I think the best lighting is the one the other guy is using. Just target that and you are good to go.

Whenever you go to a combat area, its lights out for a reason. The slightest light can give away you position for a long distance. Ask all those smoke-a-holics who got sniped just cause they had to have one.
Even if you are hidden the aura of any light is good for a mortar or artillery target acquisition.

Now if you’re the one trying to snipe, then its best with a NV or the poor man’s way, just wait for a light to come on.

Zombie elephant.. :shock:
If elephants can turn into zombies for one I won’t be going near any Zoos.
And two, we’re really screwed. :facepalm: That means that all other type of animals can turn to zombies. We’ll be so screw with all the Zombie Squirrels that will be running around. :eek:

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Zombie elephant.. :shock:
If elephants can turn into zombies for one I won’t be going near any Zoos.
And two, we’re really screwed. :facepalm: That means that all other type of animals can turn to zombies. We’ll be so screw with all the Zombie Squirrels that will be running around. :eek:

Uh Oh... you're onto something... Zombie Animals = Apocalypse... there are not enough weapons on the planet to defend ourselves... we would be doomed :o

BTW, for Zombie baby back ribs, do we still BBQ slow and low?...

Cokebottle
01-21-2012, 11:11 AM
The OP is referring to SHTF, zombies, WORL,TEOTWAWKI, natural disaster, major civil unrest, whatever.
Doesn't matter.
You ALWAYS identify your target.
Maybe that truck coming up the road that you just blasted is your friend bringing supplies, or a family member that found out where you were camped.

"SHTF, zombies, WORL,TEOTWAWKI, natural disaster, major civil unrest, whatever" is going to be EXACTLY the same defense situation as a normal home defense, walk in the park defense situation.
You are going to be protecting yourself, those around you, and your supplies.

Shooting ANYONE at 50-100 yards unless they are shooting first is stupid.

"SHTF, zombies, WORL,TEOTWAWKI, natural disaster, major civil unrest, whatever"? 12ga with buckshot and handguns.
The rifles are for hunting... and in SoCal, most of the large game will be hunted out within days, so you'd better have a squirrel gun available.

paul0660
01-21-2012, 11:13 AM

First, work on your reading comprehension.

The OP was very clear. References to prison time and legal stuff were pointless.

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
First, work on your reading comprehension.

The OP was very clear. References to prison time and legal stuff were pointless.

Not really cause even if SHTF like in Katrina its most likely things will return to normal and your actions may come back to haunt you.

Uh Oh... you're onto something... Zombie Animals = Apocalypse... there are not enough weapons on the planet to defend ourselves... we would be doomed :o

I'm more worried about Zombie mosquitoes. How you gonna stop those bad boys?

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Not really cause even if SHTF like in Katrina its most likely things will return to normal and your actions may come back to haunt you.

I'm more worried about Zombie mosquitoes. How you gonna stop those bad boys?

laser & NV of course :p

EddieEd
01-21-2012, 11:27 AM

:smilielol5: Not to sure about the zombie menu but I think you’ll need a LOT of sauce on that BBQ

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
laser & NV of course :p

I was thinking mosquito nets? OR...

http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/88/884c4a9f_kill-it-with-fire.jpg

paul0660
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Ah, I remember reading some of your posts in other thread now.

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Ah, I remember reading some of your posts in other thread now.

Ok... passive aggressive?

SIGSHOOTR
01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Can't believe I actually spent the time to read through this thread... :facepalm: this is what happens when it's pissing rain and I'm stuck inside.

EvolutionGSR
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Illumination parachute flares!

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Can't believe I actually spent the time to read through this thread... :facepalm: this is what happens when it's pissing rain and I'm stuck inside.

admit it - you were fascinated by the revelation that the end of world will come from Zombie animals and mosquito that are impervious to anything other than ginormous flamethrowers... were else will you ever find that kind of insight? :TFH:

RRichie09
01-21-2012, 12:23 PM
admit it - you were fascinated by the revelation that the end of world will come from Zombie animals and mosquito that are impervious to anything other than ginormous flamethrowers... were else will you ever find that kind of insight? :TFH:

Does the 2nd amendment cover flame throwers? I really hope so or were all f'ed in the A! :eek:

LBDamned
01-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Does the 2nd amendment cover flame throwers? I really hope so or were all f'ed in the A! :eek:

in a world of Zombie mosquito killing flame throwers - we have the right to everything!

Jayruta
01-21-2012, 2:28 PM
Taking care of business at night huh..... I suggest sitting down so you don't have to aim...... when the proverbial **** has hit the fan in the middle of night in the dark...

docsmileyface
01-21-2012, 3:20 PM
To the OP - seriously, night vision and lasers are awesome. It's how the US military owns the night. I've got a set of night vision and I've got IR lasers on a couple of my guns - if I could afford it and swing it with the wife, all of my weapons would have them. If there ever was a zombie, commie, alien, whatever invasion I feel confident that I can easily and accurately engage targets at night. And if none of the aforementioned situations manifest themselves, I have a good time shooting with them. It's a lot of fun using your NODs and PEQ from the hip and engaging and consistently hitting the target at 100m.