PDA

View Full Version : First AR15 build

vf116
10-16-2011, 8:45 PM
Went down to Rifle Gear today and bought a stripped JD machine lower. Thinking about DPMS lower parts, Magpul MOE stock (complete), Stag 1H(maybe 2HT) complete upper.

First build, I'll buy and build as I go.

Any input?

Most used to punch paper...

Edit: I'm going to use iron sights to break it in &
Since I'm going Stag upper should I do Stag lower?

Dark Mod
10-16-2011, 8:49 PM
2ht is an awesome upper, good setup as far as i can see.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 9:06 PM
You need a buffer tube, buffer weight, castle nut, and end plate.

Also, I would recommend a Rock River Arms LPK. I have yet to hear about anyone having any problems with a RRA lpk. DPMS can have out of spec roll pins.

d1eSELxxxx
10-16-2011, 9:20 PM
stag is g2g. It will be fun putting together your 1st trigger group and then mounting your upper for the 1st time as it was for me. Stick to your plan and run with irons for a while until you get used to it. So that way when yopu keep them on there as a back up source of aiming, you will be good with them.

p.s. guarantee this wont be your last rifle, haha. Just warning you with your 1st one.:chris:

jordan970
10-16-2011, 9:41 PM
for the lower parts just go with a stag kit. ive heard bad things about the dpms kits.

notford
10-16-2011, 10:17 PM
If you like the MOE stuff, you can get a lower build kit from Palmetto State Armory with the stock assembly, the pistol grip, and the LPK for $125. I just completed my first build with that (dissipator thread, same forum) and it went smoothly. Also, they sell MOE Uppers for good prices if you want to get everything from the same place.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I have DPMS kits in 4 of my rifles now, and have used them to build at least 3 more, and have yet to have any problems. IMHO they are GTG.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I have DPMS kits in 4 of my rifles now, and have used them to build at least 3 more, and have yet to have any problems. IMHO they are GTG.

The majority of DPMS LPK's seem to be fine, but the chances of getting one that is not fine are higher than other LPK's based on people's experiences with them. I know, I know... internet... haha. But atleast the sample size is greater than 7.

roushstage2
10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
If you like the MOE stuff, you can get a lower build kit from Palmetto State Armory with the stock assembly, the pistol grip, and the LPK for $125.
This.