PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie--where to get Prince50 mag lock kits?

mxpatriot51
02-11-2007, 3:56 PM
Hey guys, I've decided to buy an OLL. I have on of GB sale's welded up receivers; but I'd like something that will accept a detachable magazine when I have no ban configuration (no pistol grip, no forward grip, no flash hider, no bayonet lug, no collapsible stock).

So, where can I buy the fixed magazine kits? I know Prince50 makes one (the set screw one is the one I want). Who else makes these things? Are any of them DOJ approved?

Thanks

Mxpatriot

Paul
02-11-2007, 4:14 PM
There isn't such a thing as DoJ approval nor is there a method for approval. You might get a letter which isn't worth much as it's not a legal opinion.

Clink on that link on the top of this page "Ten Percent Firearms" for your options. The Prince50 kit is very well done. I could make mine own but the Prince50 kit is done so well why bother? :)

MysteryCereal
02-11-2007, 4:15 PM
+1 on Ten Percent Firearms

grywlfbg
02-11-2007, 4:15 PM
They're not DOJ-approved but tenpercentfirearms.com has both the bullet-button and set-screw mag locks.

However, I think you're confusing the now-expired Federal ban with the Cali laws.

You can have a rifle w/ all the evil features you want if you have a fixed 10-round mag (see kits above).

If you want to use detachable mags (and hi-caps if you had them before 1/1/01 - I think that's the date, maybe it's 2000) then you won't need a mag lock but you cannot have any of the following features:

pistol grip (fore or aft)
collapsible stock
flash hider

That's it. bayo lugs and such don't matter in cali.

Chris

mxpatriot51
02-11-2007, 5:33 PM
If I go the detachable magazine route, what options do I have grip wise?

I know fab10 makes a little metal grip thing and MonsterMan has his grips, are there any others?

50 Shooter
02-11-2007, 5:36 PM
You can contact Darin at dlprince1@aol.com

MonsterMan
02-11-2007, 5:42 PM
If I go the detachable magazine route, what options do I have grip wise?

I know fab10 makes a little metal grip thing and MonsterMan has his grips, are there any others?

There are only really 3 options for going with no pistol grip.

1- MonsterMan Grip. $45 New version should be for sale this week at many places.

2- U15 Stock. $205 Check with 10% or CWS.

3- SRB. Just a bracket for holding in the safety detent spring. Not a grip at all.

DO NOT BUY the Shoeless Ventures (FAB-10) Hook Grip. It is to legally gray of a grip to put on a OLL for going detachable. Stick with one of the three options above.

MM

mxpatriot51
02-11-2007, 5:45 PM
Monsterman, what's the legality of your grip? I assume it complies with the law, but has it been approved at all? Where can I buy your product? I'll say that if I choose the detachable mag/no pistol grip way I'll go with the MonsterMan grip.

I have a GB sales welded shut AR; but I'd like to have something with detachable magazines for 3 gun/rifle competitions.

MonsterMan
02-11-2007, 6:02 PM
Monsterman, what's the legality of your grip? I assume it complies with the law, but has it been approved at all? Where can I buy your product? I'll say that if I choose the detachable mag/no pistol grip way I'll go with the MonsterMan grip.

I have a GB sales welded shut AR; but I'd like to have something with detachable magazines for 3 gun/rifle competitions.

First off, my grip nor any of the other grips are not doj approved. I submitted a sample of my new grip months ago and have not heard back. I doubt I ever will. If it does not fit the definition of a pistol grip as defined by doj, than you are ok. It is up to you to read and understand the law and choose what you feel most comfortable with.

My new redesigned grip will be out this week hopefully. You can get it from the links at the top of the screen. CWS, 10% firearms, Ammo Bros, etc.

As for the GB Sales rifles that are sealed up, be careful with those. They are Assault Weapons even though they are sealed up. You can even call the DOJ and tell them the rifle you have and you will be told that it is a AW even though that the mag well is sealed up. Once a AW, always a AW even if you take away the characteristics. You can call GB Sales and tell them that you heard that your rifle is a AW and see what he says. Assuming of course that you bought a Colt or Bushmaster XM-15.

Good luck.

MM

thmpr
02-11-2007, 6:31 PM
www.lanworldinc.com

hoffmang
02-11-2007, 6:34 PM
Also, DOJ Approval isn't what its cracked up to be. There are a couple of DOJ approval letters that approve things they don't have the legislative authority to approve.

Go with the law over DOJ approval. Go detachable or fixed magazine and enjoy.

-Gene

SC_Chewy
02-11-2007, 6:35 PM
"The Gun Exchange " on Almaden in San Jose has them. (crossstreet is Foxworthy) They have a bunch of AR stuff (mags, bipods accessories)

rorschach
02-11-2007, 8:58 PM
DOJ approval is about as useless as teats on a bull.

In fact, DOJ approval might get the poor saps who bought Evans' overpriced piece of crap in a bind.