PDA

View Full Version : HSC Failure

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-16-2011, 6:01 PM
Has anyone actually failed the HSC Test? I did mine about a year ago and it was sooo easy. I didn't study or read anything. Most of the answers to the questions are common sense. I think I missed just one answer (it had to do with Person to Person Sales between family members).

People that have failed the test, how many do you have to get wrong to fail and how many wrong have you gotten?

Merc1138
10-16-2011, 6:06 PM
Oh come on, who is really going to admit to failing that :p

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-16-2011, 6:12 PM
LOL! True. I took mine at Turners in West Co. Where'd you take yours at?

awall919
10-16-2011, 6:14 PM
I would be quite surprised if anybody actually failed it. Even more surprised if the posted it on the forums.

Carsgunsandchics
10-16-2011, 6:17 PM
I watched 4 people fail before the first time I took mine, and I was put off a little. I thought it must be tough, then I took the test and realized the 4 people were idiots.

robcoe
10-16-2011, 6:20 PM
I always figured if you failed it you were given enrollment info for one of those adult remedial education centers, because there is obviously something very damaged in your head..

nick
10-16-2011, 6:22 PM
I saw a person making arrangements about retaking it at Turners a while back.

hkusp9c
10-16-2011, 6:26 PM
People who fail the HSC really should think twice about owning a firearm

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 6:30 PM

lol +1

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 6:34 PM
I would be quite surprised if anybody actually failed it. Even more surprised if the posted it on the forums.

I went with my buddy when he took his test at Turners... he passed, the dude before him missed 14/30 questions.

Pretty amazing...

Dave A
10-16-2011, 6:37 PM
LOL - I missed one question also, but I should be forgiven for thinking through the question as I did. It was the one that asks how long a felon is prohibited from owning a firearm.

I knew in the past that is was for life, but reasoned that California is so screwed up that they must have changed that to make it a lesser period, so went with the next longest time period, which as I recall was 15 years or something like that.

I analyzed it incorrectly, because this is California and they would probably make it two lifetimes if they could.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-16-2011, 6:48 PM
I just wouldnt comprehend someone failing the test. Theres not very many questions on there... I passed my DMV Written and Drivers Test on the first try too. lol

Ubermcoupe
10-16-2011, 6:55 PM
The question should really be who got a perfect. (I did not :( ) But I think I set the record for how fast someones taken it. 1:36 seconds!

But no, I have seen anyone fail.

jingerale
10-16-2011, 7:16 PM
I didn't miss any.

four of us took it, 2 got perfect, 1 missed 1, and 1 missed 2.

We gave the guy who missed 2 a hard time.

Eddie1965
10-16-2011, 7:28 PM
The last time I renewed mine the guy taking the test before me had failed it and was talking **it because I got them all right.

TheThousands
10-16-2011, 7:40 PM
I have never seen anyone fail the HSC test and when I took it I got all of them correct. C'mon simple memorization and common sense people...

Just Dave
10-16-2011, 7:41 PM
I missed 2

What is the primary safety on a handgun?

What is the legal age to own a handgun?

:facepalm:

SCZ
10-16-2011, 7:42 PM

Ya, however the fact that they failed the HSC is evidence that they don't have the capability to "think."

JaeFern
10-16-2011, 7:51 PM
I've never failed one but I watched someone fail it. The crappy part? The person who failed was the guy I was selling a gun to via PPT. Obviously I didn't make the sale that day.

Diesel-Gunner
10-16-2011, 7:59 PM
I missed 1 when I took it. I overthought the question I think. The questions are designed to make you second guess your common sense IMHO.

Toyman321
10-16-2011, 8:00 PM
The question should really be who got a perfect. (I did not :( ) But I think I set the record for how fast someones taken it. 1:36 seconds!

I got 100% the last time I took mine, I had lost the card, and assumed it had expired when I went in to do a PPT a few months back. Took it without studying. I cannot comprehend how anyone could manage to fail it, almost all of it is common sense, failing it would mean you bombed the few ones that were not a 100% common sense and then managed for go full speed dumb on the rest.

afro
10-16-2011, 8:01 PM
Never looked at the book - blazed through the test in 10 minutes and aced it. The look on the old guy's face who checked it was pretty funny. Guess he was surprised a young 20-something actually knew a little :p

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 8:11 PM
I don't think that tests proves knowing anything... its common sense, most of it anyways.

Only thing that test proves is you can read English.

Fjold
10-16-2011, 8:11 PM
I kept failing it so I got a CCW.

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 8:14 PM
What blows my mind is how simple a test for a handgun is, yet the test to get a Ham radio licence is in comparison... a lot more involved and difficult. Even the written test to drive a car is easier than the ham radio licence test.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-16-2011, 8:51 PM
Nah not particularly. My Ex-Girlfriend failed the written DMV test probably 4 times. :driving: Each time she would get like 20+ questions wrong... I'm like how...the..fuuuu.... is that possible? :facepalm: And thats why im no longer with her haha

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 8:55 PM
lol ... i told my girl if she fails the HSC im going to leave her....

We are still together

Droppin Deuces
10-16-2011, 9:17 PM
Skim the guide then use some common sense. I'll tell you what, I have a friend who is an electrical engineer and if someone were to bet me $100 that he would fail the HSC test, I wouldn't take the bet. I don't care how smart you are. Some people just don't have a lick of common sense about them.

tenpercentfirearms
10-17-2011, 7:29 AM
I have administered hundreds of HSC tests. Only one guy ever failed. I honestly don't think he could read. I am pretty sure had I read the test to him, he would have passed easily. He came back in the next day and tried doing it in Spanish this time, he passed by one.

My favorite line when talking to customers about the test, "If you don't pass this test, I am afraid I am going to have to take your car keys and ask that you not handle any pointy objects any more as well."

sargenv
10-17-2011, 7:34 AM
What I find funny about all this is that we are so cowed into it being "the law" and nowhere does it say in the constitution that we need to take a test to use something that is a right... we need not take a test to practice freedom of speech.. why is it ok that we have to take a test to practice this one?

Sorry, I know it is off topic, but this one in particular irks me to no end... it reminds me of the "race laws" of the south that you had to take a test to vote not so long ago..

sundayduffer
10-17-2011, 7:42 AM
The state is after the $25.

coyotebait
10-17-2011, 7:42 AM
Never looked at the book - blazed through the test in 10 minutes and aced it. The look on the old guy's face who checked it was pretty funny. Guess he was surprised a young 20-something actually knew a little :p

There's a book?
I bought a new handgun about a year and a half ago, before that was when all you had to show was a hunting license. So, a year and a half ago was the first time I took the test, I got 100%. I've never heard of anyone failing it but I'm sure it happens.:facepalm:

Brown Rock
10-17-2011, 7:51 AM
The question should really be who got a perfect.

Perfect score right here :)

goodlookin1
10-17-2011, 7:57 AM
Seriously, when you have questions like this:

#21: What is the safest direction possible to point a gun?

A) Towards your feet
B) Towards babies
C) Towards Law Enforcement Officers
D) Towards the safest direction possible

How can you possibly fail the test?

You pretty much have to be this lady:

http://www.rcmill.com/ryan/millionaire_fail.jpg

Merc1138
10-17-2011, 8:26 AM
Seriously, when you have questions like this:

How can you possibly fail the test?

LOL, I know a guy that I guess would have chose "A) Towards your feet", let's just say he earned himself the nickname "nine-toes" while giving someone a demonstration on how to operate the safety on a shotgun.

Uriah02
10-17-2011, 8:37 AM

+1
How long does one have to wait between failures?

MrExel17
10-17-2011, 9:05 AM

^^^I agree!

cannon
10-17-2011, 9:12 AM
I got %100 but I've been shooting for forty years and had the NRA courses years ago.

But what about someone who has never touched or really thought about guns and decides they now need one for protection? I can see those folks doing poorly on the test.

infernl
10-17-2011, 9:32 AM
I took the HSC test about three years ago, and missed zero. The last time I'd purchased a pistol before that, there was no such thing as a HSC test...

coyotebait
10-17-2011, 9:57 AM
LOL, I know a guy that I guess would have chose "A) Towards your feet", let's just say he earned himself the nickname "nine-toes" while giving someone a demonstration on how to operate the safety on a shotgun.

Was it this guy?

Oh for god sake, I suck. Can someone "reschool" me on embedding?
http://youtu.be/MeGD7r6s-zU
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MeGD7r6s-zU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loose_electron
10-17-2011, 10:03 AM
What blows my mind is how simple a test for a handgun is, yet the test to get a Ham radio licence is in comparison... a lot more involved and difficult. Even the written test to drive a car is easier than the ham radio licence test.

LOL!

You should have taken the test back when you needed 13wpm CW for General and 20wpm for Extra, that was a b*itch...

Jbone83
10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
The state is after the $25.

Exactly. When I took my mine, the guy at the gun shop just told me that the test is just one more way for the state to get another $25 out of us. I missed one and it was the question about PTP between family members. You seriously have no business owning a gun if you can't pass that test.

Merc1138
10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Was it this guy?

No, definitely not Mr. Glock fo-tay DEA guy. Although the similarities are there.

You put the as455nlokjc9 portion at the end of the youtube URL between the [youtube] tags.

stix213
10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
What I find funny about all this is that we are so cowed into it being "the law" and nowhere does it say in the constitution that we need to take a test to use something that is a right... we need not take a test to practice freedom of speech.. why is it ok that we have to take a test to practice this one?

Sorry, I know it is off topic, but this one in particular irks me to no end... it reminds me of the "race laws" of the south that you had to take a test to vote not so long ago..

If the test wasn't so freaking easy, there would be more people making a big deal about it. As it is though, I truly fear anyone handling a firearm who cannot pass this test. The 10 day wait period is a far bigger annoyance.

coyotebait
10-17-2011, 11:04 AM
YAY, I DID IT!!!! I'm a dope.

MeGD7r6s-zU

bombadillo
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Naw, I did it faster. Walked up to the counter and the guy asked what I needed. I told him "I need to take my HSC test" He asked if I'd taken it before and I said "yes here". He asked for my card and wrote me out a new one as a "renewal" I guess. Maybe 30 seconds flat and $15 bucks.

drclark
10-17-2011, 9:07 PM
I wish we had the equivalent of hsc for voter registration.

ubet
10-17-2011, 9:28 PM
I failed it twice!

I keed I keed.

Kruzr
10-17-2011, 10:42 PM
In the four or so years I gave the test, I can remember 3 people failing. Two failed because the test isn't given in Korean and the third one failed because she was just plain stupid. :)

Henry47
10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
my cousin isn't a native from this country and was able to pass his HSC with only one wrong.......without even reading the pamphlet.

i think I missed 2 total though.

peter95
10-19-2011, 6:50 AM
Those who failed should not own one =)

I took mine without prep. Went to turners with a friend and we just decided to take one. Read a booklet for 5 mins and chose the answers that made most sense.

Andy Taylor
10-19-2011, 7:02 AM
I have given quite a few HSC tests. VERY few fail. Those that do, either are illiterate, or do not know the language. That has been my observation anyway.

AAShooter
10-19-2011, 7:22 AM
I almost had an FFL holder fail . . . too cocky . . . didn't take it seriously . . . he was a little embarrassed when I graded it.

zman
10-19-2011, 8:07 AM
Naw, I did it faster. Walked up to the counter and the guy asked what I needed. I told him "I need to take my HSC test" He asked if I'd taken it before and I said "yes here". He asked for my card and wrote me out a new one as a "renewal" I guess. Maybe 30 seconds flat and $15 bucks.

There is no such thing as an HSC renewal, is there?

bombadillo
10-19-2011, 8:08 AM

Apparently there is, or its just the fact that I took the test there and they just did it as if I had taken it and passed. Either way, all it took was a few bucks and a few seconds.

zman
10-19-2011, 8:13 AM
Apparently there is, or its just the fact that I took the test there and they just did it as if I had taken it and passed. Either way, all it took was a few bucks and a few seconds.

I remembered this quote from 10% a while back....

As has been stated you can only renew by taking the test and paying another $25. Now a dealer pays $15 for the certificates and could charge less, but I wouldn't. Replacing a certificate is only $15.

BitterOldMan
10-19-2011, 8:23 AM
At Jackson Arms a few weeks ago, the test administrator told me that one guy missed 19 out of 30 questions. Yeah, he only got 11 out of 30 questions. You only need to get 23 out of 30 right to get your HSC. I got a perfect score the last time I took the test. In the olden days, you did not need to take the test, then they changed it to you take the test once and had the HSC forever, but now you have to take the test every five years.

coyotebait
10-19-2011, 8:56 AM
At Jackson Arms a few weeks ago, the test administrator told me that one guy missed 19 out of 30 questions. Yeah, he only got 11 out of 30 questions. You only need to get 23 out of 30 right to get your HSC. I got a perfect score the last time I took the test. In the olden days, you did not need to take the test, then they changed it to you take the test once and had the HSC forever, but now you have to take the test every five years.

Don't forget that when they first started administering the test, you were exempt if you had a hunting license.

ArkinDomino
10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
If you fail the hsc you don't deserve a gun.

zushikikato
10-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Just took my hsc test yesterday! Passed it with two wrong. I started laughing at how ridiculous some of the questions were.

h0use
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM
i took mine at turners san marcos, got all of them right. there was a guy in font of me that was taking it for his seconed time. so i guess there are people that fail them.
the questions are easyer than the DMV test lol

rgs1975
10-19-2011, 4:55 PM
I'm glad the test is ridiculously easy. I missed one and I know I will never do worse than that in the future. So I don't have to ever worry about the test coming up. Imagine if someone intelligent had designed the test and it was 100 questions. 100 well written, well thought out and dificult questions. That would suck actually having to prepare/study just to renew the HSC.

I laugh at the stupid test but am glad that it's stupid at the same time.

rgs1975
10-19-2011, 4:57 PM
I watched 4 people fail before the first time I took mine, and I was put off a little. I thought it must be tough, then I took the test and realized the 4 people were idiots.

:rofl:

Ricky-Ray
10-19-2011, 5:05 PM

I went to Turner's to renew my card. Showed the guy my expiring one and he just took it wrote me a new one and told me to pay the cashier $15.

Eljay
10-19-2011, 5:16 PM
I went to Turner's to renew my card. Showed the guy my expiring one and he just took it wrote me a new one and told me to pay the cashier $15.

From what people have posted in the past that's something Turner's will do but pretty much it's just them.

twoforme2
10-19-2011, 7:10 PM
LOL!

You should have taken the test back when you needed 13wpm CW for General and 20wpm for Extra, that was a b*itch...

Yeah and the place you took the test decided to do fill in the blank and not Multiple guess! HI
That was the only test I had to take twice, 20WPM seemed so damn fast back then!

... -.-

de ND6A

natrab
10-19-2011, 8:27 PM
Does the HSC expire? Last time I took it was 5 years ago and I'm getting ready to buy a new gun. Unfortunately, I have since lost the card.

I may go into Target Masters where I took it and try to have luck like Ricky-Ray. I heard most places charge $15 for a replacement card. $10 saved is a box of ammo :p

I don't mind that there is a test to weed out the extremely dumb from owning a handgun. It's a deadly weapon similar to a car and sometimes I wish the DMV had a stricter driving test.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-19-2011, 9:03 PM
Yes it does expire. It expires in 5 years.

wisefire
10-20-2011, 12:55 AM
I got all of mine right, then when I was talking to the lady grading it, she was telling me that she had a guy that had got half of them wrong. It got her mad since she had to go over all the incorrect questions with him. Anyone who fail the test should really consider is handgun right for them.

PsychGuy274
10-20-2011, 2:54 AM
When I went to buy my first handgun I told the guy that I didn't have the HSC so I'd need to take the test. He looked at me funny and in a very condescending tone said, "OK, make sure to read through the booklet very carefully and understand what it is your reading." He probably thought I was an idiot 21 yo college kid that didn't know crap about guns and just wanted my '9.' Little did he know that I was a Calguns graduate on firearms! :43:

Well I got pissed so I gave him attitude right back and said, "Only an idiot needs the booklet, you can just take it back." He rolled his eyes and walked away. Three minutes later I turned in the packet and he looked at me funny again, went to the back and then came out a couple minutes later with my HSC and didn't say a word.

Colt-45
10-20-2011, 3:00 AM
I missed 0 on the HSC test :eek:

natrab
10-20-2011, 7:52 PM
Just took it and also missed 0. It's an easy test for anyone responsible.

dotalchemy
10-20-2011, 8:03 PM
30 out of 30 in around five minutes.

Funny, as I was kinda nervous and put off taking it for so long as I would have hated to fail something that everyone said was simple. Then I realized that C&R wasn't an exemption from HSC even for C&R handguns, so I took it the day I bought my P-1 and passed.

Lowtec Rob
10-20-2011, 9:51 PM
I didn't miss any.

four of us took it, 2 got perfect, 1 missed 1, and 1 missed 2.

We gave the guy who missed 2 a hard time.

That sounds familiar, wait I was the other guy that got nothing wrong..

Seriously though, if you can't pass the HSC, you probably ate a lot of paint chips as a kid.

IntoForever
10-20-2011, 10:40 PM
A friend of mine missed the max possible and pass and he's been shooting for over 30 years. Not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer and after the last time we went to the range, I no longer go shooting with him.:banghead:

Cokebottle
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Has anyone actually failed the HSC Test? I did mine about a year ago and it was sooo easy. I didn't study or read anything. Most of the answers to the questions are common sense. I think I missed just one answer (it had to do with Person to Person Sales between family members).

People that have failed the test, how many do you have to get wrong to fail and how many wrong have you gotten?
Somebody created a poll last year and there were quite a few who responded (more than 10) that had failed MORE THAN ONCE!

gobler
10-21-2011, 7:49 AM
Took the test twice in the last 11 years. Both times scored 100% My brother in law just took it the other day to buy an S&W .40 sigma. He got two wrong with out even cracking open a study guide... One question was the "At what age can you posses a fire arm" He thought hand gun purchase and answered 21..oops

Montu
10-21-2011, 7:55 AM
I didn't get any wrong.

if you fail no retest should be allowed and you should be bared from owning any firearm...oh and you should have to redo k-12 schooling.

TheExpertish
10-21-2011, 8:06 AM
Was it this guy?

http://youtu.be/MeGD7r6s-zU

I'm guessing he got question #21 wrong at least. Turns out that guy sued everyone for "ruining" his reputation after the video went viral. Douchebaggery!

johnny_22
10-21-2011, 9:45 AM
I always studied! I tend to over study for tests.

coyotebait
10-21-2011, 3:41 PM
I'm guessing he got question #21 wrong at least. Turns out that guy sued everyone for "ruining" his reputation after the video went viral. Douchebaggery!

The new American way.:facepalm:

Ricky-Ray
10-21-2011, 3:58 PM
I'll admit I missed 2 when I took my test. The one about how long you have to wait before you can buy a gun again if you have a felony. and the other question about bullets going thru walls. First question I didn't know so I just took a random guess, second one I started over thinking it. Well... what kind of wall, what kind of bullet, etc. Finally I said I'll skip it for now and come back to it and I totally forgot to answer it. DOH!!!!!!:facepalm:

crackerman
10-21-2011, 6:02 PM
Never taken the test :P
its nice to have 2 exemptions

BruinGuy
10-22-2011, 7:53 AM
I got 100% correct, but I'll admit I read the booklet. I hadn't bought a handgun since the mid-90s under the old BFSC test, so figured I needed to brush up on the changes to the law and lingo.

Speaking of which, I was more than a little peeved to learn at the time that the Basic Firearms Safety Certificate - which states that it's good for a lifetime - was no longer accepted. Of course, the HSC "expires" so the DOJ can snatch more money out of your wallet every couple of years!

/rant

dadoody
10-22-2011, 1:02 PM
I failed 1 question on the HSC test when I 1st took it in 2004:

How many beers can you have before operating your gun?

A.) 1
B.) 2
C.) 3
D.) 4

E.) 0 was cut off and I didn't realize that. I was perplexed as I didn't see E...which could have been 5 for all I knew, so I just checked "1".

Anyways who outright fails the test either is not proficient in English or a moron. The only people I've heard about failing the test are straw buyers, usually Hispanic women, who are getting coached as they're taking the test.

TayR_1911
10-22-2011, 3:03 PM
Hahahaha ya a lot of the questions on there were a joke. I missed one. It was the one about " if you are convicted of a felony, how long until you can own a firearm again? "

I said 20 years. Guy behind the counter grades my test, comes to the one I missed and looks at me and says " well you only missed one, and you probably missed it because you aren't a felon."

I laughed and replied with I'm definitely not a felon lol

sl4ck3r
10-22-2011, 8:54 PM
Hahahaha ya a lot of the questions on there were a joke. I missed one. It was the one about " if you are convicted of a felony, how long until you can own a firearm again? "

I said 20 years. Guy behind the counter grades my test, comes to the one I missed and looks at me and says " well you only missed one, and you probably missed it because you aren't a felon."

I laughed and replied with I'm definitely not a felon lol

this is the one that I wasn't sure about. I was like it didn't seem that important to me since I don't plan on becoming a felon.

SanPedroShooter
10-23-2011, 6:11 AM
I didnt fail the test, but I failed your poll... I am hoping if someone see's a failure up there, they will be encouraged to explain why or how they actually failed. Should make for interesting reading.

Some of the questions are so stupid, they are almost confusing. I really wanted that 100%, but I missed one, I was just skimming the questions, and I didnt read one all the way through.

microwaveguy
10-23-2011, 6:52 AM
I sure wish I could find the thread I saw a couple of months ago. I think it was "range horror stories" ???

Anyway the story was something like .......

Husband & Wife goto LGS to purchase a handgun. Guy doesn't have an HSC so takes the test ...........FAILS . Studies the book and takes it AGAIN and FAILS. Wife looks at him and said how hard is this thing and proceeds to take the test. She scores 100% first try without studying , turns to him and said " your too stupid to own a gun ". Grabs him and drags him out the door. :eek:

Cokebottle
10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I didnt fail the test, but I failed your poll... I am hoping if someone see's a failure up there, they will be encouraged to explain why or how they actually failed. Should make for interesting reading.
This is the 2nd poll in 2 years and the last one had at least 10 people answer that they failed MULTIPLE times.

sawjai526
10-28-2011, 7:16 PM
Just got the hsc taken care of! 3 minutes and 100% correct. what a breeze, those that fail should not own any firearms, period!

Cokebottle
10-28-2011, 8:49 PM
those that fail should not own any firearms, period!
That is exactly how Kamala Harris wants us to feel ;)