PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Armory XO-26b

chead
10-16-2011, 4:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dk9bQ.jpg

It looks like the other thread mentioning it is gone, but I think maybe it deserves more discussion.

I handled one today, and the most interesting discovery is that it's VERY easy to shoulder it and get a reasonable sight picture. I have a hard time believing the ATF is going to stand by their decision that it's neither an AOW or SBR for very long. The lower is also not marked "pistol".

Does anyone have one of these? It seems like they took the AR pistol from silly to practical.

wtfprompt
10-16-2011, 7:07 PM
After taking a look at at the ATF letter Franklin Armory has on their website, it looks like anyone could build one of these provided that they start with an 80% lower and end up with a 'firearm' 26" or greater in length. If the ATF stands behind their decisions, we probably will be seeing a lot more of these.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Reductio
10-16-2011, 7:32 PM
AR lowers never need to be marked "pistol" just fyi.

I personally like the idea, but I don't mind the AFG on my pistol build either. I'm still waiting for absolute confirmation before I stick a regular vertical grip on my 80% though. :p

awall919
10-16-2011, 7:44 PM
That is a nice looking AR pistol. I have a Franklin Arms carbine and think they make great firearms. I'd like to own one of those as well.

chead
10-16-2011, 8:05 PM
AR lowers never need to be marked "pistol" just fyi.

I personally like the idea, but I don't mind the AFG on my pistol build either. I'm still waiting for absolute confirmation before I stick a regular vertical grip on my 80% though. :p

I know, but a lot of manufacturers do it for clarity especially in CA where you'd need a dedicated pistol lower.

AFG is awesome on pistols, deffo.

edward
10-16-2011, 9:43 PM
Just so I'm clear... does that XO-26 have a bullet button on the other side? I recall the thread from Franklin Armory where he was postulating the notion that because it is a title 1 long gun, not a rifle, not a pistol - it could be run with no bb & evil features.

Did anything come of that and are these being sold with no bb?

Turo
10-16-2011, 9:48 PM
Just so I'm clear... does that XO-26 have a bullet button on the other side? I recall the thread from Franklin Armory where he was postulating the notion that because it is a title 1 long gun, not a rifle, not a pistol - it could be run with no bb & evil features.

Did anything come of that and are these being sold with no bb?

CA law recognizes it as a pistol, Federal law does not recognize it as a pistol or AOW. Therefore, to remain legal in CA, it must have a bullet button (or other magazine locking device) as it is being sold as a pistol here.

edward
10-16-2011, 9:53 PM
Bleh! nevermind, wrong gun. I thought this was the one that had over a 16" barrel. Okay on with the thread.

seainc
10-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't have much confident in ATF Technology Branch, so get it while you can.

After taking a look at at the ATF letter Franklin Armory has on their website, it looks like anyone could build one of these provided that they start with an 80% lower and end up with a 'firearm' 26" or greater in length. If the ATF stands behind their decisions, we probably will be seeing a lot more of these.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Quiet
10-17-2011, 5:50 AM
I know, but a lot of manufacturers do it for clarity especially in CA where you'd need a dedicated pistol lower.

Why would Frankling Armory mark it as a "pistol" on the reciever, when under Federal laws it's not a pistol.

Under Federal laws...
The Franklin Armory XO-26 is a Title 1 "other".
Less than 16" rifled barrel and a greater than 26" overall length equates to a Title 1 "other" firearm.

Under CA laws...
The Franklin Armory XO-26 is a "handgun".
Firearm with a less than 16" barrel equates to a "handgun".

chead
10-17-2011, 8:42 AM
because they mark "California" on the CA models

bwiese
10-17-2011, 11:15 AM

We're dealing in theory vs. recommended practice. It may be arguable as a defense in certain situations (not here).

This is was born as/regarded as a pistol under CA law, which is relevant to SB23.

A bunch of people will get in high priced trouble if this is done.

There are better ways of determining the legality of similar stances, though it will take some time.

[qupte]Did anything come of that and are these being sold with no bb?[/QUOTE]

No, these are BB maglocked.

donking
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
isn't the "b" nomenclature for 7.62x39. Does the calibre matter for this discussion?

chead
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
isn't the "b" nomenclature for 7.62x39. Does the calibre matter for this discussion?

The non-"b" model is the shorter barreled pistol. Both the 7.62 and 5.56 are the "b".

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
10-17-2011, 9:50 PM
At the Ontario gun show, one of the exhibitors had put together their own version of the XO-26, can't remember which upper and lower they used. I was wondering who was gonna jump on the bandwagon that Franklin Armory started.

Scott Connors
10-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I see that there is a VFG on this gun. Is it illegal, under either Federal or Kali law, to install a sling on it?

MrPlink
10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I see that there is a VFG on this gun. Is it illegal, under either Federal or Kali law, to install a sling on it?

not at all on either account.

Hell, put two slings on there if you want!

MrExel17
10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Might consider it, thanks for passing it down!

gotshotgun?
10-20-2011, 8:09 AM
can you replace the VFG with a different one?

Quiet
10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
can you replace the VFG with a different one?

Yes, you can replace the VFG on the Franklin Armory XO-26 with a different type of VFG..

glenntuc
10-20-2011, 4:01 PM
check out emf.com they have a add in commerical section $739.00 and upper buy back , also chech out uppers at jsesurplus.com 223 and 9mm uppers,
i am having evil black rifles build me a pistol (223) and i got a 9mm upper also for my wife to shoot, looks fun!! will have in about 3 weeks

stix213
10-20-2011, 5:14 PM
I just decided I want one of these, but want to swap the upper for .50 Beowulf 12" barrel but keep the vertical grip. hmmmmmm

EBR Works
10-20-2011, 5:55 PM
I just decided I want one of these, but want to swap the upper for .50 Beowulf 12" barrel but keep the vertical grip. hmmmmmm

It's gonna hurt! :eek:

Ask me how I know.... :D

...and we have the XO-26b in stock at probably the lowest price around!

check out emf.com they have a add in commerical section $739.00 and upper buy back , also chech out uppers at jsesurplus.com 223 and 9mm uppers,
i am having evil black rifles build me a pistol (223) and i got a 9mm upper also for my wife to shoot, looks fun!! will have in about 3 weeks

That would be us. Thanks for the plug! Who's emf.com? :confused: