PDA

View Full Version : How easy to remove Bullet-Button?

insin
02-11-2007, 2:56 PM
I just tapped in my bullet button mag lock into my first rifle. It did not fit perfectly even at an angle but seemed if I tapped it slightly with a rubber mallet. I gave it a few slight taps and in it went. SO, my question is has anyone tried to remove the bullet button yet? It is in ther pretty snugly and seems like it would take some effort with either a pair of vice grips or a plumbers wrench to free it (you get the idea). Is this normal? I think the lower is made of aluminum and am unsure as to what, if any, damage could be done to the mag release button hole have been done by forcing the bullet-button in?

Thanks

gn3hz3ku1*
02-11-2007, 3:05 PM
i looked at mine.. i dont think it will ever come out...

Jicko
02-11-2007, 3:21 PM
*Search*

We had gone thru this before.... the EXACT question....

FinweElensar
02-11-2007, 5:52 PM
I did not file too much material off the button cage, and it's installed pretty tight in there. I will need a hammer to push off the cage from the other side...

veeklog
02-11-2007, 6:09 PM
I just tapped in my bullet button mag lock into my first rifle. It did not fit perfectly even at an angle but seemed if I tapped it slightly with a rubber mallet. I gave it a few slight taps and in it went. SO, my question is has anyone tried to remove the bullet button yet? It is in ther pretty snugly and seems like it would take some effort with either a pair of vice grips or a plumbers wrench to free it (you get the idea). Is this normal? I think the lower is made of aluminum and am unsure as to what, if any, damage could be done to the mag release button hole have been done by forcing the bullet-button in?

Thanks

I e-mailed Darin about this question, and he said in order to get out, Use the smooth end of drill bit that would fit the whole perfectly. Rock gently back and forth, and it will come out. I had the same problem like you, so I needed to get mine out.

One I got it out, I used a emery board and sanded "very little" of the edges so the device doesn't become loose. It was still hard to get it in, but with a rubber mallet, it took a few minutes.

Prince50
02-11-2007, 6:12 PM
Veeklog,

Thanks for posting. It is nice to hear from folks who have done things other than the manufacturer.

Yes the BULLET-BUTTON can be removed. Veeklog posted the directions perfectly.

Thanks,

Darin

diegojosh
02-11-2007, 7:19 PM
Mine works great but it does come out without a problem if I take out the silver nut that goes inside the black button. could this be a problem, is it possible that I filed too much?:(

hoffmang
02-11-2007, 7:37 PM
Its not really a problem as Prince-50 fixed the other issue in this version also. If yours pulls out easily while together, pull it out and try to cam it up/down or left/right and see if you can push the magazine catch out. You shouldn't be able to with the current design, but that is/was the risk of a fit that isn't tight.

-Gene

diegojosh
02-11-2007, 7:43 PM
Thanks Gene...I think it's fine, I pulled on it as hard as I could and wiggled it around and nothing happened.

insin
02-11-2007, 8:09 PM
For those that had to force it out, did it cause any damage/scratches to the lower?

Matt C
02-11-2007, 8:20 PM
I think if it did cause any scratches it would be in a place you could not normally see anyway.

pc_city
02-11-2007, 8:43 PM
Its not really a problem as Prince-50 fixed the other issue in this version also. -Gene
Then there's the magnet issue. . .

catsupsam
02-11-2007, 8:45 PM
The scratches you will see if you remove your cage are caused by hammering the cage in, not by removing it.

mow
02-11-2007, 9:48 PM
Then there's the magnet issue. . .

A magnet is a tool, is it not?

hoffmang
02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
There are lots of ways to use a tool to actuate the mag catch of a bullet button installed AR like rifle. A magnet or a jewelers screwdriver are both tools.

-Gene

pc_city
02-12-2007, 7:21 AM
A magnet is a tool, is it not?
I think so but I bet there are at least 12 reasonable people who would disagree if you had one of these in the opening of your bullet button.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D43

Prince50
02-12-2007, 8:33 AM
Yes, PC you are correct. If someone was in the mindset to leave a magnet in the opening of the BB, then it would no longer be a tool, but a part of the assembly. However, anyone foolish enough to do that could save the $25 for the BB and the few dollars for the magnet, and leave the free button in that came with the rifle kit.

What is the sense in that? Who would do it? Why would any of us law abiding folks care if they did?

Remember PC, you can do all kinds of illegal things to your AR, we are here to do legal things to ours.

Darin