PDA

View Full Version : Options for front flip sights with gas block

shark92651
02-11-2007, 1:23 PM
I have seen the Yankee Hill (around $90) and the PRI (around $165). Are there any other options - that is quite a price difference although the PRI looks very nice, the YHM seems quite functional and a better value.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-11-2007, 1:55 PM
For even more money you can get the GG&G model with a bayonet lug...

http://www.gggaz.com/uploaded_images/pg4_bottom.jpghttp://gggaz.com/uploaded_images/pg4_top.jpg

If you ask around why they cost twice as much as the YHM version, people just say, "you have to hold one to see the difference, but it's worth it". It would have to be pretty dang good for me to want to pay twice as much though.

jerryg1776
02-11-2007, 1:58 PM
I have a PRI flip up front sight.. works well. I like it.

Prc329
02-11-2007, 2:32 PM
I have the yankee hill one. It works very well as well.

pc_city
02-11-2007, 2:33 PM
There's the Magonel. It has two positions so it works on a gas block or on a full rail. I've had one on a rifle for about a year. I sighted it in but haven't had to use it since.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=19917&s=

bwiese
02-11-2007, 2:34 PM
I am leery of any front sight/gas block assys that use screws (i.e., do not use taper pins).

Taper pins exist for a reason - so screws don't work loose.

There really is no reason for a flip up front sight. If you use a 1X red dot, co-witness irons w/red dot. If you use a magnified optic (say 3X upward) you will not really see any obstruction in field of vision of optic other than a blurry area at the very bottom of the optic outside the useful field.

Just one more thing to break or fall off. A2/M4 front-sight gas blocks work just fine.

Lotsa guys put these on, too, and start having gas problems with their rifles because of alignment issues w/gas port.

Hain't broke? Don't 'fix' it.

SemiAutoSam
02-11-2007, 2:35 PM
Any idea what the distance is from the Gas tube hole to the top of the barrel ?

I'm thinking of coming out with a piston upper for use with a aftermarket FGB.

bwiese
02-11-2007, 2:40 PM
Any idea what the distance is from the Gas tube hole to the top of the barrel ?

I'm thinking of coming out with a piston upper for use with a aftermarket FGB.

Someone has the data plate for the M16 on AR15.COM. That's the real spec drawing.

SemiAutoSam
02-11-2007, 2:46 PM
Mil Spec wont work with what I want I need to use a Gas block that has a hole for the gas tube that is level with the gas tube hole in the upper.

Someone has the data plate for the M16 on AR15.COM. That's the real spec drawing.

bwiese
02-11-2007, 3:02 PM
Mil Spec wont work with what I want I need to use a Gas block that has a hole for the gas tube that is level with the gas tube hole in the upper.

Hmm, then you're gonna need a custom FS/gas block design.

Just about all of 'em I've seen are at the milspec height to allow regular gas tubes to be used.

shark92651
02-11-2007, 3:24 PM
I am leery of any front sight/gas block assys that use screws (i.e., do not use taper pins).

Taper pins exist for a reason - so screws don't work loose.

There really is no reason for a flip up front sight. If you use a 1X red dot, co-witness irons w/red dot. If you use a magnified optic (say 3X upward) you will not really see any obstruction in field of vision of optic other than a blurry area at the very bottom of the optic outside the useful field.

Just one more thing to break or fall off. A2/M4 front-sight gas blocks work just fine.

Lotsa guys put these on, too, and start having gas problems with their rifles because of alignment issues w/gas port.

Hain't broke? Don't 'fix' it.

Well that would certainly save me some money on my next upper but I figured a little red loctite around the gas hole and on the screws would make it pretty solid - I don't plan on doing any bayonetting either :) I'll keep mulling it over before I pull the trigger (no pun intended). I'm thinking about the CMMG 14.5" lightweight upper with the permenant phantom hider.

SemiAutoSam
02-11-2007, 3:27 PM
Not a problem Ill whip one out on the old CNC.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Hmm, then you're gonna need a custom FS/gas block design.

Just about all of 'em I've seen are at the milspec height to allow regular gas tubes to be used.