PDA

View Full Version : Day trip to San Diego...Became another AK pattern purchase.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Took a drive down with a friend to take her to San Diego for lunch. Wanted to check out a newer gun shop I had heard of. Was not even looking to buy a gun since I am interested in getting the Savage FCP-SR. Ended up buying a Polish underfolder...I looked at one that was already DROSd (the sales person offered that which is awesome) and it was great so I fondled it and checked it out. Fit and finish wise it was superb, no cant, smooth action and no stick, folder was smooth with no stick, and was extremely happy about how it was made...So I bought one with the hopes (I will let you all know how it goes and that it is a shooter) that it is trouble free. CA 10 day wait started yesterday. Lots of things on this gun made it a no brainer for me.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/catalog/centurypolishakms_739_detail.jpg

DAS - Direct Action Solutions in San Diego (I live in Irvine and NorCal) is a great shop and will say it is probably my favorite shop in California right now. The sales person did a fabulous job of showing me things I wanted to see such as the Draco, Tantal, Polish UF, Savage rifle, Krink kit, Romy G kit, FNP-45, FNP-45 tactical, HK (I passed on that), LCR, etc. No shop in SoCal has ever done that and there was a steady stream of customers coming in...WITHOUT ME ASKING. SELL WHAT YOU HAVE. If you know who I am, I am Sales Manager for a multi million dollar company. The guy even said if I wanted anything they could try and get it...Effort like that breeds loyalty. Compared to other shops in Irvine where you have to take a number, wait on long lines because of AR fanboys, limited selection, and a very limited stock of AK parts, this place was literally AK paradise for me. It felt like I was being taken care of. They also have a nice selection of ARs but that is not my primary weapon of choice.

Direct Action Solutions (http://directactionsolutions.net/)

Lastly they had some really nice handguns that you do not see regularly such as the CZs (very nice), HKs, Dan Wesson, FNP-45 and FNP-45 Tactical and were great as I said about explaining Single Shot Exemptions. If you are in San Diego, swing on by but most of you are in free states (yes I belong to other sites with free shooters) so you are all golden already.

Nice way to spend a day trip and this will not be the last time I go down there for a purchase. Lunch was awesome btw.

EXCELLENT JOB DAS! That FNP-45 as an SSE is something in my future.

2600fromAtari
10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
DAS has great customer service. They seem genuinely friendly, not just on the surface. Hope that lasts.

The Polish model is nice...except is needs a chrome lined barrel. Don't get why Century doesn't just install the damn thing when Green Mountain charges just a bit more for one. Longer lasting, corrosion resistance, and just plain easier to clean. I'd gladly pay the few extra bucks.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, definitely nice staff.

As for the barrel...I can deal with that since I know it is not chrome lined which just means clean and leave wet (moist LOL) when not in use.

ke6guj
10-16-2011, 1:05 PM
I looked at one that was already DROSd (the sales person offered that which is awesome) and it was great so I fondled it and checked it out.
good for you that he offered. But I would be pissed if that was my gun that he let you fingerf*** after I had paid for it.

zfields
10-16-2011, 1:15 PM
good for you that he offered. But I would be pissed if that was my gun that he let you fingerf*** after I had paid for it.

was thinking the same thing.

ke6guj
10-16-2011, 1:25 PM
was thinking the same thing.

yup. I know that the OP meant well to give DAS an atta-boy, but by posting what he did, there will probably be people that now won't go to DAS because of what he said.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 1:45 PM

HAHA. LOL:D I understand brother. I literally felt bad about but I handled it like it were my own. If anything the person who DROSd it now knows that the rifle they bought should be a shooter. I looked that thing up and down and kept in my hand for a bit.

The Tantal was a looker as well...Wow.

The members who live down there...Pssst go buy their Dracos, Tantals, and Polish UF...The ones I handled were remarkably built.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 1:47 PM
That would be a bad if you guys took it that way but I am sure their customer service makes up for it. If pulling my rifle to show someone what a well made gun looks like...Then I am very cool with it.

Dropping it or scratching it is a totally different thing.

NYY
10-16-2011, 2:15 PM
id be quite mad. di*k move hahaha

Ryan in SD
10-16-2011, 2:31 PM

What could possibly go wrong? Its a gun, not a barbie doll.

Nice UF btw, I had a chance to shoot one last week. Was fun, it had a barrel extension so I went into "blaster mode" and was shooting from the hip with the stock folded. Very fun.

ke6guj
10-16-2011, 2:50 PM

it could get dropped. It could get handling marks (not a major concern on an AK, but could be for something with a nicer finish like a revolver getting a turn ring on the cylinder, etc), etc. It's just not cool to let someone other than the buyer mess around with the firearm without the buyer's permission.

NYsteveZ
10-16-2011, 3:35 PM
I purchased a Tantal, and its in "jail" at Colbys shop. I know he had 3 come in, and he said he didnt know if he can get any more. Im okay with Colby showing my gun per say they were all sold and he had none to show a customer except mine.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 3:39 PM
it could get dropped. It could get handling marks (not a major concern on an AK, but could be for something with a nicer finish like a revolver getting a turn ring on the cylinder, etc), etc. It's just not cool to let someone other than the buyer mess around with the firearm without the buyer's permission.

I hear where you are coming from but now we go into a level of granularity that is a bit much.

- Could have dropped - Did not happen...Won't happen (at least for me). There was no bull in a china cabinet. We are talking about an adult buyer not a teen buying his first gun.
- Handling marks - No diamonds, blades, or stones are used to examine a gun.
- You said it though...AK. If you know of an AK that is mark free, contact me.
- Anyone wanting to grope the Polish I have coming to me at DAS is more than welcome. Dry fire it, check the action, hold it to your chest. I am cool with it. One it will make you realize CAI makes great rifles, two DAS is cool, three, I am all about people seeing what they won't normally see.

I get your point but I think the seller was merely showing what kind of assets the store can obtain for sale. Great move...He just earned my business and yeah, honestly, I will refer business to DAS as a result of that move. Now would he have done that move with a SS 1911? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the guy was cool with it? How many people handled that AK before the buyer did?

This is really not the place to bash this shop but more to praise it for the efforts it did to welcome and out of towner, and treat them with better service than my local shop would ever imagine. Great you might not want to shop there. I respect that but honestly, when I picked up my Colt at Turners, I saw 3 sales people handle it after we cracked it open and two people asked me to see it which I obliged. Pretty cool since most people won't see a 100yrd Roll Mark XSE.

I hope we meet at a range and you ask to see my rifles, and you get a smile that says, "yes, would you like to shoot a few rounds?"

That my friend is the kind of gun community I am used to and I foster.

I really do see your side of the story though brother and for that I respect your views as well.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 3:40 PM

Nice UF btw, I had a chance to shoot one last week. Was fun, it had a barrel extension so I went into "blaster mode" and was shooting from the hip with the stock folded. Very fun.

The barrel extension will be interesting for sure. It is removable though and would rather get one that is more ported than the one on it.

You are lucky to have that shop local...I would be in big trouble if it were anywhere near me. HAHA.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 3:44 PM
I purchased a Tantal, and its in "jail" at Colbys shop. I know he had 3 come in, and he said he didnt know if he can get any more. Im okay with Colby showing my gun per say they were all sold and he had none to show a customer except mine.

That is exactly what I am saying. It maybe quite a while before he gets any and if three people came in wanting to see the quality of the said gun than I am more than cool with a shop showing the gun. Now the person handling the gun is responsible for its care when in their hand.

There was one Tantal left I believe. It looked damn good. Extremely well made. I wish I could have bought both but there are quite a few more guns I need to buy...I hope they can locate the Yugo for me.

elSquid
10-16-2011, 3:47 PM

Pretty much my feeling. After I pay for a gun, it's my personal property. Put it in the back of the shop for the 10 day wait and leave it alone.

-- Michael

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 3:54 PM
Pretty much my feeling. After I pay for a gun, it's my personal property. Put it in the back of the shop for the 10 day wait and leave it alone.

-- Michael

The 10 day thing I guess is the difference for me. I was used to getting a gun and picking it up that day...

I think you missed the point of the thread but then again I have seen this in CGN members fore sure.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 3:59 PM
KE6GUJ...Where are you located? Want to meet me that day and you can handle the rifle first? Not saying that to be an arse but more to let others know that it is cool with me and as seen by others.

I am dead serious. Let me know...Pick up date is the 25th...I am traveling for work though so Wednesday AM will probably work out better. Anyone on this thread is more than welcome to grope the crap out of that gun at an EXCELLENT GUN SHOP. First person gets to cut the tape off the box. Apparently 2 more coming after mine are already spoken for. Coffee on me to the first person as well.

;)

elSquid
10-16-2011, 4:03 PM
The 10 day thing I guess is the difference for me. I was used to getting a gun and picking it up that day...

I think you missed the point of the thread but then again I have seen this in CGN members fore sure.

No, I understand why you started the thread.

However, for some of us, we don't want folks mucking around with our personal property. Whether it's creating a turn ring on a collectable revolver, dropping the slide on an 1911 with an empty chamber, dryfiring a 22LR handgun that shouldn't be dryfired, snapping the cylinder shut on a DA revolver or a whole bunch of other ways the clueless can screw with a gun...

It may not be a big deal for you, but for some of us, it's a red flag.

-- Michael

ke6guj
10-16-2011, 4:08 PM
- Could have dropped - Did not happen...Won't happen (at least for me). There was no bull in a china cabinet. We are talking about an adult buyer not a teen buying his first gun.but not everyone is as sure of hand as you. What would have happened if you did drop it and it was damaged. Maybe someone bumps into you causing it to be dropped without it being your fault. the point is that damage could occur and the firearm should not be placed into that position unless the buyer ok'ed it.
- Handling marks - No diamonds, blades, or stones are used to examine a gun.
-You said it though...AK. If you know of an AK that is mark free, contact me.as I said, since it was an AK, it isn't as big a deal. But if they'll do that for an AK, what else will they do that with?

- Anyone wanting to grope the Polish I have coming to me at DAS is more than welcome. Dry fire it, check the action, hold it to your chest. I am cool with it. One it will make you realize CAI makes great rifles, two DAS is cool, three, I am all about people seeing what they won't normally see.your perogative to do that with YOUR gun, but unless I specifically tell DAS that they can do it with MY gun, they shouldnt.

I get your point but I think the seller was merely showing what kind of assets the store can obtain for sale.then maybe he can possibly bring the gun out for you to LOOK at, but not fondle and check out.

Great move...He just earned my business and yeah, honestly, I will refer business to DAS as a result of that move. Now would he have done that move with a SS 1911? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the guy was cool with it? How many people handled that AK before the buyer did?
that was in my mind, if he did it with an AK would he do it with a NIB pristine 1911. Maybe the guy did give him permission to show it to others, I dunno. But it soured me on DAS, even though I would probably never even be in the area to buy from him.

It doesn't matter if 100 people played with the AK before the guy bought it. He would have seen it in the condition it was in at the moment he bought it. person numbers 101-120 that mess with it while it is in Jail might change the way it looks.

This is really not the place to bash this shop but more to praise it for the efforts it did to welcome and out of towner, and treat them with better service than my local shop would ever imagine. Great you might not want to shop there. I respect that but honestly, when I picked up my Colt at Turners, I saw 3 sales people handle it after we cracked it open and two people asked me to see it which I obliged. Pretty cool since most people won't see a 100yrd Roll Mark XSE.
and that is cool that you let people look at it while you were there because you can watch them interact with the gun and step in right away if there was an issue. What would you say if when you picked it up you saw that it was scratched by someone's ring or something, when you weren't there?

I hope we meet at a range and you ask to see my rifles, and you get a smile that says, "yes, would you like to shoot a few rounds?"

That my friend is the kind of gun community I am used to and I foster.

I really do see your side of the story though brother and for that I respect your views as well.fellow CG'ers have been at the range with me and know that I will let just about anybody shoot my stuff. But that doesn't mean that I can step away from the line and someone else can offer up my stuff to be played with.

ke6guj
10-16-2011, 4:15 PM
KE6GUJ...Where are you located? Want to meet me that day and you can handle the rifle first? Not saying that to be an arse but more to let others know that it is cool with me and as seen by others.

I am dead serious. Let me know...Pick up date is the 25th...I am traveling for work though so Wednesday AM will probably work out better. Anyone on this thread is more than welcome to grope the crap out of that gun at an EXCELLENT GUN SHOP. First person gets to cut the tape off the box. Apparently 2 more coming after mine are already spoken for. Coffee on me to the first person as well.

;)

I'm about 2 hours north of you so I will pass on the offer. I see that you are comfortable with others being allowed to handle your property without you being present. My point is tht many people aren't.

I just pointed out that DAS allowed you to fondle someone else's property during its time in jail. I don't know if DAS had that owner's permission to display it to others. My point is that it throws up a red flag when someone says that a shop did that.

However, for some of us, we don't want folks mucking around with our personal property. Whether it's creating a turn ring on a collectable revolver, dropping the slide on an 1911 with an empty chamber, dryfiring a 22LR handgun that shouldn't be dryfired, snapping the cylinder shut on a DA revolver or a whole bunch of other ways the clueless can screw with a gun...

-- Michaelthank you. you said it better than I did.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 7:04 AM

-- Michael

Ah I see where you are coming from...That is collectors talk and safe queen talk. Understood. I guess I come from the background of buy to shoot. Though I do get what you are saying for sure. If someone scratched my AK, AR, Colt, etc, would I be upset? Yes I would.

Dry firing? Really you do not? That is a debate. Collectable revolver this was not. Guns have high tolerances and are made of very hard material...Unless you PURPOSELY try and damage one, it is pretty tough. My Colt gets babied but yeah I rack it a lot, dry fire, and do what collectors won't.

So I see your side coming from a collector or a person who likes their guns in less than shot condition. I come from the position that the day I get this gun, I am going to the range that weekend (after cleaning it) and shooting ~200 rounds or more through it.

WE are on two side here and I see and as I said respect your point. I may not agree but I respect it.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 7:08 AM
I'm about 2 hours north of you so I will pass on the offer. I see that you are comfortable with others being allowed to handle your property without you being present. My point is tht many people aren't.

I just pointed out that DAS allowed you to fondle someone else's property during its time in jail. I don't know if DAS had that owner's permission to display it to others. My point is that it throws up a red flag when someone says that a shop did that.

thank you. you said it better than I did.

I feel you on that. I am always open to meeting people and talking to people about stuff that we may not agree on (I have a meeting with a large aerospace company this week and yes, we won't agree on many things). I guess there are many sides to this and do not take my response as a challenge brother. That is far from what my objective is. However, if you are ever in SLOSA and see a guy with a few AK patterns, PSL, handguns, and AR in tow walk up to me ask to shoot my guns. It would be an honor to allow you to do so and even give you some rounds to shoot.

I respect your point of view on the topic and as I said to El Squid. I may not agree with your point but I do respect your stance on it.

RazzB7
10-17-2011, 7:47 AM

How's that any different than people handling it while on display? It was handled carefully under close supervision. I'm sure if the man behind the counter thought that the OP was a douche, he wouldn't have been handling anything. People actually touch these weapons when they come out of the boxes, when they go on display, when they go in the safe. I think this is going a little overboard. "Don't touch it!" DAS is a great shop. They give great customer service.

elSquid
10-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Ah I see where you are coming from...That is collectors talk and safe queen talk.

No, it's "respecting other people's property" talk. Some folks understand that, some don't. A shop that lets folks off of the street screw around with paid-for customer guns is not acting in the best interest of the property owner.

When I buy a gun, I don't want folks to play around with it during the 10 day wait. You might not care. But in any case it is not the store employee's decision to make.

-- Michael

FourLoko
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I doubt this will hurt DAS much. I'm still trying hard to resist the trip down there.

I don't shoot my AR nearly enough but still really really want an AK variant.

notme92069
10-17-2011, 10:50 AM

I'm pretty sure this happens at a lot of shops. I've fondled other peoples weapons that were in 10 day jail.

notme92069
10-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Took a drive down with a friend to take her to San Diego for lunch. Wanted to check out a newer gun shop I had heard of. Was not even looking to buy a gun since I am interested in getting the Savage FCP-SR. Ended up buying a Polish underfolder...I looked at one that was already DROSd (the sales person offered that which is awesome) and it was great so I fondled it and checked it out. Fit and finish wise it was superb, no cant, smooth action and no stick, folder was smooth with no stick, and was extremely happy about how it was made...So I bought one with the hopes (I will let you all know how it goes and that it is a shooter) that it is trouble free. CA 10 day wait started yesterday. Lots of things on this gun made it a no brainer for me.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/catalog/centurypolishakms_739_detail.jpg

DAS - Direct Action Solutions in San Diego (I live in Irvine and NorCal) is a great shop and will say it is probably my favorite shop in California right now. The sales person did a fabulous job of showing me things I wanted to see such as the Draco, Tantal, Polish UF, Savage rifle, Krink kit, Romy G kit, FNP-45, FNP-45 tactical, HK (I passed on that), LCR, etc. No shop in SoCal has ever done that and there was a steady stream of customers coming in...WITHOUT ME ASKING. SELL WHAT YOU HAVE. If you know who I am, I am Sales Manager for a multi million dollar company. The guy even said if I wanted anything they could try and get it...Effort like that breeds loyalty. Compared to other shops in Irvine where you have to take a number, wait on long lines because of AR fanboys, limited selection, and a very limited stock of AK parts, this place was literally AK paradise for me. It felt like I was being taken care of. They also have a nice selection of ARs but that is not my primary weapon of choice.

Direct Action Solutions (http://directactionsolutions.net/)

Lastly they had some really nice handguns that you do not see regularly such as the CZs (very nice), HKs, Dan Wesson, FNP-45 and FNP-45 Tactical and were great as I said about explaining Single Shot Exemptions. If you are in San Diego, swing on by but most of you are in free states (yes I belong to other sites with free shooters) so you are all golden already.

Nice way to spend a day trip and this will not be the last time I go down there for a purchase. Lunch was awesome btw.

EXCELLENT JOB DAS! That FNP-45 as an SSE is something in my future.

I asked about underfolders on Sat morning and they told me they didn't have any. It's just as well. They probably save me $$ I placed a deposit on a Springfield Armory Range Officer SSE and I can't afford that either!

ns3v3n
10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
^---- Jealous!

notme92069
10-17-2011, 11:32 AM
^---- Jealous!

Yeah, I still can't believe I did it. That damn credit card just jumped out of my pocket!

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:23 PM
No, it's "respecting other people's property" talk. Some folks understand that, some don't. A shop that lets folks off of the street screw around with paid-for customer guns is not acting in the best interest of the property owner.

When I buy a gun, I don't want folks to play around with it during the 10 day wait. You might not care. But in any case it is not the store employee's decision to make.

-- Michael

I did care Michael and was using jargon...You know some riders I know garage queen their Ducatis....Some people safe queen their guns. I totally respect that. Not my thing but I respect that.

So my apology if I offended you. That is not the intent. As you can see I am open about accepting other points of views. Its all good and thank you for your responses.

I do hope you can make it out to DAS though...I will drive that distance for a great city and a great shop.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:25 PM
How's that any different than people handling it while on display? It was handled carefully under close supervision. I'm sure if the man behind the counter thought that the OP was a douche, he wouldn't have been handling anything. People actually touch these weapons when they come out of the boxes, when they go on display, when they go in the safe. I think this is going a little overboard. "Don't touch it!" DAS is a great shop. They give great customer service.

Man you are lucky to have them as a local shop. Like I said, some shops here have just gotten obnoxious. I spent thousands as well to get that kind of treatment.

Up in Irvine...It is sad when Turners is your favorite shop but in all honesty I have always gotten great service from them and refuse to go elsewhere unless they do not have what I want. I use them for gun purchases though.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:27 PM
I doubt this will hurt DAS much. I'm still trying hard to resist the trip down there.

I don't shoot my AR nearly enough but still really really want an AK variant.

Give them a shout...I could not believe they even had 4 AK variants on display and 2 different AK pattern kits...That is more than any shop I know of in CA...Not just different Arsenals that does not count...Different types is impressive.

Make the trip for a weekend trip with the wife or loved one.

Well worth it.

notme92069
10-17-2011, 2:30 PM
Give them a shout...I could not believe they even had 4 AK variants on display and 2 different AK pattern kits...That is more than any shop I know of in CA...Not just different Arsenals that does not count...Different types is impressive.

Make the trip for a weekend trip with the wife or loved one.

Well worth it.

They have kits? My wallet is doomed...

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:34 PM
^---- Jealous!

Bro I live in NorCal and work down here in SoCal...Take a drive down on 5 and it will take7 hours. Make a day or weekend trip of it. Or fly...Which can be ~$300 depending on your finances and enjoy a great city with an awesome Zoo. :D Then go there. Like I said, no shop has come close to what I saw...Now in NorCal...Reeds has a lot but same old commercial stuff. BAGV in Mtn View is not bad... Valkyrie did nothing to earn over $7k of business. Which went to Reeds and Turners.

The thing is I have to go drive an hour to San Diego from my office in Irvine but my schedule is tight.

If you are down here, hit me up.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:36 PM
I'm pretty sure this happens at a lot of shops. I've fondled other peoples weapons that were in 10 day jail.

Well that is what I am saying...When my Colt 1911 XSE came in to Turners so many people touched that I was happy they got to see a 100 Years of Service roll mark...Though I do respect the other posters opinions as well.

If you guys are close to DAS go ask them for my gun and check it out...You will be impressed by its quality.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:39 PM
I asked about underfolders on Sat morning and they told me they didn't have any. It's just as well. They probably save me $$ I placed a deposit on a Springfield Armory Range Officer SSE and I can't afford that either!

I was there at 10:15-10:30am I believe...Yeah if they did not have it, I would have been home free. However, they had 3 things I NEVER SEE AND WANTED...The Tantal, The UF, and the Draco...I could not walk away with anything. :D I felt bad for my friend...She ended up texting in my truck. It was a quick transaction but I looked more haha.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:40 PM
They have kits? My wallet is doomed...

The freaking guy showed me a 1978 Romy G kit...Thing looked awesome. Wood was nice, matching numbers, and was in Cosmoline. They had a Krink but Krinks are not my thing.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 2:45 PM
Another thing to note is the quality of the rifles I saw...They were beautiful and extremely well made. I was impressed. After seeing those AK patterns like I said, I could not walk out without buying something. I had NO intention of buying anything when I went there except maybe a QR detach point for my AK and even then I did not do that.

notme92069
10-17-2011, 3:44 PM
Another thing to note is the quality of the rifles I saw...They were beautiful and extremely well made. I was impressed. After seeing those AK patterns like I said, I could not walk out without buying something. I had NO intention of buying anything when I went there except maybe a QR detach point for my AK and even then I did not do that.

Yes, everything was very clean. No bent receivers. All nice rivets. nice tight mag wells (except the WASR)

NYsteveZ
10-17-2011, 5:30 PM
Anyone who ever went to DAS knows how well things are run there. I have been shown MANY guns, and I can promise-They wont let you play G.I. Joe in the shop with it. I AM a collector, have bought numerous guns from them, and will continue to do so. I also have an SVT 40 in "jail" there right now, and completely trust them. I wont go anywhere else BECAUSE of the way they run things, whether its a PTP, out of state, or regular purchase. I started a thread a while back, and...You can see others comments.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=470286
Now-On the kits, they have that Romy G, two krinks, and a parts box that I barely looked through that had MAC 90 parts. The place is a treasure chest for AK stuff, plus they have AR and a bunch of really exotic guns.

ZX-10R
10-17-2011, 5:37 PM
Anyone who ever went to DAS knows how well things are run there. I have been shown MANY guns, and I can promise-They wont let you play G.I. Joe in the shop with it. I AM a collector, have bought numerous guns from them, and will continue to do so. I also have an SVT 40 in "jail" there right now, and completely trust them. I wont go anywhere else BECAUSE of the way they run things, whether its a PTP, out of state, or regular purchase. I started a thread a while back, and...You can see others comments.
Now-On the kits, they have that Romy G, two krinks, and a parts box that I barely looked through that had MAC 90 parts. The place is a treasure chest for AK stuff, plus they have AR and a bunch of really exotic guns.

Like I said...It is worth my gas to go there because of the way they treated a stranger...Also, San Diego is too nice not to visit. :D

notme92069
10-18-2011, 8:16 AM

How much was the SVT-40?

NYsteveZ
10-18-2011, 8:53 AM
How much was the SVT-40?

I got the SVT 40 off of gunbroker. I paid $900, and after seeing it, I would have paid even more-its that clean. I hear in Canada they go for about $300! I WISH I could go there and buy a crate, but after import fees and hassle, they wouldnt be worth it.

notme92069
10-18-2011, 9:03 AM
I got the SVT 40 off of gunbroker. I paid $900, and after seeing it, I would have paid even more-its that clean. I hear in Canada they go for about $300! I WISH I could go there and buy a crate, but after import fees and hassle, they wouldnt be worth it.

I'm jealous! Yeah, $300 would be nice

ZX-10R
10-18-2011, 1:38 PM
CA is overpriced due to laws. Anywhere else, you are getting guns cheap.

ham
10-18-2011, 1:57 PM
Been meaning to take a trip north to DAS.:D

what was the OTD price on the Underfolder?

ZX-10R
10-18-2011, 2:18 PM
Been meaning to take a trip north to DAS.:D

what was the OTD price on the Underfolder?

More than you can get online but cheaper than local I bet.
It is one their site. I did not care because I rarely see them in CA so I got one. Price was not an issue for me. It was availability. PM I have my receipt.

FashionBiff
10-18-2011, 3:36 PM
Its always good to here that a shop is cool, I kind of got lost in the you touched my gun thats not really your gun arguement until DOJ says its yours. What ever, its not a museum piece.
What I really wanted to know is where the hell did you guys eat?

ZX-10R
10-19-2011, 6:57 AM
Its always good to here that a shop is cool, I kind of got lost in the you touched my gun thats not really your gun arguement until DOJ says its yours. What ever, its not a museum piece.
What I really wanted to know is where the hell did you guys eat?

It is nice...I will never go to another shop in Irvine again except Turners. Yeah the who touched my gun thing was granular and the point lost but the thread was about a cool shop earning my business and literally taking it away from Irvine.

Oh my friend and ate at Jeong Won Korean...It had a good rating at Yelp...Freaking food was awesome and it was packed. She never had Korean BBQ so she liked it a lot.

I would recommend that place. I travel a lot for work so time traveling is nothing to me but a time to think and enjoy life as I got dealt with which is awesome.

MrExel17
10-19-2011, 8:38 AM
Man, that looks Sweeeeet! Congrats!

ZX-10R
10-30-2011, 3:55 PM
Just picked it up yesterday. The Polish UF is literally brand new with no CANTS or visual problems at all. I pity the Saiga conversion guys from this point. I will bet out of the box this outshoots some builds on here. I did not get to shoot it but it should be mid November when I do, due to my schedule. I will post and if anyone is near SLosa that day the can see an out of the box ak pattern shoot with just lube added.

By the way...while I was there, I purchased a Draco and got my buddy to get one as well. I got to hand select based on build, serial #, and wood. The rest available were really nice but it came down to serial and wood which illustrates how nice all the Dracos were.

JSW79
11-03-2011, 8:32 PM
Took a trip there last weekend to see if they had any polish under folders in stock, unfortunately not so I purchased a polish tantal instead. If you make the trip make sure you stop by the Mexican restaurant across the street, awesome place!

NorCalK9.com
11-03-2011, 9:00 PM

I don't understand this at all! Its a rifle not your baby. If you saw how I treat my ak's you'd know I have no problem with someone stroking them.
Op that is one nice rifle there, I may have to find a parts kit and build one.
Btw I just built a bulgarian AK74 with a polish under folder trunion n stock, if you find a ak74 underfolder in that shop let me know lol. Have fun with your new rifle.
The rest of you should stop hating, business is hard these days quit hating on the small business owner that might have needed that sell to keep his doors open.

NorCalK9.com
11-03-2011, 9:10 PM
Just picked it up yesterday. The Polish UF is literally brand new with no CANTS or visual problems at all. I pity the Saiga conversion guys from this point. I will bet out of the box this outshoots some builds on here. I did not get to shoot it but it should be mid November when I do, due to my schedule. I will post and if anyone is near SLosa that day the can see an out of the box ak pattern shoot with just lube added.

By the way...while I was there, I purchased a Draco and got my buddy to get one as well. I got to hand select based on build, serial #, and wood. The rest available were really nice but it came down to serial and wood which illustrates how nice all the Dracos were.

You use lube on your ak's lol jk royal purple motor oil works great my wasr 10k+ rounds hasnt been cleaned in over 4k+ rounds I just pour the oil all in her n she gets nice n wet n when you tickle her just rite she spews lead. Wait am I talking about my gf or my ak?

S470FM
11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
The guys at DAS (Colby, Shawn and Nick) go above and beyond for their customers. I live in South San Diego and frequently make the drive to Solana Beach just for DAS. I will echo what others have already said, Colby at DAS is genuine and will go to lengths to get hard-to-get items. I've read more than one post on here about people seeing the Krink kits--if you see a bag with a Krink kit and an NDS 2SF receiver wrapped in styrofoam, it's mine (feel free to PM me if you have specific Qs about it).

DAS is the ONLY gun shop worth going to in the San Diego area. Highly recommended for any gun enthusiast, but especially for AK fans.

1forall
11-04-2011, 1:11 PM
Damn...that's nice, congrats on the purchase. I've been looking at the kits but I would prefer to purchase complete. I am in the middle of another build project but I may have to squeeze this in. Thanks for sharing.

About letting customers fondle others rifles...Stop Crying!!! Whether you like it or not, someone other than you may/maynot handle your firearm at a shop without your knowledge. It's your job to look it over well when you pick it up and if you see something odd, don't accept it, plain and simple. It's actually not yours until after the dros is complete and/or after the 10 day period when you sign stating that you are taking possession of it. If it's in the same condition as when I purchased it and not damaged I could care less...but that's just my opinion.

Mamluke
11-04-2011, 1:29 PM
Congrats!!! ... :popcorn: ...

I LOVE my Polish Underfolder & my videos speak volumes of just that!

So far I've put nearly 2000 rounds thru it, not a single FTF/FTE issues whatsoever.

The only silly thing I've had is the safety selector lever bumping up while firing, I've done some bending of the lever & it seems to be ok for now...

Eventually though, I'd like to make a notch in the receiver to hold that lever in place!

Do show & tell when you take that baby out for a drill... :D

elSquid
11-04-2011, 2:08 PM
About letting customers fondle others rifles...Stop Crying!!! Whether you like it or not, someone other than you may/maynot handle your firearm at a shop without your knowledge. It's your job to look it over well when you pick it up and if you see something odd, don't accept it plan and simple.

So when you go to pick up the $2000+ blued collectors Colt Python that you bought from another guy via PPT, and said gun now has a turn ring and various scratches on it from some idiot wearing rings...what does it mean to not accept it? Does the original owner have to come back and refund your money?

If you buy a gun off gunbroker, and your 3 day inspection period elapses during your ten day wait, and your S&W 617 now has a bunch of divots in the cylinder due to some idiot dryfiring it in the store, who gets stuck with the gun?

What if you buy a Les Baer from proload, go to pick it up and some nimrod is repeatedly dropping the slide on an empty chamber...

...or better yet, what if you walk into the store, and one of the store employees has your Desert Eagle in pieces because he's mucking around with it trying to make other parts fit? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=148701)

Either the store respects your private property, or they don't. : shrug :

-- Michael

Mamluke
11-04-2011, 2:34 PM
So when you go to pick up the $2000+ blued collectors Colt Python that you bought from another guy via PPT, and said gun now has a turn ring and various scratches on it from some idiot wearing rings...what does it mean to not accept it? Does the original owner have to come back and refund your money?

If you buy a gun off gunbroker, and your 3 day inspection period elapses during your ten day wait, and your S&W 617 now has a bunch of divots in the cylinder due to some idiot dryfiring it in the store, who gets stuck with the gun?

What if you buy a Les Baer from proload, go to pick it up and some nimrod is repeatedly dropping the slide on an empty chamber...

...or better yet, what if you walk into the store, and one of the store employees has your Desert Eagle in pieces because he's mucking around with it trying to make other parts fit? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=148701)

-- Michael

I tend to agree, once you've paid for the gun, its your legal private property, despite the fact that it has to wait in jail for 10 days!

I don't mind if the store owner shows you the gun (just to look at but not actually handle the gun or attempt to retract the bolt & dry fire)...

Otherwise, I feel its disrespectful, not withstanding the desire of the salesperson to make another sale, which has succeeded in this situation. All in good intention though!

But very good point!

NorCalK9.com
11-04-2011, 3:27 PM
Unlike your example this was not a ppt it was a rifle that the store sells and it was his only piece to show to make money. I can usually tell when someone is guaranteed a paycheck every 2 weeks compared to someone who has to bust their rump to keep their business going.

-- Michael

elSquid
11-04-2011, 4:09 PM
Unlike your example this was not a ppt it was a rifle that the store sells and it was his only piece to show to make money.

No doubt that it was to the store's benefit to show the rifle to the prospective customer, but again, at _best_ it was a neutral action for the actual owner of the gun. You think that it's fine for a store to use customer guns for demos, and I disagree. I'd prefer to frequent a store that is respectful of existing customers over one that is ambivalent once it has my money...

-- Michael

Grnjeep1
11-04-2011, 4:51 PM
Seems like they don't respect personal property. Great that they have a selection, but you can order just about anything anyways and have it transferred to a shop that does. The fact that nothing happened isn' t the point, it's the principle of the matter. I won't spend any money with them. Just my opinion.

corporateslave
11-04-2011, 5:14 PM
After visiting there a few times I decided to make a purchase and currently have a gun there in the 10 day wait period.

I have handled a ton of weapons there but never one that was already sold to someone else. A few times Colby has went into the back and come out with some pretty nice stuff, but not until after I had already handled a few weapons and proved myself to not be an idiot.

I get the feeling that showing customers a gun that is already sold is not common practice. Even knowing that they have done that I still feel 100% confident with my purchase.

They have the best customer service out of any gunshop I have ever been to. That is not to say I wouldn't be a little irked if I had found out they were showing my gun to people, but I guess I trust them.

1forall
11-04-2011, 5:47 PM
I guess it boils down to personal preference because I personally don't mind. If I'm doing business with a shop it means that I trust them enough to protect my property from damage. If they decide to show a potential customer my firearm I trust that they'll take all precautions to prevent damage. Like I said, if there is a problem when I check it out for pick-up I'll address it. IMO it doesn't matter if it's a Delton or Noveske, Rock Island or Les Baer. I had RifleGear build me a custom upper receiver to my specs (w/recommendations from 3-4 RG workers), if they pulled it out to show their abilities/craftsmanship that's cool with me. The upper turned out excellent so I passed it around the shop like candy when I picked it up anyways. :D. But to each his own.

ZX-10R
11-05-2011, 6:56 AM
You use lube on your ak's lol jk royal purple motor oil works great my wasr 10k+ rounds hasnt been cleaned in over 4k+ rounds I just pour the oil all in her n she gets nice n wet n when you tickle her just rite she spews lead. Wait am I talking about my gf or my ak?

HAHA.

To be honest bro all I use is CLP. I go a few hundred rounds between cleanings. AKs are not ARs so I clean when it really looks dry...That is when I know it is time to clean :43: That takes a few hundred rounds that is for sure.

ZX-10R
11-05-2011, 6:57 AM
I don't understand this at all! Its a rifle not your baby. If you saw how I treat my ak's you'd know I have no problem with someone stroking them.
Op that is one nice rifle there, I may have to find a parts kit and build one.
Btw I just built a bulgarian AK74 with a polish under folder trunion n stock, if you find a ak74 underfolder in that shop let me know lol. Have fun with your new rifle.
The rest of you should stop hating, business is hard these days quit hating on the small business owner that might have needed that sell to keep his doors open.

I agree. While I was at DAS picking my Polish I let someone handle it. Also let someone handle the Draco I picked. If I see them as newbs it would have not gone in their hands at all.

ZX-10R
11-05-2011, 6:58 AM
After visiting there a few times I decided to make a purchase and currently have a gun there in the 10 day wait period.

I have handled a ton of weapons there but never one that was already sold to someone else. A few times Colby has went into the back and come out with some pretty nice stuff, but not until after I had already handled a few weapons and proved myself to not be an idiot.

I get the feeling that showing customers a gun that is already sold is not common practice. Even knowing that they have done that I still feel 100% confident with my purchase.

They have the best customer service out of any gunshop I have ever been to. That is not to say I wouldn't be a little irked if I had found out they were showing my gun to people, but I guess I trust them.

This is the best response. I agree. I trust them with my stuff. Plus I know how the gun I got looked before.

ZX-10R
11-05-2011, 7:02 AM
I guess it boils down to personal preference because I personally don't mind. If I'm doing business with a shop it means that I trust them enough to protect my property from damage. If they decide to show a potential customer my firearm I trust that they'll take all precautions to prevent damage. Like I said, if there is a problem when I check it out for pick-up I'll address it. IMO it doesn't matter if it's a Delton or Noveske, Rock Island or Les Baer. I had RifleGear build me a custom upper receiver to my specs (w/recommendations from 3-4 RG workers), if they pulled it out to show their abilities/craftsmanship that's cool with me. The upper turned out excellent so I passed it around the shop like candy when I picked it up anyways. :D. But to each his own.

LOL that is what I did with my Polish. By the way I got to handle all 5 Dracos in the shop that were sealed since the owner opened them up for me to hand pick from them...I picked one for me and one for my friend who got one as well. Now if it is some idiot, loud mouth, fool, yeah I could see a shop not doing this however, I drop cash and I don't look cheap.

ZX-10R
11-05-2011, 7:05 AM
By the way I was looking to swap the grip with a bakelite and they had one...Free if I swapped grip but I paid $10 for the bakelite...How cool is that?!??!?!? I am going to redo the wood this coming weekend. This gun looks killer...My friend is an AR guy and even he was impresed.

pacifico23
11-05-2011, 7:08 AM
Unlike your example this was not a ppt it was a rifle that the store sells and it was his only piece to show to make money. I can usually tell when someone is guaranteed a paycheck every 2 weeks compared to someone who has to bust their rump to keep their business going.

Couldn't be more true. Always can tell the people that get a garanteed two week check compared to the people whose wages are based on what they earn.

ZX-10R
11-05-2011, 7:08 AM
Next time I am there I am getting the Tantal I think...

justinlemieux
11-05-2011, 7:31 AM
I could care less if my dealer let people fondle my drosed weapons if it helps him make a sale. It goes without saying that Id expect him to use fair judgement about it. and what do they charge for drcaos at DAS anyways.

Mr. Casull
11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I went to their shop on Thursday for the first time. It was much smaller than what I had imagined and not too many guns on display. The sales people were friendly and helpful. However not more so than OC Armory or Riflegear. However, I did hear them tell another customer that the guys that do the Firearms Trust for $200.00 were not good and that you had to spend $600.00! I think they had a lawyer in their back pocket that they were trying to push customers his way. I had a trust for $200.00 and it is as good as a $600.00 or $10,000,00. one!!

ke6guj
11-05-2011, 2:48 PM
for what reason do they deal with Firearms Trusts? Are they an SOT dealing with NFA stuff to the public? ARe they talking about generic firearms trusts or NFA-specific firearms trusts.

Realize that even $35 Quicken trust will work initially, but that the NFA-specific language helps your successor trustee with additional safeguards related to NFA firearms, versus a Quickent trust that doesn't explain that you can't just hand over the AOWs to the beneficiary who is now a tweaker, but wasn't when the trust was drawn up.