PDA

View Full Version : Some of the "Tactical Rifle" Rigs people have set up here, ARE Bench Rest guns.

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:20 AM
The look like something A military would use, they look Tacticool.

They may even have the right scope, barrel, and accoutraments. But They're soooooo heavy that no one in their right mind would really take them in the field.

The Currently used M40 is already 14-16 lbs.

You can use this to shoot and scoot.

But some of You'all have 25 lb rigs, that look like they're mil issue, but cannot in any way be toted around.

They're just way too heavy. So they're bench rest guns.

THAT'S THE REALITY OF SOME OF YOU GUY'S "TACTICAL RIFLES". They're benchrest rifles under the moniker of being cool.

Just say'n and dream on.

In reality, you need to tote your rifle around. But it's nearly impossible with a 5 lb barrel, and 20 lb rifle, minus optics and accessories.

Cool looking, but not realistic. People are looking for Benchrest outcome, on a tactical rifle that needs to be toted, not gonna happen.

I've had a Surgeon Rifle made, TWICE. Was heavy, but workable with Nightforce optics.

Anything more is just dreaming that you have a "military like", accurately firing, "sniper rifle", that really a bench gun.

Ed_Hazard
10-16-2011, 2:51 AM

They may even have the right scope, barrel, and accoutraments. But They're soooooo heavy that no one in their right mind would really take them in the field.

But some of You'all have 25 lb rigs, that look like they're mil issue, but cannot in any way be toted around.

THAT'S THE REALITY OF SOME OF YOU GUY'S "TACTICAL RIFLES". They're benchrest rifles under the moniker of being cool.

Just say'n and dream on.

In reality, you need to tote your rifle around. But it's nearly impossible with a 5 lb barrel, and 20 lb rifle, minus optics and accessories.

Cool looking, but not realistic. People are looking for Benchrest outcome, on a tactical rifle that needs to be toted, not gonna happen.

I've had a Surgeon Rifle made, TWICE. Was heavy, but workable with Nightforce optics.

Anything more is just dreaming that you have a "military like", accurately firing, "sniper rifle", that really a bench gun.

Wow, who peed in your grapenuts? :rolleyes:

I kid, but only because i care.:D

I dont even like "toteing" my uberninjafied AR's up to the fireing line sometimes, but thats the price one pays to keep up with the Jonses.

MrPlink
10-16-2011, 2:53 AM
I remember the first time I saw a mall ninja..

tomd1584
10-16-2011, 6:07 AM
:useless:

:troll:

ERdept
10-16-2011, 6:17 AM

Right.

People with your Heavy, bench rifles, please post, so that others here can know NOT what to make.

KaLiFORNIA
10-16-2011, 6:45 AM
You should come up with a list of items you'll approve of. Wouldn't want to spend money on anything you don't approve...

Tzvia
10-16-2011, 6:45 AM
I think I"ll post what I think he means...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/Tzvia2/varminter.jpg
Heavy bench toy.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/Tzvia2/18-1-1.jpg
Tacticool heavy.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/Tzvia2/done.jpg
Much more practical to carry/bug out with but not tacticool.

There you go- photos.

SxB
10-16-2011, 6:50 AM
Who cares??? People own guns for different reasons. Not all of them are trying to live up to your perception of "practical for for carry/bugout" or tacticool.

Take a chill pill guy.

gmcal
10-16-2011, 6:56 AM
You should learn to let others do as they wish. You'll be happier and less stressed.

For the record, I do not own any heavy tactical rifles.

emtnsocali
10-16-2011, 7:06 AM

Just say'n and dream on.

do you feel better now that you got that outta your system?????

BigBamBoo
10-16-2011, 7:09 AM
Let me see....as far as I know a Barrett 50 with ONE loaded mag and a scope was around 35 lbs. And I believe there are many fine folks severing this country who not only lug around the .50....but added to that they are carrying extra ammo,water,and probably a long range pack. So around 100+ lbs of weight. And they do this daily. So what I am really hearing is that you should start working out???

Everything is subjective. What one person thinks is too heavy to hump around another would consider light as a feather. Just like recoil...I find it really funny when I see people posting about the recoil of a .223 being to much!?!? But again...it is all subjective to personal perspective.

rero360
10-16-2011, 7:11 AM
OP: Who cares, I certainly don't, to each their own. My personal Precision rig weighs in at around 17 pound, but its certainly not tactical, its got a Stainless barrel :p

Go look up the weight for an Accuracy International in .338 LM and while you're at it take a look at the weight for a M240B.

Soldiers are out there humping those two big heavy basterds all the time. I've spent my fair share of time lugging a 240.

rscot
10-16-2011, 7:17 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn168/scotdodrill/IMG_0589.jpg

I think he's getting the response he was looking for :confused:

Peachdog
10-16-2011, 7:22 AM
Wait... so a scope, bipod, and free float barrel is mall ninja? Oh god I better get rid of my forward grip before people laugh at me!

I assumed people with stuff on their rifle they'll never use is mall ninja. Such as IR lasers, regular lasers, flashlights, both scope, red dot sights, and irons.

louscamaro91
10-16-2011, 7:24 AM
Well that's everything I own:(
I don't buy or build my guns around the premise that I'm going to EVER field them...
I buy or build them based on what is going to make them comfortable on the bench or laying the dirt(they NEED to look cool);)

Everything pictured is heavier than a beast.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l567/ldawg1785/2231cf10.jpg

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-16-2011, 7:32 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/GimpyVision/Guns%20and%20knives/Picture108-1.jpg

sorry..but who here has a tactical rifle that is 25lbs, not counting the people with barrets(or other gigantic rifles like it..)? My remington loaded is right about 13lbs and my ar is like 10. so not really who here has a 25lb AR, Remington, Savage, or any other bolt rifle.

0331Marine
10-16-2011, 7:37 AM
You know, this goes back to the same thing I say on the Corvette forum I am on. You might not like waht someone does, but its their money and their gun. I'm sure if you want to buy the parts you think should be on their guns they wouldnt have a problem with that.

I'm going to go weigh mine. I really dont think its even close to 25lbs. My MK11 I had in Ramadi Iraq back in 06 didnt even weigh that much. I dont think I have every seen a 25lbs AR-15......

EDIT: 8lbs on the dot the way it sits in the picture.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz262/01Corvette01/IMAG0478.jpg

Nismo
10-16-2011, 7:41 AM
That's what happens when Air soft was introduced.

Cant even search for "real" guns anymore without 90% of the results being airsoft examples. :(

mlevans66
10-16-2011, 7:42 AM
So I just that dang near 10 pound M-16 I carried with ACOG, 30rnd mag, IR laser, grippod and sling was just taticool? I would have never guessed as much. To each his own I believe. That is till it pee's in my cheerios. :D

NHP1127
10-16-2011, 7:53 AM
Dude, stay off the keyboard after hitting the scotch....

dascoyne
10-16-2011, 7:56 AM
Does this issue really deserve it's own thread? It's an old and tired subject.
While we're at it maybe we should bash those folks who have Mega ZEDU and Spike's Zombie lowers... what are the odds we're going to face a zombie outbreak anyways?

It's their rifle. Let 'em do whatever the heck they want. This is America after all.

Crunch130
10-16-2011, 7:57 AM
One old guy at the range was shooting his .308 bolt Rem 700. Heavy barrel, heavy laminated stock with wide forend, big scope, bipod. We were at the 100-yard line.

I was shooting my Israeli-reworked K98, as-issued open sights and all, from offhand, sitting, and prone. Shoots 1.5 to 2 inch groups off a sandbag with decent ammo. He asked what I was shooting. "An old Mauser" I replied. He says "Oh, one of those SKINNY-barreled rifles." The peeing in the Wheaties certainly can go both ways!

I thought to myself "Yeah, at least I can pick this one up and shoot it."

Crunch

Pthfndr
10-16-2011, 8:00 AM
useless rant about something of which I have no actual knowledge

Why do you even care what other people do with their rifles?

FourLoko
10-16-2011, 8:14 AM
Dude, stay off the keyboard after hitting the scotch....

lol

I was drinking into the morn as well. Managed to refrain from making a silly thread like this.

Hoop
10-16-2011, 8:15 AM
folks severing this country who not only lug around the .50....

They don't take 50cal barrets on patrol lol. Something like that is going to be carried out to a specific place by at least 2 people and set up static.

The worst things they have to lug around are probably the light machine guns + ammunition.

As far as the weight of a person's rifle that's subjective...I have a 16" 308 with a big fat scope that weighs just under 12 with bipod and I think it's a bit too much until I see these guys with 16+ rigs.

m03
10-16-2011, 8:18 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/S_5H91qKeCI/AAAAAAABSjU/fefxqKFb7qo/s1600/Haters_Gonna_Hate_05.jpg

Personally, I dislike rifles that are covered in rails, but to each their own.

m03
10-16-2011, 8:25 AM
Also, I don't see much evidence of a civil war, mass looting/societal breakdown, or an overthrow of the government going on right now, so virtually every rifle posted on this forum is a "bench rest gun", regardless of configuration.

Don29palms
10-16-2011, 8:31 AM
Mine's heavy but I don't have to get close to my target either.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/don29palms/July41.jpg

dieselpower
10-16-2011, 8:31 AM
I didn't bother reading the whole thread.

I disagree with the OP. A rifle weighs what a rifle weighs. If you need to run a Triathlon with your rifle, drop some gear at the starting line. A M82A1 weighs a ton... are you suggesting that makes it ineffective in its role?

Fully dressed my Dissipator weighs over 10lbs...And if its fully dressed I need all that weight to do what I plan to do. Taking off that weight stops me from doing what I plan as effectively as I want.

Please "guess" the weight of these firearms, then send an e-mail to the users explaining your opinion that they carry heavy rifles...:facepalm:

eL6Sy_C-5mM&feature=related

5esr2vix6QI

4_H3xp_C0MI&feature=related

gose
10-16-2011, 8:34 AM
Just say'n and dream on.

So?

Its not like the rifles will ever actually see any use outside of the shooting range anyway, so let people pretend without hating on them :P

starsnuffer
10-16-2011, 8:48 AM
If you can't move and carry a 20 lb rifle, you're out of shape, period. Go outside and run.

That said, shooting is a hobby first, (insert cheesy acronym like SHTF or EOTWAWKI here) preperation ranks about 28th on the "reasons to own a gun" list. If people like their gun and like shooting it the way that they shoot it, WTF is wrong with that?

-W

0331Marine
10-16-2011, 9:20 AM
They don't take 50cal barrets on patrol lol. Something like that is going to be carried out to a specific place by at least 2 people and set up static.

The worst things they have to lug around are probably the light machine guns + ammunition.

Sorry, cant help myself. Nothing pointed at you.

The SASR is carried by one guy. You never want to split a gun up and something happen to one of the guys and then your stuck.

Largest "gun" you will see being carried on a patrol is the M240B (med machine gun) which weighs 24.2-26.8lbs depending on what book you look in. The Gunner will normally have an assault belt of 75-100 rounds in the gun and the other 2 members of the team have ammo also.

This comes to mind......youtube "Most Tactical AR15... EVER! "

evidens83
10-16-2011, 9:32 AM
Am I the only one who found it difficult to read OP's post? lol....

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 9:39 AM
OP is wrong, and possibly an idiot. People build what they want... how they want and for whatever reason they want. Not all of us on this forum believe that the world is going to suddenly end some day and we are going to need to carry our precision rifles around daily in order to survive. not all of us here believe that if something terrible ever happened in our community that the president would call our phone and ask for our help suppressing an active shooter at the mall.

in fact many of the guys here with the rifles OP is complaining about just shoot at the range... they aren't trying to make their rifles look like military rifles so you think they are badass, or think they are in the military or think they must be so hardcore tactical. NOPE Some just put some rails and cool optics/sights on because that's what they want to do, either by looks or they want something durable and made with quality.

Personally.... I train with my weapons and have quite a different method than my friends who mainly shoot at ranges on benches so my gear is quite different than theirs. But it's fun to shoot with them, shoot their guns and let them shoot mine.

SureShot241
10-16-2011, 9:42 AM
I just got done lightening my build. Started off with a heavy quad rail with a big grip, a beastly heavy removable front sight on my railed gas block, and metal mags. Weight on the front was insane. Just took off the front sight, replaced the rail with a Magpul MOE hand guard, and am about to put a Magpul grip on it. Just doing that has saved a lot of weight. The rifle is a pencil barrel DPMS Sportical upper with a M&P-15 lower with a Hogue grip, MOE stock, MOE Handguard and Pmags. Light and reliable.

Droppin Deuces
10-16-2011, 9:47 AM
OP, do you stress out like that everytime you see a gun you don't like at the range? You're going to give yourself a heart attack worrying about stuff that shouldn't matter to you. If it makes you feel any better, I have a relatively lightweight bench gun that I never intend to run around with.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/IMG_2925.jpg

Oh, but I think I'll change it since you don't like it. K?

:rolleyes::facepalm:

FMJBT
10-16-2011, 9:50 AM
We should devise a test to determine Bench vs Tactical.

I propose that a non-bench rifle should be able to put 5 rounds into a 6" circle at 100 yards from a standing or possibly kneeling position. Pretty simple test, but it should weed out the excessively heavy and oddly balanced rifles pretty quickly.

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 9:57 AM

I propose that a non-bench rifle should be able to put 5 rounds into a 6" circle at 100 yards from a standing or possibly kneeling position. Pretty simple test, but it should weed out the excessively heavy and oddly balanced rifles pretty quickly.

I propose that no one cares

"tactical" has completely lost it's meaning in the past 5 years or so.... and really doesn't even matter in reality.

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0906/tactical-advantage-von-clausewitz-notwithstanding-demotivational-poster-1244349100.jpg

tuna quesadilla
10-16-2011, 9:59 AM

On another firearms forum they do the grapefruit challenge: If you can consistently nail a grapefruit at 50yds from a completely unsupported position, you're good. :)

Droppin Deuces
10-16-2011, 10:01 AM

I can do that with any of my AR's, but I think I can do it quicker with my .22. Is that tactical?

On another firearms forum they do the grapefruit challenge: If you can consistently nail a grapefruit at 50yds from a completely unsupported position, you're good. :)

Yeah, but this isn't a test of the shooter, it's the test of the gun. Because as we all know, a good gun makes a good shooter.

Ubermcoupe
10-16-2011, 10:05 AM
:rant:

So is there a difference between tactical carbine and tactical rifle? :o

Nismo
10-16-2011, 10:07 AM
One is a carbine and one is a rifle.

Ubermcoupe
10-16-2011, 10:07 AM
One is a carbine and one is a rifle.

0o0o0o0 :facepalm:

tuna quesadilla
10-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, but this isn't a test of the shooter, it's the test of the gun. Because as we all know, a good gun makes a good shooter.

Ahh yes. :TFH:

gmcal
10-16-2011, 10:13 AM
This thread reminds me of jr. high girls. "Did you see what Tina wore today?! OMG, I can't believe she would wear that!"

FMJBT
10-16-2011, 10:18 AM

"tactical" has completely lost it's meaning in the past 5 years or so.... and really doesn't even matter in reality.

Good point. Ask 10 people what "Tactical" means, and you are likely to get at least 10 different answers, probably all contradicting eachother. At this point, I think if it matches ones 5.11 Tactical pants and 5.11 Tactical concealment vest, it should be considered "Tactical". Or perhaps if it's a direct copy of the rifle or pistol they use on COD Black Ops....... Or if inspired by weapons of "Real Life Operators", or any of the rifles Val Kilmer used in "Heat", or Anime depicting ficticious "Real Life Operators", or or or or...... Dnnnnnnn!!!!!! RGGGGGG!!!!!! Brain Aneurysm!!!!!

Droppin Deuces
10-16-2011, 10:18 AM
This thread reminds me of jr. high girls. "Did you see what Tina wore today?! OMG, I can't believe she would wear that!"

Jr. High? Women do that in their 50's.

smashycrashy
10-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Just say'n and dream on.

Could every person who has used their civilian rifle in the US in the field for sustained military operations please raise their hand...

Yeah, it really doesn't matter that much.

Nismo
10-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Could every person who has used their civilian rifle in the US in the field for sustained military operations please raise their hand...

Yeah, it really doesn't matter that much.

What about non civi rifles in non US fields?

smashycrashy
10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
What about non civi rifles in non US fields?

Well that wouldn't be the rifles that the OP was getting all butt hurt about.

But I'd thank that person for their service :)

shooterfpga
10-16-2011, 10:39 AM
thread fail. i dunno how many times the op had to repeat himself. anyways, if you dont like what someone shows up to the range with, i suggest you buy some horse blinders next time you go. most normal people carry their rifles in a sling and if you cant handle to fire your rifle for awhile because its too heavy, maybe you just shouldnt have a rifle. my rifles that are strictly for a specific accurized purpose dont have slings on them, because i dont intend to use it for anything but a range rifle.

w55
10-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I put a breathalizer on my computer to avoid pointless rants....

I think most guys get the idea already lol, but thanks for pointing out the obvious :D

KracknCorn
10-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Sometimes the fun of building a gun is to make it look cool. Unless you really plan on going to war, firearms is a hobby to be enjoyed. If it's heavy and someone doesn't care, more power to them. I personally like light and practical rifles, but still like my heavy fal. I just think if you honestly believe you're gonna go commando in a post apocalyptic world someday... you might need to rethink reality. Even a post apocalyptic world, sometimes it's better to look intimidating and try to avoid getting into gun fights. Anyhoos, I'm ranting. I just think people are too concerned with shtf situations, it can happen, might happen, but the chances of it are slim.

Ubermcoupe
10-16-2011, 10:47 AM
http://imnotsurewhattocallthis.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/captain-obvious-4-mind-your-own-business-finished.jpg

Sunday
10-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Mine are pretty much all toys anyway. A Hobby maybe even a sport. I like to shoot my guns and they are for fun. I am not even close to a warrior or commando wannabe. I giggle inside at the term tactical. Tactical rifle ? Tactical pistol?

dieselpower
10-16-2011, 10:57 AM
once again... the weight of a rifle has nothing to do with it as to what it is. It simply weighs what it weighs.

I hate seeing long screwdrivers... people with long screwdrivers can't fix stuff.

I hate seeing Roofers with big heavy hammers, there is no way you can fix a watch band with one of those.

What king of freaking idiot buys a 55 inch LCD??? How the heck do you even carry one of those in your pocket?

The weight of a rifle is the weight of a rifle... it has nothing to do with using it.

dieselpower
10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Mine are pretty much all toys anyway. A Hobby maybe even a sport. I like to shoot my guns and they are for fun. I am not even close to a warrior or commando wannabe. I giggle inside at the term tactical. Tactical rifle ? Tactical pistol?

many people here... 99% do not consider their firearms "toys". They may have fun with them, they may use them for recreation, but a firearm is NOT A TOY.

The primary job and use of a firearm is to KILL something. Target shooting and other recreational acts are secondary "sports" to the main job of a firearm.

When an Anti-gun nut says, "Guns are made for killing people." the correct reply is, "Yes they are. Whats the problem with that?" Hammers are made to drive nails into wood. Screwdrivers are made to screw screws into nuts.

I own several firearms, none of them are "toys". I hear a "bump" in the middle of the night...I am not reaching for my Xbox controler...

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I own several firearms, none of them are "toys". I hear a "bump" in the middle of the night...I am not reaching for my Xbox controler...

if I had a sig, this line would be in it

CrossedRifles
10-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Maybe he meant something to fiddle with or entertain him, not really treat a firearm as a toy? Chuck Testa forbid if anyone actually treats it like one. :43:

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Just say'n and dream on.

You as a Californian probably have never lugged around a 14lbs PSL or rifle through the woods of OR. If you are worried about weight, you would not have brought that rifle to begin with...Right? :rolleyes: You would have brought something smaller if you were worried about weight or travel distance.

You bring what you need...If you don't want a heavy gun to lug around, don't bring it. Simple as that.

I am sorry that your gun maybe to heavy to lug from your trunk to the bench at the range you shoot at. Or are impressed or jealous of what people have or can do. However, to critique people for what they have is pretty silly since you are not going to change what they have on their guns at all. You don't know what they do with their guns (CA is different) so why bother worry about it?

To each is his own...Have and have nots. Have stamina and do not.

Tacticool or not, the most annoying thing is people critiquing guns or people they CANNOT ever change. :facepalm:

Droppin Deuces
10-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I actually think there's a difference between intended use and primary use. I could intend to use my long screwdriver to fasten screws, but primarily use it for killing fools.

negolien
10-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Just say'n and dream on.

Oh No'ss it's the Rifle Nazi run...:facepalm: sooo lofl btw bud nice pic.

Noonanda
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
This is like watching a Car Crash in slow motion, you know what the result is going to be and just cannot look away.

In other words "Lighten up Francis"

KracknCorn
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
many people here... 99% do not consider their firearms "toys". They may have fun with them, they may use them for recreation, but a firearm is NOT A TOY.

The primary job and use of a firearm is to KILL something. Target shooting and other recreational acts are secondary "sports" to the main job of a firearm.

When an Anti-gun nut says, "Guns are made for killing people." the correct reply is, "Yes they are. Whats the problem with that?" Hammers are made to drive nails into wood. Screwdrivers are made to screw screws into nuts.

My guns primary job is to shoot paper. I don't know what you're talking about. Hell, a pencils primary job is to kill people if it's used that way.

ZX-10R
10-16-2011, 11:55 AM
My guns primary job is to shoot paper. I don't know what you're talking about. Hell, a pencils primary job is to kill people if it's used that way.

I have literally ended people with a pen...

bloodhawke83
10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Mine isn't, I copied the M4. I think its barely 5 lbs with ammo in it.

Killawhale415
10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Dude, picture fail!
Oh No'ss it's the Rifle Nazi run...:facepalm: sooo lofl btw bud nice pic.

darqhelmet
10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I am still laughing at the op.

dieselpower
10-16-2011, 12:41 PM

thats fine...when you hear people breaking into your house grab your cell phone and a pencil, I am sure thats all you need :facepalm: :rolleyes:

KracknCorn
10-16-2011, 12:53 PM
thats fine...when you hear people breaking into your house grab your cell phone and a pencil, I am sure thats all you need :facepalm: :rolleyes:

if someone is attacking you and all you have is a pencil... write them a very strongly worded letter

shooterfpga
10-16-2011, 1:03 PM
if someone is attacking you and all you have is a pencil... write them a very strongly worded letter

this reminds me of the law some state has, about posting notice 24 hours in advance to your victim that youre going to rob them. lmao

Ryan in SD
10-16-2011, 1:33 PM
OP, after making this thread. Do you at least feel better about yourself?

Ubermcoupe
10-16-2011, 1:40 PM
I could intend to use my long screwdriver to fasten screws, but primarily use it for killing fools.

No, you cannot borrow my tools. :boat:

tuna quesadilla
10-16-2011, 1:43 PM
Mine isn't, I copied the M4. I think its barely 5 lbs with ammo in it.

Might want to double-check that. Even the super-lightweight builds have a hard time staying under 6lbs loaded.

peter95
10-16-2011, 1:47 PM
Mine is only 8.5 lbs total..... And it's pretty tacticool IMO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63598952@N05/6174286109/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Ubermcoupe
10-16-2011, 1:56 PM
Might want to double-check that. Even the super-lightweight builds have a hard time staying under 6lbs loaded.

Weight on an empty Colt M4: 6.26 lbs (according to wiki) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine), 6.9lbs w/ 30rds

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:08 PM
Who cares??? People own guns for different reasons. Not all of them are trying to live up to your perception of "practical for for carry/bugout" or tacticool.

Take a chill pill guy.

I think you need the chill pill. Im creating conversation and you've taken the bait.

People can make whatever they want. Im just saying, as above people create things, under the guise of it being tactical but it'll be impossible to carry such a rig.

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:12 PM
You should learn to let others do as they wish. You'll be happier and less stressed.

For the record, I do not own any heavy tactical rifles.

Im very happy and unstressed. Sorry you have made error filled assumptions.

Take it as a what this is, a conversation stimulating post.

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:16 PM
do you feel better now that you got that outta your system?????

Never felt bad. Just making talk. Thanks for contributing. This is what makes the boards interesting.

It's like shuffling around dirt near an ant mound and watching the ants scurry. :lurk5:

Pthfndr
10-16-2011, 2:16 PM
under the guise of it being tactical but it'll be impossible to carry such a rig.

I think these 60 guys, who had to carry their rifle, ammo, and any other gear they might need for a whole day, each day, at the annual NCPPRC Tactical Bolt Rifle Challenge would disagree with you.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/TBRC%202011%20Highlights/ncpprc_tbrc_2011_hl_full2.jpg

10-16-2011, 2:18 PM
Take it as a what this is, _____________

a troll thread.

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:20 PM
So?

Its not like the rifles will ever actually see any use outside of the shooting range anyway, so let people pretend without hating on them :P

Not hating. Just contributing to discussion. Im flat in my affect, bland, emotionless. It's all and act to appear irritated in order to affect people who are prone to emotionality.

Again, just posting to create conversation. I don't really care what people have or make, or own.

It's all just interesting talk.

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:21 PM
Am I the only one who found it difficult to read OP's post? lol....

It's quite difficult. Im off my psych meds today. Not really making sense. :D

Noonanda
10-16-2011, 2:22 PM
I think you need the chill pill. Im creating conversation and you've taken the bait.
So first and formost what your saying is you are trolling for responses?

People can make whatever they want. Im just saying, as above people create things, under the guise of it being tactical but it'll be impossible to carry such a rig.

Impossible, well it sounds like you need to hit the gym boss. :mnl: If you think carrying 12-16 pounds is gonna stop you cold, you sure aint gonna make it carrying 60+ in body armor/gear alone, plus weapon and ammo. And that gear weight was when I was "Tactical" aka Deployed. So if my weapons are heavy back here stateside its not a big deal, no one is shooting back at any of us and I can load it up in my truck, not walking everywhere. So life is good.:D

C6cxNR9ML8k

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:23 PM

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0906/tactical-advantage-von-clausewitz-notwithstanding-demotivational-poster-1244349100.jpg

YES! This is the best post.

No one really cares. It's all been great stirring the pot and discussing.

Thanks for all the contributions!

ERdept
10-16-2011, 2:25 PM
a troll thread.

In essence, it may be labeled as that. It's just talk.

Emotional/heated talk seems to be of interest to most of the world it appears.

See the view, It got 1200+ views. This stimulates talk and interest on CalGuns and keeps it lively.

bighead
10-16-2011, 2:54 PM
It's a troll thread because of differing opinions?

It's sad that threads about AR's seem turn into full blown purse fights.

I will add, a lighter rifle makes more sense to me. If someone wants to put 20lbs of crap on it because they saw it in a guns and ammo magazine so be it.It's their right.Conversely, it's also someones right to disagree with having a rifle loaded with junk.

Too much thought policing here imo.

17+1
10-16-2011, 3:25 PM

:rofl2:

It's The Internet, man...

gmcal
10-16-2011, 3:37 PM
Im very happy and unstressed. Sorry you have made error filled assumptions.

Take it as a what this is, a conversation stimulating post.

Error filled assumptions? Read your OP again.

Stimulating conversation? This was an obivious troll attempt. If you would really like to get a conversation going about the topic how about you ask people why they need equipment/rifles that are heavier than you think they need. You contributed nothing.

Mamluke
10-16-2011, 3:44 PM
Please don't get personal, insult or mock the OP! He has a right to speak his mind all you have to say is that you disagree with him & with courtesy explain why!

OP, people are different & don't have to all prescribe to a certain mold that fits your vision of what a firearm should look like!

I have a plain jane AK & the mother of all tacticool 22lr (just sold BTW)...
The 22lr:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/st7.jpg

My plain Jane AK:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/IMG_0065.jpg

My next AR will be a tacticool monster, but never my AK! That's the way I'm & you have to respect our differences but still disagree!

.... MY2CENTS GENTS & LADIES

10-16-2011, 3:47 PM
I say to each their own.
Its their rifle, they can put whatever they want on it. So what if its heavy?
I agree some guns do look over dressed sometimes but its TACTICOOL!!!

dascoyne
10-16-2011, 4:14 PM
I couldn't hear the OP at all.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/longbough1/bs-1.jpg

chead
10-16-2011, 4:17 PM
Who cares? Aside from the OP, that is.

tuna quesadilla
10-16-2011, 4:28 PM
Weight on an empty Colt M4: 6.26 lbs (according to wiki) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine), 6.9lbs w/ 30rds

Exactly my point.

There's a very informative thread going on right now over on "that other AR15 forum" where people post their rifle and how much it weighs "ready to go." All of the rifles that have a full mag, a light, and an optic weigh 8-10 lbs regardless of whether they have a pencil barrel and a lightweight freefloat tube. The only way you're getting in the 5lb range, loaded, on a useful carbine is with gratuitous use of carbon fiber and polymer.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 4:32 PM
Troll admits to trolling, but calls its sitmulating discussion. Wouldn't want to hang out at the bar with this guy.

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 4:56 PM
Troll admits to trolling, but calls its sitmulating discussion. Wouldn't want to hang out at the bar with this guy.

I would. it would be hilarious

Merc1138
10-16-2011, 4:58 PM
Exactly my point.

There's a very informative thread going on right now over on "that other AR15 forum" where people post their rifle and how much it weighs "ready to go." All of the rifles that have a full mag, a light, and an optic weigh 8-10 lbs regardless of whether they have a pencil barrel and a lightweight freefloat tube. The only way you're getting in the 5lb range, loaded, on a useful carbine is with gratuitous use of carbon fiber and polymer.

Even the christensen arms rifles are only getting under 7 pounds with a CF wrapped barrel and CF handguard. A plastic plum crazy lower only really shaves off a few ounces. A 5 pound loaded AR? Not a chance unless it's a pistol.

People seem to have some strange notions on how lightweight a carbine(which is a rifle) needs to be. A garand weighs around 10 pounds with nothing special attached to it. An m1 carbine is 5.2 pounds or so, but is a little "weak" compared to a modern 5.56 chambered rifle(with regards to velocity and energy). To get a basic m4 down to 6.3 is perfectly fine, even weighing 8 pounds isn't a big deal either. It would be nice to see a 4 pound(unloaded) semi auto 5.56 rifle, but without being a "pistol" or SBR, it's just not going to happen. To claim that carrying around an 8-9 pound AR is somehow an unreasonable task because of it's weight is absolutely silly.

tacticalcity
10-16-2011, 5:21 PM
I think I"ll post what I think he means...

Well, no those are not what he means. Not that his point has any validity to it. After all, the M249 SAW is much heavier than anything the guys on Calguns are building.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/e/ef/M249ParaWAmmo.jpg/400px-M249ParaWAmmo.jpg

While even the owner of the top example you posted would admit he built it for bench rest work, those rifles are actually lighter than the M40 the OP is referring to in his post.

Take away the compliance devices and the bottom example you posted of a too heavy to be practical rifle is almost identical to the typical designated marksman rifle. They both come in much, much lighter than the M40 he used in his example and both used in the field.

The SAM-R is almost identical to the bottom rifle.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/USMC_M16_SAMR.jpg/300px-USMC_M16_SAMR.jpg

The SDM-R is not much different.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/SquadDesignatedMarksmen.jpg/300px-SquadDesignatedMarksmen.jpg

Lord knows anything with a grenade launcher is going to be heavier than anything a Calguns guy is going to build unless he gets his hands on a Spikes flare launcher.
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/a/a0/M16A2_M203.jpg/500px-M16A2_M203.jpg

Frankly, the OPs point doesn't really hold up to reality. But yours is even worse since the example you used is a clone of an actual military fielded rifle. The fact is, you do see very heavy rifles in the field.

Personally I would prefer something lighter. That doesn't mean the military agrees.

Just look at the SR25 or M110, both much heavier than anything you posted and much heavier than the M40. But they replaced the M40 and M24.
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/1/12/M110_ECP_Right_Bipod.jpg/400px-M110_ECP_Right_Bipod.jpg

That's not even getting into the Barrett 50BMG solutions like the M107.
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/a/a2/Berrett_M107.jpg/450px-Berrett_M107.jpg

The military has no problem using heavy guns, not even when guys have to lug them around on foot. You guys are both WAY off base...not to mention insulting people for no good reason.

DangerousGoods
10-16-2011, 5:31 PM
My money, my choice. Since when do people have the right to ***** about what I do with my hard earned coin. Maybe the OP is a 99%er.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 5:32 PM

haha, I don't like to go to bars with people with the intention of laughing AT them.

i<3HK
10-16-2011, 5:34 PM
OP is wrong, and possibly an idiot. People build what they want... how they want and for whatever reason they want. Not all of us on this forum believe that the world is going to suddenly end some day and we are going to need to carry our precision rifles around daily in order to survive. not all of us here believe that if something terrible ever happened in our community that the president would call our phone and ask for our help suppressing an active shooter at the mall.

in fact many of the guys here with the rifles OP is complaining about just shoot at the range... they aren't trying to make their rifles look like military rifles so you think they are badass, or think they are in the military or think they must be so hardcore tactical. NOPE Some just put some rails and cool optics/sights on because that's what they want to do, either by looks or they want something durable and made with quality.

Personally.... I train with my weapons and have quite a different method than my friends who mainly shoot at ranges on benches so my gear is quite different than theirs. But it's fun to shoot with them, shoot their guns and let them shoot mine.

:iagree:

Steve1968LS2
10-16-2011, 6:29 PM
Why do you care what others do?

And I think you're claim that these "tatical" rifles are 25lbs is just drama queen BS..

My AR, with Eotech is a hair over 8 lbs.. with a light it's still under 9..

8.2 lb AR (with the EXPs EoTech on it now and a TD VFG)

http://i56.tinypic.com/6gwmqv.jpg

Whiny thread is whiny... :)

Steve1968LS2
10-16-2011, 6:36 PM

So you're admitting you're a troll?? lol

Next time you decide to "start a conversaition" try to have less BS in the premise :)

diego-ted
10-16-2011, 6:57 PM
GUILTY!! LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/BA%20110/DSC01113.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/Tikka/DSC01067.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/DSC01079.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/DSC00752.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/TANGODOWN.jpg

diego-ted
10-16-2011, 6:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/DSCN0093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/DSC00732.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/DSC00690.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/DSC00685.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/Pinks%20ET/HPIM2314.jpg

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 7:26 PM
This thread makes me want one of these lol.

NF Optics
Various Lighting Systems for flood, throw and backup
Compass on stock is a must
Key holder on grip.. must have, don't want to loose keys right...
Multi-Tool for eating, everyone gotta eat
Hood ornament for bling factor, easier for ur friends to find you at the range...
Can carry handle for easy transport...

He doesnt even have a bipod, so must be a run and gun setup...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k73/JohnWagnerIII/mallninja.jpg

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 7:29 PM

And I think you're claim that these "tatical" rifles are 25lbs is just drama queen BS..

8.2 lb AR (with the EXPs EoTech on it and a TD VFG)

Nice AR... very clean

numsii
10-16-2011, 8:04 PM
http://mktng.us/mix/fix.jpg

Fixed it for ya.

unusedusername
10-16-2011, 8:47 PM
8.2 lb AR (with the EXPs EoTech on it and a TD VFG)

That is a very odd looking EoTech... :facepalm:

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 8:58 PM
Its a new model... only available to cool kids.

Sniper3142
10-16-2011, 9:01 PM

Maybe impossible for you.

I suspect you might be weak of body (and possibly mind).

I strongly suggest more exercise (of both mind and body).

Steve1968LS2
10-16-2011, 9:07 PM
That is a very odd looking EoTech... :facepalm:

Reading is a perishable skill.. I suggest you trying doing it more often :)

Also, way to miss the point completely! Plus 2 internets for you!!

pyro3k2
10-16-2011, 9:49 PM
this thread had so much potential for win...but was lost in the sea of internet argument. NEED MOAR PICS!!!!!!!!!

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 10:00 PM
More Picts!!!

http://www.mycity-military.com/imgs/65870_88675974_tacticoolAR15.jpg

ExtremeX
10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
ES9QxE3sUaw

jdouglas
10-16-2011, 10:10 PM
It's undoubtedly due to my "extremely weak" body (not mind), but after carrying it around for hours each week this past summer (out of necessity; don't ask where or why), I can definitely say I prefer a lightweight, bone stock AR-15 setup.

Obviously each person can do what they want; it's a free country after all (or at least used to be free), but there are some of us weaklings who like to keep things simple. Not everybody can become a 6' 5" 275 lbs machine of pure muscle; every so often genetics will side against some of us. :(

EDIT: That "Most Tactical Loadout" video is hilarious! :D

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
ES9QxE3sUaw

That was hilarious!

"Tactical... shorts!" and the pile of brass that leads to a zoom out to show the target 30 feet away... pure awesome.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
It's undoubtedly due to my "extremely weak" body (not mind), but after carrying it around for hours each week this past summer (out of necessity; don't ask where or why), I can definitely say I prefer a lightweight, bone stock AR-15 setup.

Obviously each person can do what they want; it's a free country after all (or at least used to be free), but there are some of us weaklings who like to keep things simple. Not everybody can become a 6' 5" 275 lbs machine of pure muscle; every so often genetics will side against some of us. :(

You know what the best part of a rail system is? You can take stuff off of it when you don't need it and put stuff back on when you need it... wait a mintue, isn't that why rail systems are used???? :p

BTW, a quality rail like a larue or DD lite actually saves weight over a delta ring, plastic handguard, front cap and FSB. :eek:

jdouglas
10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Then again, part of my bias against tacticool stuff is that I can't really afford any extras right now. :D A vertical foregrip and a red dot sight are two things I'd consider getting eventually.

wizdumb
10-16-2011, 10:31 PM
This thread is full of AR rifles and carbines, which is the first thing that I thought of when I read "tactical rifle" as well.

However, since the OP uses the following terms, I get the impression that he is actually talking about bolt-action rifles rather than semi-auto/auto-loading:

- "M40"
- "5 lb barrel"
- "benchrest rifles"
- "Surgeon Rifle"
- "sniper rifle"

killshot44
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
think you need the chill pill. Im creating conversation and you've taken the bait.

And you're a Troll, point taken.

ERdept
10-17-2011, 1:07 AM
And you're a Troll, point taken.

Trolling for conversation via contribution. Thank you for participating and exchanging information.

ERdept
10-17-2011, 1:10 AM
Error filled assumptions? Read your OP again.

Stimulating conversation? This was an obivious troll attempt. If you would really like to get a conversation going about the topic how about you ask people why they need equipment/rifles that are heavier than you think they need. You contributed nothing.

I contributed a question, which caused people to exchange info regarding that Rhetorical question.

Thanks for participating. Chant a calming mantra with me.

ERdept
10-17-2011, 1:12 AM

I'll take my usual iced milk with pretzels and be the designated driver.

Someone has to mind the drunks.

Steve1968LS2
10-17-2011, 6:29 AM
Happy troll seems happy...

gmcal
10-17-2011, 7:45 AM
I contributed a question, which caused people to exchange info regarding that Rhetorical question.

Thanks for participating. Chant a calming mantra with me.

What question? I reread your OP and there is not question. Only a longwinded statement that people have 25lb tactical rifles that aren't really tactical rifles but benchrest rifles. Did I misread your OP?

21SF
10-17-2011, 8:03 AM
Some of the tactical operators here are just fat couch potatoes !!!

OutlawDon
10-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Whatever! I'm sexy!

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/humour/images/260fatguy.jpg

Rouge Recon
10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
ER, your point holds a lot of truth. I'm not a believer in bench practice because the shooter doesn't spend time working with actual weight of the rifle. But no need to care what others carry.

someR1
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
You should come up with a list of items you'll approve of. Wouldn't want to spend money on anything you don't approve...

LMFAO this is the troof troof.

To the OP: who cares what YOU think ?! The main point of building a gun is to make it unique and the gun you really want. Your gun is probably not like anyone elses gun, and if it is, your a tool for copying somebody else to the T. If people want to be mall ninjas, who cares? Let them do it, because it makes them happy.

bighead
10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
What's funny is there's a chance, albeit a slight one, that all the name callers own overweight "tactical" rifles.

darqhelmet
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
What is "tatical"? See that thrown around a lot, so what is it?

chead
10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
My money, my choice. Since when do people have the right to ***** about what I do with my hard earned coin. Maybe the OP is a 99%er.

Us "99%ers" use AKs, thanks.

someR1
10-17-2011, 12:08 PM
What is "tatical"? See that thrown around a lot, so what is it?

I'm assuming you are serious here, so I will answer: "Tactical rifles" are supposed to be built for combat situations or close quarters combat like what you see in the movies. Meaning lighter weapon, lasers, lights, collapsible stock, and other accessories. Although most people never see combat, many people build "tactical" rifles. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just stating the obvious.

ExtremeX
10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Then again, part of my bias against tacticool stuff is that I can't really afford any extras right now. :D A vertical foregrip and a red dot sight are two things I'd consider getting eventually.

I like your brand of honesty lol

Lugiahua
10-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I only know that I carry 35lb backpack and IIIA vest everyday since high school.
when I get my CCW, I will carry my pistol as well.

What OP needs is more work out. :D

goodlookin1
10-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Us "99%ers" use AKs, thanks.

Tea Partiers use clean AR's

Flea Partiers use dirty AK's

:D

chead
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Tea Partiers use clean AR's

Flea Partiers use dirty AK's

:D

No fleas here, but you're right about the dirty AK ;)

goodlookin1
10-17-2011, 1:03 PM
Seriously, if you cant hump a 10lb rifle slung over your shoulder, you need more exercise.

OP, you are being ridiculous about gun weight. Yes, the 14.5" NFA carbine it light, but there is something you have obviously overlooked because you have never been in the military or dont know somebody who has:

1) They have extra things on their carbines too, like quad rails (Knights Armament), "tactical lights" (SureFire), PEQ2/PEQ15's (IR/red Laser), custom buttstocks, ACOG's/EOTechs/Aimpoints, Slings, etc. All of these items are what you consider items that turn your "hump it all day" rifle into a "bench rifle". When was the last time you saw a soldier without any of this gear?

2) They are carrying A LOT of extra weight, other than their rifle: Water, ammunition, sometimes food, body armor, helmet, etc, etc....you get the point. Often, you are carrying a third of your body weight in excess gear! Add to that a rifle, and it gets VERY heavy. Any additional weight savings is valuable, and one place to do that is the rifle.

So in conclusion, if you cannot carry a 10lb AR because it's too heavy, then you need to exercise and lose weight. I'd take a gander that if the men in uniform didnt have to lug all that extra weight with them when they go out on patrols/missions, they wouldnt care so much about a slightly weightier rifle. And keep in mind that the Battle Rifle of all battle rifles weighed over 9.5 lbs UNLOADED and was never considered a "bench gun" (Yes, the M1 Garand).

bloodhawke83
10-17-2011, 1:10 PM
next thing you know, the OP will say an AR-15 .223 has a lot of recoil. :nopity:

peter95
10-17-2011, 1:52 PM
This is what I got... under 8.9 lbs...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/6174286109_48c5649a6f_b.jpg

Barbarossa
10-17-2011, 2:15 PM
I enjoy my gun. Never occurred to me to weight it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iaI-RLVPwLM/TDkqfXL4soI/AAAAAAAACG4/DjKgFMST41Y/s800/photo.jpg

Merc1138
10-17-2011, 2:22 PM
next thing you know, the OP will say an AR-15 .223 has a lot of recoil. :nopity:

And then he bought a 20" rifle gas heavy barrel with a JP recoil eliminator, endine hydraulic buffer and 5 pounds of lead weights to put under his handguards and in his a2 stock.

Steve1968LS2
10-17-2011, 3:18 PM

No, he will say the recoil is lessened by the 25-pound weight.. lol

Fjold
10-17-2011, 3:40 PM
Define tactical.

mikeinla
10-17-2011, 4:03 PM
Waste of space for relevant information.

ExtremeX
10-17-2011, 4:19 PM
Waste of space for relevant information.

lol

2nd Shot
10-17-2011, 4:29 PM
This is why I chose a Remington 700 SPS-Tactical to build my rifle. I wanted something that shot like a heavy barrel target rifle from the bench or off the bipod, but was short, light, and portable enough to be useful as a field rifle. After wringing it out, I feel that it fills both needs more than adequately for me.

cfusionpm
10-17-2011, 5:43 PM

8.2 lb AR (with the EXPs EoTech on it now and a TD VFG)

I second that! My "tacticool" rifle weighs in at a whopping 8.8 lbs, with optic. That may sound a hair heavier, but it's not too dang bad considering it's a piston driven AR. :)

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1543/img9307y.jpg

Speedpower
10-17-2011, 6:11 PM
This is why I chose a Remington 700 SPS-Tactical to build my rifle. I wanted something that shot like a heavy barrel target rifle from the bench or off the bipod, but was short, light, and portable enough to be useful as a field rifle. After wringing it out, I feel that it fills both needs more than adequately for me.

My Remington 700 SPS-Tactical with a scope and a Harris bi-pod weights more than 11 pounds, it's definitely not light!

cadmium
10-17-2011, 6:15 PM
People build what they enjoy to shoot. What's wrong with that.

goodlookin1
10-17-2011, 6:30 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iaI-RLVPwLM/TDkqfXL4soI/AAAAAAAACG4/DjKgFMST41Y/s800/photo.jpg

Get rid of the A2 gas block for a low profile block and you will get more light coming into that scope for a clearer/brighter sight picture :)

smittty
10-17-2011, 7:10 PM
The AR was designed to be light weight combat rifle and it's foolish to load it up with useless accessories. If your carbine weighs more than 7 lbs it's too heavy but the economy needs you to keep buying more **** so keep up the good work!

Steve1968LS2
10-17-2011, 8:02 PM
The AR was designed to be light weight combat rifle and it's foolish to load it up with useless accessories. If your carbine weighs more than 7 lbs it's too heavy but the economy needs you to keep buying more **** so keep up the good work!

Well there you have it guys.. the expert(s) have spoken.. those optics are all a waste..

Someone go let the military know that an 8 lb rifle is now considered unacceptable.. lol

This thread just keeps delivering comedy gold.. OMG YOUR RIFLE IS 8 POUNDS!!!! HOW DO YOU EVEN LIFT IT!!!!!!!!!

Hoop
10-17-2011, 8:05 PM

or 98lb weaklings like me.

Hoop
10-17-2011, 8:07 PM
Define tactical.

Looks cool and has lots of expensive doohickeys hanging off it.

Merc1138
10-17-2011, 8:08 PM
Well there you have it guys.. the expert(s) have spoken.. those optics are all a waste..

Someone go let the military know that an 8 lb rifle is now considered unacceptable.. lol

This thread just keeps delivering comedy gold.. OMG YOUR RIFLE IS 8 POUNDS!!!! HOW DO YOU EVEN LIFT IT!!!!!!!!!

I guess they need some tactical shake weights

http://gifsoup.com/view1/1304848/shake-weight-o.gif

Javi
10-17-2011, 8:12 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JQcJ1Xt0PBs/THQfJJUidbI/AAAAAAAAAGc/RJEhRvf5PJY/s1600/lock.jpg

monk
10-17-2011, 8:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K7ej8YicKpA/TajwR0qcDWI/AAAAAAAAAlw/AsU_z6Ziwg0/s1600/Haters-Gonna-Hate-Baby-Smoking-Pipe.jpg

NorCalK9.com
10-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I love rants like this! Its what keeps calguns interesting!
Who wants to compare ak47's AK74's, and AR15's all day?

smittty
10-17-2011, 10:57 PM

This thread is getting interesting! So, can anyone explain the purpose of a carbine configured like one in that photo? Skinny barrel, short handguard, high magnification scope...CQC, sniping?

Merc1138
10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
This thread is getting interesting! So, can anyone explain the purpose of a carbine configured like one in that photo? Skinny barrel, short handguard, high magnification scope...CQC, sniping?

Hunting? It's not like you need a barrage of shots, or you're taking out 50 ground squirrels at a time. Maybe he wants the magnification and didn't want the weight of a 20" hbar. Who cares, it's not yours and what he does with it won't affect you.

MrPlink
10-17-2011, 11:11 PM

defending mortal kombat machines at the local mall :D

darqhelmet
10-18-2011, 12:02 AM
So nothing I carried in the Marine Corps is tactical because they all weighed over 10 pounds with ammo. Interesting.

ERdept
10-18-2011, 7:26 AM
What question? I reread your OP and there is not question. Only a longwinded statement that people have 25lb tactical rifles that aren't really tactical rifles but benchrest rifles. Did I misread your OP?

No, I mistated the Rhetorical question. I was a Rhetorical statement, designed to cause discussion, banter, talk, emotionality.

Seems it works. Thanks again for the reply. After a bit, the thread takes a life of its own.

Thats when you sit back and listen to the talk, watch the emotionality, anger, or sometimes cool people post.

ERdept
10-18-2011, 7:28 AM
LMFAO this is the troof troof.

To the OP: who cares what YOU think ?! The main point of building a gun is to make it unique and the gun you really want. Your gun is probably not like anyone elses gun, and if it is, your a tool for copying somebody else to the T. If people want to be mall ninjas, who cares? Let them do it, because it makes them happy.

No one cares. See several of my posts up. I don't care.

It's just to stimulate contribution. Thanks for contributing to the liveliness of the boards and activity.

goodlookin1
10-18-2011, 7:29 AM
No, I mistated the Rhetorical question. I was a Rhetorical statement, designed to cause discussion, banter, talk, emotionality.

Seems it works. Thanks again for the reply. After a bit, the thread takes a life of its own.

Thats when you sit back and listen to the talk, watch the emotionality, anger, or sometimes cool people post.

You, sir, define what an "internet troll" is...

ZombieTactics
10-18-2011, 7:44 AM
Some electric guitars and basses weigh as much as 20lbs. A tuba weighs around 30-35lbs. If you cannot wield a rifle as well as a skinny, emaciated, long-haired punk (or geeky, overweight marching band member) can wield a musical instrument ... maybe the problem isn't the gun.

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2011, 7:46 AM

I've never seen someone so proud of sounding like an idiot.. lol

Kempfer
10-18-2011, 7:47 AM
No one cares. See several of my posts up. I don't care.

It's just to stimulate contribution. Thanks for contributing to the liveliness of the boards and activity.

Trolling Like a Boss

Target19
10-18-2011, 8:01 AM
So who has a tactical gun but no tactics to use it tactically???
Don't be shy...it's okay to admit it !!!

Barbarossa
10-18-2011, 8:02 AM
Get rid of the A2 gas block for a low profile block and you will get more light coming into that scope for a clearer/brighter sight picture :)

I have a Troy fold down front sight, but not the nerves to screw with my upper.

I was originally going to buy a 24" stag 6H upper, but during "the panic" picked this spikes upper up as it was available. Already had the scope on order. ADM scope mount is quick release and holds zero remarkably well.

It's purpose is a range toy/tool to improve my rifle skills.

blackrifle242
10-18-2011, 8:34 AM
OP just comes off as being smug. If you really want a rise out of me, come sit on my lap.

Maddog5150
10-18-2011, 8:39 AM
That's what happens when Air soft was introduced.

Cant even search for "real" guns anymore without 90% of the results being airsoft examples. :(

I cant search for anything gun related without a forum popping up :( It makes it hard to find shops or articles on stuff. Wish there was a way to avoid forums in google searches

NorCalK9.com
10-18-2011, 8:49 AM
To the OP. You have succesfully got 5 pages worth of responses from a RANT!
Oh yeah now that its so accepted to be mall ninja im gonna pimp out one of my AK's lmfao.
OP please once a week start a thread like this? So much funner than half the other crap!

dls
10-18-2011, 8:54 AM
Aren't most of our guns "range" guns? I don't think there's too many of us running around in the woods doing the scout sniper thing. If we were,Uncle Sam will have issued you your weapon. And if SHTF does happen,most of unnecessary stuff pops right off.

OutlawDon
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
OP is entitled to his opinion, trollish, foolish or not. Free to rant all he wants.

I could care less what he or anyone thinks of my setup.

Some of you get so heated and take it personal like he was insulting your mother. :facepalm:

The mission will drive the equipment choice.

Choose appropriately, whether it's a 20lb tacticool, long range, 1 million mile, precision rifle or a 6lb CQB, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, pretending-I'm-a-mall-ninja-in-my-living-room carbine.

NorCalK9.com
10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Its funny when I see really cool looking rifles with all the accesories but then I think about it i'm 5'11 175lbs and I know I cant run around with those rifle for any extended time so i'm grateful for my ak74 w reddor and sling. But I sure respect the guys that carry those cool looking rifles!
And did I mention I love rants like these? Lol

tacticalcity
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Not exactly a skinny barrel. M4 profile might get thinner under the handguards or it might be the SOCOM profile which gets thicker. You can't know for sure.

Most likely used for range use or plinking. Could also be a ranch rifle. I've seen this setup a lot on ranches. Where you need something small and relatively light weight, but also need to reach out there and touch the critters that mess with your herd. The 20" beasts don't fit on an ATV or horse as well as something like this would. No different than an Mini-14 with a scope. Infact, most likely better.

You would be surprised what kind of distance and accuracy you squeeze out of a regular M4.

I personally run a red dot on mine because I prefer running and gunning and taking courses more than long range plinking at my local range. But there is nothing wrong with it either.

tacticalcity
10-18-2011, 11:38 AM
OP is entitled to his opinion, trollish, foolish or not. Free to rant all he wants.

I could care less what he or anyone thinks of my setup.

Some of you get so heated and take it personal like he was insulting your mother. :facepalm:

The mission will drive the equipment choice.

Choose appropriately, whether it's a 20lb tacticool, long range, 1 million mile, precision rifle or a 6lb CQB, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, pretending-I'm-a-mall-ninja-in-my-living-room carbine.

To respond to the fat guy thing you posted earlier, but now I can't find it and the mall ninja thing. The OPs post is symptamatic of a very annoying trend here on Calguns, that is getting backlash. That is the "you're a posser because of _____" posts and comments. Sometimes it is gear choice, sometimes it's because of somebody's gut, and people are as wrong as often as they are right. Frankly they have no business making such posts. They should just be nice to their fellow members and not try to insult total strangers in the interest of sounding or looking cool. Because it has the opposite effect.

Not to defend fat guys, myself included, but there seems to be a misperception that because a guy is round around the midsection at 40 somehow he could not possibly have made a worth while contribution at age 20. Perhaps your just young and don't know better yet. Or perhaps you are one of the lucky ones life has not cursed with the extra buldge as you aged. But real life doesn't work that way, not even for special ops guys. People retire, no longer have 5am wake-ups and 5 mile daily runs, but still keep eating like they do. Their new supervisory/desk job positions in civilian are not condusive to staying ultra fit like their past life. So unless you are genetically gifted, you get fatter and slower with age. That doesn't mean you were not a stud or real deal operator back in your day. Look at any football team at a twenty year reunion (pro or otherwise) and you will see what I mean. Olympian at 20 doesn't always mean He-Man at 40.

Here is a prime example. Last time I looked Larry Vickers made me look like an Ethiopian kid in dire need of a Snikers bar. But I'm not idiodic enough to accuse him of being a "mall ninja". The man is undeniably a stud and his accomplishments legendary. For every Vickers there are a thousand guys who's name you've never heard of who were real deal operators worthy of respect - looking just a saggy in their old age as Larry. I know countless examples of former Army Rangers, Army SF, Navy Seals, Marine Recon, etc. that look like anything but what they are/were now that they are old guys. Old age doesn't make them any less worthy of respect and common courtesy.

My point...becareful judging a book by it's cover. You could end up making a fool out of yourself. The mall ninja, keyboard commando, etc. comments are way out of control on this forum. Everyone has forgotten the golden rule.

This is of course, where all the people who think it is perfectly fine to insult people they do not know question my motives and call me names. Just further illustrating my point.

/RANT

monk
10-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm just of the opinion that if everyone's firearms looked the same we'd have a very boring time about it. We'd be like Apple. Everything looking just like everything else with nothing really special about them.

Daze
10-18-2011, 1:31 PM
and not everyone's gun is set up to do the same stuff. My first Olympic Arms I've had since 1989 stayed bone stock for 10 years, then I got into shooting airsoft with a couple of buddies and started to drink deeply of the Magpul koolaid just like many others here and started to strap on "coolness" like tinsel on a x-mas tree (CTR,BAD,ASAP,MOE...and a partridge in a pear tree, if I thought it looked good.) All good and fine, more bling factor, but didn't change the way my AR shot one bit. As I actually shot the rifle I began to realize that while certain things were nice additions look wise, they didn't help me shoot any better than I did 10 years prior with 15 less pounds around the middle. What did help was shooting more, training classes, range time, and just practice, both at home and at the range. I also realized that just one rifle probably wasn't gonna do all the tasks I wanted it to do, so when I build now, I build for a purpose, whether it be bench with a rifle length G/S magnified optic and bi-pod, or a room clearing rifle with carbine G/S, RD, light/laser etc.

ERdept
10-18-2011, 1:53 PM
Trolling Like a Boss

YEAH BABY!:troll:

So heated! Some people really wear their emotions on their sleeves (not you Kempfer). 4000+ views in a few days.

As an aside, seems easy to incite a riot in the L.A. area, with such emotionality as witnessed on this post. We are truly blessed to be able to take care of ourselves in case of zombie break out. I've always felt this was a code name for a mass of people in a riot situation. Similarities, such as chaos and the law being unable to handle that chaos mirror gunners prep for zombie outbreak. It is ALWAYS fascinating to observe people always (that's why when I eat out, I always prefer to sit outside on boardwalks and outside dining if available)

Anyway, the set-ups for your long range stuff are many and varied as we all know.

It's interesting to see the myriad of possibilites for a long range accurate rifle. I've used the term "tactical" intentionally to see what responses it garners. I have no idea what that really means, but just a vague notion that is is black or camo, and looks like and established military weapon.

Im "guilty", if i may say, of having that heavy tack driver myself. And also a light one. It's great to have so many options available. I liked the weight to keep it planted on the rest. I would drive it out the the range (Angeles) and back up the the lane and take the case out and set it on the bench.

I have another rifle that I intended to take out on my first pig hunt, and be able to walk with it, but have not had the time to even go yet. But I will in a little bit as soon as work lessens.

But we may have any kind of rifle in any form WE want. Who cares. But it's always interesting to talk about it non-the-less.

Remember, stay calm everyone. its' just a discussion. Always dangerous to have emotional people and guns mix. Take some calming breaths with me. Inhaling through the nostrils, and exhaling through the mouth.

Prolong the exhale to last longer than the inhale and upon expelling the breath in a controlled manner, also imagine expelling all your stresses, emotions, and worries. Stress can really do a number on the mind and body. Needlessly accumulating to high levels at the end of the day. Hans Selye in his book intitled The Stress of Life, speaks of how generalized stress and manifest itself in specific conditions, i.e. insomnia. I have read insomnia is NOT a diagnosis in itself, but a symptom.

Again, cool interesting talk. We should do this over a beer, but Im afraid the alcohol my cause some to lose even more control than they already have and lash out in some way. haha

Please continue.:yes:

Nate87
10-18-2011, 2:17 PM
Here I am "bench resting" my "tactical" rifle in a little place called the Korengal Valley.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/NateDogg8732/DSC05551.jpg

The rifle itself is an M4 with ACOG, BUIS, PEQ15(Laser), "tactical" light, M203 leaf sight, sling, M203 grenade launcher with one in the tube and a full mag. With all that it's really not that heavy but still heavier than all my personal weapons. The weight of the rifle is NOTHING compared to all the extra gear and ammo you carry when you walk up and down steep mountains. For example, 32 203 grenades, 13 magazines, 2 frag grenades, flack, SAPI plates and side SAPIs, smoke grenade, radio, GPS, compas, maps, laser range finder, camera, water, food, personal med kit, extra med kit, extra batteries for all equipment, and all the other small stuff that adds up that im forgetting.

Sooooo I'm pretty sure if one can carry all this, then they can carry a rifle that weighs 18 lbs by itself without issue. Just saying.

esartori
10-18-2011, 2:25 PM
Here I am "bench resting" my "tactical" rifle in a little place called the Korengal Valley.

The rifle itself is an M4 with ACOG, BUIS, PEQ15(Laser), "tactical" light, M203 leaf sight, sling, M203 grenade launcher with one in the tube and a full mag. With all that it's really not that heavy but still heavier than all my personal weapons. The weight of the rifle is NOTHING compared to all the extra gear and ammo you carry when you walk up and down steep mountains. For example, 32 203 grenades, 13 magazines, 2 frag grenades, flack, SAPI plates and side SAPIs, smoke grenade, radio, GPS, compas, maps, laser range finder, camera, water, food, personal med kit, extra med kit, extra batteries for all equipment, and all the other small stuff that adds up that im forgetting.

Sooooo I'm pretty sure if one can carry all this, then they can carry a rifle that weighs 18 lbs by itself without issue. Just saying.

The Korengal. Not the best place in town and I know all that gear is needed given how remote and dangerous it is. Definitely makes all this talk about rifle weight seem inconsequential when most people are going to the range anyways.

ERdept
10-18-2011, 2:36 PM

Thank you for your service. We all owe a great debt to you'all.

i have dealt with a few vets coming into the the ER as patients. Most have been there for behavioral health issues unfortunately.

The things seen, done and experienced, I cannot even come close to imagining. It's probably the tip of the iceberg in terms of how many vets are suffering from PTSD and depression as a result of going from a high adrenaline, life endangering environment to one back in the states.

Im glad you are here and well.

HK35
10-18-2011, 2:44 PM
The rifle itself is an M4 with ACOG, BUIS, PEQ15(Laser), "tactical" light, M203 leaf sight, sling, M203 grenade launcher with one in the tube and a full mag.
Darn, that's some serious real ninja stuff you gots there. No wonder you're benching it per the OP's criteria: waay too heavy for carrying by itself. :43:

Paper Boy
10-18-2011, 2:44 PM
I love rants like this! Its what keeps calguns interesting!
Who wants to compare ak47's AK74's, and AR15's all day?

We can also do a 9mm vs 45 on the AR platform to and REALLY round it out....

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2011, 3:32 PM
The OPs post is symptamatic of a very annoying trend here on Calguns, that is getting backlash. That is the "you're a posser because of _____" posts and comments.

Funny.. I just figured the OP just posted something completely ignorant and then figured out that he sounded like a fool. Rather than just accept that he then decided that he meant to sound ignorant because he figured it's better to look like a troll rather than stupid.

smittty
10-18-2011, 3:36 PM
We can also do a 9mm vs 45 on the AR platform to and REALLY round it out....

Well not until we debate the reference to Apple products!

Oh, how would you feel about an Apple designed AR-15ish rifle and what do you think it would look like? Would it come in white, different capacities, etc?

Iggy
10-18-2011, 3:50 PM
That's hardcore. It must be a dangerous place if your are positioned out of what looks like a classroom.

ERdept
10-18-2011, 5:41 PM
Funny.. I just figured the OP just posted something completely ignorant and then figured out that he sounded like a fool. Rather than just accept that he then decided that he meant to sound ignorant because he figured it's better to look like a troll rather than stupid.

Yes, you certainly know all. You've got the whole secret figured out. It's ok to be a troll or stupid both, less and more. No biggie. It's just a topic thread and you're welcome to label me or anyone else anything you want if it makes you feel better to label and codify things.

They say to never argue with a fool, because when someone passes by, they will not be able to tell who the fool is. Im not arguing with you, but you may be arguing with this fool.

Keep on and thank you for contributing.

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2011, 6:02 PM
Actually you labeled yourself.. didn't need my help ;)

ERdept
10-18-2011, 6:25 PM
Actually you labeled yourself.. didn't need my help ;)

Well, you really don't understand what Im saying.

I labelled myself and stated a quote, that a person who argues with a fool, ......

Meaning you argued with a self-labeled fool. So, I was dinging you in a round about way.

It's all been fun sparring though Steven.

See you at the range.

Don't shoot me though, there are targets to be had. :D

RRichie09
10-18-2011, 6:30 PM
OP maybe a great guy but the point of this thread seems to be so that he can feel superior of how he doesn't get emotional and how cool of a cat he is. Lots of self ego boosting.

In this thread, you're basically that kid that just tries to press people's buttons for his own enjoyment and when they get angry you sit back and say, "chill out dude." Lots of people got mad and emotional as you stated, but re-read the thread. A lot more people got mad at you for being a punk not because you called their rifle tacticool.

I just have one question, what was the point?

ERdept
10-18-2011, 6:50 PM
OP maybe a great guy but the point of this thread seems to be so that he can feel superior of how he doesn't get emotional and how cool of a cat he is. Lots of self ego boosting.

In this thread, you're basically that kid that just tries to press people's buttons for his own enjoyment and when they get angry you sit back and say, "chill out dude." Lots of people got mad and emotional as you stated, but re-read the thread. A lot more people got mad at you for being a punk not because you called their rifle tacticool.

I just have one question, what was the point?

As stated many, many times, and see above. There is NO point to any of this, to really anything we take as interests.

So we must mechanically make them important. We must contrive means to discuss things. Things that are individually important to us in terms of hobbies, interests, etc.

The only real important things in life are family, your close relations and life itself.

The rest is all just fun.

The point of this thread was in the original post....

It's just to discuss rifles, and why some are designed to look a certain way, but in reality are way to heavy to move.

You didn't read that on the first post?

The rest occurred when people had to label the thread this, or that. I just asked that it move away from emotionality and to discuss why people devise rifles for certain reasons.

Again, please re-re re-read this.

There is NO point, but discussion. If you do not like, it, do not discuss.

It's like not liking a certain radio station. You don't have to burn it down. Just don't listen.

But when I speak is dis-passion and maintaining un-emotionality, it was in address of people, who get heated for really no particular reason.

Don't lose to much emotion or stress on this. Put it into perspective. It's just electronic media, and not important to your family, or life, and no reason to be stressed or overly concerned about.

But I marvel at the fact that people get so hot. It's interesting. Also, I never called anyone's rifle tacticool. Re-re read the posts.

Again, thank you for talking.

RRichie09
10-18-2011, 6:56 PM
Of course I read the first post. You say you're unemotional but that first post if full of emotion. Again, you post something emotional to stir people up and now you hide behind, "I just wanted to start a discussion and I don't care." Re-read your first post, you do seem to care and the topic seems to irratate you.

I'm not emotional about what you said. I don't even have an optic on my AR and enjoy shooting my simple rifle. I was just hoping to make you realize what you did wasn't really cool but I see that my words are falling on deaf ears. So much for a discussion.

What I meant when I asked you what was the point, is: what was the point in starting this thread, but it seems I was right in my assumptions in my previous post.

I bet your a good guy and fun to hang around with, but once again the internet proves that people act different and say things when they are behind the screen. Or do you approach people at the range and tell them your opinions about their rifles?

ERdept
10-18-2011, 7:03 PM
Of course I read the first post. You say you're unemotional but that first post if full of emotion. Again, you post something emotional to stir people up and now you hide behind, "I just wanted to start a discussion and I don't care." Re-read your first post, you do seem to care and the topic seems to irratate you.

I'm not emotional about what you said. I don't even have an optic on my AR and enjoy shooting my simple rifle. I was just hoping to make you realize what you did wasn't really cool but I see that my words are falling on deaf ears. So much for a discussion.

What I meant when I asked you what was the point, is: what was the point in starting this thread, but it seems I was right in my assumptions in my previous post.

I bet your a good guy and fun to hang around with, but once again the internet proves that people act different and say things when they are behind the screen. Or do you approach people at the range and tell them your opinions about their rifles?

Im a very fun and good guy (self-proclaimed), as well as the other self-proclaimed things.

Interesting question. Why do you ask? Let's move to PM. I'll but up for only another 90 minutes though, and I can't answer right away cause Im going to head to the 7-12 market fer some bears. You know, one of the old 7-11's that got bought out and has the same green motif.

cheers:D

Inquirer
10-18-2011, 7:24 PM
As stated many, many times, and see above. There is NO point to any of this, to really anything we take as interests.

So we must mechanically make them important. We must contrive means to discuss things. Things that are individually important to us in terms of hobbies, interests, etc.

The only real important things in life are family, your close relations and life itself.

That's all well and zen, but... It doesn't, unfortunately, make your first post anything other than a non-open-ended, non-discussion. There's no question, no room for anyone's opinion other than your own, nothing.

It's just to discuss rifles, and why some are designed to look a certain way, but in reality are way to heavy to move.

You didn't read that on the first post?

No.

But I marvel at the fact that people get so hot. It's interesting. Also, I never called anyone's rifle tacticool. Re-re read the posts.

Rereading... Rereading... Rereading. Aaaand here we go:

Honestly, I have no problem with you disliking somebody else's choice in making their gun. But please, don't pretend like you just started this thread as some open discussion/social experiment that you plan to just sit back and watch like a nice cozy fire. To a community of tacticool fanatics, you said something really stupid: "Hey! I don't like tacticool guns!" But guess what?

Nobody cares.

And your post was also self-defeating. "Hey! Your rifle's too heavy to bring into the field!" Guess what? If they're just going to the range with it, you could carry it with a goddamned forklift and it'd be okay.

Either way, your opinion is fine, but don't try to backpedal with the "Reread my thread! I just like making conversation" defense. It smells suspiciously like the I-5 around Coalinga.

--Inq

ERdept
10-18-2011, 7:26 PM

PM sent and recieved. Nice talking with you.

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2011, 7:28 PM
To a community of tacticool fanatics, you said something really stupid: "Hey! I don't like tacticool guns!" But guess what?

Nobody cares.

And your post was also self-defeating. "Hey! Your rifle's too heavy to bring into the field!" Guess what? If they're just going to the range with it, you could carry it with a goddamned forklift and it'd be okay.

Either way, your opinion is fine, but don't try to backpedal with the "Reread my thread! I just like making conversation" defense. It smells suspiciously like the I-5 around Coalinga.

--Inq

Worth quoting... lol

ERdept
10-18-2011, 7:30 PM
That's all well and zen, but... It doesn't, unfortunately, make your first post anything other than a non-open-ended, non-discussion. There's no question, no room for anyone's opinion other than your own, nothing.

No.

Rereading... Rereading... Rereading. Aaaand here we go:

Honestly, I have no problem with you disliking somebody else's choice in making their gun. But please, don't pretend like you just started this thread as some open discussion/social experiment that you plan to just sit back and watch like a nice cozy fire. To a community of tacticool fanatics, you said something really stupid: "Hey! I don't like tacticool guns!" But guess what?

Nobody cares.

--Inq

You are correct and as i stated. Nobody cares. It's all just talk.

But what matters is to contribute to discussion.

If you'd like to be friends, please PM and we can get to know one another.

We are after all brothers in this gun community.

ERdept
10-18-2011, 7:31 PM
Worth quoting... lol

Thanks guys. It's quite easy and enjoyable to engage you.

Did you hear that sound? My bike is back peddling!:D

If you guys ever are at the Tilted Kilt in Long Beach, lemme know. I'll buy you a round.

I mean that.

smittty
10-18-2011, 8:58 PM
Thanks guys. It's quite easy and enjoyable to engage you.

Did you hear that sound? My bike is back peddling!:D

If you guys ever are at the Tilted Kilt in Long Beach, lemme know. I'll buy you a round.

I mean that.

A round of what? Some ammo is more expensive than others!

Calplinker
10-18-2011, 9:32 PM

THAT'S THE REALITY OF SOME OF YOU GUY'S "TACTICAL RIFLES". They're benchrest rifles under the moniker of being cool....

25 pounds?!?!?!?!?

Heck, my .308 AR is about 12-13 pounds with scope and I think that is WAY too heavy to tote, not that I ever have any place to tote it to other than from my vehicle to the shooting bench at my local range.

Didn't read the thread. Too long, I don't care, and well, I'm sure there's a cat fight (or nine) in there somewhere.

Nevertheless, who the heck has a "tactical rifle" that is 25 pounds?!?!?!? Geez, what would you put on it to make it that darn heavy????

ERdept
10-18-2011, 10:26 PM
A round of what? Some ammo is more expensive than others!

BEERs BABY!

Dave A
10-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Some interesting posts on weight here. My varmint AR weighs 15 lbs with a full ten round mag and I thought that was heavy. Since it only gets shot off a bench, or a stand, that is not a problem. No components were chosen to save weight, but it just didn't add up to anything eye opening, not that I would want to carry it a few miles.

RRichie09
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Some interesting posts on weight here. My varmint AR weighs 15 lbs with a full ten round mag and I thought that was heavy. Since it only gets shot off a bench, or a stand, that is not a problem. No components were chosen to save weight, but it just didn't add up to anything eye opening, not that I would want to carry it a few miles.

How does it weight 15 pounds? Is it a heavy profile 24" barrel with a 20" rail and stainless steel stock? haha

monk
10-18-2011, 11:15 PM
25 pounds?!?!?!?!?

Heck, my .308 AR is about 12-13 pounds with scope and I think that is WAY too heavy to tote, not that I ever have any place to tote it to other than from my vehicle to the shooting bench at my local range.

Didn't read the thread. Too long, I don't care, and well, I'm sure there's a cat fight (or nine) in there somewhere.

Nevertheless, who the heck has a "tactical rifle" that is 25 pounds?!?!?!? Geez, what would you put on it to make it that darn heavy????

Would a master key be considered tactical? I imagine that's a pretty heavy beast.

$P-Ritch$
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
How does it weight 15 pounds? Is it a heavy profile 24" barrel with a 20" rail and stainless steel stock? haha

You gave me an idea for my next long range sniper/CQB warrior build.:shuriken:

motorwerks
10-18-2011, 11:26 PM
If your rifle is to heavy..... More PT is in order. :D

Knife Edge
10-19-2011, 1:50 AM

Troll.

Dave A
10-19-2011, 9:59 PM
"How does it weight 15 pounds? Is it a heavy profile 24" barrel with a 20" rail and stainless steel stock? haha"

Yes, sort of - 24" heavy SS barrel, no fluting - Mega machine upper w/side handle slot - Magpul PRS stock - YHM fore end - Harris bipod - Ergo grip - Leopold 6.5x20 varmint scope - the rest is just std stuff with no diff in weight.

RRichie09
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
"How does it weight 15 pounds? Is it a heavy profile 24" barrel with a 20" rail and stainless steel stock? haha"

Yes, sort of - 24" heavy SS barrel, no fluting - Mega machine upper w/side handle slot - Magpul PRS stock - YHM fore end - Harris bipod - Ergo grip - Leopold 6.5x20 varmint scope - the rest is just std stuff with no diff in weight.

That''ll do it haha.

whisperingdoom
10-25-2011, 10:07 PM
looks like i missed the circle jerk..

pyro3k2
10-25-2011, 10:19 PM
looks like i missed the circle jerk..

it wasn't that great of one, this really should have been a fun "laugh at my tacticool set-up" picture thread but it failed.