PDA

View Full Version : shipping rifle to ffl

JanG
10-16-2011, 2:05 AM
i've tried searching for a thread on this but can's seem to find it, although i only looked at the first 5 pages of the search results.

anyway, if i was to ship a rifle to an out of state ffl, do i need to ship it through a california ffl or can i box it up and drop it off the local fedex store?

i've tried google as well, but i can't seem to get a definite answer to this.

heycorey
10-16-2011, 5:38 AM
You can ship a gun (without going through a CA FFL) if you're shipping it to an FFL or to yourself (your name as the shipper/receiver). But you can't ship any firearm through a retail center for either FedEX or UPS. You have to go to an official Shipping Hub.

While not a requirement of either FedEX or UPS, I'd recommend asking the FFL to email you a copy of their FFL license, print it out and bring it with you to the shipping hub. On occasion, the shipping person working the counter will get pretty self-righteous about shipping guns and ask for proof that the addressee is an FFL. I even throw another copy of the FFL in the gun-case, in case the shipper "loses" the gun ... which has happened to me before.

JanG
10-16-2011, 9:32 PM
thanks a bunch

ohlone
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
thanks for the info, i was about to ask the same question...

just want to know, if the shipping company loses the package, what should we do?

also since the handgun is registered in CA, do i need to do anything extra if i ship it out of state to a ffl? (and then a friend will pick it up there and do whatever paperwork they need to do there to transfer it to the friend), un-register it in CA?

You can ship a gun (without going through a CA FFL) if you're shipping it to an FFL or to yourself (your name as the shipper/receiver). But you can't ship any firearm through a retail center for either FedEX or UPS. You have to go to an official Shipping Hub.

While not a requirement of either FedEX or UPS, I'd recommend asking the FFL to email you a copy of their FFL license, print it out and bring it with you to the shipping hub. On occasion, the shipping person working the counter will get pretty self-righteous about shipping guns and ask for proof that the addressee is an FFL. I even throw another copy of the FFL in the gun-case, in case the shipper "loses" the gun ... which has happened to me before.

Nathan Krynn
10-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Also put in a copy of your valid DL with your correct address so they can log it the firearm.

heycorey
10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
thanks for the info, i was about to ask the same question...

just want to know, if the shipping company loses the package, what should we do?

also since the handgun is registered in CA, do i need to do anything extra if i ship it out of state to a ffl? (and then a friend will pick it up there and do whatever paperwork they need to do there to transfer it to the friend), un-register it in CA?

It's a rare event for UPS/FedEx to lose a package. If a package has two shipping labels (or a single label that gets damaged), the package goes to the shipper's resolution center. They're pretty good at deciphering damaged labels. I always cover my printed labels with clear shipping tape to make it more stain/damage resistant. But if all else fails, they can open the package and look for ownership clues. A copy of an FFL in the gun case will help with that. In my case, the FFL shipped a rifle back to me and left a previously (though recent) used UPS label on it; so two valid labels. UPS figured it out, eventually. But it can be pretty frustrating/alarming when a $4K rifle goes ... missing. I have to say, once I made it clear that it was a missing gun, that got their immediate attention.

I wouldn't really worry that much about a shipper losing stuff, but if you've got a firearm that's valuable to you, then insure it for it's value. Beyond that, the best you can do is to put a trace on the package. If it's being shipped back to you, the FFL (the original shipper) has to do the trace.

Handguns are a special case. Non-FFLs are required to ship a handgun via overnight carrier ... at least UPS requires that. I'm not even sure if FedEX will ship handguns. Also, if you ship a handgun (or any firearm), make sure there's no ammo in the same shipping container.

I don't know about "unregistering" a handgun (in CA) for an out of state sale ... I don't think there is such a thing; certainly not for long guns. But I've only done a few handgun PPT's here in CA. As noted, the FFL receiving the firearm (for transfer) will require you to send a copy of your valid driver's license ... along with any other requirements a given state might have.

someR1
10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
It's a rare event for UPS/FedEx to lose a package.

LMFAO ...you're joking, right ? :facepalm:

bloodhawke83
10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
go through the FFL, going to the shipping company will charge you an arm and a leg.

heycorey
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
LMFAO ...you're joking, right ? :facepalm:

Can't speak for non firearm-related items ... but if UPS or FedEX went about losing guns on a regular basis, do you think maybe the ATF/Federal Government might have a problem with that? I'll bet there are thousands of guns transiting through their systems every day ... and you're thinking they lose lots of those?

You're joking, right?

someR1
10-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Can't speak for non firearm-related items ... but if UPS or FedEX went about losing guns on a regular basis, do you think maybe the ATF/Federal Government might have a problem with that? I'll bet there are thousands of guns transiting through their systems every day ... and you're thinking they lose lots of those?

You're joking, right?

do you work for either company? Cause if you don't, you clearly don't know what goes on.

heycorey
10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
do you work for either company? Cause if you don't, you clearly don't know what goes on.

Clearly ... good thing you're here to straighten me out.

someR1
10-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Clearly ... good thing you're here to straighten me out.

Just sayin', you made it sound like nothing ever got lost. Either way, the only thing you can do is "insure" it. And even if you buy the "insurance", UPS/FedEx are not liable for losing your gun, and they don't HAVE to pay you back anything.

seainc
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Try USPS Priority mail with delivery confirmation and put address label on all sides of box.