PDA

View Full Version : Free outdoor areas to shoot

DrRobert
10-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I hope this is the correct place to put this but I want to get in the car, drive somewhere and shot some cheap bird shot in the middle on no-where. Any suggestions. I live in Orange and want to keep this within about an hour. I just want to go shoot and don't want to be bothered. Any suggestions?

-DR

sholling
10-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Not for free. I only know of one shotgun range within an hour of Orange and it's not free. The area has grown up and there are only a couple of shotgun friendly ranges within a couple of hours and most of them require annual memberships.

There is a range forum and you might try asking there.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=115

DavidR310
10-15-2011, 11:19 PM
An hour? No way.

Make it 2 and then ok.

http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

problemchild
10-16-2011, 6:16 AM
And the amount of gas you will use to get to the desert wont be FREE

kemasa
10-16-2011, 6:27 AM
One aspect to paid places is that anyone will go there. As the OP said, he does not want to be bothered.

The last time I shot at Angeles, which was many years ago, there was a person who kept going to his gun during the range clear time. he range master just kept telling him to put the gun down and step back. To me, the first time is a warning, the second time you are off the range for a bit, the third time you can never come back. In this case, it was all within an hour. Due to that type of thing, I prefer to go where I can control who I shoot with. There have been issues at other ranges as well.

r3dn3ck
10-16-2011, 6:55 AM
you'll want to find some BLM land up in the desert.

Sanderhawk
10-16-2011, 7:34 AM
I hope this is the correct place to put this but I want to get in the car, drive somewhere and shot some cheap bird shot in the middle on no-where. Any suggestions. I live in Orange and want to keep this within about an hour. I just want to go shoot and don't want to be bothered. Any suggestions?

-DR

I also live in Orange. I go out to calico to go shooting. Its about 1 1/2- 2 hrs but you can shoot whatever you want wherever you want then we go offroading and mine exploring to make a day of it. Make it worth the gas and stay all day.

DavidR310
10-17-2011, 2:02 AM
I also live in Orange. I go out to calico to go shooting. Its about 1 1/2- 2 hrs but you can shoot whatever you want wherever you want then we go offroading and mine exploring to make a day of it. Make it worth the gas and stay all day.

Where is this mine you speak of? If you don't mine lol this would be cool to check out.

Spelunker
10-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I think hes talking about Calico Ghost Town. The area around it has lots of mines and open areas for shooting. The town itself has been redone and you pay to get in but all the area around you can shoot.

DavidR310
10-17-2011, 4:57 PM
I think hes talking about Calico Ghost Town. The area around it has lots of mines and open areas for shooting. The town itself has been redone and you pay to get in but all the area around you can shoot.

I've been there a few times on the way back from Vegas. Does that mean I can park in the lot and hike up to the mines in the hills?