PDA

View Full Version : Crap, Lost My Bullet Button Spring

goodlookin1
10-15-2011, 7:57 PM
Anyone know where I can get a new one? Assault Planet doesnt sell them individually....all I need is that dang spring. I went all over town today trying to find one: TDS Guns (doesnt sell them individually), Sacramento Black Rifle, Lowes, Radio Shack, Ace Hardware, Autozone, etc. NOBODY SELLS ANY FREAKIN SPRINGS!!!! I figured I'd be able to get one to match pretty closely, but this is ridiculous! What is the deal with hardware stores these days?

I'm prolly gonna end up having to buy a completely new bullet button kit, all for that blasted spring! $20 for a dang spring!

Sheesh...

CK_32
10-15-2011, 8:00 PM
Ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-SMALL-METAL-LOOSE-STEEL-COIL-SPRINGS-ASSORTMENT-KIT-/290503233298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3578f12

Me and my dad always shop ebay for random crap like that. Seems to be the only place to find most small stuff these days.

Dave A
10-15-2011, 8:02 PM
Go to the hardware store, it is just a spring to put tension on the button. Look at one in a kit if you can, or on a buddy's rifle, measure it and get the closest one, or buy several that are close. It does not need a lot of tension.

johnthomas
10-15-2011, 8:03 PM
Have you taken a ball point pen apart and looked to see if you can cut it to length yet?

CSACANNONEER
10-15-2011, 8:03 PM
Have you contacted AP and specifically asked Darin if he could get you a spring? OR, did you just look at the website? I'm willing to bet that AP's customer service department can help you out.

G38xOC
10-15-2011, 8:05 PM
im sure someone has a spare laying around here .

Calif Mini
10-15-2011, 8:08 PM
Not sure the exact size but..................

Go to your local hardware store and find a 1/4" (outside diameter) spring with a wire thickness of .030" to .035" and about 5/8" long. If needed, get a longer one and simply cut it to length and shape the end to look like the uncut end.

Home Depot, Lowes, any auto parts store and your Ace store should have a selection of simple springs.

You should be good to go. Maybe if the pressure of your new spring is more or less than you want, try a different wire thickness.

The number of coils per inch also dictates the spring rate.
Keep in mind this is only a spring. You should be back in business for a buck.

Hope this gets you started.

goodlookin1
10-15-2011, 8:46 PM
Thanks guys.

I tried lowes and they had absolutely nothing. I was actually astonished. Called up ace, they said they had nothing smaller than 1/2" in diameter.

Johnthomas, your ballpoint pen idea ALMOST worked. I had a pen that had pretty much the right size, but the gauge was just a little too thin. It was getting caught in the threads of the mag catch :( Thanks though!

I just emailed Craig at AP to see if they had some extras that they could sell me. I'm sure he can help me out, but I was hoping for a quick solution!

Looks like I'll just hafta go shooting with an illegal assault weapon for the weekend....

JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously, my lower is in parts right now :(

Speedpower
10-15-2011, 8:48 PM
Have you taken a ball point pen apart and looked to see if you can cut it to length yet?

:facepalm: :rofl2:

0351USMC
10-15-2011, 8:50 PM
PM Prince50;)

secret.asian.man
10-15-2011, 8:56 PM
ar-15.com (http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=394068) member says their bullet button spring specs is 1/4" OD x 5/8" Long and according to riflegear.com (http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-ar15-bullet-button.aspx) the spring is made of carbon spring steel wire

jgraham15
10-15-2011, 9:01 PM
Thanks guys.

I tried lowes and they had absolutely nothing. I was actually astonished. Called up ace, they said they had nothing smaller than 1/2" in diameter.

Johnthomas, your ballpoint pen idea ALMOST worked. I had a pen that had pretty much the right size, but the gauge was just a little too thin. It was getting caught in the threads of the mag catch :( Thanks though!

I just emailed Craig at AP to see if they had some extras that they could sell me. I'm sure he can help me out, but I was hoping for a quick solution!

Looks like I'll just hafta go shooting with an illegal assault weapon for the weekend....

JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously, my lower is in parts right now :(

I don't know where you are located but if you really need one for tomorrow I can let you borrow one of mine.

goodlookin1
10-15-2011, 9:05 PM
I don't know where you are located but if you really need one for tomorrow I can let you borrow one of mine.

I really appreciate it, but I dont need it tomorrow....I was just kidding about going out shooting, and especially the AW part.

I'm in Rocklin (SAC) area, but i'm in no rush. If you're in the area and have an extra one, that would be awesome, but it's certainly not an emergency.

lwbyo1
10-15-2011, 9:06 PM
You're so lucky I kept the extra one I had. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you Monday.

jgraham15
10-15-2011, 9:15 PM
I really appreciate it, but I dont need it tomorrow....I was just kidding about going out shooting, and especially the AW part.

I'm in Rocklin (SAC) area, but i'm in no rush. If you're in the area and have an extra one, that would be awesome, but it's certainly not an emergency.

Actually I'm in So-Cal. If I had an extra I'd just mail it to you but for some reason I never thought about having an extra one of those springs. I guess I need to go find a couple.

lwbyo1
10-15-2011, 9:27 PM
Actually I'm in So-Cal. If I had an extra I'd just mail it to you but for some reason I never thought about having an extra one of those springs. I guess I need to go find a couple.

The only reason I have an "extra" one, is I lost the housing part of it after my bench grinder shot it out the garage door :facepalm: . It wouldn't fit right in a Fulton Armory 308 lower, so I was trying to modify it. What can I say, S#!* happens.

jgraham15
10-15-2011, 9:48 PM
The only reason I have an "extra" one, is I lost the housing part of it after my bench grinder shot it out the garage door :facepalm: . It wouldn't fit right in a Fulton Armory 308 lower, so I was trying to modify it. What can I say, S#!* happens.

Sorry but that's funny sh*t!!! :D

It's funnier because that's something that would happen to me :facepalm:

lwbyo1
10-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Sorry but that's funny sh*t!!! :D

It's funnier because that's something that would happen to me :facepalm:

Yeah, I can laugh about it now. But I sure was cursing up a storm for about an hour afterwards while looking for it.

Peter.Steele
10-16-2011, 8:20 AM
Spring assortment at Home Depot. (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100142075/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) Worth getting, just to have around. It's got a LOT of tiny little springs of various sizes.

goodlookin1
10-16-2011, 8:48 PM
You're so lucky I kept the extra one I had. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you Monday.

You're awesome man! Thanks. PM inbound.

bloodhawke83
10-16-2011, 8:50 PM
Anyone know where I can get a new one? Assault Planet doesnt sell them individually....all I need is that dang spring. I went all over town today trying to find one: TDS Guns (doesnt sell them individually), Sacramento Black Rifle, Lowes, Radio Shack, Ace Hardware, Autozone, etc. NOBODY SELLS ANY FREAKIN SPRINGS!!!! I figured I'd be able to get one to match pretty closely, but this is ridiculous! What is the deal with hardware stores these days?

I'm prolly gonna end up having to buy a completely new bullet button kit, all for that blasted spring! $20 for a dang spring!

Sheesh...

did you go in store at Sacramento Black Rifle? they don't have all the little stuff online.

goodlookin1
10-17-2011, 7:14 AM
did you go in store at Sacramento Black Rifle? they don't have all the little stuff online.

Ya, they only sell Radlock....I think they're anti-AP because of an issue where people get their bullet buttons stuck because they twist in the nut too far down and cant get it out. I personally dont like the radlock.

bloodhawke83
10-17-2011, 7:48 AM
Ya, they only sell Radlock....I think they're anti-AP because of an issue where people get their bullet buttons stuck because they twist in the nut too far down and cant get it out. I personally dont like the radlock.

What is that? :confused:

lwbyo1
10-17-2011, 1:33 PM
It's on the way. You'll probably get it by Wednesday, so have fun shooting this weekend.

Peter.Steele
10-17-2011, 4:11 PM

That's me right there. Not sure how it happened, since I used the BB tool to install it ... but I can't use the BB tool to get it off again.