PDA

View Full Version : Which compensator/ brake is best for me?

mreed
10-15-2011, 6:47 PM
I'm looking into getting a compensator / brake for my new AR-15 build. It would have to be pinned on and over 1.5 inch because it will be going onto an BCM LW carbine 14.5". I have been considering the battlecomp 1.5 because from reviews I have read it is a great comp, and is ready to be pinned, but it is a little pricey, I really don't know much other options as I've never used anything more than a A2 flash hider. What would you guys reccomend? I'd like to get something that's not really pricey, but if it's a great product, I'd like to go for it. Just looking to get some input on this. Thanks calgunners

mreed
10-15-2011, 7:04 PM
I'm looking into getting a compensator / brake for my new AR-15 build. It would have to be pinned on and over 1.5 inch because it will be going onto an BCM LW carbine 14.5". I have been considering the battlecomp 1.5 because from reviews I have read it is a great comp, and is ready to be pinned, but it is a little pricey, I really don't know much other options as I've never used anything more than a A2 flash hider. What would you guys reccomend? I'd like to get something that's not really pricey, but if it's a great product, I'd like to go for it. Just looking to get some input on this. Thanks calgunners

tiger222
10-15-2011, 7:27 PM
A full on brake on a 14.5 is loud - I'd recommend a flash hider- extended A2 or a vortex style. If you must have a brake get one with low concussion.

mreed
10-15-2011, 9:20 PM
what ones would you say are low concussion? how loud would you say we are talking?

TheHammerOfTruth
10-15-2011, 11:55 PM
OP, before anyone elses says it, why just not go with a 16" barrel and leave yourself the option of changing brakes at any time. Pinning is permanant and will cause you grief if you ever need to change out your front sight post or gas block, The 14.5" barrel has no advantages over the 16". I would reconsider your purchase unless you already have the upper. If not, the Battle Comp is great, works and has the cool factor.

FatalKitty
10-15-2011, 11:58 PM
it is impossible for us to decide what comp is good for you when you provide little to no detail on what the purpose of the weapon is, what your price range is, and what your experience is.

what works for one shooter in a 3gun setting will NOT work for another shooter that may require more flash suppression than a dedicated brake.

please give us more information.

jgraham15
10-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Rainier Arms XTC

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/rainier-arms-xtc/868w9547-1024-stick.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/rainier-arms-xtc/ra-comp-5-mt.jpg

I've been using the 6.8 SPC version of this brake on all of my 6.8 AR builds and it has impressed the heck out of me. Does a great job of reducing muzzle rise and makes for very quick follow up shots!

I haven't tried it in .223/5.56 yet but I would imagine it should do just as well. It is ready to be pinned to a 14.5" barrel to bring it to legal length and at $57 it is a heck of a deal in my opinion.

Here's a link to it at Rainier Arms

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1684

And a review from Military Times Gear Scout

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/05/24/rainier-arms-xtc-xtreme-tactical-compensator/

Note: The discount code in the review doesn't seem to work anymore as I ordered one of these for one of my 5.56 AR's the other day and couldn't get the code to work.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 12:29 AM
If its just a range toy I'd just get a flash hider.

I recently bought a PWS FC556, but I have a 16 inch barrel and I just wanted to try it out. If its not what I'm expecting I can swap it out. For you, you are pretty much stuck. Once its pinned on, it is very hard or sometimes impossible to remove the muzzle device without destroying it.

If you think you really want a brake, I'd suggest trying some out if possible before having anything pinned on.

jgraham15
10-16-2011, 12:47 AM
It's really not that hard to remove a permanently attached muzzle device! A decent drill, a good drill bit, a little patience and a decent vise and you should have no problems. You may ruin the muzzle device but even if you accidentally drill a hole through the barrel it won't screw it up like you might think.

Check out this info from ADCO

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/550125_Hey_ADCO__I_ruined_my_barrel_removing_a_per med_on_flash_hider__Can_you_fix_it_.html&page=1

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 12:52 AM
It's really not that hard to remove a permanently attached muzzle device! A decent drill, a good drill bit, a little patience and a decent vise and you should have no problems. You may ruin the muzzle device but even if you accidentally drill a hole through the barrel it won't screw it up like you might think.

Check out this info from ADCO

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/550125_Hey_ADCO__I_ruined_my_barrel_removing_a_per med_on_flash_hider__Can_you_fix_it_.html&page=1

I said its hard to remove without destorying the muzzle device. Not that it was hard to remove. And I prefer the number of holes in my barrels to be exactly three.

mreed
10-16-2011, 2:53 AM
thanks for the info everybody, i will take all into consideration and im gonna check out that Rainer arms brake. might be a possibility

jgraham15
10-16-2011, 3:27 AM
I said its hard to remove without destorying the muzzle device. Not that it was hard to remove. And I prefer the number of holes in my barrels to be exactly three.

Actually my post wasn't directed at you. If it was I promise I would have quoted you! I prefer the number of holes in my barrel to be exactly three also. Personally I would never buy a 14.5" or 14.7" barrel because I don't want a muzzle device permanently attached to any of my barrels.

I was just trying to point out to anybody reading this thread that removing a permanently attached muzzle device isn't a difficult a task. I see a lot of posts on this forum and other forums I'm on that make it sound like it's a big pain in the butt and you have to send your barrel to a gunsmith to do it.

I have removed 8 or 9 of them for people over the last year and a half or so and I only screwed up the first muzzle device I removed. It seems like a bunch of my friends "need" to have the latest and greatest muzzle device but they also "need" to have a 14.5" barrel. Removing one is really just a matter of patience, having some decent tools and most of all a good drill bit.

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 3:58 AM
Actually my post wasn't directed at you. If it was I promise I would have quoted you! I prefer the number of holes in my barrel to be exactly three also.

I totally thought you were talking to me, sorry. Three is the magic number, isn't it?. :D

jgraham15
10-16-2011, 4:08 AM
I totally thought you were talking to me, sorry. Three is the magic number, isn't it?. :D

Actually I'm sorry, I should have made it more clear in the first place.

Three is the magic number! If I drilled an extra hole in a barrel I would have to replace it. It would always bother me just knowing it was there whether or not it actually affected anything.

Don29palms
10-16-2011, 9:37 AM
Compensators and brakes are loud. REALLY LOUD!

starsnuffer
10-16-2011, 9:43 AM
Compensators and brakes are loud. REALLY LOUD!

Not all. I have a battlecomp 2.0 on my MR556, it is exactly as loud as an A2. It does not reduce recoil, actually, it increases recoil slightly, however that recoil is straight back with no muzzle rise or flip, so it's very easy to control.

If you're trying to reduce recoil, it's not the comp for you, but it's 5.56, so. . ..

-W

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Not all. I have a battlecomp 2.0 on my MR556, it is exactly as loud as an A2. It does not reduce recoil, actually, it increases recoil slightly, however that recoil is straight back with no muzzle rise or flip, so it's very easy to control.

If you're trying to reduce recoil, it's not the comp for you, but it's 5.56, so. . ..

-W

if it doesn't reduce recoil... WHY THE HECK are you calling it a comp/brake? that is the primary purpose of a comp

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 11:45 AM
if it doesn't reduce recoil... WHY THE HECK are you calling it a comp/brake? that is the primary purpose of a comp

Cause it reduces muzzle climb.

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Cause it reduces muzzle climb.

OK so it redirects recoil... same thing :rolleyes:

RRichie09
10-16-2011, 11:56 AM
OK so it redirects recoil... same thing :rolleyes:

So that is why its called a compensator. :facepalm:

Bobby Hated
10-17-2011, 7:18 AM
i cant believe people are knocking comps for being "loud". man up gentlemen! this aint an airsoft forum.

for what its worth i have a battlecomp on my 3-gun 18"er. love it. absolutely no flash hide though.

im also familiar with pri mstn and jp comps. theyre on alot of 3-gun competitors rifles.

that ranier arms comp seems to have a three prong flash hider on the end? how could that work when the comp ports flash out the sides? is that a stupid design or what?

Bobby Hated
10-17-2011, 7:20 AM
oh and jgraham15 has the absolute best profile pic ever.

OHW
10-17-2011, 7:47 AM
Ares armour Effin-A comp is the best out there now.

jgraham15
10-17-2011, 8:03 AM
i cant believe people are knocking comps for being "loud". man up gentlemen! this aint an airsoft forum.

for what its worth i have a battlecomp on my 3-gun 18"er. love it. absolutely no flash hide though.

im also familiar with pri mstn and jp comps. theyre on alot of 3-gun competitors rifles.

that ranier arms comp seems to have a three prong flash hider on the end? how could that work when the comp ports flash out the sides? is that a stupid design or what?

It's actually a design that's proven itself to work fairly good. That's why other companies are using the same basic design. I believe it was PWS that was first to market the design though (FSC556)

First one I can remember was the FSC556

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/c56dbf6c70d16e3c52ab1359ca66a2f4.jpg
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=821

Also the AAC 5.56MM Brakeout 51T Compensator

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/29673281abf8a23afa1d6c8eb266f3d4.jpg
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1912

And to easily show the similarities of them to the Rainier Arms XTC here's the pic of that one again

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/39f8a57663b781ca31cee120ac5f8135.jpg

jgraham15
10-17-2011, 8:12 AM
Ares armour Effin-A comp is the best out there now.

It sure looks cool! I need to get one of my friends to buy one so I can try it out. :D

OHW
10-17-2011, 8:20 AM
Where you at? Mine is waiting to get shot.

jgraham15
10-17-2011, 8:23 AM
I'm in So-Cal, Granada hills (Pretty close to magic mountain). Where are you located?

OHW
10-17-2011, 8:25 AM
Dang as close asI shoot towards you is Lytle Creek.

jgraham15
10-17-2011, 8:34 AM
Dang as close asI shoot towards you is Lytle Creek.

That's not too bad for me. I wouldn't mind driving out there to do some shooting! I find out Thursday if I need knee surgery (crashed my motorcycle) and if I don't I'll send you a PM and figure out when you may want to meet up. It will probably be at least a month before I can drive though. My right knee if pretty trashed at the moment :(

21SF
10-17-2011, 9:18 AM
JP tactical Comp!!!

If its not loud it aint doing shiz.....lol

McCrown
10-17-2011, 9:22 AM
What I'm doing since I want a short barrel and can't decide on a muzzle device to use, and also still want the option in the future is going 16" with a thread protector.

SuperSet
10-17-2011, 9:29 AM
Please note that if you choose to go featureless, you'll want to steer clear of any flash hiders/compensators.

21SF
10-17-2011, 9:30 AM
Please note that if you choose to go featureless, you'll want to steer clear of any flash hiders/compensators.

FIXED

SuperSet
10-17-2011, 9:37 AM
I was referring to flash hider/compensator combos like the FSC556.

OHW
10-17-2011, 9:40 AM
For a 14.5 build the Ares Armour Effin-A makes great sense since you still have a threaded end after welding .

Knife Edge
10-17-2011, 9:46 AM
I was referring to flash hider/compensator combos like the FSC556.

Awesome!!