PDA

View Full Version : Building an AR - Takedown Pins???

straightshot
10-15-2011, 5:41 PM
Building an AR and looking to put quality parts into the lower/upper.
I did a lot of research on most components, but have NO idea what to do about the takedown pins... They have anti-roll pins, extended pins, push-button pins etc. Not looking to torture the gun in the desert or go through 100,000 rounds doing training, but would still like quality pins.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

OutlawStar
10-15-2011, 5:57 PM
Take down pins are only used in separating the upper half from the lower half. The cheap ones in the "value kits" are good enough for 99% of the users. The standard ones are good enough if you have a thumb nail to pull it out for disassemble. Some like the extended ones to pull them out rather than pushing then using their thumbnail. I didn't like these because its something else that sticks out from the lower and they cost more on top of the lower parts kit.

Anti-roll pins are for the trigger group, not take down pins. If you're building a lower, i can earnestly recommend the 2 stage trigger group from Rock river arms, or the palmetto state armory single stage kit. Huge value, great quality overall.

donking
10-15-2011, 6:28 PM
standard pins have worked fine for all of my builds.
:gene:

infernl
10-15-2011, 6:30 PM
Pins are pins... as long as they lock open/closed.
Don't over-think this...

chead
10-15-2011, 7:05 PM
Don't over-think this...

Totally off-topic, but this gif from your sig is awesome. Is there a larger size?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/SCINFERNL/RD/1430.gif

Cole125
10-15-2011, 7:09 PM
Don't over-think this...

I agree, use any decent lower parts kit and you are good to go.

wash
10-15-2011, 7:12 PM
I've never felt a need to upgrade the pins in my DPMS and Daniel Defense LPKs.

I do like to dress the ends of my detent pins so that the takedown pins push out a little easier but that is it.

Unless you are top loading, there is no real reason to open up the action quickly but the standard pins are pretty quick any way.

Seeker
10-15-2011, 7:18 PM
You can try Yankee Hill Machine's easy-pull take down pins.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-356-yankee-hill-machine-ez-pull-takedown-pin-set.aspx

But yeah, like a previous poster said above, dont stress over take down pins. As long as they can reliably hold your upper and lower together you should be fine.

If you wanna talk about other more crucial parts let us know.

FatalKitty
10-15-2011, 7:29 PM
the pins are made of metal.. they hold the upper on the lower.

don't worry about it and just stick the ones from the parts kit in there... it's a weapon, not a show car

h0use
10-15-2011, 8:44 PM
keep the stock pins they look clean and fit flush.

DK9mm
10-15-2011, 9:22 PM
You can try Yankee Hill Machine's easy-pull take down pins.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-356-yankee-hill-machine-ez-pull-takedown-pin-set.aspx

But yeah, like a previous poster said above, dont stress over take down pins. As long as they can reliably hold your upper and lower together you should be fine.

If you wanna talk about other more crucial parts let us know.

^^^^ +1 on the YHM. I have ones that you can have a ring on for quick disassembly....

jingerale
10-15-2011, 11:12 PM
I use an extended pin for the rear. I carry my rifle in a shorter discrete bag so I have to break it down a lot. The YHM pin work well.

RRichie09
10-15-2011, 11:14 PM
No real need for aftermarket takedown pins. Just use the ones that come with your lower parts kit (LPK). If later you want to "upgrade" them go ahead. It's not one of those things you'll say money by upgrading while you biuld it.

As everyone said, there really is no need for them. My Mega upper and lower are pretty tight but if I hold it a certain way I can "pop" the pins out enough to pull them out.

d1eSELxxxx
10-16-2011, 12:42 AM
yea, dont wanna bust your chops but infernl is correct. Try not to over think a part on the AR that doesnt really need any type of quality study. Now if your talking bout a whole BCG, then thats somethin else as that is pretty much the heart of your rifle. But any standard take down pins are gtg. just dont get wooden ones haha(if they even make those).

straightshot
10-16-2011, 5:52 PM
You guys are all awesome. thank you so much, my question has been answered!!