PDA

View Full Version : Chabot Oct 15-16th

Eljay
10-15-2011, 3:46 PM
We're all missing out - I dropped by briefly to drop off something (long story) and the flags were flying, looked like a full line of shooters, and a great instructor turnout too. I just got to watch for a minute as a couple of folks were gently corrected until I could safely chat with my wife and run back to the car.

The weather was perfect - clear skies but not too hot.

It's actually kind of cool just to watch the way it all works from behind the line. From a shooter's perspective you don't get the big picture and it's interesting how the instructors are watching everything (and I mean everything - walk up to the safety line at an Appleseed and see how many people make eye contact and nod at you and see if you look like you're there for a reason.) but also plopping down next to shooters and helping out if they see an opportunity. Very nice. Also very cool to see how excited the students were - you could tell they were progressing quick because they were all hustling to get to the next drill so they could get even better!

Twiggz
10-17-2011, 2:57 PM
Nice, I wanted to make it to this one but had my God Daughters Bday to go to. I plan to bring a couple of friends to the one in Dec. Rain or shine.

Eljay
10-17-2011, 3:08 PM
Here's the link to the after action report on their website: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25682.0

My wife definitely had a positive experience on Saturday, and just a massive improvement on her redcoats. Really more than I possibly could have expected in one day, and it's sure more pleasant for both of us not to have me constantly correcting her.

PurplePeople
10-17-2011, 7:45 PM
All the instructors were impressed with your wife's tenacity and focus, particularly considering the circumstances. Let her know we appreciated it. And make sure she comes back - there should be at least two Riflemen in every household. :D

Tim (aka Nero)

Eljay
10-17-2011, 8:03 PM
I will - and I heard you got your green hat?

PurplePeople
10-17-2011, 9:31 PM
:D :D :D :D

Sputnik
10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd just like to jump in and say a big thanks to Tim, Phil, John and all the other instructors! I learned more about marksmanship in two days than I would have thought possible. I really never expected to shoot a rifleman score after one Appleseed but it won't keep me from coming back again; after all a skill not polished soon loses its luster...then it gets rusty :(

V
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, I feel so bad not making a point to get the calguns screen names of you all so that I can put names to faces.

Eljay, I think I may have walked past you while you were sitting watching and I was packing my car, a chance to say hello missed.... darn. Sorry.

It was a great shoot and almost made my heart burst to see all those orange hats, locals who have attended and decided that they want to help spread the word. Chabot is now self sufficient and with everyones help can form a spring board for spreading into the bay area ranges just as we have done in other parts of California.

Please, if you haven't attended an Appleseed event, do yourself a favor and go. Dont' let any of the ideas that we teach "old style" not applicable to your "modern" firearms discipline, or that we teach "fundamentals" and that's too basic for you. Talk to the people who have been and find out why they want to help. Its firearms, its history, its tradition and heritage. Don't think its all just white guys talking about dead europeans and worshipping founding fathers and not applicable to you, an immigrant, from a different culture. Civil rights, natural rights, human rights, are universal and is what those guys in 1775 tripped over and championed, uniquely in time and place. Thats what we celebrate at Appleseed while having fun with firearms. Bring your family, bring your friends and have a blast.

And let me know your screename/real name if we've met so I can let this old brain put real people behind these avatars on here.

Cheers
Phil "V" - an immigrant, grateful and proud to now be an American and doing what I can to keep a unique tradition alive.

Eljay
10-18-2011, 2:31 PM
Probably wasn't me - I didn't get a chance to sit - I literally was just there for a few minutes dropping something off for my wife and had to run back to the car. I think the only person I spoke to other than my wife was Pat who had been keeping an eye out for me (she knew I was coming).

RolinCode3
10-18-2011, 5:35 PM
I'd just like to jump in and say a big thanks to Tim, Phil, John and all the other instructors! I learned more about marksmanship in two days than I would have thought possible. I really never expected to shoot a rifleman score after one Appleseed but it won't keep me from coming back again; after all a skill not polished soon loses its luster...then it gets rusty :(

+1...A big thanks to the instructors!

I also did not expect to shoot a qualifying score at my first Appleseed. I was glad to have had the pleasure to meet Phil and John since they are not locals, and I hope to become more involved with Appleseeds in the future.

winks
10-18-2011, 6:51 PM
It was an exceptional day and I too learnt far more than I expected, not only about the marksmanship but the interesting history as well.

The marksmanship training was thorough and intensive, just how I like it, plus I loved that there were a large number of instructors all of who were ready willing and able to provide advice and extra tips at any time.

I am already singing Appleseeds praises to everyone I know young and old, I will do it again as soon as I can, especially now I really want that rifleman's patch!

Thanks again to the Appleseed crew who were there and helped out, well done!