PDA

View Full Version : Support local shops?

Levetti
10-15-2011, 1:18 PM
I was wondering how many of you would rather pay extra to support your favorite shop, rather than searching the web and finding the best deal. With all the BS in California, I've been feeling like its my duty to support local shops even if it costs me more money. Am I just an idiot or do others feel that way too?

foxtrotuniformlima
10-15-2011, 1:26 PM
I bought my last pistol from a LGS. I buy most of my reloading stuff local.

roushstage2
10-15-2011, 1:31 PM
I will to a point. Depending on the price of what I'm buying, and how much more it is than online, I will buy it from them. I'm not spending an extra $50 on a $200 "whatever" to support a local shop. I don't have a large disposable income (hardly a disposable income at all really), so, blowing money to buy local isn't happening.

Merc1138
10-15-2011, 2:05 PM
In general I'll support local shops if the prices are competitive with what I could otherwise get online.

Regarding guns, I'm going to end up paying the equivalent of sales tax one way or another. Plus, if the cost of the gun locally is no better than the cost online plus the cheapest FFL transfer fee in the area, why buy online if it's something I could get locally anyway. You're paying the equivalent in sales tax one way or another on a new gun, and I wouldn't consider buying a used gun without having had it in my own hands first unless I was desperate to get some rare collectible.

Now for ammo and most accessories... I have yet to find any reliable local sources

Lone_Gunman
10-15-2011, 3:08 PM
I support shops because they offer good products, fair prices, and great customer service. If my local shop can do this I will support them, if not I won't.

Levetti
10-15-2011, 3:24 PM
I'd never say support a shop you don't like just because it's local, I'm talking about your favorite local shop. Out of the shops in my area there are a couple that I'd NEVER give any buisness to.

Ubermcoupe
10-15-2011, 3:42 PM
I only support the ones that support me. Great people/good prices/good conversation and I'm there, treat me like you don't want to see me than forget it...

greybeard
10-15-2011, 3:45 PM
Most gun purchases, actually in 30 years, I only brought one online. Ammo is normally online. Everything else depends on my mood or price. On accessories I have a 20% rule. If you can save that online, it is online

CSACANNONEER
10-15-2011, 3:46 PM
If you are talking about firearms, my favorite shops want be to get the best deal. I will always let them know what I can get it for somewhere else and see if they can match it or beat it. Of course, I'm talking about OTD price and not just the advertised price before shipping, taxes and fees. I've been known to spend a little more to support good shops and, good shops have been known to cut me a deal on something else at a later date because of this. However, if the price difference is too much, I've had local shops tell me to just go for the good deal.

Shellshocker66
10-15-2011, 4:24 PM
I have a couple local shops that are great on ammo prices. I have to search pretty hard to beat the prices of ordering online and sales tax is usually less then shipping. So I support those businesses.

I have a few shops for purchasing weapons, usually prices are Waaay better then online by the time you get done with shipping and transfer fees.

Accessories, well this is where I find shopping online is way better even with shipping. Some magazines, uppers, scopes, and etc there is more variety and way better prices.

So I guess I'm a little bit of both, local supporter and online shopper. I have a limited budget for my gun hobby so I need to make sure it is used wisely.

Oceanbob
10-15-2011, 4:26 PM
I buy local. I spread my money around. Ammo Brothers; On Target; OC Armory; Fowlers; Stockade; Field Time (reloading for the last two)

I never let 50 bucks stop me from getting a weapon that I want. :D

I once paid about $100 more for something rare and in stock...:D

All of the above shops have been perfect for me in selection and customer service.

Also, I never let a bad or FUD employee affect me decision to buy a certain weapon. I'am not sensitive or fragile. I can laugh at the FUD and still get the weapon I want.

Yes, I would even consider.....gasp....TURNERS...:eek: While I have never bought a weapon at Turner's I have done some PPTs without issue.

If I spot something I want, I will buy it. And local stores get my money first.

Be well, Bob

TomV
10-15-2011, 4:58 PM
Just to add another question.

Where does using Davidson's Gun Genie fall into supporting your local store ?

Jbone83
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Just to add another question.

Where does using Davidson's Gun Genie fall into supporting your local store ?

I'm curious about this too. I would think the Gun Genie would be the best of both worlds: good pricing while also supporting your LGS.

Rob454
10-16-2011, 1:39 PM
I always try to buy local. if you are a d**khead I simply do not shop at your store.

Slim///
10-16-2011, 1:50 PM
My local FFL will match or beat online prices :D

Levetti
10-16-2011, 1:57 PM
I'm curious about this too. I would think the Gun Genie would be the best of both worlds: good pricing while also supporting your LGS.

Good point. I have searched Gun Genie, but the impulse buys are usually what get me; I'll fondle a gun for a bit in a shop and end up buying it.

greybeard
10-16-2011, 2:01 PM
, but the impulse buys are usually what get me; I'll fondle a gun for a bit in a shop and end up buying it.
I hate them, most of my toys are impulsed buys.

SDM44
10-16-2011, 2:20 PM
I buy mostly locally from my LGS.

The last time I didn't was because none of the stores in my area had the TRP I was looking for, so I had to order it online and have it shipped. But I still gave my LGS business by doing the transfer at their store, even if it cost me $25 more at their store instead of driving 30 minutes to another one.

To me, time is money and I'd rather spend the extra bucks to have the convenience of a LGS who will take care of me and has exactly what I want, rather than order online sight-unseen and waste time traveling all over the place just to find a FFL who's has the cheapest transfer fees.

rromeo
10-16-2011, 2:27 PM
I would like to buy from the local stores, and I used to. Where I live now, I have to drive almost an hour to get a decent deal.

jcaoloveshine
10-16-2011, 3:03 PM
Pure capitalism for me, I chase the best prices. Haven't bought an actual gun at a gun store since I bought my first 22. Just can't beat the calguns used for sale section.

MaHoTex
10-16-2011, 3:08 PM
The LGSs seem to have it all figured out really. By the time you find a "better deal" online, add the shipping/transfer fee etc, the cost is darn near the same as you would pay at the LGS to start with.

For small items I mix it up between Midway, Brownells, CTD and LGS.

For reloading, I buy all of my stuff online, unless I need a single pound of powder, a 100 primers for test loads or something.

Really for everything except reloading components it usually comes out a wash.

oldsmoboat
10-16-2011, 3:15 PM
My local gun shops:
TDS: SLOW (incompetence) and rude
Sac Black Rifle: Slow (busy)
River City: Salesman had to ask the difference between 5.56 and .223 and then couldn't find it.

Lately I find stuff on line and have it shipped to a local FFL that works out of his home.

17+1
10-16-2011, 6:28 PM
Buying reloading equipment like primers is much cheaper locally...cheapest I've seen for 1k SR CCI primers is $31 at the Sac Valley range office/store. That's what hazmat and shipping cost when you buy online!

Open range at Sac Valley is scary/unsupervised so the least they can do is offer a deal on primers!

big red
10-16-2011, 9:17 PM
I just completed another good deal at City Arms in Pleasant Hill after stopping at their shop in Pacifica. I have found that if "Uncle" can match the price he will as long as you are honest with him and not trying to blow smoke up his you know what. And he remembers you. I travel from Sacramento to the coast from time to time and check the prices in Sacramento on what I want. I tell him the best price and shop I saw it at in Sacramento. He usually beats its and then some. He has to make a profit to stay in business but he does his best to work with you. It is a good excuse for a day at the coast and to go back and the price is nice enough to pay for the gas. If 60 miles is local then i shop local all the time.

If you need a FFL to ship to try Golden State in Fair Oaks as he has done good work for friends in the past.

ahren111
10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
A good local shop will work with you on their prices, if they want your business. I bought an ampoint pro recently. The shop had it listed for $440. I explained to the salesman that I wanted to support his bussiness not some online company in Kansas, but they were $400 online. He thought about it for a few seconds then gave it to me for 400. I was very happy I'll definitely go back again.

wisefire
10-17-2011, 12:51 AM
I try my best to, but sometimes the price differences is to much. Some gun stores charge msrp or even higher on some guns, so sometimes buy used or even online after the transfer fees, it a better deal. Ammo and accessories at most lgs are rip off, one store wanted $15 for a box of .223 pmc (20rd). If the price is pretty close, I would buy it at lgs

a1c
10-17-2011, 6:06 AM
I buy local for new guns - I know the local guys (who know me well) will give me a decent price.

For most of the ammo, I buy online, but occasionally from them too.

voiceofreason
10-17-2011, 8:39 AM
Guns I buy locally from stores with good CS, even if the price is reasonably higher.

Other than the VTAC targets I like so much, I try to get my targets from whatever range I'm at (Shoot 'n Sees)

Ammo I buy online because the cost of buying 2-3 cases of ammo from a local shop in SoCal is going to add around $100 to the cost per case which is stupid IMO.

I get most of my gunsmithing done locally if possible, with occasional out of state trips to specific peeps for their specialty work.

mky.s2k
10-17-2011, 8:52 AM
I tried supporting my "favorite" LGS for the past two years, I even purchased three guns from them this year at higher prices in the hopes that they would reward my customer loyalty somehow...but this was not the case. The owner threw a fit when one of the salesmen said he would match the printed local in stock ads from Cordova Shooting Center and Sac Black Rifle for a shotgun. The douche owner then sends the guy on break and tells me he will sell me the gun for $50 more than the price I was just quoted. I informed the owner of my situation and that I could have just gone to the other stores first, but I was trying to give Just Guns on Watt/Auburn a chance at repeat business. He then tells me I should have gone to the other stores if I wanted their prices...so thats what I did. I spent $2500 with them over the past two years, but will probably shop online now...

Jbone83
10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I tried supporting my "favorite" LGS for the past two years, I even purchased three guns from them this year at higher prices in the hopes that they would reward my customer loyalty somehow...but this was not the case. The owner threw a fit when one of the salesmen said he would match the printed local in stock ads from Cordova Shooting Center and Sac Black Rifle for a shotgun. The douche owner then sends the guy on break and tells me he will sell me the gun for $50 more than the price I was just quoted. I informed the owner of my situation and that I could have just gone to the other stores first, but I was trying to give Just Guns on Watt/Auburn a chance at repeat business. He then tells me I should have gone to the other stores if I wanted their prices...so thats what I did. I spent $2500 with them over the past two years, but will probably shop online now...

It's amazing how shortsighted some business people are. Any half-way intelligent business owner knows that repeat business is a big part of any successful venture. It's completely ridiculous to lose a customer who has spent thousands of dollars with you over $50. Good for you for taking your business elsewhere.

pacifico23
10-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I try to. Most large purchases are through local shops, or if I need a quick part. But I am also very budget friendly. If I buy online, I will buy from a California online company like riflegear, solar tactical, gunsafari to still support ca companies. My go to is Addax for my local shop. Best customer service I have found at any gunshop near me. When Im spending hundereds if not a couple thousand dollars somewhere, I expect some customer service.

Ammo. I buy online or an gunshows. so cal ammo is too expensive and walmarts that stock ammo are like 40 min from me.

Us3rName
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I do the same thing you do and tend to spend more of my money at local family shops and small businesses.

but sometimes.... I just can't ignore wally world

bruceflinch
10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
I support shops because they offer good products, fair prices, and great customer service. If my local shop can do this I will support them, if not I won't.

:iagree:

Javi
10-17-2011, 1:21 PM
Was looking for a 200 count bag of ear plugs for the next range session($20 on Amazon). Went to a local shop that I like a lot but they didn't have those bulk packs. Just bought $5 2-pack and a shop tee for another $10. The sticker price on the plugs was $5 but I realized a few min. ago that I was charged $7.99. Oh well, $3 donation :)

paul0660
10-17-2011, 1:27 PM
I have a 20% rule.

That is my rule too.

Seesm
10-21-2011, 2:04 AM
My local gun shops:
TDS: SLOW (incompetence) and rude
Sac Black Rifle: Slow (busy)
River City: Salesman had to ask the difference between 5.56 and .223 and then couldn't find it.

Lately I find stuff on line and have it shipped to a local FFL that works out of his home.

Serious? TDS is busy... Incompetent? NO WAAY you SOO off base with THAT comment.. Rude? There was one rude guy who got fired for stealing but all the rest are super cool...

SBR and RCG? Not sure..

ahren111
10-21-2011, 3:53 AM
Serious? TDS is busy... Incompetent? NO WAAY you SOO off base with THAT comment.. Rude? There was one rude guy who got fired for stealing but all the rest are super cool...

SBR and RCG? Not sure..

I somewhat agree with the incompetent comment. I've only been to TDS once, I asked if they could get me a Stag 2T with the plus package. The salesman had the deer in the headlights look, never heard of the plus package. After I explained what the plus package was he went in the back to find out if they could order it. 20 minutes later someone else came out & told me that I couldn't get that rifle in California. I smiled told him he need to check his facts & left haven't been back since & dont have any plans to. California Tactical the new store in Roseville is way better in my opinion.

Hopalong
10-21-2011, 6:03 AM
I do what I can

If they have what I want, and I can pick it up and hold it

I figure that's worth a little extra

Seesm
11-01-2011, 8:21 AM
^Cuz one salesman is was wrong or didn't know something you don't go there? Lol anyway looks like your promoting for another store is more what that is about... lol

biloutkast
11-01-2011, 9:47 AM
I support & buy firearms from two LGS but let's say I'm looking for a
Streamlight TLR-1.

LGS - $150.00 + tax
Online - $100.00 no tax/free shipping.

Bet your #$$ I'm buying it online.

wjc
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I support my lcoal shops as much as I can (about 5). Usually, I only order online if they can't or won't stock something I want to buy. I usually give them the opportunity to complete the deal first.

m98
11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Only if the shop is one of my favorites. The shops with the overprice items and azzhole employees/ owners I never step foot in. I would rather see them fall then grow. Its like whats the point to supporting them when they're just in to make a few bucks and little care for our 2a rights in this ********* state.

Paper Boy
11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Small shops who support the people around them I will pay the extra money. Shops that employ jerks or who have no respect for their customers get nothing from me.