View Full Version : .32 H&R Magnum round

10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Was designed for a new size revolver. A couple of companies decided to make their lever action guns for these rounds.

What bothers me about this is that the Tok round is the same caliber, the bullet is the same length, and it has a little more power. Since that round was already designed, why couldn't they have just used it? The Tok round has a larger cartridge diameter, but is very similar.

Question for all you gunsmiths out there - Would it be possible to modify one of these lever guns to shoot the Tok round? Could it be done cheaply? I have wanted a repeating carbine size rifle that would shoot these rounds for a long time, and it seems to me that one of these newer lever rifles would be much more dependable than a modified Spanish Destroyer carbine(These were built cottage industry style and need to be fitted together, the quality is all over the place with them, not to mention that many of the parts would have to be made one off.)

10-15-2011, 1:18 PM
Great question, maybe post it in the gunsmithing section.

10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Possible, yes anything is possible with enough time and money. Likely? No. Cheaply? Not on your life. Why aren't revolvers chambered for the 7.62x25? Bottle neck cases usually are an issue in revolvers plus half moon clips would be needed to get the cases to extract in a double action revolver. Until the cheap surplus showed up 7.62 Tokarev was an obscure chambering on the domestic market.

10-16-2011, 6:57 AM
Besides the difficulty in making a revolver that uses bottlenecked rimmeless cartridges...

Even though the 7.62x25mm was created in 1930, the fact that it was only in use by com-bloc countries, handguns chambered for 7.62x25mm and 7.62x25mm ammo did not get readily imported into the USA until after the Cold War ended. So at the time the .32H&R Magnum was created, 1983, 7.62x25mm was very rare in the USA.