PDA

View Full Version : Cheap vacuum packed Ammo Storage

toratiger
02-10-2007, 9:18 PM
I've been using Military surplus ammo cans for storage of ammo, magazines and other misc items. These are steel, very strong, waterproof and airtight. I put a desicant pack and a disposable hand warmer inside, which eliminates moisture and oxygen. The disposable heat packs provide heat for 6-12 hours when exposed to oxygen, and usually sell for about $1.00 for a pack of 2.
The nice thing about the heat-packs is they are activated by oxygen, and will use up all oxygen in a small closed environment and will go dorment until exposed to additional oxygen, so a single pack will last a very long time (probably years) when used in an ammo can.

When using both heat packs and desicant in the ammo can, the vacuum pressure actually makes it a little difficult to pull the lid open and there is the hiss of air rushing in when it is opened.

Cheap, dry and oxygen free...I like it!

ns3v3n
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
thanks for the tip, where can i get one ?

TheMan
02-11-2007, 2:25 PM
thanks for the tip, where can i get one ?

one of which? The hand warmers can be bought from many places. http://www.beprepared.com carries them, along with many other emergency supplies. I would bet there are cheaper places around though

The ammo cans can be picked up at a gun show for cheap. Otherwise, they usually cost more to ship than the cans themselves cost.

I know there is a place online to order bulk dessicant cheap, but I can't remember where it is now.

Guns R Tools
02-11-2007, 5:48 PM
I like the idea of oxygen absorber. Never thought of it that way.