PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding pre-ban mags

ILVSMOG
10-15-2011, 3:06 AM
I have a bunch of old M1A/M14 magazines that I've had since long before the 2000 ban. Some of them are getting a little beat up, rusty, etc. and I'd like to replace some of the parts. What part of them has to remain to still be considered "pre-ban" and legal? Do I have to keep the body, or just any one component of the original? I'm trying to stay true to the law, but the idiotic part is, other than the obvious wear and tear on my old magazines, the brand new parts look identical. :confused:

jgraham15
10-15-2011, 3:11 AM
Check out this link - http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

It should answer most of your questions. :)

ILVSMOG
10-15-2011, 3:18 AM
Thank you! I read through a couple of the Wikis, but didn't find that info.

In other news: the laws in the state are so idiotic and ***-backwards that it'd be absolutely hilarious if I didn't have to live here. That letter reads like someone could basically buy a rebuild kit and assemble it to "repair" a worn pre-ban, then chuck the old pre-ban in the trash compactor and call it good.

jgraham15
10-15-2011, 3:24 AM
Thank you! I read through a couple of the Wikis, but didn't find that info.

In other news: the laws in the state are so idiotic and ***-backwards that it'd be absolutely hilarious if I didn't have to live here. That letter reads like someone could basically buy a rebuild kit and assemble it to "repair" a worn pre-ban, then chuck the old pre-ban in the trash compactor and call it good.

Actually I know people who do this, minus the trash compactor part. :D

I keep the old parts in a box just in case it ever becomes an issue but I'm a little more paranoid than most people.

redking
10-15-2011, 11:25 AM
My uncle gave a crapload of 20 round AR15 mags when I was a kid.. I can't find them. Is it legal to repair them using parts from a crapload of 20 round AR15 mags I buy off the internet....

SINCE I CAN'T FIND THEM

I love how the law is completely open to interpretation these days.

DRM6000
10-15-2011, 1:38 PM
My uncle gave a crapload of 20 round AR15 mags when I was a kid.. I can't find them. Is it legal to repair them using parts from a crapload of 20 round AR15 mags I buy off the internet....

SINCE I CAN'T FIND THEM

I love how the law is completely open to interpretation these days.

sounds like you want to replace them. that is a no-go. i hope you find the mags.