PDA

View Full Version : Canning Blueberries and strawberries (review+ pics)

problemchild
10-14-2011, 9:54 PM
I have to start off with this. WHY did I wait so long to do this? This is the best blueberry jam I have ever tasted. Spectacular!

OK so I got another itch to can up some jams from fresh fruit. I bought a bunch of blueberries and strawberries ( about 8lb of each) some Pectin and some 1/2 pint Ball jelly jars. I followed the instructions here. (http://www.pickyourown.org/blueberryjam.htm)

The instructions were thorough and had nice pictures to make following along easy. I did exactly what the website said to do as this was my first time canning jams. I managed to can up 11 1/2 pint jars with the wife's help.

It really wasn't that hard to do but you have a lot of irons in the fire and its a two person job. We canned blueberries tonight and plan on doing the strawberries tomorrow morning. I will follow up with pics of the strawberry jam tomorrow.

This is a must do for home storage and the half pint jars are the perfect size.

http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/HVfood_canned/blueberryjam%20001a.jpg

A bit of white film on jar from the hard water. I forgot the vinegar.
http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/HVfood_canned/blueberryjam%20004a.jpg

Butter, jam and a bagel......
http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/HVfood_canned/blueberryjam%20006a.jpg

Sanderhawk
10-15-2011, 7:36 AM
Nice I have been wanting to give this a try. Briefly read thru the instructions. Seems like a lot to do but not the end of the world.

problemchild
10-15-2011, 8:20 AM
Nice I have been wanting to give this a try. Briefly read thru the instructions. Seems like a lot to do but not the end of the world.

Its do-able with 2 hands but much easier with 3.

Broken down:

Wash and boil jars for 10+ mins
Boil lids at simmer only
Mash or food process fruit
Mix 1/4c sugar with pectin (maybe 10 tsp pectin? )
Boil mashed fruit
Add 1/4c lemon juice fruit
Add 1 c water fruit
Once boiling stir in sugar/pectin combo
Wait one minute while boiling
Add remaining 6.25c sugar
Boil again 1 minute hard boil
Check thickness (I placed a spoon in the freezer and dipped it into the jam mix and the jam was a bit runny so I added more pectin)
Bring to boil again if you add more pectin to adjust thickness
Remove jars from boiling water and fill with jelly mix to within 1/4 inch from top
Wipe rim with vinegar dampened paper towel
remove lid from simmering water and place on jar, scew rim down tight
Place jar on counter until finished packing all jars
Place all jars into boiling water bath for 7 mins, then remove
let jars sit undisturbed on the counter for 12+ hours
Lids will pop down with a click as vacuum engages while cooling
Label and enjoy

ExAcHog
10-15-2011, 8:33 AM
Jam is my favorite thing to can. Followed closely by pickles...

problemchild
10-15-2011, 9:21 AM
Jam is my favorite thing to can. Followed closely by pickles...

Have you ever made the low sugar jam? The kind with fruit juice and the special pectin?

jermedic
10-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Very nice! Try doing some pears, they make great jam! I made my first batch of pear jam the other day, also did plum jam and bread/butter pickles. This was my second time doing it all on my own. My Grandma taught me how to can and I used to go to her house to do it. Now I feel comfortable doing it on my own. I think my next experiment is going to be a plum and jalapeno jelly.

Carsgunsandchics
10-15-2011, 10:16 AM
The wife recently canned 50lbs of pears, 50quarts of various tomatoes i.e. salsa,stewed etc.. and about 40 quarts of pickles. She has been fighting being domesticated for a while but she decided to do this on her own..

h0use
10-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Looks yummy!

problemchild
10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
The wife recently canned 50lbs of pears, 50quarts of various tomatoes i.e. salsa,stewed etc.. and about 40 quarts of pickles. She has been fighting being domesticated for a while but she decided to do this on her own..

Any good salsa recipes?

GrizzlyGuy
10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't know PC, that looks dangerous. You could get botulism. I think you should find a guinea pig to send a jar to, and if the guinea pig eats it and survives, then you know you'll be OK.

In unrelated news, this is a recent photo of me:

http://static.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/small-animal-pictures-breeders-babies/guinea-pig-pictures-breeders-babies/pictures/guinea-pig-0276.jpg

:43:

jermedic
10-15-2011, 5:54 PM
^^^Got a good laugh out of that :)

problemchild
10-15-2011, 8:17 PM
I don't know PC, that looks dangerous. You could get botulism. I think you should find a guinea pig to send a jar to, and if the guinea pig eats it and survives, then you know you'll be OK.

http://static.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/small-animal-pictures-breeders-babies/guinea-pig-pictures-breeders-babies/pictures/guinea-pig-0276.jpg

My wife thinks your cute

Steve1968LS2
10-15-2011, 8:19 PM
My wife just made some Guava (from our tree) and some Guava/Pineapple...

Good stuff.. Wonder what the shelf life is? A year?

bsg
10-16-2011, 4:02 PM
i don't eat blueberries or strawberries. i do like Welch's grape jelly though.

Henry Shooter
10-16-2011, 4:15 PM
Pickled Green Beans. Good in Bloody Maries. Blanch the beans, heat 2 cups of white vinegar and water each, with 1 tbsp salt, sterilize the jars and lids in hot water, drop 2-3 cloves of garlic, pickling spice in a hot jar, stuff jar with beans fill jar with hot vinegar mix, position two piece lid and tighten. Let sit on counter till cool and you hear the "Ping". Enjoy.

Henry Shooter
10-16-2011, 4:16 PM
By the way. Good job on the Blueberries.

targetarcher
10-16-2011, 4:56 PM
Have you tried rigging those things weedless and using them for bass? Looks to be about the right color.

Geez though, you'll have me calling my grandmother and asking for her recipes for raspberry jam and her spicy pickled green beans...
EDIT- Henry Shooter, didn't even see your post before I posted mine!

A bit of white film on jar from the hard water. I forgot the vinegar.
http://www.michaelkdickson.com/webjunk/LMT/HVfood_canned/blueberryjam%20004a.jpg
[/IMG]

anthonyca
10-16-2011, 5:23 PM
When I was a kid the neighbors across the street took my brother and I to pick blackberries. We then made and canned jam. It was the most amazing jam I ever ate and to this day if I eat store bought preservative filled corn syrup jam, it hurts my stomach.

Later my friend's mom from across the street made us all kinds of jams. I have never found anything to compare, although yours looks the same. :D I remember her saying it could be stored and if there was a disaster and the masses were fighting for food we would have jam and bread. (stored wheat) Even at 10 or 12, I thought that was so cool, not having to worry or rely on other people or government. Most people thought she was nuts, except for my moms mom, and my dad who both lived through the depression and WWII rationing.

I have a cool canning book, I've just been too lazy to can. I get some really strange reactions from family who know I have a small cache of food and water. Strange irrational behavior to have such an accession to being prepared. Even if it's for something as simple as a job loss, I'm never going to stand in a food line again. I did it as a kid and it shaped me into being prepared.

problemchild
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
When I was a kid the neighbors across the street took my brother and I to pick blackberries. We then made and canned jam. It was the most amazing jam I ever ate and to this day if I eat store bought preservative filled corn syrup jam, it hurts my stomach.

Later my friend's mom from across the street made us all kinds of jams. I have never found anything to compare, although yours looks the same. :D I remember her saying it could be stored and if there was a disaster and the masses were fighting for food we would have jam and bread. (stored wheat) Even at 10 or 12, I thought that was so cool, not having to worry or rely on other people or government. Most people thought she was nuts, except for my moms mom, and my dad who both lived through the depression and WWII rationing.

I have a cool canning book, I've just been too lazy to can. I get some really strange reactions from family who know I have a small cache of food and water. Strange irrational behavior to have such an accession to being prepared. Even if it's for something as simple as a job loss, I'm never going to stand in a food line again. I did it as a kid and it shaped me into being prepared.

I have found that liberals or liberal minded people want to rely on someone else for their well being no matter what. If something happens they use their cell phone to call the police and beg them to hurry out to their house. All they would have to do is pick up a gun but they want someone else to do the dirty work, just like killing and cleaning animals for the supermarket shelves. They would have no part of killing a chicken but they have no issue at all eating a killed, de-feathered, dissected "free range organic chicken".

fabguy
10-17-2011, 5:31 PM
I can give you a KILLER recipe for salsa, it is easy to make. Wife and her fmily can it every year, she just canned some plum jam, peaches went bad though, apple is next up yum yum yum

PlacerTactical
10-17-2011, 6:20 PM
My wife did 70+ jars of pluot jam, strawberry jam, and pluot/strawberry mixed jam (my current favorite) this year. About 3/4 of those were 1 quart jars, the rest were pints.
That blueberry is looking real good though, might have to put her back to work.

PlacerTactical
10-17-2011, 6:21 PM
I can give you a KILLER recipe for salsa, it is easy to make. Wife and her fmily can it every year, she just canned some plum jam, peaches went bad though, apple is next up yum yum yum

Post up the recipe!

MFortie
10-17-2011, 6:31 PM
Post up the recipe!

+1 I'm looking for a good salsa recipe also!

My aunt cans strawberry and apricot jam every year for us -- I've found some in the back of the cupboard that was three years old and tasted just fine...

(It normally doesn't last that long!)

problemchild
10-17-2011, 8:53 PM
+1 I'm looking for a good salsa recipe also!

My aunt cans strawberry and apricot jam every year for us -- I've found some in the back of the cupboard that was three years old and tasted just fine...

(It normally doesn't last that long!)

This one looks good.....

http://www.pickyourown.org/salsa.htm

Joewy
10-17-2011, 9:30 PM

I have some canned spice cake you can try out if you want.

I canned it in 2001.... But my mother in law ate one and still lives. So unfortunatly it is still good. Maybe.. :D

rod
10-19-2011, 7:44 AM
Just finished a batch of apple butter. I recently made some apple sauce and pie filling, and canned all that up. The leftover apples made it into a pie. I have more apples to pick, so I'm thinking of making some turnovers and more applesauce. All the peaches are gone. I made ginger/peach preserves and some plain peach preserves. I also mixed in some tabasco peppers with the some peaches and made some spicy peach preserves. It's pretty good on pork chops. Unfortunatly, I didn't get any blackberries this year. The bears ate them all.

A hint for anyone making stuff with apples, I prefer to mix different types of apples. You get a better taste and slightly different textures all mixed into something good. You'll have to experiment with your favorite kinds of apples. Winesap is my favorite. I have a neighbor who grows pipin apples. They're a little tart and are excellent in baked goods.

Paper Boy
10-19-2011, 7:58 AM
You should try Kiwi jelly and Jalapeno jelly I can kill a jar in one day I can not stop eating them they are so good. I brought Kiwi into work and now everyone keeps asking for more....

Paper Boy
10-19-2011, 8:02 AM
Pickled Green Beans. Good in Bloody Maries. Blanch the beans, heat 2 cups of white vinegar and water each, with 1 tbsp salt, sterilize the jars and lids in hot water, drop 2-3 cloves of garlic, pickling spice in a hot jar, stuff jar with beans fill jar with hot vinegar mix, position two piece lid and tighten. Let sit on counter till cool and you hear the "Ping". Enjoy.

You forgot the hot pepper to get the nice kick :43: I did it with Ghost Peppers I grow and it turned out great

Caliyanks
10-19-2011, 8:28 AM
Wife and I just tried canning a few weeks ago and we are from NYC (so, if us city folk can learn it). Did strawberry and Asian Pear Jam. It was awsome. Try using local honey to replace some of the cane sugar. We used Mountain honey we bought at the Cherry auction in Fresno. Used it and cinnamon (?) on the Asian pears (which I never even heard of). It was incrediblly good.