PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first AR today! Feelin' good

smith629
10-14-2011, 8:44 PM
I have been wanting an AR for a while, but never was never willing to put down the coin until I found I was getting a lot of $$$ back on my tax return.

So, I ended up going with a Stag model 3 today and I think I made the right choice...its one sweet lookin' AR.

http://www.stagarms.com/images/M3_2318.gif

I'm planning on running iron sights most of the time, but I'd like to throw a quick-release scope on it for occasional bench rest shooting. This is my first real rifle so I am unsure what power of scope to use. I grew up shooting air rifles and currently my air rifles wear big lenses...15 to 25 power scopes. I see that powder burners actually use less magnfication..which is great of course because that means a lighter weight scope.

Anyways, what power and type of scopes are you guys using? Also, what are the effective ranges of this gun with 55g bullets, eg. Fedearl American Eagle (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=69) that is specified @ 1200 ft/lb and 3200fps? Thanks

Colt-45
10-14-2011, 8:46 PM
Great choice! Nothing but good things from Stag.

bloodhawke83
10-14-2011, 8:54 PM
welcome to the BRD club, we have meetings every Monday.

Cole125
10-14-2011, 9:17 PM
Congrats! Look into a 4x scope tactical scope or a red dot. The Burris Tac 30 or any of the Leupold 4x scopes are great. You will need to spend at least $300 on a decent scope, buy once cry once. Many guys I know have optics on their rifles that are worth more than the rifles themselfs!

tacticalcity
10-14-2011, 9:20 PM
Good for you man. Welcome to the club. In about a week we'll be talking about what your next AR will be. It is a full on addiction! ;)

The optics you get should match how you use it.

I'm a red dot guy myself. I really enjoy taking carbine courses and they focus on upclose and personal shooting while running and gunning. My personal favorite is the EoTech line. Next would be Aimpoint. If those are too pricey for you Primary Arms has a line of very affordable red dots that are great for training and plinking. They'll hold you over until you can afford the more expensive stuff.

For shooting targets on the range red dots will work, but magnification makes it a little easier. For a range rifle I would buy anything from a 1-4 variable power or a 3.5-10 variable power scope. Magnification won't hurt you on the range. Magnification only hurts your effectiveness in the CQB type stuff you do in a course or home defense. Again, primary arms makes great entry level stuff. Nikon has some AR specific midlevel stuff. Burris has some AR specific stuff that is nice as well. Trijicon makes some really cool AR stuff. Leupold makes some AR stuff but I personally prefer their Mark 4 line on a precision AR instead of their AR series (as do most serious shooters), then you start getting into NightForce, Schmit & Bender, US Optics and the insanely expensive but absolutely amazing stuff.

Just about anything you want to stick on an AR will work. Some are just more popular others. How effective it will be depends on exactly how you plan to use your AR.

Personally I highly recommend grabbing a red dot and taking some Carbine courses at a local school. See the Competition, Action Shooting, and Training Section here on Calguns for a school near you. They are extremely fun, and you bought the perfect AR for the type of shooting done at those courses. You will need to add a front and rear iron sight, a sling (2 point works best in my opinion), get at least 3 magazines, ammo, a thigh or chest rig for your mags, eye and ear protection, elbow and knee pads, and a brimmed hat before you can take a course. When you take the level II course you will need a side arm (handgun), at least 3 magazines for it, and a holster and pouhes to go with it. You use the handgun as a backup for the rifle. I cannot tell you how much fun these courses are.

smith629
10-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips and for the warm welcome...Looks like a 4x or so powered scope is in my future.

Those carbine courses sound interesting. I have a sidearm, holster & mags, however, no sling or chest rig yet. So much stuff to buy...

I am looking forward to talking about my next AR!

Ubermcoupe
10-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Congrats Smith! My first AR purchase was Stag 1. Have fun with it and take a few more pics. :thumbsup:

gun toting monkeyboy
10-14-2011, 10:48 PM
I would pick the optics to go with the task. Either a red dot for in close, or a 3x9 scope for longer shooting. However, since this is your first AR, and you don't sound like you are going to be running out and grabbing another one soon, a multi-purpose scope might give you more flexibility.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/186660/millett-tactical-dms-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-circle-dot-reticle-matte

I have found that this is a decent multi-purpose scope. Setting it at 1 to 1.5x, you can use it as a red dot for close-in shooting. Cranking it up to 4x gives you decent magnification for farther shots. I have used it for pig hunting on a 6.8 and it did a fine job.

Yerman
10-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Nice choice...here is mine...Less than a month old...I am very happy with it.

FYI, stick with the steel 10/30's. I had a lot of trouble with Magpul's 10/20's in my Model 3. I got mine here http://www.riflegear.com/p-345-stag-arms-10-round-30-magazine-223556mm.aspx

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q173/bwurfel/IMG_0833.jpg

BBB114
10-15-2011, 1:16 PM
Congrats on your new purchase! You will love it. As for optics, I am a big fan of just plain old iron sights for all around shooting. If you are dead set on optics, I run a Eotech red dot on my duty gun that is super fast for CQB stuff and out to 300 yds with no problems hitting steel all day long.

On another rifle I have a 4X Acog Tao1 that easily brings me to 400+ yds. Also nice magnification for targets in the 100 yd range.

I think the Eotech does everything I would ever need. I would get used to the irons first, then try differnet optics. You may find you dont need them.

As for Tactical Carbine courses, if you are in the Los Angeles area, check out Covered6.com for their upcoming Carbine class on Nov 13-14.

mquejr
10-15-2011, 3:49 PM
congrats and welcome to the club, and this won't be your last.

hcbr
10-15-2011, 5:31 PM
:thumbsup: congrats!

Speedpower
10-15-2011, 6:06 PM
Stags are good, been thinking about the Stag Arms Model 2H Complete Upper for my lower, I have been wanting to build more ever since I build my first AR last month, just DROS another stripped lower last Wednesday and wouldn't mind drosing more stripped lowers :43:

Cole125
10-15-2011, 7:21 PM
Nice choice...here is mine...Less than a month old...I am very happy with it.

FYI, stick with the steel 10/30's. I had a lot of trouble with Magpul's 10/20's in my Model 3. I got mine here http://www.riflegear.com/p-345-stag-arms-10-round-30-magazine-223556mm.aspx

dieselpower
10-15-2011, 7:32 PM
welcome aboard.

Shopping list
1) Back up iron sights. A Mil-spec carry handle will be goo for now. Get a flip up front sight like a Troy, YHM or GG&G. Plan to spend $120ish for a good set.
2) Magazine holders of some kind. Look at the BCM 03 chest rig. You can even go with a mil-spec pistol belt with some mag pouches.
3) Cleaning kit
4) Optic.

I have never heard a bad word about Riflegear that wasn't cleared up here when BOTH parties worked it out.

Riflegear is a quality vendor. You cant please everyone all the time, but they try.

Noah3683
10-15-2011, 7:40 PM
I would just stick to regular 10 round magazines(D&H are good), I have had bad luck with 10/20s and 10/30s.

DON'T buy from riflegear.com, a few people I know had bad experinces with them.

Cool story....... I haven't had a problem with a single one of my 13 mags from Riflegear. They are pretty much the most popular go to dealer for BRD. Also makes me question "IF" this really did happen, did you try resolving it with riflegear? I heard of only one story where a mag fit 11 rds and it was so tight that the mag bulged at the top and they replaced it no questions asked

gmcal
10-15-2011, 7:51 PM
I have been wanting an AR for a while, but never was never willing to put down the coin until I found I was getting a lot of $$$ back on my tax return.

So, I ended up going with a Stag model 3 today and I think I made the right choice...its one sweet lookin' AR.

http://www.stagarms.com/images/M3_2318.gif

I'm planning on running iron sights most of the time, but I'd like to throw a quick-release scope on it for occasional bench rest shooting. This is my first real rifle so I am unsure what power of scope to use. I grew up shooting air rifles and currently my air rifles wear big lenses...15 to 25 power scopes. I see that powder burners actually use less magnfication..which is great of course because that means a lighter weight scope.

Anyways, what power and type of scopes are you guys using? Also, what are the effective ranges of this gun with 55g bullets, eg. Fedearl American Eagle (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=69) that is specified @ 1200 ft/lb and 3200fps? Thanks

When shooting from a bench on a range it is hard to get too much magnification.

I have a Vortex Viper PST which I really like. There are better scopes for sure, but at that price the features, glass quality, and adjustments make it a great deal. For a little less money you could look at the Viper HS line of scopes. Leupold makes good mid priced scopes as well.

There are several good choices for mounts, Larue is probably the most popular. I have an American Defense mount that I'm very happy with.

Cole125
10-15-2011, 9:11 PM
Cool story....... I haven't had a problem with a single one of my 13 mags from Riflegear. They are pretty much the most popular go to dealer for BRD. Also makes me question "IF" this really did happen, did you try resolving it with riflegear? I heard of only one story where a mag fit 11 rds and it was so tight that the mag bulged at the top and they replaced it no questions asked

Dirty Monkey
10-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Congrats on your Purchase :D

I bought a Magpul 10/30 pmag from ammo bros, Had no problems at all.

shark92651
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah I personaly tried to get my money back/or new magazines from them for the 10/20 and 10/30 magazines that were jammo-matics, and they were just complete *****s about it. Couple of my shooting buddies had similar or worse experiences with them. PLENTY of other online retailers such as Midwayusa that have outstanding service.

Riflegear can kiss my ***.

Jesse,

I would appreciate it if you would not slander our company in this manner. The truth of the matter is that you have never bought anything from our company. We have always allowed returns or repairs on defective magazines. If you truly had a bad magazine please provide the order number and/or receipt and we would be happy to replace it for you.

When we received the only order you ever made with us you requested the order to be sent without a signature requirement. As is often the case when a company receives an online order from a new customer for the first time, we tried to contact you to confirm your identity - especially since you were requesting no signature required. You failed to return any of our phone calls and finally responded to an email claiming that your phone was broken and you were in the process of replacing it. On the bottom of the email it stated "sent from my iPhone", so naturally this raised a further red flag for us. Once again we asked for you to call us to confirm your order and we would ship it. You then responded by saying that your phone was out of minutes, not broken as you had responded earlier. You then said you did not like the way you "were being treated" and to cancel your order. Again, a simple phone call would have cleared it all up, but despite several requests for you to call us you never did. We obliged you and cancelled your order and now you are here making up stories about RifleGear for who knows what reason. The truth is we are trying to protect both ourselves and our customers from credit card fraud, which happens very frequently.

If you wish to keep up this charade just let me know and I will be happy to post the entire email thread we had with you for everyone on calguns to review.

David

Noah3683
10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^Bwahahahahaha!!!! I just knew that fools story was bogus once he said Riflegear basically told him to pound sand.

MrExel17
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I miss my Stag! Congrats, great choice you wont be disappointed.

6172crew
10-18-2011, 12:09 PM
^^^^^^^^^Bwahahahahaha!!!! I just knew that fools story was bogus once he said Riflegear basically told him to pound sand.

:facepalm:

Noah3683
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
What it's hard to not think the situation is suspect when you have a highly regarded vendor, and a newcomer claiming himself and a few buddies to have all had these problems. Then said reputable company is nothing but "*****s" to them

762.DEFENSE
10-18-2011, 5:26 PM
Great choice, and a clean looking rifle.

mmrx2
10-18-2011, 5:34 PM
stags are awesome, and I've never had any problems with riflegear. I can't say the same for some other shops.

anothergunnut
10-18-2011, 5:34 PM
It's interesting to note that just a few years ago, it was common knowledge that CA residents just couldn't legally buy AR15 type rifles. Thanks Calguns for changing that!

mmrx2
10-18-2011, 5:39 PM
It's interesting to note that just a few years ago, it was common knowledge that CA residents just couldn't legally buy AR15 type rifles. Thanks Calguns for changing that!

It wasn't that long ago, that ffl's outside of California refused to send any thing evil looking here.

mlevans66
10-18-2011, 6:55 PM
Niiice! and welcome to your new disease. :D

tacticalcity
10-18-2011, 6:57 PM
Thanks for all the tips and for the warm welcome...Looks like a 4x or so powered scope is in my future.

Those carbine courses sound interesting. I have a sidearm, holster & mags, however, no sling or chest rig yet. So much stuff to buy...

I am looking forward to talking about my next AR!

That's half the fun!

SIGSHOOTR
10-18-2011, 9:25 PM
Congrats! Nice lookin' gun :gunsmilie:

smith629
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
I haven't even picked up my AR yet, but I already want a second, this time to build from scratch. Is this wrong?

peter95
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Stags are great... Good choice.

n0xname
10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Gongrats not one prob with may stag model 8 piston...u can shoot all types of ammo... steel case and brass

Caladain
10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Enjoy your stag! I love my Model 8, and plan on adding all it's cousins to the safe at some point.

Did you break it down completely and clean it yet?

smith629
10-21-2011, 2:06 AM
Picking it up on Monday :)

Do I need to do a breakdown and clean it prior to shooting?

PSH78
10-21-2011, 8:52 AM
I would check this thread for barrel break-in procedure.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/315921_Headspace__Torque_values__and_Barrel_Break_ in.html

Caladain
10-21-2011, 9:09 AM
Picking it up on Monday :)

Do I need to do a breakdown and clean it prior to shooting?

I did, but that's because i wanted to know how everything fit together and make sure it was oiled in all the proper places.

I break down any new weapon before putting rounds down range..compulsive habit :43:

TF_CAM
10-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Congrats! Look into a 4x scope tactical scope or a red dot. The Burris Tac 30 or any of the Leupold 4x scopes are great. You will need to spend at least $300 on a decent scope, buy once cry once. Many guys I know have optics on their rifles that are worth more than the rifles themselfs!

I just bought a Burris Tac 30 and its the best thing since sliced bread.. haha