PDA

View Full Version : The Noveske Krink KX3 Flash Suppressor

Sam .223
10-14-2011, 6:14 PM
is this ok to have in CA, i wanna put one on my 14.5 upper but don't want any issues when i take the gun out.

Mute
10-14-2011, 8:35 PM
Yes. It's fine. Just make sure it's permanently attached.

secret.asian.man
10-14-2011, 8:41 PM
Yes. It's fine. Just make sure it's permanently attached.

yup meaning with a visible tack-weld.

Sam .223
10-14-2011, 9:37 PM
i currently have a compensator tacted to the barrel, i'll grind the weld, lose the compensator, and install and retac weld the KX3. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't getting something on there i shouldn't.

SVT-40
10-14-2011, 11:10 PM
A simple "tack" weld is not sufficient to attach a barrel extension according to BATFE.

Do it right. Blind pin and weld over the pin. Or weld around the entire break as per the code.

From the BATFE section USC 5845

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.

Sam .223
10-15-2011, 1:10 PM
good to know, i wasn't aware of that code, i'll be sure to pin and weld and not just tack it.

Czechsix
10-16-2011, 12:04 PM
A simple "tack" weld is not sufficient to attach a barrel extension according to BATFE......include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding,....

Where does it say it needs a full circumference weldment? Most of the welded MB's or FH's that I've seen aren't full circumference. Just a solid, good penetration weld that covers 90 degrees or so.

dieselpower
10-16-2011, 4:34 PM
A simple "tack" weld is not sufficient to attach a barrel extension according to BATFE.

Do it right. Blind pin and weld over the pin. Or weld around the entire break as per the code.

From the BATFE section USC 5845

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.

Nowhere does that say the weld needs to be full circumference.

Full-fusion = the metals fully mix at the point of the weld
Gas or electric steel seam = type of welding equipment used

They are not saying the weld needs to go all the way around. It would be fine to tack weld as long as both the MD and the barrel metals fussed together at the point of the weld and its not just a secondary bead of metal, like from a welding rod.

Most people don't have the skill to do a full-fusion weld without warping the barrel at the same time. So the best method is to pin it then weld over the pin. Silver soldering isn't as easy as it sounds since most barrel steels can develop micro-fractures at 1100 degrees (Mil-spec 4150CMV being one of them).

Czechsix
10-16-2011, 6:05 PM
That's what I was thinking - but reading what SVT wrote about "weld around the entire break as per the code" made me think I might have been missing something.