PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the .223 and .22?

ARRRR-15
02-10-2007, 5:44 PM
Anybody else having trouble finding .223 and .22 rounds?

I went to Turner's SM and the shelves had nothing on them, well .223 and .22 wise. Whats the deal? Counter guy said something about led going up in price and military taking it all. I though it was just an excuse for dist. porblems or something. I then went to Walmart all I found in .223 was some remington hollow point $10 for 20rds.:eek: I at least found some .22 there, but not the brand that works well in both my rifle and pistol.

TonyM
02-10-2007, 6:15 PM
Anybody else having trouble finding .223 and .22 rounds?

I went to Turner's SM and the shelves had nothing on them, well .223 and .22 wise. Whats the deal? Counter guy said something about led going up in price and military taking it all. I though it was just an excuse for dist. porblems or something. I then went to Walmart all I found in .223 was some remington hollow point $10 for 20rds.:eek: I at least found some .22 there, but not the brand that works well in both my rifle and pistol.

Just looked in the "spare room", I see no shortage of 5.56mm or 7.62x51.

;)

Yes, it's going up in price, and you won't find tons in stock locally.

When it's cheap, stack it deep.

meangreen
02-10-2007, 9:28 PM
best bet is to check out a Crossroads Guns Show next time there is one near you.

Richie Rich
02-12-2007, 7:13 PM
WOW, no one ever runs out of .22.

Turners has been hit or miss for .223 for a few months. Bought a couple hundred rounds last time they had it. Only brought 40 rounds to the range last time I went, ran out and the range was selling .223 at $19 for 20 rounds. I think I am done shooting .223 for a while. Looking for a .22 to plink with and keep skills sharp.

Just about to pull the trigger on a large mail order of ammo. Just stashing it away for a rainy day.

Omega13device
02-13-2007, 2:20 PM
Once we get out of Iraq there will be plenty of ammo to go around.

Imagine how fast the factories are turning out ammo to meet military demand right now. Once that capacity isn't needed for the military they will flood the market.

50 Freak
02-13-2007, 3:12 PM
Supply and Demand.

Limit Supply...Raise Demand

Limited Demand...Supplies Rise

Just a money game...Don't believe this crap..."we're in a war so we're low on 22LR...that's why we're charging you $30 bucks a brick".

It's times like this when you buy a lot of whatever is available....I've cleaned up my 308s, 223 and 7.62x39 and put them away. Have brought out my 8mm and 7.62x54R rifles.

gose
02-13-2007, 3:20 PM
Once we get out of Iraq there will be plenty of ammo to go around.
Imagine how fast the factories are turning out ammo to meet military demand right now. Once that capacity isn't needed for the military they will flood the market.

Nah, I doubt that. After Iraq there will be other countries to invade ;)

grammaton76
02-13-2007, 3:58 PM
best bet is to check out a Crossroads Guns Show next time there is one near you.

Actually, although Miwall might have something, Ammobros isn't even going to the Del Mar show this weekend. They're totally out of 223... can't get the projectiles due to military backorders from their suppliers, so they can't actually manufacture any new ammo for the time being.

I've also been told that Federal's entire 2007 production has been earmarked for military sales. If you can get the components, the time to be a papered commercial reloader is now, for certain calibers.

grammaton76
02-13-2007, 5:59 PM
223 projectiles are the same as 5.56mm projectiles... and the projectiles are what's holding up Ammobros presently.

Omega13device
02-13-2007, 9:27 PM
Some folks are missing my point. I'll explain it a different way. Right now the ammo manufacturers have a lot of production capacity online to serve government procurement needs. When the war ends they'll want to make use of as much of that capacity as they can and still stay profitable. In the short term that will probably mean a surplus of .223/5.56 and .308 ammo.

I'm not saying that the war is the ONLY reason for rising prices. I'm saying that when it ends, prices will drop.

Supply and Demand.

Limit Supply...Raise Demand

Limited Demand...Supplies Rise

Not exactly. In a competitive free market supply and demand are equal. Reduce the supply, and prices will rise to reduce the demand. So it's actually prices that move to equalize supply and demand. If supply is constrained without changing the price, then yes, demand will outstrip supply. But if prices are allowed to move freely they will reach equilibrium quickly. This is why price gouging happens in times of supply shortages.