PDA

View Full Version : Nerds spreading FUD

ibanezfoo
10-14-2011, 2:55 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/162988/2011/10/criminals_find_novel_uses_for_3d_printing.html

Didn't think I'd find this kind of FUD there, but then this is the new America, why am I surprised?

The FUD part:

"For instance, a user on Makerbot's Thingiverse, a site where users share potentially useful 3D models for others to print out at home, posted the plans for printing a magazine for an AR-15 rifle. A fully automatic AR-15 can fire 800 bullets a minute. While the posted model held just five rounds of ammunition and was completely legal, extending the magazine to hold fifteen, or even more rounds by modifying the model, would be easy enough. Under the now-lapsed Federal Assault Weapons Ban, possessing any magazine containing more than ten rounds was illegal. In response, another Thingiverse user posted a model for printing a part called the lower receiver for the AR-15.

If, like me, you're not very knowledgeable about guns, that may not sound like much. But from a legal perspective, the lower receiver is actually pretty interesting. You could purchase at gun shows or from mail-order catalogs—without any sort of record—every part of this rifle except the lower receiver. By printing out the lower receiver of an AR-15 on a 3D printer, it's possible to complete construction a fully functional, unregistered AR-15.

3D printers can now help a bad guy break into your home, steal your money, and even assemble an unlicensed automatic weapon. Clearly it's time to pass some laws that limit what these things can do, right? Not so fast."

chim-chim7
10-14-2011, 3:31 PM
Lol, I think printing out your own lowers is a great idea. Bring it on. I will test one out.

ebencikiv
10-14-2011, 3:59 PM
Yes let's make more laws??? We need MOAR!!!

POLICESTATE
10-14-2011, 4:01 PM
Silly.

dsmoot
10-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I guess no one read the rest of the article:
Not so fast.

Another point of view on 3D printing

Michael Weinberg is the senior staff attorney and technology evangelist with the public-interest group Public Knowledge. He is also the author of It Will Be Awesome If They Don't Screw It Up, a legal white paper on the future of 3D printing and intellectual property. Weinberg says that, while some uses of 3D printers are obviously dangerous and illegal, we have to think about how much 3D printing is to blame.

According to Weinberg, "One of the challenges the 3D printing community is going to have is going to to remind people that just because it involves 3D printing, that doesn't mean it's going to be new. The ability for people to manufacture these machine gun pieces for instance has existed for as long as those pieces have existed, thanks to metal-working and milling machines."

All of the potentially misused items that people can create on 3D printers—the keys, the gun parts, and even the ATM skimmers—have been illegally manufactured in the past by means of traditional milling machines and other manufacturing hardware. In fact it's still probably cheaper and easier for the average person to gain access to metal-working tools than to a 3D printer.

locosway
10-15-2011, 3:58 AM
So, would this fall under an 80% build? :)

MrExel17
10-15-2011, 5:17 AM
Ok I game, just to try it out!

r3dn3ck
10-15-2011, 8:24 AM
resin choice is important. You can build the printer at home for between 300 and 3000 bucks.

Ubermcoupe
10-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Uhhh, manufacturing MG parts still constitutes constructive possession yes? which is already illegal.

Has anyone told these guys that criminals don't listen to laws... :shrug:

CSACANNONEER
10-15-2011, 1:00 PM
So, would this fall under an 80% build? :)

No, since you would not be starting with an 80% receiver, it would fall under a 0% build. But, yes, the same laws would apply to building any receiver that is 80% or less completed when you start.