PDA

View Full Version : Set to bugin but what if I have to pack up and leave?

1Fastrider
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Pretty simple question but how to do it? I figure I'm good for a few weeks or more in place. What happens if the neighborhood is on fire, tsunami, etc? Looking for suggestions for a good way to store food/water so that it's possible to pack up at least a week's worth or more within an hour.

problemchild
10-14-2011, 1:03 PM
Pretty simple question but how to do it? I figure I'm good for a few weeks or more in place. What happens if the neighborhood is on fire, tsunami, etc? Looking for suggestions for a good way to store food/water so that it's possible to pack up at least a week's worth or more within an hour.

MRE or mylar bag HV food. I have posted about both if you want to search.

1Fastrider
10-14-2011, 2:26 PM
Thanks PC. I have seen/read some of your posts. I guess I should say that I do have a couple boxes of MRE's but for the other supplies I've got how best to keep them portable? Just get some rubbermaid type boxes and a hand cart and call it a day?

Librarian
10-14-2011, 2:36 PM
At a minimum of 3 liters/day/person of water, a week will be 21 liters (around 5 1/2 gal), 21 kg/46.2 lb + containers.

MRE are about 24 lb/case; you need 2. (That's either 8 days at 3 meals/day or 12 days at 2 meals/day.)

If you had the unbroken cases of MRE and a 5-gallon water container, you could load them in a car in less than 10 minutes.

ExAcHog
10-14-2011, 2:45 PM
Thanks PC. I have seen/read some of your posts. I guess I should say that I do have a couple boxes of MRE's but for the other supplies I've got how best to keep them portable? Just get some rubbermaid type boxes and a hand cart and call it a day?

I think you pretty much have it nailed in above...Some 5 gal water/fuel cans are easy enough to move into your vehicle. Food and all the "extras" needed to live away from home are easily moved also. At that point it really would become a matter of just how much important stuff can you cram into your: car, truck, van, skateboard etc.

SIDENOTE: My son is currently in college 800 miles away in Idaho. I have told him if the SHTF while he is away at school, it is up to him to decide weather to stay put (extended family in area) or if he plans to come home. Before he left, we went over the maps I got for him, and covered several routes back, plans to move at night when needed etc.

Ripon83
10-14-2011, 2:49 PM
Well a lot of people post routinely about their "Bug out Bags" and what is in them from food, water filtration \ water, first aid, weapons, etc.....I personally feel that if I can't use my car to bug out then I'd prefer to stay. If its on foot its probably by bike actually. When I grocery shop at Wal Mart I buy 18 gallon plastic containers. I realize they can get heavy with ammo so I just put a little ammo in the bottom of each one. If there was a need to Bug Out and I had 10 minutes I can get 3 of these into the vehicle and on the road in that time. Each has a small amount of ammunition, one has valuables (silver and a little gold, papers and at the last second I'll toss in medicine cabinet materials). One has a small amount of ammo and food supplies that will keep us going at least 15 days. The third has a small amount of ammo and something to cook with, flashlights, battery charger, radio, first aid, etc. Then I gather up the guns - which means I hand truck the safe into the back of the vehicle real fast - which I can do alone. Then we are off.

1Fastrider
10-14-2011, 2:55 PM
Sounds good. Looks like I need to get some better/portable water containers and some cases for food. Guns/ammo are easily packed the way I have them. The water drums I have aren't gonna fit in the truck and I can't load them myself.

wash
10-14-2011, 3:05 PM
Home depot 5 gallon paint buckets are cheap and seal tight.

I'm not sure if they are food safe but you could bag or otherwise seal your food before storing it in a bucket.

They have a wire and plastic handle that will work fine untill you've got it about half full of ammo. You can probably load food up to the brim without an overload.

If you store your bug-in supplies right, you should be able to grab what you need to bug out pretty quickly.

Ripon83
10-14-2011, 4:06 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-18-Gallon-Tote-Box-Set-of-8/10401037

This is the storage container I buy at Wal Mart usually once each trip. Often $4.97 each sometimes $5.88 and don't know why they vary but I did noticed the switched chinese manufacturers once. A 33 gallon plastic bag is a great interior liner for these if you were going to use them to store water for a bug in.....you know that circumstance where they say fill the bath tub and all the other containers with the water before its gone. Well 10 of these I can store 150 gallons quick and easy. That puts them at about 120lbs each but I keep a simple hand truck around for easy moving and I can still lift 120 thank goodness. They stack well too though a heavy one with ammo will collapse the roof of one below it - hey its $5 and its easy to tote into a vehicle for a get away quick. If time permitted we'd gather a 4th with clothing (and ammo), and a 5th with more food (and ammo). I can slide the 35 lb bags of kids food (Great Danes) on top of them easy.