PDA

View Full Version : SHTF "Operations Manual"

ExAcHog
10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Do any of you preppers out there have anything close to a plan WRITTEN DOWN somewhere of what to do when/if that day ever happens?
And if so, are you willing to share it?
I want to put something together for two reasons.

First, if I am gone or dead, it gives my wife and kids a fighting chance.
Second, in the chaos of the SHTF it would be nice to have a formal plan.

IE: The earthquake is over, now after making sure the family is okay, you:
1. Turn off gas to house.
2. Turn off gas to neighbors house. (if his house burns, so does yours)
3. Start filling EVERYTHING that will hold water...etc...etc...etc

this is the type of thing I am talking about.
Let me know what you guys think...

11HE9
10-14-2011, 1:19 PM
That's not a bad idea...

Wouldn't hurt to have some things mapped out incase something happens to me. All of our gear is readily available, but some of it may take some explaining on how to use.

I usually go into "camping mode" when the power goes out (gather light sources, ensure everyone has a flash light before dark, plan trips to the frig in my head to conserve cold, etc..)

I guess in a obvious SHTF scenario, I'd go into a armed camping mode until I could get better intel (what, where, estimated duration).

cranemech
10-14-2011, 7:32 PM
I'm not sure who posted this link before (maybe PC ?) but I have started reading this and there is a lot of good information here, stuff I never thought about. The author had to evacuate because of Katrina and this is an AAR of sorts.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

Hope this helps.

Chad

fabguy
10-14-2011, 7:35 PM
No we don't have a plan written down, We will soon though now that you mentioned this

TrailerparkTrash
10-15-2011, 1:40 AM
Here are my immediate family rules that are written down at each window portal at the compound. If you want a PDF file of this, PM me. I'll gladly send these detailed plans...

SHTF EMERGENCY PROCEEDURES
1) Ready on the right.
2) Ready on the left.
3) All ready on the firing line.
4) Fire at will!

Simple eh?????

Fireguy
10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a question, why does everyone want to immediately shut off the gas after an earthquake?

Infiniti87
10-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I have a question, why does everyone want to immediately shut off the gas after an earthquake?

In case of a ruptured gas line in your house. Its common practice especially after large earthquakes

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

DVIII
10-15-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure who posted this link before (maybe PC ?) but I have started reading this and there is a lot of good information here, stuff I never thought about. The author had to evacuate because of Katrina and this is an AAR of sorts.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

Hope this helps.

Chad
+1
Not comprehensive or fully telling, but a good (long) read nonetheless.

Reconsnake
10-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Ultimately, just like your own preparations, the time to learn what to do and how to handle situations, is not when you are in them. Everyone in your household needs to know before something happens, what to do. The SAS Survival handbook is great in your bugout bag, but you need to read it first. Quoting the bible and the movie "Spygame", Noah built the arc before the rain. Dont wait till it is raining to teach everyone what to do.

TheChief
10-15-2011, 5:24 PM
Do a thread title search for the SHTF and you will find two scenarios; EMP and Nuke. A number of people have written down what they would do from the first notice and carried it through a week and in some cases, 14+ weeks after.

While not the same process for an earthquake, at least it is something.

Personally, first focus would be family health, then prevention of further damage, followed by water collection.

Setup the scenario and ask the question again. Many might write that list for you in their responses ;)

Shellshocker66
10-15-2011, 5:42 PM
In case of a ruptured gas line in your house. Its common practice especially after large earthquakes

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

To add to that, all it takes is one little flame source to ignite the leaking gas and you have a big KABOOM!

When I purchased my house I had a fridge delivered to my house, because I'm a big DIY person I said no to Sears when they offered to do the ice maker/water hook up because it cost $75 dollars. Well turns out I screwed up my knee and had to have surgery just before the fridge got to my house, so I decided to send a friend under to do the drilling for the water line, gave clear directions and was yelling how to find the cold versus hot water line... Well long story short my friend drilled into the gas pipe and well suddenly the house was filling with gas. I immediately hobbled to electrical panel and turned it off, then hobbled to grab my pipe wrench and went to the gas main.. One thing to always check before something bad happens is how many layers of paint are on the gas valve turn off. Mine would not budge! Called 911, fire department couldn't budge the gas valve either! Had to wait for PG&E to arrive to shut off gas from somewhere down the street (my neighbors didn't care for me too much at this point)...

So I was lucky I didn't blow up the my neighbors houses and my own. I thought I was a prepared person when it came to an emergency and I did know where everything was at, but the stupid simple thing I had not checked was how hard would it be to turn off the gas.

So moral of the story is don't be a cheap *** when it comes to some things (my total cost for my repairs after all was said and done was $500.00) and not only know your plan but practice it for real to make sure everything works they way you think it will. That goes for making sure anyone else in your house knows how to do the same things, walk them through the processes and let them get their hands dirty!

Fireguy
10-15-2011, 6:53 PM
After the Loma Prieta quake tons of people turn off their gas because it said so in a manual. It was an automatic reponse none them leaks. It took up to 2 weeks for PGE to return gas service to home owners.
I guess I'm saying check leaks before you shut off your gas service. There is very little pressure in the lines the chances of an explosion are about the same as an earthquake destoring your house. Dont do it automaticly.

cranemech
10-15-2011, 7:47 PM
After the Loma Prieta quake tons of people turn off their gas because it said so in a manual. It was an automatic reponse none them leaks. It took up to 2 weeks for PGE to return gas service to home owners.
I guess I'm saying check leaks before you shut off your gas service. There is very little pressure in the lines the chances of an explosion are about the same as an earthquake destoring your house. Dont do it automaticly.

I don't believe that the pressure is the issue. I would be afraid of a build up of gas in an enclosed space that meets an ignition source.

DavidR310
10-15-2011, 8:02 PM

^^^^ Not from Cali! lol

They even make devices that automatically shuts it off after an earthquake. Some cities even make it a requirement.

http://www.earthquakeprepared.com/images/northridgevalve.jpg

ExAcHog
10-15-2011, 9:00 PM
Thanks Chief...That is close to what I was looking for. I guess I didnt search correctly.