PDA

View Full Version : So why do people use a normal BB instead of a Rad Lock style?

dfens
10-14-2011, 12:26 AM
So I haven't bought a neutered AR-15 yet, and one day I was talking to a guy at store noticed he was on a gun site looking at rifles we started chatting away and he told me he had a rad lock on his and when he goes out of state he turns a screw and it's a normal mag release. Comes back resets it.

Now I don't usually leave the state but if I ever did or say the SHTF really bad talking riots, WW III, or Z-day you could always just turn the screw and when your done turn it back and no one will ever know.

I'm not saying go ahead and use it like a normal mag release at the range or not have it in the BB configuration don't want to go to jail, but if the situation was bad enough you needing to reload multiple times then why not have the option?

And no when I get a AR will I won't use it as a primary weapon, hell even if I needed the power of a rifle 10 rounds better be enough or I'm screwed. Just wondering what which one is better the BB or a rad lock style.

Or is it people don't want to risk it failing or their being a question of it being or becoming a normal mag release?

NiteQwill
10-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Raddlock.

But that's like asking why do people buy Nike, Adidas, New Balance, whatever...

Everyone has a different way to float a boat.

Any legal configuration will suffice.

RRichie09
10-14-2011, 12:41 AM
I prefer the normal BB because there is 0% chance I could accidentally have it in the wrong configuration. Furthermore, I don't go out of state to shoot so no reason to convert. If I ever did I'd just swap it out with the normal mag release which is in my range bag.

As for SHTF, I think I'd have time to swap it out as well.

awall919
10-14-2011, 12:49 AM
I would be worried it would back out so I use a standard B.B. If I ever go out of state to shoot I will likely just buy a standard mag release and install once out of california. I may re-install the Raddlock if I ever use a .22lr conversion in my AR, that seems like it would make things a bit easier.

Merc1138
10-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Some people bought the BB before the raddlock existed.
Some people buy whichever one happens to be cheaper.
Some people never travel out of state and don't care about the different modes.
Some people don't care to "upgrade" their magazine lock.
Some people don't want to risk an "accident".

In my case I built a lower with "features", decided to go featureless, then realized I had a bunch of parts lying around to build another lower with "evil features", so that 2nd lower has my old BB on it.

Scratch705
10-14-2011, 12:55 AM
cause sometimes people bought the other bullet button before raddlock was out and don't see the point in buying another bullet button type part.

Arisaka
10-14-2011, 6:11 AM
I bought the Bullet Button Convertible. It hasn't come loose or changed settings in over a year. I bought it because it had just come out at the time and was cheaper than the regular BulletButton.

tomd1584
10-14-2011, 6:33 AM
Because when I go shooting at my house in AZ, I take the whopping 2 minutesto switch outto a standard mag release.

The bullet button wrench, freelock, radlock, etc just don't work as well as the standard mag lock. I had the freelock work itself out to the point it almost completely fell out.

I've had the magnet thingy from solar tactical fall out in the AZ desert and get lost forever- there goes $10.

IMO it's just easier to take the few minutes and use the standard mag release, instead of worryin about wrenches and magnets.

10-14-2011, 6:47 AM
I have a Prince 50 mag lock which is a normal magazine lock but has a little allen screw that is screwed in. When I go out of state I can just screw it 3 turns (with the supplied key) and have a regualr magazine release.
Allen Key stores in my Magpul MIAD grip perfectly, along with 3 spare 5.56 rounds :44:

h0use
10-14-2011, 6:49 AM
I like the raddlock alot have them on 3 of my rifles. Just keep it in the locked position and use a bullet tool. I like them because it came in different colors to match my builds.
I do like the fact it can turn into a regular button in a few seconeds.

starsnuffer
10-14-2011, 7:41 AM
I think the radlock has a smaller hole, and some people have had issues with it when using the UBBT.

-W

GillaFunk
10-14-2011, 7:51 AM
I didnt know about the radlock until about a month ago. Once I checked them out I installed one on one of my 2 AR's.

To me, its a no brainer. If I ever feel the need to build another AR I'll go radklock. BB make no sense to me now.

FatalKitty
10-14-2011, 8:11 AM
I use a normal BB because I don't go out of state ever. and if I did it takes a grand total of about 40 seconds to change out to the standard mag release.

I also don't suffer any delusions about SHTF/zombies/TEOTW whatever the hell you want to call your super gun fantasy.

also if world war 3 happened.. your AR ain't gonna stop ****

Speedpower
10-14-2011, 8:24 AM
I use a normal BB because I don't go out of state ever. and if I did it takes a grand total of about 40 seconds to change out to the standard mag release.

I also don't suffer any delusions about SHTF/zombies/TEOTW whatever the hell you want to call your super gun fantasy.

+1 :clap:

and because Bullet button is only half the price!

motorwerks
10-14-2011, 8:39 AM
I LOVE my radlocks (all 5 of them), but it really only takes a few second to change a normal BB to a Standard button. That said. NON of my Radlocks have ever had an "accident", they have always stayed locked no mater how many rounds I've sent down range.

dfens
10-14-2011, 8:40 AM
Some good things to take into account from reading this thread, when purchasing a new rifle. I don't worry about SHTF all day long just threw it out as a example going out of state is more realistic. And the whole thing if it ever fails.

I just didn't know they existed I've known about the BB for a long time, didn't know the raddlock had a smaller hole good info.

So I guess I'll need to decide which one to get.

X-NewYawker
10-14-2011, 8:49 AM
I prefer the normal BB because there is 0% chance I could accidentally have it in the wrong configuration. Furthermore, I don't go out of state to shoot so no reason to convert. If I ever did I'd just swap it out with the normal mag release which is in my range bag.

This.

RAMCHARGER
10-14-2011, 8:56 AM
I have the old BB one mine. It stays that way even when I go outta state.
I can swap a mag on my BB'ed Ar faster that my buddies can swap a AK make without a mag-lock. Plus my son in AZ has a few Beta Mags for when I visit, so my target is cut in half long before I need to change a mag :)
Besides for SHTF I'll go for my Kalash anyway...

hk91666
10-14-2011, 9:19 AM
I have and love my bullet button I also have the wonder wrench which I keep in a comparment on my stock. If I go out of state or as the OP suggested SHTF. I can remove it from compartment and turn in 2-3 threads and it works as if it was always attached . I do not care it is bright red or not. I will not leave it in in PRK as that would be a felony.

951temec
10-14-2011, 9:23 AM
So I haven't bought a neutered AR-15 yet, and one day I was talking to a guy at store noticed he was on a gun site looking at rifles we started chatting away and he told me he had a rad lock on his and when he goes out of state he turns a screw and it's a normal mag release. Comes back resets it.

Now I don't usually leave the state but if I ever did or say the SHTF really bad talking riots, WW III, or Z-day you could always just turn the screw and when your done turn it back and no one will ever know.

I'm not saying go ahead and use it like a normal mag release at the range or not have it in the BB configuration don't want to go to jail, but if the situation was bad enough you needing to reload multiple times then why not have the option?

And no when I get a AR will I won't use it as a primary weapon, hell even if I needed the power of a rifle 10 rounds better be enough or I'm screwed. Just wondering what which one is better the BB or a rad lock style.

Or is it people don't want to risk it failing or their being a question of it being or becoming a normal mag release?

i buy my magazines converted
and they have that little nipple for the specific purpose of hitting the bullet button pre-installed

also the bullet button is cheaper

Shellshocker66
10-14-2011, 9:55 AM
Radlock here. I love options. I check it each time before I go to the range to make sure it hasn't backed out. So far no problems.

SDM44
10-14-2011, 9:55 AM
I was just recently in the market for a BB since I'm building my first AR.

Like others said, it's just a matter of preference on what you like as they all do the same thing. The only differences in being their design and how to make them into a normal release.

That said, I watched lots of videos online with people showing their different BB's, and I ended up getting the Vamfire MLD since I really liked the way it operated & looked the best. Raddlock was originally my first choice but after a few vids, I went with Vamfire (plus it was $2 cheaper). Point being, that was my decision and others my feel differently but each BB will achieve the same results.

someR1
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Raddlock is amazing.

I have one AR with Raddlock- one without- and I like the Raddlock WAY better

robcoe
10-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Basically this, though in a SHTF scenario the my AR is not what I would grab anyway, so I really don't worry about it.

El_Guapo!
10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
you tell me.....

If your not going to help the guy out. You shouldn't post.
Some of you guys are just plain rude on here.

Packy14
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM

is what it is, at least it makes it easy to know who you should add to your ignore list and never do business with :)

Splinter
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I would go bullet button for the basic fact that if you do have a brush with an overzealous LE, you are not gonna be there when they examine your rifle. I dont want the chance that it backs out magically while they are checking it for legality behind closed doors. Defending that it can become fully operational with a couple turns of an allen screw, or that it can back out by itself just doesnt go over well with me. A felony is a felony. Your not gonna get out of it because it is supposed to work a certain way.

redking
10-14-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.thewarstore.org/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_9_10.jpg

21SF
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Ok, ill be big enough to apologize to the OP, and even the the el guapo dude, sorry.

back to thread.

I use the radlock but i lock tite'd the screw since i dont leave cali much.

tacticalcity
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Common misconception about how they work.

My original Prince50 Bullet Button will work like a normal magazine release just by loosening the button thanks to the Vampfire FreeLock Red Upgrade button.

The new Convertible Bullet Buttons function that way all on their own with no upgrade parts. It has 3 different configuration modes. 1-Maglock 2-Bullet Button 3-Normal Magazine Release. You switch between them by tightening down or loosening and allen bolt.

So there is nothing particularly unique or special about the way the Raddlock works. It does what the other buttons do, it just goes about it differently.

For those who are still confused and think Prince50 is the name of the Maglock, it is not. That's the screenname and company name of the guy who invented these things.

By the way, the HK Raddlock sucks. Had a bear of time getting it installed on my HK91 clone. Damn thing didn't want to stay on either. Not that the Prince50 version was any better. Somebody needs to come out with a better design for the classic HKs...but that is neither here nor there since we are talking about AR15s.

tonelar
10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I run Prince50 Bullet Buttons. When Im out of state, I just swap out the release for a standard one.

tacticalcity
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I run Prince50 Bullet Buttons. When Im out of state, I just swap out the release for a standard one.

Wouldn't hurt to look into the FreeLock red button upgrade. It's a nice feature to have.

evidens83
10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I run the regular Prince 50 BB as well. Swapping it out when out of state is a piece of cake takes less than a minute :thumbsup:

tomd1584
10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Wouldn't hurt to look into the FreeLock red button upgrade. It's a nice feature to have.

my experience would say otherwise. I've had it nearly fall out on several occaisions. It just doesn't provide the surface area & positive contact that a normal mag release does.

If you're going to take the time to loosen the Freelock, you may as well just install the standard one.

smog7
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM

exactly.

theicecreamdan
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Bullet button, because I could buy it at the shop closest to my apartment. It was cheaper. I don't leave CA often. I still have the normal mag release if I need it.

Steve1968LS2
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I have the type with the small red tool.. when I go out of state I screw the tool into the bullet button and it work normal.. before I come back into the state I unscrew it out.. the red color help me forget to do it when I'm breaking down my mags and neutering my PS90

awall919
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM

I kinda like this idea. The fact that it replaces the center nut as well as being red is pretty cool(easy identification if it has backed). I also like that it uses the existing B.B which will make identification by LEOs just as easy as a standard B.B configuration. I may have to order one for myself. Cool that it comes with the tool as well, If the OP is lookinf for a B.B alternative this IMO would be a great option for the price.

bloodhawke83
10-14-2011, 1:03 PM
not like reinstalling the og release will be hard when SHTF.

wash
10-14-2011, 1:05 PM
I am strongly considering a featureless build for my next rifle.

On featured ARs, I prefer the standard Assault Planet Bullet Button. It's pretty much fool-proof if it's installed right and it's quite easy to change out when the time comes.

When I want to get fancy, I'll get a CAL-15BS bullet button but sometimes the shroud slides sticking the mag release down and when you take the shroud off for free state mode, it still isn't as good as a standard mag release.

So whatever bullet button you install, keep the standard mag release parts from your LPK so that you can ditch you bullet button when the time comes...

hardluck
10-14-2011, 1:47 PM

^this + I believe a % is donated to Calguns on every purchase & that is a win in my book.
Edit: I am talking about the Prince50

Speedpower
10-14-2011, 1:55 PM
I have Raddlocks on my SIG556 and AR10/LR308, it's a nice feature and way more expensive, but with the introduction of the tool/wrench for the Prince 50 BB I begin to consider using the it on all my future AR builds, did I mention half the price? Raddlock $35.00 to $38.00, Prince 50 BB with wrench included is only $18.95 here: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/937414/prince-50-designs-bullet-button-magazine-release-assembly-ar-15-with-wrench

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/thumbnail/937/937414.jpg

Javi
10-14-2011, 2:36 PM

Bravo on the username/avatar combo hahah, I love it.

I wanted the Raddlock originally but eh, going with the 'bullet button' because it's $20.

Revolver Ocelot
10-14-2011, 2:55 PM
I rock the regular bullet button with a speed funnel and the tool for my middle finger. Mag hanges arr about as fluid and fast as you can get to a regular release.

My saiga would be my SHTF choice anyways.

stix213
10-14-2011, 3:05 PM
I have a regular BB on my featured AR, and regular mag release on my featureless I recently built. I don't see any reason to get me a Raddlock. Not that I'd hate on anyone else getting one.

Ryan in SD
10-14-2011, 3:27 PM
By the way, the HK Raddlock sucks. Had a bear of time getting it installed on my HK91 clone. Damn thing didn't want to stay on either. Not that the Prince50 version was any better. Somebody needs to come out with a better design for the classic HKs...but that is neither here nor there since we are talking about AR15s.

Yeah, I had to install on for a friend. Wow does it suck!

supertrooper
10-14-2011, 3:34 PM

+ 1

moleculo
10-14-2011, 5:51 PM
Use whatever floats your boat.

When I first saw the Radlock, I liked that it only took a standard flat head screwdriver to change the configuration. A screwdriver is a much easier tool to find/make in a pinch than an alan wrench. I DO go to Nevada several times a year and take the guns with me to shoot, so it's a matter of convenience for me.

One other thing:

REALLY??
http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/really1.jpg

People saying they chose one mag release over another because of a $10 price difference?

REALLY??

Have two less beers at the bar if that's your decision criteria :)

The Virus
10-14-2011, 5:56 PM
I've been through them all. Finally went to featureless. Radlock is ok, BUT when using it in "standard" mag release mode the damn thing always starts to loosen itself, so I had to carry a screwdriver and keep tightening it down every 30 or 60 rds. when running hi speed drills or training it was a pain in the ***.

Javi
10-14-2011, 5:59 PM
One other thing:

REALLY??
http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/really1.jpg

People saying they chose one mag release over another because of a $10 price difference?

REALLY??

Have two less beers at the bar if that's your decision criteria :)

I need that $10 haha

Merc1138
10-14-2011, 6:02 PM
I need that $10 haha

It's $10 that could be better spent on ammo if you don't care about the mode changing feature.

Javi
10-14-2011, 7:12 PM
Yup, exactly. I'm not anticipating going out of state often. I haven't left here in..at least 5-7 years. I need a vacation :)

Speedpower
10-14-2011, 7:17 PM
Last time I check Raddlock is $38.00 against $18.95 for the Prince 50 BB, so that's $19.05 not $10.00 and if you are planning to build more AR's then that's costly, it adds up!

TKM
10-14-2011, 7:53 PM
Working, duh!

tacticalcity
10-14-2011, 8:40 PM
is what it is, at least it makes it easy to know who you should add to your ignore list and never do business with :)

If only the ignore button kept them from posting in threads you start and from using the quote button on your comments.

tacticalcity
10-14-2011, 8:41 PM
Last time I check Raddlock is $38.00 against $18.95 for the Prince 50 BB, so that's $19.05 not $10.00 and if you are planning to build more AR's then that's costly, it adds up!

The fair comparision would be the prices between the Raddlock and the Convertable Bullet Button as functionality wise they are the closest. But I agree, ever since the new version of the Bullet Button came out the Original Bullet Button became very affordable. Thankfully I already sold my stock pile. Otherwise that would have sucked. Retail just became the dealer cost I paid.

Cokebottle
10-14-2011, 8:45 PM

This.

0% chance that I can have it in the wrong configuration, and 0% chance that an arresting officer can put it in the wrong configuration on it's way to the evidence locker.

I am not at all in any way a fan of "convertible" bullet buttons.
I don't even keep my red BB-wrench tool in the same case as the gun. It generally stays home.

Dave A
10-14-2011, 9:12 PM
Std bullet button because it is essentially foolproof. Made my own tool so it can be screwed down tight so mag cannot be released should I want to top load only. If going out of state, my spare parts and essential tools kit contains the original mag release parts.

PS - you can buy the tool at Discount Shooters Supply in Roseville.

ivanimal
10-14-2011, 9:18 PM
Because the B-16 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=146528) is way better than either.

donking
10-15-2011, 5:54 PM
I think the radlock has a smaller hole, and some people have had issues with it when using the UBBT.

-W

I have gen-X raddlock on all rifles and UBBT on all mags. No issues with any of them.
:cool2:

RRichie09
10-15-2011, 9:57 PM
This.

0% chance that I can have it in the wrong configuration, and 0% chance that an arresting officer can put it in the wrong configuration on it's way to the evidence locker.

I am not at all in any way a fan of "convertible" bullet buttons.
I don't even keep my red BB-wrench tool in the same case as the gun. It generally stays home.

You should atleast bring a screwdriver that fits in the hold cause the nut can back out. I just keep the red BB-wrench in my range bag in a case with my other tools.

Cokebottle
10-15-2011, 10:50 PM
You should atleast bring a screwdriver that fits in the hold cause the nut can back out. I just keep the red BB-wrench in my range bag in a case with my other tools.
My multi-tool is always on my belt.

jhaselton
10-15-2011, 11:57 PM
The bullet button requires a proprietary tool to install/remove it and if you put loctite on the bullet button, like the instructions say to, you will have one heck of a time getting it off. That little red tool will more than likely break when you try and remove a bullet button with loctite on it. If you don't loctite it then you run the risk of it coming loose and falling off. I've seen all of these scenario's happen many times. I've had to grind off a bunch of magazine releases to remove stripped out bullet button's.

The raddlock only requires a flat head screw driver to install/remove it and you don't have to put loctite on it to keep it from falling off. The biggest downside to the raddlock is that you could accidentally leave it in an illegal configuration when you're returning from a free state and not notice it at a quick glance.

Either way you go will work. You have to decide what you're comfortable with. I would suggest looking at both products in person then deciding.

tacticalcity
10-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I get that you've had some bad experiences, but you're comments are not exactly an accurate depiction.

Yes, a tool works great. Yes a flat head also works great. No loctite is not the best way to do it, but the instructions offer that as only ONE way of doing it - the permanent maglock way which they make crystal clear. So if you do it that way, you made that choice on your own and fully informed. They tell you how to do other ways as well - all of which I mentioned in my earlier posts and don't feel a need to repeat myself.

tacticalcity
10-16-2011, 12:10 AM

Magpul MOE/MIAD and other grips with storage compartments are great for storing the tools and a normal button.

tacticalcity
10-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Because the B-16 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=146528) is way better than either.

Long time no run into brother. Hope life has been kind.

nick
10-16-2011, 12:19 AM
I use BB because I bought a bunch of them on sale. That, and I have the regular mag releases from the LPKs I bought, so it would take a minute or two to swap them when needed.

ivanimal
10-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Long time no run into brother. Hope life has been kind.

We will meet again. Small word it is.....................:)

Santa Cruz Armory
10-16-2011, 12:26 AM

Agreed! I have them on all my ARs, except the dedicated .22lr.

RT13
10-16-2011, 1:12 AM
Raddlock rules.:D