PDA

View Full Version : Gun Search (Noobie Gun Owner)

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-13-2011, 8:28 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm Steve!

I have a question. I'm a Security Guard in Southern California. I just got my Firearm Permit and a Security Company said I have to look for a Semi-Automatic Handgun with an External Safety and De-cocking Lever. It can be any caliber because I qualified for all of them. I'd prefer a .45. I tried looking at Gallery of Guns but it doesn't let me filter as precisely as I need. Any suggestions for a gun with an External Safety and De-cocking Lever?

If you have any questions pertaining my said needed gun, just reply to my post and i'll try to answer as knowledgeable as possible. :)
P.S. I hope I put this in the correct category. Mods feel free to move this to the correct category as you see fit. Thanks! :)

bruceflinch
10-13-2011, 8:49 PM
Typical DAO, Double Action Only.
Berreta 92fs is 9mm,
the 94fs is the .40.?

Are you limited to 10 round magazines?

Peter.Steele
10-13-2011, 8:54 PM
96 is .40, Bruce.

+1 for the Beretta, though. I love my 92FS.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-13-2011, 8:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm limited to 10 Round, I believe only LEO's are exempt from the 10 Round law.

Whats the recoil on the 92FS? Isn't that what most LEO's use for Duty Carry? I've fired Glock 17, Glock 21, Springfield XD45 & Springfield 9mm and a Smith and Wesson 9mm (neither of them had de-cocking levers.)

mossy
10-14-2011, 1:00 AM
i would say look at a HK before you get a Beretta. i never liked the Beretta even though it was the gun i used when i first learned how to shoot a handgun. something about the grip angle never agreed with me. i know HK's are expensive but given the your criteria glocks and sigs are out.

Merc1138
10-14-2011, 1:34 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm limited to 10 Round, I believe only LEO's are exempt from the 10 Round law.

Whats the recoil on the 92FS? Isn't that what most LEO's use for Duty Carry? I've fired Glock 17, Glock 21, Springfield XD45 & Springfield 9mm and a Smith and Wesson 9mm (neither of them had de-cocking levers.)

Most LEOs seem to be using glocks, sigs, HKs, and many other manufacturers these days.

Considering the weight of the 92fs compared to say, the glock 17 the recoil is a bit more mild. The 92fs really only got popular because the US military adopted it, that's about it. Personally I hate the slide mounted safety, the grip seems really fat, it's overall size is huge for a 9mm.

As I recall the FNX series has a de-cocking lever and manual safety(although you'd probably have to get one via single shot exemption).

I know Sig had at least one model with a manual safety, probably got discontinued.

I think the ruger P series has a de-cocker and manual safety.

voiceofreason
10-14-2011, 5:27 AM
External Safety AND decocking lever?

Are you sure? External Safety rules out Sigs, Glocks, and the smaller caliber M&Ps.

Decocking lever rules out .45 M&Ps, 1911s, XDs,

Sounds like your employer prefers Berettas. Is it okay if the external safety and decocking lever are one and the same? If so, you might be SOL on finding this gun.

Ask your employer or co-workers for a list of guns that have already been approve or are carried by others within company policy.

Would like to see this list.

If they're more lenient on external safety (Glock safe trigger safety, grip safety, etc.), perhaps a Sig. Bore axis is too high for my taste, but very reliable and well made/expensive guns.

Not to be rude, but on a sec guard pay, you're better off getting a 9mm and getting the ammo at 1/2 the price and getting more practice than you are getting a .45 and shooting less. The difference in bullet effectiveness is small.

Where you place your shot is huge.

RedFord150
10-14-2011, 8:12 AM
Go to an indoor range that rents guns. Preferably during the week when it is slow.
Tell the range employees what your requirements are and let them show you what they have for rent. Even if you do not rent them, at least you get to handle them and see if you like them. The range guys will also tell you how reliable they are and how to field strip them.
If you find a couple you really like, rent them and see how they feel to you.
I own a 1911 and I am a fan of .45 acp. However, I agree that 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot and has plenty of good ammo choices. Most LE agencies chose 9mm when they first switched from revolvers to semi-autos. The US military switched from .45 to 9mm when they first chose the Beretta M1 for primary issue. 9mm is a good caliber.
My favorite indoor range is in Brea, CA and is http://www.ocindoorrange.com/. These guys will probably give you more ideas than you know what to do with.
Good luck.

audiopro74
10-14-2011, 9:23 AM
H&K usp fits those criteria. I have one in .45, and i love it. Spendy though.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-14-2011, 9:50 AM
Sounds like your employer prefers Berettas. Is it okay if the external safety and decocking lever are one and the same? If so, you might be SOL on finding this gun.

Yes External Safety and De-Cocking Lever. It can't be a trigger safety/grip safety like some Glocks have them (or most that I've fired). One of the armed guards said Beretta is what they prefer but HK is another weapon they will allow. The External Safety and De-Cocking lever can be the same switch. The gun just has to have both features.

I've actually been to Brea's Indoor Range. Thats where I was qualified at. They have lots of lanes and plenty of guns.

Prior to this company, I had my eyes set on a Glock 17 9mm. Most say the grips are weird or bulgy but they never bothered me. It doesn't have an external safety, just a trigger safety (its been a while and I don't recall if it had a grip safety - depress the grip to disengage the safety mech.)

Oh, My budget will be under $750 for sure. So if I could find something pre-owned with less then 8,000-10,000 rounds put in it that'd be great.

As I recall the FNX series has a de-cocking lever and manual safety(although you'd probably have to get one via single shot exemption).

Whats a Single Shot Exemption?

Merc1138
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Whats a Single Shot Exemption?

There is a sticky thread up at the top of the handgun forum explaining SSE.

RedFord150
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
If your employer really wants you to have an HK or a Beretta, you are probably better off satisfying their requirements with a used gun. Someday, they will probably change the policy and allow you to carry something you really want. Once that time comes, you might be able to sell the HK or Beretta for close to the amount paid and buy the next gun.
Glock is a Striker fired weapon, it does not have a hammer. I do not see how any Striker fired gun will satisfy your employer.
Now go back to OC Indoor and see what else they have ;-).
Good luck.

Mickael81
10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I used to hate the M9 (92F) Beretta in the service because they probably had 10,000 rounds go through each one of them but recently changed my mind. I shot my friends brand new Beretta 92F and that handguns was tight with no rattle and it recoiled less than my Glock 17.

Very nice. Besides, 9mm is cheaper. If you hit your target, it doesn't matter if its a. 22 or. 45, they're going down.

"Winning the hearts and minds; One in the heart, and two in the mind"

Syst3m Ov3rrid3
10-17-2011, 1:38 PM
I figured out what gun im gonna get. Gonna get the Beretta PX4 Storm. Got the Beretta PX4 Storm from a fellow CalGuns member :)

waiting for 10 day jail to pick it up