PDA

View Full Version : Magnifier flip mount cross bolt broke. Can I use the same screw as the Eotech sight?

Quinc
10-13-2011, 8:17 PM
Eotech L3 flip mount cross bolt broke (bolt that holds it to the rail) I emailed Eotech and the company that makes the mount but no replies after a week. also any tips on getting the rest of the bolt out of the threads?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118428&stc=1&d=1318562143

radd
10-13-2011, 8:31 PM
Had similar issue with 557. Get an RMA and sent optic in and they replace free of charge. I like good old customer service and talk to a live person, so I called them direct and left a message. Someone got back to me within the same day.

BDH
10-13-2011, 8:35 PM
I don't know if you can disassemble the rest to get at the far side of the hole, but usually you can use a pick or a scribe and get the broken piece to rotate until you can grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I got this off their web site...

Repair & Service Contact Info
For any of the areas mentioned, please contact Repair & Service, 9am (0900) - 4pm (1600) hrs, Monday - Friday, Eastern Standard Time, U.S.A. L-3 EOTech is closed every other Friday.

■Email: Michael.Kroll@L-3com.com
■Phone: 734.572.2176, and when prompted, select Post Sales Product Support (#8)
■Fax: 734.741.8221
All emails, phone calls, and faxes will usually be responded to on the same business day. If the communication is received outside of normal business hours, the communication will be responded to the following business day.

Why not call them?

Bruce

SuperSet
10-13-2011, 8:37 PM
I agree about calling their help line. EOTech support has always been top notch to me. Also, IIRC, Samson Mfg makes that mount for the EOTech Gen 1/G23 series so if you just need that bolt, they may have it.

kemikalembalance
10-13-2011, 8:49 PM
replace it with a Larue, if itll fit

rero360
10-13-2011, 9:07 PM
To get the rest of the bolt out, put a small small dab of an adhesive where the break occurred and push the two pieces back together, once the adhesive cures you should be able to unscrew the whole thing. I would recommend a bit of locktite or JB weld, even super glue should work.

Quinc
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
They had me call:
Distributor Lone Star products @ 866-670-7951

But Holy Fuk! they want 16$ to replace that one screw.. Anyone happen to know where I can find a replacement for less? I am going to check the hardware store this weekend..

Quinc
11-01-2011, 3:01 PM
Best deal I have found so far on a replacement.
8$ shipped
http://www.skdtac.com/EOTech-Sight-Thumb-Screw-p/eot.103.htm

crazychinaman
11-01-2011, 3:11 PM
Give them a call or e-mail agian.They are great at e-mailing back or even calling back.They are real busy sometimes.It might take a little while. Had that problem years ago.They sent two bolts and a new battery cap for my Eotech.

NorCalK9.com
11-01-2011, 6:48 PM
Hecka funny same thing happened to me 2 days ago.

Quinc
11-01-2011, 8:23 PM
Hecka funny same thing happened to me 2 days ago.

Did you notice that you had to keep adjusting your flip mount every 20-50rds before it broke?

firemedic679
11-01-2011, 8:25 PM
same thing happened to me. i sent an email to samson. they said to send it back. they could not fix it so shipped me a brand new one free of charge! great customer service. give them a call.

Quinc
11-01-2011, 8:26 PM
same thing happened to me. i sent an email to samson. they said to send it back. they could not fix it so shipped me a brand new one free of charge! great customer service. give them a call.

Samson? Can you PM me the number you used?

radd
11-02-2011, 2:35 AM

I think those of us that broke the bolt, over torqued the bolt with a flat head screw driver. (I was being too anal. I was attempting to turn the screw in a bit more, so the slot is flat or parallel to the rails. This was going to help me remember how much to tighten back down, if I remove the sight after zeroing. Don't do it!)

I stopped using the screw drivers and followed the direction as suggested by the manufacture. Use a "Nickel" or any other coins that may fit in the slotted screws and let your fingers be the gauge, if you don't have torque screw drivers on hand. Never use torque wrench because their torque values are usually in ft/lb. Directions says 17 in/lb (Inch per pound)

If you have gorilla hands and crazy death grip, then use a "Dime". If you have baby hands that look like chicken fingers, then use a "Quarter". :p

Radd

tenpercentfirearms
11-02-2011, 7:02 AM
I would call EOTech and they should fix it. Companies with expensive products in demand fix or replace things like this no problem.

Quinc
11-02-2011, 5:01 PM
I would call EOTech and they should fix it. Companies with expensive products in demand fix or replace things like this no problem.

I did, they put me in contact with Lonestar who wanted to charge me 16.99 for a new one...

Quinc
11-03-2011, 9:46 AM
Best deal I have found so far on a replacement.
8$ shipped
http://www.skdtac.com/EOTech-Sight-Thumb-Screw-p/eot.103.htm

Use code SUCKIT for free shipping. So only 3$ shipped. :D