PDA

View Full Version : Had a very sad discussion today at lunch

BigFatGuy
10-13-2011, 4:31 PM
with some co-workers, including one who I've never met before. He grew up in Idaho, hunted his whole life, and was talking about how he just purchased a "pig gun" and couldn't wait to go hunting.

I was looking forward to lunch.

Then he went into how he had waited til his children had moved away to college because "it's never safe to have a gun in the house with a child", how crime would go away if we just had "yearly verification" of all guns owned by everyone in the state, and how having a pistol during a violent crime or campus shooting would do "nothing to help the situation because we aren't as trained as cops are".

Oh yes, and how he'd heard about Fast and Furious, and couldn't believe that the government was right, and all those weapons were being sold to Mexican drug lords by Arizona gun shops.

Good lord... :facepalm:

CessnaDriver
10-13-2011, 4:41 PM
Send him the link to the NRA's "Armed Citizen" and see the thousands of non-cops that did just fine.

ElvenSoul
10-13-2011, 4:44 PM
Just Wow!

Kodemonkey
10-13-2011, 4:52 PM
What the heck is "yearly verification".

Glock_fanboy
10-13-2011, 5:23 PM
:facepalm:

Kinsel83
10-13-2011, 5:43 PM
Depressing......Unfortunately there's more drones like him throughout this country.

Steve1968LS2
10-13-2011, 5:57 PM
I'm better trained than your average cop that only shoots his weapon at the qualifier..

But, the drones like them that only half-listen to the news get to vote just like us.. I wonder how I'm still alive since I grew up in a house with guns.. and back then they weren't even in safes. We just knew better.

five.five-six
10-13-2011, 6:01 PM
well, things are looking up for the pig

Mr. Burns
10-13-2011, 6:05 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:well, things are looking up for the pig

Jasonaspears
10-13-2011, 6:17 PM
Unbelievable! Oi-vey

BigFatGuy
10-13-2011, 6:33 PM
What the heck is "yearly verification".

Basically a yearly inventory (in person, by a LEO) of every firearm you own, to make sure none of your firearms have been stolen without being reported... because then the criminals won't be able to get any firearms.

I was stunned...

BroncoBob
10-13-2011, 7:54 PM
Holy shzzzzzzzzt :eek:

RTE
10-13-2011, 8:21 PM
Holy Hell You have your work cut out for you

Send this misguided fellow a few links to the facts of life.

Just-in
10-13-2011, 8:21 PM
Poor bastard.
Don't give up on the SOB though he's already gone a good 18 years without a firearm for no damn reason. He's suffered enough...

Rob454
10-13-2011, 8:26 PM
Why do people assume because cops carry guns they automatically are "better" with a gun than a civilian

Olav
10-13-2011, 8:30 PM
That is sad.

bruceflinch
10-13-2011, 8:41 PM

You can say that , again.... :facepalm:

Just-in
10-13-2011, 9:02 PM
Why do people assume because cops carry guns they automatically are "better" with a gun than a civilian

Because the truth is scary.

socalocalypse
10-13-2011, 9:14 PM
I just talked to a friend of mine in boston that thinks similarly. Its kinda amazing to hear someone that thinks so differently.

He thinks every kind of gun control makes us safer. I think it just makes criminals safer.

He believes laws deter criminals from getting guns. I believe criminals get guns in criminal ways. Stolen weapons are cheaper and no paperwork hassles.

He belives cops keep us safe. I believe id rather deter the crime before I'm a victim rather than make a useless report after it happens.

Its kinda amazing.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

MrExel17
10-13-2011, 9:26 PM
:facepalm: I'm with you guys!

mosinnagantm9130
10-13-2011, 9:30 PM
Wow. Just wow.

mlevans66
10-13-2011, 9:37 PM
Wha!? :eek:

Just-in
10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm always curious to understand what personal experience draws people to think this way, or is it just put in their heads.

bUm805
10-14-2011, 12:09 AM
well, things are looking up for the pig

LOL and wow

Merc1138
10-14-2011, 1:12 AM
Then he went into how he had waited til his children had moved away to college because "it's never safe to have a gun in the house with a child", how crime would go away if we just had "yearly verification" of all guns owned by everyone in the state, and how having a pistol during a violent crime or campus shooting would do "nothing to help the situation because we aren't as trained as cops are".

You've just had a conversation with the exact type of gun owner that supported the federal and CA assault weapon bans.

That Kevin DeLeon guy that keeps trying to pass ammo bills? He shoots clays.

Those cowboy action shooters? They've supported various anti gun legislation in the past, and got their various single action revolver, lever/pump action exemptions.

You've just met the kind that falls into Kevin DeLeon's category. "It's ok if it looks like grandpas old deer rifle or O/U, but those evil military style weapons have to go". These are the idiots that insisted ARs have no sporting use, no one needs a magazine over 5 rounds, semi auto shotguns are destructive devices, etc. They don't care about anything modern(more like half century or older when you consider the age of the AR, AK, semi auto shotgun, semi auto handgun, etc.), will not admit that their "traditional"(outdated) sporting arms are also derived from military arms(hell, some rifle designs are either exact copies of military rifles, or actually were military rifles used in a war). They want to target "evil" guns, so that their own preferences will be left alone by way of exemptions.

They are tools.

Read this if you want a prime example of this type of idiot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Zumbo

Apparently he has "seen the light"(got educated by Ted Nugent) and become an actual supporter of the second amendment.

Maybe you just need to be this guy's "Nuge", but in the meantime he's still a tool.

PsychGuy274
10-14-2011, 2:33 AM
I agree with everything your buddy said. Spot on. :hide:

Merc1138
10-14-2011, 2:58 AM
I agree with everything your buddy said. Spot on. :hide:

:90:

scarville
10-14-2011, 5:18 AM
Gosh. Licensing and registration works with cars doesn't it :rolleyes:

haole_50
10-14-2011, 6:22 AM
"yearly verification" - sounds like a smog check for guns!

Kodemonkey
10-14-2011, 6:42 AM
Basically a yearly inventory (in person, by a LEO) of every firearm you own, to make sure none of your firearms have been stolen without being reported... because then the criminals won't be able to get any firearms.

I was stunned...

...and what is supposed to happen if you have a gun stolen? Is he concerned that people overwhelmingly don't report gun theft, or that the gun owners lose their guns a lot like loose change in the couch?

His plan...was any thought put into it at all?

The bright side is that this guy apparently doesn't give thought to these things and probably doesn't care that much. Meaning that a intelligent an unemotional conversation could help him see the light.

Some of us gun owners get so outraged about how stupid the gun laws are because we have applied critical thinking and analysis to what they actually do to prevent crime. But if we get too emotional about it in conversation who isn't as invested a we are, we lose them. It's kind of analogous to talk radio with me. Sometimes those guys get outraged over the most inane things. Not only does it make me think;"dude, calm down." but it taints anything else he says in the future.

The key is to be non judgmental and try to understand their side of it and then carefully rip apart their arguments. Statements like;" I don't want criminals to have guns either." help establish common ground.

You're dealing with people who feel emotional about guns because of fear. When we are able to remove the fear of the gun itself and place it squarely on where the fear should lie (the criminals), the transition is much easier for them. I've turned my wife from anti gun (like no guns in the house) to NRA member and IDPA shooter that way. It took a lot of conversations and a lot of effort, but it was totally worth it.

goodlookin1
10-14-2011, 6:46 AM
Yet, if you asked him, I bet he would say he supports the Second Amendment!

thai562
10-14-2011, 6:54 AM
WOW
ignorance is our country greatest expense.

chuckdc
10-14-2011, 7:31 AM
:90::ban::hammer:I agree with everything your buddy said. Spot on. :hide:

Divernhunter
10-14-2011, 10:45 AM
He should have used birth control. That way he would have not brought into this world any kids who have the same warped values as he does.

Actually his parents should have used birth control and we would not have another retard/misguided sheep to deal with.

BigFatGuy
10-14-2011, 11:44 AM
...and what is supposed to happen if you have a gun stolen? Is he concerned that people overwhelmingly don't report gun theft, or that the gun owners lose their guns a lot like loose change in the couch?

He told me the primary source of guns for criminals is stealing them from under the front seats of cars where people illegally CCW them... and that they would stop if they had to file a stolen-gun report every time it happened.

Librarian
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
He told me the primary source of guns for criminals is stealing them from under the front seats of cars where people illegally CCW them... and that they would stop if they had to file a stolen-gun report every time it happened.
I would be just fascinated to learn the source of that claim.

Surely guns are stolen, but that's awfully specific. Seems to be at odds with actual (http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/guns.cfm) research (http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF).

vintagearms
10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Guess he thinks that crimes were never committed before guns came to be. :facepalm:

PsychGuy274
10-14-2011, 1:55 PM
:90::ban::hammer:

Relax, I was joking.

morfeeis
10-14-2011, 1:59 PM
funny me my brother and my sister grew up with a crap load of guns in our home and no one was ever killed.

Kodemonkey
10-14-2011, 2:11 PM
I would be just fascinated to learn the source of that claim.

Probably the same place the Brady Foundation gets their information.

Interesting read. Even PBS contradicts the claim that most guns used in crimes are stolen.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

redking
10-14-2011, 2:23 PM
We should make it mandatory for all criminals to have their illegal/stolen guns verified.

Dave A
10-14-2011, 9:00 PM
Sounds like he was run out of Idaho on a rail by people who have more common sense than he does. That said, I am assuming he lives in Kalif now?

Ubermcoupe
10-14-2011, 9:16 PM
Poor bastard.
Don't give up on the SOB though he's already gone a good self imposed 18 years without a firearm for no damn reason. He's suffered enough... as his ignorance has led him to believe

Fix'd it ;)

Turbinator
10-16-2011, 5:58 PM
Sounds like you really should just get in there and confiscate his guns, and keep them for yourself. You know, because clearly, he's not man enough to face reality and acknowledge the true facts of gun ownership, and he's not worthy of owning firearms.

Turby

Tarn_Helm
10-17-2011, 5:58 AM

His plan...was any thought put into it at all?

The bright side is that this guy apparently doesn't give thought to these things and probably doesn't care that much. Meaning that a intelligent an unemotional conversation could help him see the light.

Some of us gun owners get so outraged about how stupid the gun laws are because we have applied critical thinking and analysis to what they actually do to prevent crime. But if we get too emotional about it in conversation who isn't as invested a we are, we lose them. It's kind of analogous to talk radio with me. Sometimes those guys get outraged over the most inane things. Not only does it make me think;"dude, calm down." but it taints anything else he says in the future.

The key is to be non judgmental and try to understand their side of it and then carefully rip apart their arguments. Statements like;" I don't want criminals to have guns either." help establish common ground.

You're dealing with people who feel emotional about guns because of fear. When we are able to remove the fear of the gun itself and place it squarely on where the fear should lie (the criminals), the transition is much easier for them. I've turned my wife from anti gun (like no guns in the house) to NRA member and IDPA shooter that way. It took a lot of conversations and a lot of effort, but it was totally worth it.

It depends on whom you work for.

If you have the right job, your employer will buy you new guns for free (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lapd-guns-missing-20111017,0,3752873.story).

Don Edmondson
10-17-2011, 7:27 AM
In Idaho most cars you stop Have a rifle or pistol in it that guy was kicked out for thinking like that. Also the biggest Church teach the kids shooting skills. I never met anyone that through like that Don

coyotebait
10-17-2011, 7:54 AM
funny me my brother and my sister grew up with a crap load of guns in our home and no one was ever killed.

Hey, me too. My guns must be broken......oh and :facepalm: